Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I have never, ever taken pleasure in anyone elses pain or misfortune, and, for the life of me, I can't understand why this thread exists to do just that.

You know, the first true smartphone was the Treo... it was just way ahead of its time - carriers didnt have the technology and consumers saw it as way more than they needed.

Then, along came the iPhone, and with some terrific design changes and a whole lot of marketting savy, they turned the world upside down, and now everyone wants a "smartphone", and they identify that term with the iPhone.

Like it or not, this is the consumer perception, and, guess what? That's just fine by me.

I don't need to tell everyone that the Pre is better, or that WebOS is better - if asked, I'll demonstrate why and let the other person decide if they agree or not... but, most importantly: I want a choice, always!!!

Now, the iPhone4 has a couple of problems - the yellow screen spotting and the antennae issue... and people are lining up to buy it, still... maybe word has not gotten out to them, or they don't care... because, its the next latest and greatest iPhone.

That isnt a bad thing in any regard. And, Apple will fix it and make it right. There is no question about that.

I finally bought a Pre+, even after all of the build quality issues, battery life issues, and known "small app" issues.. why did I do that?

Well, for the same reason people are lining up for the iPhone 4 - because the good outweighs the bad, in my/thier perception.

I think this thread is a bad idea... energy expended on poking fun at others or anything "different" doesn't promote discussion - it invites ego-based arguments and consequential degradations and is built on "negative energy" and is, therefore, wasted energy, and PreCentral users should aspire to more constructive and supportive issues than this.

I, for one, hope that Apple fixes the issues, and that the iPhone 4 continues to bring new customers into the smartphone world - the more the merrier, and, the more smartphone users there are, the more likely there will be challengers to the iPhone to make the experience an even better one for them, and, in turn, everyone.

We WebOS users are a minority, and, in that light, "shouting from the mountaintops" about how great WebOS is, is a GREAT thing, HOWEVER, making fun of other products is most certainly the "low road", and paints us all in a way that makes WebOS, and its products look tainted by association, which is a losing situation, no matter how you look at it.

IMO, of course.

Last edited by LCGuy; 06/27/2010 at 07:12 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Threads like these exist primarily because of the 'I'm better regardless' attitude of Apple and many of its users in general (I didn't say all) and the resulting avalanche of hype that comes along with their products. I know they'll still sell millions upon millions, however, none of it changes the fact that in many cases they're not quite what they're pretending to be.

So I'm not sure why some feel it's necessary to write long paragraphs defending them. They'll do just fine albeit with a slightly tarnished image (deservedly so) that might last, what, a couple weeks at the most? You can bet the media and the Steve Jobs owned tech publications will make every excuse in the world and everything will be back to normal in no time.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I have never, ever taken pleasure in anyone elses pain or misfortune, and, for the life of me, I can't understand why this thread exists to do just that.
    Cause payback is a bizzatch! In the Pre's early days TiPB trolls were here DAILY spouting garbage and attacking Palm, the Pre, and us. The "Anti-FUD" team was started to stop their gross falsifications about the device. Some of those people are now "BAN HAMMERED" lol

You know, the first true smartphone was the Treo... it was just way ahead of its time - carriers didnt have the technology and consumers saw it as way more than they needed.
    Well, I've been in IT for 15 years and the first smartphone was the unbelievably expensive (and chunky) Nokia 9000 (avail in the late 90's) [Handsprings] Treo didn't come on the scene until early 2000.

Then, along came the iPhone, and with some terrific design changes and a whole lot of marketting savy, they turned the world upside down, and now everyone wants a "smartphone", and they identify that term with the iPhone.
    Actually along came the IPOD and some marketing saturation (remember the silhouette ads?) and they got everyone's attention despite Creative and Archos having better products at the time. The "iPhone" was no more than an "enhanced iPod" to the large majority of users.

Now, the iPhone4 has a couple of problems - the yellow screen spotting and the antennae issue... and people are lining up to buy it, still... maybe word has not gotten out to them, or they don't care... because, its the next latest and greatest iPhone.
    Once, you are in an ecosystem, why move? X million iPod users became X million iPhone 2G users. Their friends wanted to be "in" and became XX iPhone 2G users (despite the shortcomings). Those XX 2G users became XX 3G users, etc., etc. Why wouldn't they sell millions of units? If you can get your customers to rebuy your products over and over year after year, you're a genius (evil genius?)

That isnt a bad thing in any regard. And, Apple will fix it and make it right. There is no question about that.
    Not so sure about that, did you see Jobs response?

I think this thread is a bad idea... energy expended on poking fun at others or anything "different" doesn't promote discussion - it invites ego-based arguments and consequential degradations and is built on "negative energy" and is, therefore, wasted energy, and PreCentral users should aspire to more constructive and supportive issues than this.
    Again, payback is a bizzatch.

I, for one, hope that Apple fixes the issues, and that the iPhone 4 continues to bring new customers into the smartphone world - the more the merrier, and, the more smartphone users there are, the more likely there will be challengers to the iPhone to make the experience an even better one for them, and, in turn, everyone.
    Unlikely based on their response so far. I think they may have grown to the point that they "no longer care" if there are issues and what they are "Just avoid holding it that way"....the ultimate F.U to the customer.
    Well they've lost a sale, even though it'll make no difference to them. Anyone selling a mint 3GS will get my money.

Now Steve supposedly said there's no issue.

Steve Jobs On iPhone 4: "There Is No Reception Issue. Stay Tuned."

I personally think they may have made a design error in usability. There's also shattered glass back stories. Obviously it's best not to drop your phone, but even so people do, and all glass is just asking for even more damage. I also saw a few Evo glass horror stories(though more from iPhone 4 to tell you the truth). All that glass isn't always good.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    evidence that they are all show. Make it thin and gorgeous, but requiring a case to make it big and ugly. That way the user thinks they have a beautiful device, and it is their own decision to bpput it in a case...

jobs is sneaky like that.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/27/2010 at 02:32 PM.
    here is what I expect Apple to do:

release a patch that changes how signal strength is reported in the UI. Signal wl be reported good when it isn't, and people wil blame at&t for dropping calls because the phone is reportin.g a good signal...
    Third parties happen to make cool cases for the 3G/3GS and they're probably going to start on the 4, so a case doesn't bother me. BUT I don't see how a case would stop the back from shattering unless it's a truly solid one, so that makes the phone much thicker.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    . . .
    Before anyone starts the standard "You're just an Apple apologist" garbage then please consider this issue:

Problem:
    Using the Pre with it on your shoulder (the poor-mans hands free) distorts voice quality so much that a conversation is impossible.

And when this problem was presented to these boards in multiple threads last year then the answer has always been the exact same thing...

Solution:
    "...then don't hold your Pre that way, stupid"

. . .]
    I didn't know about the Pre shoulder hold issue, but I have to say " You really shouldn't hold the phone that way." I have to remind employees annually about the physical issues that can result from propping the phone on their shoulder. When I see employees following such a practice, I advise their supervisors to be sure the employee has a headset or order one. Holding the phone on your shoulder is against safety policy for big-old-office- desk phone (due resulting neck & shoulder problems), it really shouldn't be done with a mobile phone.

But on another note, people really shouldn't call other forum members stupid just because they don't know correct ergonomic and safety policies. Come on people, we're here to share knowledge, not belittle those who seek our advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I didn't know about the Pre shoulder hold issue, but I have to say " You really shouldn't hold the phone that way." I have to remind employees annually about the physical issues that can result from propping the phone on their shoulder. When I see employees following such a practice, I advise their supervisors to be sure the employee has a headset or order one. Holding the phone on your shoulder is against safety policy for big-old-office- desk phone (due resulting neck & shoulder problems), it really shouldn't be done with a mobile phone.

But on another note, people really shouldn't call other forum members stupid just because they don't know correct ergonomic and safety policies. Come on people, we're here to share knowledge, not belittle those who seek our advice.
    Holding a phone that way is a great way to drop it... and we all know that people with glass phones shouldn't drop them...
    I think everybody should just calm down and give apple a few days. If the rumors are true, and a software fix comes out this week, this problem will be completely forgotten in short time.

For those that insist that it's a hardware issue and it can't be fixed by a patch, you might need to be prepared to eat some crow.

I have seen the problem on my device exactly once. I was also trying to get the signal to fail when I did see it. It would be impossible for me to go back to my 3GS now. iPhone 4 is so much superior in every way. I took 720p video of the kids yesterday at the beach. I edited it (iMovie), threw in some cool transitions and music. Then I emailed it out to family all before I left the beach. In addition, I did a FaceTime video chat with my college roomate in Michigan, while I was standing in the Atlantic ocean (over a mifi). Such a great device.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I was also trying to get the signal to fail when I did see it. It would be impossible for me to go back to my 3GS now. iPhone 4 is so much superior in every way. I took 720p video of the kids yesterday at the beach. I edited it (iMovie), threw in some cool transitions and music. Then I emailed it out to family all before I left the beach. In addition, I did a FaceTime video chat with my college roomate in Michigan, while I was standing in the Atlantic ocean (over a mifi). Such a great device.
    Haha...your love affair with Apple is kinda sweet in a very weird way, Moby.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Haha...your love affair with Apple is kinda sweet in a very weird way, Moby.
    Wow. Mikah, I just gave you some examples of things I can do on the iPhone4 that I cannot do on any other phone. Ofcourse instead of refuting anything I say, you choose to attack. Anybody that knows your history here will recognize your pattern (you are the thread killer). Your posts are amusing to me.
    Wow. Mikah, I just gave you some examples of things I can do on the iPhone4 that I cannot do on any other phone. Ofcourse instead of refuting anything I say, you choose to attack. Anybody that knows your history here will recognize your pattern (you are the thread killer). Your posts are amusing to me.
    Uh, the Evo can video chat and it doesn't need a mifi as far as I know. It also takes 720p video. It also has a nice comfortably large screen to work with as well. The only thing it doesn't do is lose reception when you touch the antenna
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Actually, no-one would refute your personal experience. It's your experience, but reading your response to Mikah did make me review your post. It really was sweat. I could almost hear the chorus from an old Soap Opera song "LOVE---- IS A Many- - Splendored thing." I haven't thought about that song in years. Thanks for that. It makes me think of my mom.

It was one of the first songs written for a movie that became a #1 charts hit, back in 1955. Later it was adopted as the title and song for a soap opera that aired between 1967 and 1973. I can still remember it playing in the background when I came home from school.

But I digress. I'm really glad you like your new phone. I think everyone should be happy with their tech purchases. No one wants you to be unhappy with your choice, we just think you should stop trying to talk us into being unhappy about ours.
    In a day or two, the iPhone will be fixed by a simple software update, proving the whole thing to be a tempest in a teapot. In that same day or two, your Pre will still be a Pre, battery cover, USB flap, oreo, and all. If you think this shows that Apple has poor build quality or that they do not do better design work than Palm, you are delusional.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    In a day or two, the iPhone will be fixed by a simple software update, proving the whole thing to be a tempest in a teapot. In that same day or two, your Pre will still be a Pre, battery cover, USB flap, oreo, and all. If you think this shows that Apple has poor build quality or that they do not do better design work than Palm, you are delusional.
    I didn't notice anyone mentioning who did the best design quality. It's usually just iPhone users that make that type of comment. The rest of us acknowledge that we simply have the device that's right for us. We don't usually state that it's the best phone for everybody. We leave that to the visitors on our forum. No, we simply have the best OS and we're happy to have it. Although some visitors have tried the Pre and didn't like it, others simply visit to convince us to make a different choice.

The fact that we chose to stay with the Pre doesn't make us delusional, it just means that we're happy or satisfied with our purchase. Evidently we had a different experience with our choice than you had with yours.
    I think everybody should just calm down and give apple a few days. If the rumors are true, and a software fix comes out this week, this problem will be completely forgotten in short time.
    Hmm.... Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
    "Just avoid holding it that way"
    It would be impossible for me to go back to my 3GS now. iPhone 4 is so much superior in every way. I took 720p video of the kids yesterday at the beach. I edited it (iMovie), threw in some cool transitions and music. Then I emailed it out to family all before I left the beach. In addition, I did a FaceTime video chat with my college roomate in Michigan, while I was standing in the Atlantic ocean (over a mifi). Such a great device.
    Soo....that Galaxy, EVO, and Droid X couldn't do that either eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Uh, the Evo can video chat and it doesn't need a mifi as far as I know. It also takes 720p video. It also has a nice comfortably large screen to work with as well. The only thing it doesn't do is lose reception when you touch the antenna
    I have an EVO. The video chat quality is awful so far. Also, the 720p video ( and picture quality) is poor compared to the new iPhone. My EVO might not loose any reception when holding it, but it's screen is peeling off. Still waiting on htc to fix that with a software update. If you want an android device, get a nexus 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    The fact that we chose to stay with the Pre doesn't make us delusional...
    Of course you know I didn't say anything of the sort. In my post, the state of delusional was reserved for those who believe that the issues of the Pre and the iPhone 4 are somehow equivalent. There are those who are desperately trying to convince themselves and others that the Pre suffered no fundamental build quality or design issues that the iPhone doesn't. I trust you have read through this thread.

Those same people claim that confidence in iPhone build quality is arrogant and has been a cause of friction for some. Well, the iPhone build and design quality ARE superior to anything in the industry. That does not mean it is the best phone for everyone. This signal attenuation does not bring Apple or their users down any pegs at all. I have an iPhone 4; I can reproduce the issue; IT DOES NOT REDUCE ACTUAL SIGNAL STRENGTH! There is no "real" problem. This does not bring Apple down to anyone's level. Something might. Their not bulletproof. But this ain't it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    I'm sure that an enterprising developer will create an app for the Android Market that will kill the signal when it senses when the phone is in the left hand... so the EVO users won't feel left out or inferior to the "magical" iPhone...
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast