Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    wow you people spend alot of time on the new Iphone. Whats up with that?
    Because it's new, and the Evo is now old news.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Additional readers have shared other related experiences that also corroborate the idea that the issue is related to iOS 4's software control of the baseband, including the fact that the issue seems easily reproducible when connecting to a WWAN 3G network but does not appear when connecting to a Microcell 3G.

If the problem were simply hardware related issues of the antenna design, it should only affect iPhone 4 units with that new design and should occur at all times, regardless of the tower type. That is not being observed.
    Stay tuned...
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    A fix? How in the world are they going to fix that? I got a fix. Buy a Pre. Plastic, but gets reception.
    Well, did you read the article? Apparently it appears to be a software issue.

Buy a Pre? Yeah, the Pre launch went very smooth without any defects.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    wow you people spend alot of time on the new Iphone. Whats up with that?
    they spent even MORE on the Evo...
    You mean they will HIDE it with a software fix... when you PHYSICALLY touch 2 different antennas you become a conductor and jack it up a little.... when was the last time you touched rabbit ears.. sometimes it got better sometime it got worse...

And if you look at the antenna... it wraps UP from the bottom a little bit and there you will see that black line to seperate the antennas from touching each other! They misdesigned the phone plain and simple.... no one had the balls in R&D to say it's not right... Jobs would have them eaten by sea bass with lasers on their heads!
    I'm waiting to see the results of this supposed 'software fix'. My guess is you're right, they're probably going to mess with the signal meter itself.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    This pic is CLASSIC!!

Please someone with Photoshop edit this pic to say "Ur Doing it Wrong" under the logo and I will dance a jig in the streets. lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post

But let them enjoy a little schadenfreude. A lot of people here took some pretty vicious shots from people who seemed to revel in the problems the Pre went through. ( Remember, HTC was supposed to be their savior because of their much better hardware) As long as they stay on an enthusiast site (here) and don't act like jerks and go over to the Apple forums to post nasty comments, no real harm done.
    Exactly, and we SHOULD go over to TiPB and give em hell cause they were CONSTANTLY trolling here bashing day in an day out. "You're build quality sucks...nyaah-nyaah" Well guess what, YOU'RE build quality sucks now too! *Suck it!*

I've always contended that all of the phone companies have had similar problems. it's just that Palm had less capital to cover their failures (see, Nexus One for Google, and almost any Windows phone - most recently the Kin)
    Exactly, Apple has NEVER been perfect, even when they converted all iPod users to an iPod-Phone with 40% of the capabilities of existing phones, that crashed and locked up but was "magical". Jobs just makes them believe "there is no spoon" and all the iSheeple return to normal. Like Diana's "Bliss" on V.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Exactly, and we SHOULD go over to TiPB and give em hell cause they were CONSTANTLY trolling here bashing day in an day out. "You're build quality sucks...nyaah-nyaah" Well guess what, YOU'RE build quality sucks now too! *Suck it!*

Exactly, Apple has NEVER been perfect, even when they converted all iPod users to an iPod-Phone with 40% of the capabilities of existing phones, that crashed and locked up but was "magical". Jobs just makes them believe "there is no spoon" and all the iSheeple return to normal. Like Diana's "Bliss" on V.
    If there's any sheep mentality going on, it's thinking the iphone 4 sucks based on a few bugs that affect some early on.

Maybe some iphone fans deserve it, but many of us who criticized Palm paid the price to do it. I know i paid it going through 16 Pre's or so with 3 lines.

But make no mistake. The iphone 4 is easily the best phone i've ever used. Bugs or no bugs.

The screen is incredible. Colors pop on it. No more fuzzy text.

The camera and video rock on it. Facetime works as advertised.

And the speed has increased significantly. Faster processor, double the RAM. Even 3G..especially uploads. I've seen 3.5 down...1.3 up. The device just flies.

All of that with better battery life. Not worse.

My sprint account is closed. All 3 lines now on AT&T with 3 iphone 4's. No more disgusted looks from the other two as they tell me their latest Pre problems. Now they're like kids at christmas.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Actually, there's a few notable differences here between Pre "bashing" and the "iPhone 4 Bashing" going on now.

1) People expressing frustration at Pre issues were PRE OWNERS.
    The very notion that one of us going "My Pre got the oreo-effect" or "Basic tasks like making a phonecall is difficult because it keeps crashing" can categorize us as "Trolls" is sickening and offensive.

2) People expressing frustration at iPhone issues don't even want an iPhone
    Obviously this issue affects iPhone owners so their opinion is useful in trying to figure out whats going on. But it's interesting how the biggest iPhone "experts" out here are the ones with the least iPhone experience and who constantly declare they would never buy an iPhone. This is the definition of "Trolls" that you were looking for.

3) Pre hardware and software issues were proven to exist on a large scale.
    Despite the problems being so widespread, they still exist a year later which leaves a sizable portion of their user base stuck with a flawed product and another year on their contract.

4) iPhone 4 issues were discovered within 6hrs and judged (both by users and non-users) within 7hrs.
    People who OWN a faulty product have the right to scream in frustration right away. If the problem exists in a week the fence-riding consumers who want an iPhone should reconsider their choices. If a month goes by with no acknowledgement then I could see the mass public acting like jerks. But it's been only 48hrs so why not see what happens?

No company deserves a free pass on faulty products, but every company deserves a reasonable amount of time to troubleshoot and fix it. There's a difference between "Build Quality" and "Design Flaw" and in this case solutions do exist.

5) Lowering the Bar doesn't make the product you use any better.
    All this "[Non-Pre Product] SUCKS!" anger is misguided because even if these misinformed people could prove a competing product "sucks", it doesn't fix any of our Pre problems or make our Pre any better. Lowering the Bar doesn't make the product you use any better. So whats the point of obsessing this much over stuff you dont want?
    I am still waiting on Palm to fix my Oreo Pre, waiting on HTC to fix my peeling Evo screen, waiting on google to fix my nexus screen sensitivity issues.

Now with that being said, apple better fix this quickly.
    I still think I'm going to get a 3GS. The only main issues with that one were the screen coating coming off(screen protector helps) and the usual AT&T gripes.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I am still waiting on Palm to fix my Oreo Pre, waiting on HTC to fix my peeling Evo screen, waiting on google to fix my nexus screen sensitivity issues.

Now with that being said, apple better fix this quickly.
    Do you own a bumper or have you tried the rubberband trick to hide the metal?Obviously these aren't ideal solutions but if they work then at least the phone is rendered as useless as some people (non-iphone owners) claim.

I'm curious how much of a problem this is and how much it depends on ATT coverage because I've seen people lower the bars with the death grip in some locations but not in others where they tend to have a stronger signal. I've also talked to people over the air while doing the death grip and still got the same voice quality... (which isn't a positive since out in SoCal ATT voice quality is ridiculous no matter what phone you use)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Do you own a bumper or have you tried the rubberband trick to hide the metal?Obviously these aren't ideal solutions but if they work then at least the phone is rendered as useless as some people (non-iphone owners) claim.

I'm curious how much of a problem this is and how much it depends on ATT coverage because I've seen people lower the bars with the death grip in some locations but not in others where they tend to have a stronger signal. I've also talked to people over the air while doing the death grip and still got the same voice quality... (which isn't a positive since out in SoCal ATT voice quality is ridiculous no matter what phone you use)
    I planned on getting a bumper anyway, but I still want an Apple solution (or a free bumper).

Haven't tried the tape. I am at the beach today and it's working fine. In fact, I just did a FaceTime call from the beach over a mifi. I drew a crowd.
    I'm sure it's a feature, not a problem.
    By using this extraordinary design Apple made sure you don't really need to multitask.
    As long as you are using the device for something important (or anything else) it magically garantees that no disturbing, incoming phonecall will interrupt your workflow!
    Isn't this wonderful!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Maybe some iphone fans deserve it, but many of us who criticized Palm paid the price to do it. I know i paid it going through 16 Pre's or so with 3 lines.
    Palm got such a bad rap on this. My day one wasn't bad till I lost the speaker due to metal filings from my job. Then the next 5 were rebuilds. All my HTC rebuilds sucked too, My 7th Pre was a brand new one and it is flawless. I have added shipping tape to cover the speaker and this has cured that issue. But that was not Palms issue, it was mine.

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I planned on getting a bumper anyway, but I still want an Apple solution (or a free bumper).

Haven't tried the tape. I am at the beach today and it's working fine. In fact, I just did a FaceTime call from the beach over a mifi. I drew a crowd.
    I am just wondering, has anyone tried clear fingernail polish over the antenna?
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Not planning on putting fingernail polish on my phone.

Now I got to think what I would do if they can't fix it. In my opinion, there is no other phone even close to this one now. I guess I would just use it in a case, but I won't like it.
    Well, if you used clear and did it with any skill at all you wouldn't be able to tell. Sure beats tape!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    The news reported that some people think this is such a big issue they should receive a free case.

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    [jobs magic trick pic]
    lol

This pic is CLASSIC!!

Please someone with Photoshop edit this pic to say "Ur Doing it Wrong" under the logo and I will dance a jig in the streets. lol!!

Edit: Problem solved.

Last edited by Forever92; 06/27/2010 at 12:41 AM.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast