Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    webos browser only refreshes when memory is needed. The 1.4 update was buggy with killing background apps and taking up memory, thus making the browser refresh more often. It's been better since 1.4.1 and the preware update that doesn't interfere with background task.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Right. Hence, multitasking.
    Try switching between two third party apps... cheating is not allowed.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    see that thread for some things ios can't do. Also, I can switch apps on my stock sprint pre from a loaded 3d game to a loaded mobile web page with one swipe. No lag or tmc most times while switching. ios 4 takes multiple actions to switch and has to reload the 3d game each time you switch to it.
    That's only true until the developers start using the new APIs in iOS 4. Software has to be recompiled to fully take advantage of the new features.

I would say if there's one place that iOS absolutely kills webOS it's in the full set of APIs available to app developers. I know webOS is moving that way (slowly) but iOS has such a head start. I'm talking about things like mic & camera access, media library access, etc.

We'll see how this all shakes out once HP (hopefully) puts some development dollars behind webOS.

--Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Try switching between two third party apps... cheating is not allowed.
    I do just that with Dropbox and Evernote.
  5.    #25  
    PC WORLD: Multitasking With iOS 4 is Horrible: Apple Blew It

Multitasking With iOS 4 is Horrible: Apple Blew It - PCWorld

The article say it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    No it didn't catch up with webOS on multitasking but they did develop a resonably elegant way to multitask that will probably end the "but the iphone doesn't multitask" argument for most users. As far as folders go they beat webOS by a mile since that option doesn't exist.
    Apple needed folders to increase the number of apps that could be installed since they have a artificial limit in their OS. Also because of the physical keyboard it is easier to find an app in webOS devices compared to iphone.

I think apple is still catching up with webos. It maybe iphone 6 that catches up. However by then webOS will probably have something even better.

WebOS needs to add gui acceleration to increase responsiveness of the system along with voice api so that voice recognition can be incorportaed. I for one am eagerly awaiting webOS 2.0 for both of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I am on a 3G, and my web pages don't need to be refreshed. Even if the browser has not been open for days. So I never understood that issue. Side by side, i could always app switch between my browser and an app on the 3G much faster than i could on my Pre.

I do understand its not running in the background - I hadn't specifically thought of that as an advantage since I turn off anything that runs in the background, just to save battery - its not worth it to me if I can't go a full day on one charge.
    I am not sure when you checked it and what version of webOS was installed.
    I moved from a 3g to a pre in October 09 and pre was noticeably faster even while multotasking with several daemon's running. Battery life got much better after i tweaked my phone's setting. My pre has both yahoo messenger and google talk running 24/7 in the background. These are not apps with card.

My friend says battery life was pretty bad once he put pandora in the background on his 3GS. I say pre has a better battery life all things being equal. I went and bought a 2600 mAH battery for my pre and i can use it for up to 2 days without a recharge. However , i typically charge it every night.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I do just that with Dropbox and Evernote.
    ... and the apps needed to reload. I know your answer: but they load almost instantly. And my answer is: try with heavy apps.

If you're happy with that, I'm ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It also requires a user to move from one app at a time. Go ahead and open 20 apps, if you have enough memory. Now move from the first to the twentieth, one app at a time. At lease, Apple's (imperfect) implementation allows you to see four at a time, and move through them quickly.

As for the end user, they will experience a blazing fast UI that switches tasks, backgrounds, and task completes without costing them significant battery life, error messages, crashes, or usability. Just because Palm has a prettier implementation, that does not make it better.
    with palms implementation, you can see 3 apps, in full, side by side at onces. and when scrolling, speed of the flick is considered, so i can get to app 20, way faster on the pre than on the iphone (1 quick swipe to be specific).

multitasking on the pre isnt better because its prettier. its because it works with EVERY APP without the devs modifying any code and with a better notification system.

i dont think apples take is bad, but it just doesnt stack up to the competition in that regard.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 06/26/2010 at 06:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    PC WORLD: Multitasking With iOS 4 is Horrible: Apple Blew It

Multitasking With iOS 4 is Horrible: Apple Blew It - PCWorld

The article say it all
    You've got to be kidding. Some of the less informed comments on this thread are a better argument against Apple's implementation that that hit piece. The whole article can be summed up and taken apart with the following quote:

"Developers must add multitasking functionality themselves, and the majority have yet to do so. This will fix itself with time, but the lack of support dampens the initial impact of iOS4's marquee feature."

Yes, developers have to do their part to enable this feature. This is done by updating their existing apps, or coding new ones using the developer tools sanctioned by Apple. That is exactly why they do not all Flash compilers. If they did, no app would multitask, or take advantage of any iOS4 features. Complain that Apple requires developers to use their tools (like every game console maker), or complain that the apps don't work like Apple says they should, but don't complain about both.

As for the practical reality, this thread is just mental masturbation for haters and geeks. This morning, I played a little Bejeweled 2 on my phone. My email chime sounded, and I quickly switched over to read it. When done, I switched back to play some more of my game which picked up right where I left off. That is the actual experience of multitasking on the iPhone. Most of the apps I use have already been updated, nor am I greatly inconvenienced by those that have not. This is the reality you are arguing against. The average user wouldn't know what you were complaining about.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You've got to be kidding. Some of the less informed comments on this thread are a better argument against Apple's implementation that that hit piece. The whole article can be summed up and taken apart with the following quote:

"Developers must add multitasking functionality themselves, and the majority have yet to do so. This will fix itself with time, but the lack of support dampens the initial impact of iOS4's marquee feature."

Yes, developers have to do their part to enable this feature. This is done by updating their existing apps, or coding new ones using the developer tools sanctioned by Apple. That is exactly why they do not all Flash compilers. If they did, no app would multitask, or take advantage of any iOS4 features. Complain that Apple requires developers to use their tools (like every game console maker), or complain that the apps don't work like Apple says they should, but don't complain about both.

As for the practical reality, this thread is just mental masturbation for haters and geeks. This morning, I played a little Bejeweled 2 on my phone. My email chime sounded, and I quickly switched over to read it. When done, I switched back to play some more of my game which picked up right where I left off. That is the actual experience of multitasking on the iPhone. Most of the apps I use have already been updated, nor am I greatly inconvenienced by those that have not. This is the reality you are arguing against. The average user wouldn't know what you were complaining about.
    well, until this time nobody has answered my question. How is multitasking compared with the Palm Pre, which of them is better, what are the differences? If you owned a Palm Pre what do you miss of it on your iphone4?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    meh. Each multitasking way has it's benefit so the best is having choice imo. Webos comes closest to that since devs can choose whether to pause an app (little different from saved state if apps are still in memory) or have it run if necessary. ie. Most webos games pause when in card mode however online games like cardace remain live, something I don't think you can do on ios4.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    ... and the apps needed to reload. I know your answer: but they load almost instantly. And my answer is: try with heavy apps.

If you're happy with that, I'm ok.
    What do you consider a "heavy app?" I just switched between two games (Tap Tap Revenge 3 and Plants vs Zombies) and it was nearly instantaneous.

Do you even know how fast app switching works in iOS4?
    IF... the apps on iphone support ios4 and design them to take advantage of iphones multitask method... then when two programs are running and switch back and forth, they will be both running and you would not see a difference. no apparant lag in performance.

the difference is in the switching and thats an esthetic issue and i think where people will say the palm is better and i agree.

switching on the iphone is ok... double tap and scroll left or right to find the app and click and it switches over... simple and quick. not sexy but it works.

closing apps... not as sexy as webos' swipe away... double click, hold down the app to make it wiggle then hit the x to close it. i guess they could do a flick up after double clicking the home button and save two steps but that's the way it is.

and the downer is the truth that if the app does not integrate it with apples method of multitasking... you cant and in that case it's not true multitasking in that you can choose to run those apps simultaneously.

if over time 99% of all apps are compliant then you'll probably never notice.

Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    well, until this time nobody has answered my question. How is multitasking compared with the Palm Pre, which of them is better, what are the differences? If you owned a Palm Pre what do you miss of it on your iphone4?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    IF... the apps on iphone support ios4 and design them to take advantage of iphones multitask method... then when two programs are running and switch back and forth, they will be both running and you would not see a difference. no apparant lag in performance.

the difference is in the switching and thats an esthetic issue and i think where people will say the palm is better and i agree.

switching on the iphone is ok... double tap and scroll left or right to find the app and click and it switches over... simple and quick. not sexy but it works.

closing apps... not as sexy as webos' swipe away... double click, hold down the app to make it wiggle then hit the x to close it. i guess they could do a flick up after double clicking the home button and save two steps but that's the way it is.

and the downer is the truth that if the app does not integrate it with apples method of multitasking... you cant and in that case it's not true multitasking in that you can choose to run those apps simultaneously.

All an app needs to do in order to support fast app switching and the new retina display is recompile using the new SDK.. that's it.
    Thanks. I thought Jobs had mentioned specific APIs for certain functions like music and such but I'll take your word for it. If they all just require recompile then I guess it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    All an app needs to do in order to support fast app switching and the new retina display is recompile using the new SDK.. that's it.
  17.    #37  

Thanks that was a great review
    Thanks. I thought Jobs had mentioned specific APIs for certain functions like music and such but I'll take your word for it. If they all just require recompile then I guess it's all good.
    Well, more work *is* needed if you want to use some of new the background-enabled APIs, but for what I mentioned above all a developer need to do is just recompile their app.
    my buddy has a new iphone and it really felt like it was a 2.0 version of teal for OS5. Maybe it's just me
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12