Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I agree that Apple isn't handling it great at all.

But really, that response "hold it different" is the hard truth. There's nothing to be done besides that or get a case...if you're having issues. Of course, there's always the choice of going with another device. Or apple sending out a mysterious software "fix"

I didn't have such a clear cut solution when i was having reception problems with the Pre. Wish it was as simple as how i held the phone or throwing a bumper on.

Or how muffled people sounded on the Pre. Don't hold it pressed against your face.. Your using it wrong..covers up the mic.
    The solution isn't the issue - its the blunt reply that it came in. How about something a little more humble, acknowledging the issue and then give the simple "solution" Its not that hard. Throw in a free case to anyone having the issue and its also some great PRPRPR. $Turn$ $lemons$ $into$ $lemonade$ $as$ $everyone$'$s$ $grandma$ $used$ $to$ $say$
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yes, we know Apple is always perfect for you.

Apple's underwhelming response. Supposedly Steve Jobs real response.

Apple responds over iPhone 4 reception issues: you're holding the phone the wrong way -- Engadget
    But we learned it by watching you...
    Hey Apple, you're holding it wrong -- Engadget
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Its not the hardware issue I find the problem with - just about every phone has at least a batch or two that aren't up to "spec". But Apple's response is pretty ridiculous - "hold it a different way"!! What an arrogant "the customer is the enemy" attitude.

I can't say I'm an Apple fan but I expected better from them, even if the issue does end up being limited to a few first run devices - they usually take good care of their customers.
    I agree it's a bad response, BUT would you rather have them just ignore your emails?

I'm not defending a potential flaw in the design but even if it's not the answer we want, at least Jobs with his crazy short-answer emails then getting a bad answer is better than getting no answer.

Anyway, the solution here is so simple that I hope Apple takes care of it right away:

--DO LIKE NINTENDO DID WITH THE WiiMOTE and SHIP US A FREE CASE--

Everyone complained about the Wii slipping so they let you optionally get a free rubber case for it and problem solved. Apple can do the same with those bumpers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roman View Post
    I never had an issue with my Pre (launch day), and still don't. A friend of mines was going to get the iPhone4 but then decided not to when all the reports come up, and just decided to put iOS4 on his 3gs, which apparently works wonderful for him. Now his new concern is that by having iOS4 installed on his 3gs, Apple will lock up his phone for being "jailbroken".
    He shouldn't have to worry about that. Those devices are supposed to get the iOS4 update too.
    I actually was able to reproduce this issue today. Very strange. It happened when I was visiting a customers office building. If I held it in my left hand, I lost every signal bar. It worked fine in my right hand. Weird. Doesn't happen at all in my house, or my office building.
    Steve Jobs says, "Don't hold it that way..." Whata dork. Supposedly the problem is in the lower left hand corner area. So a left hand would have ontact with that area. Reminds me of a joke....A guy tells his doctor "it hurts when I do this..." Doc says, "well, don't do that."
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I actually was able to reproduce this issue today. Very strange. It happened when I was visiting a customers office building. If I held it in my left hand, I lost every signal bar. It worked fine in my right hand. Weird. Doesn't happen at all in my house, or my office building.
    I did the same, on a call and it had no effect. Maybe the 1/2 bar is enough, or it is just a software issue where it's showing less bars. (as was published a few days ago)

On a related note: I jut picked up a bumper case from Apple. $29, but very nicely built and has nice metal buttons embedded in the case for the volume and on/off buttons.
    latest issue with LONG threads.... Proximity sensors acting up and dialing buttons while against your face...

Also a LOT of people are NOT happy that the answer to a design flaw is... BUY A $30 CASE!! 1,000,000 iPhones this month + $30 case = $30,000,000 bonus for jobs... just for a .50 cent rubber case!!! KUDOS Jobs.
    snip double post
  10.    #50  
    Weird, man. Now I wonder *** the difference is. Stronger original signal? Number of towers nearby? Direction of tower? Ohhhh, the mind boggles....

What??!!!You actually admitted to a problem with an apple product???????????? I'm playing the lotto today.

And it's definitely not a just a software issue as this video clearly demonstrates:

Last edited by darreno1; 06/25/2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    is there any issue with the wifi antennae? That would be such a bonus! then you couldn't surf OR call...

I sure hope Verizon runs an add poking fun at this... "more bars, in more places - unless you are left handed..."
    I had already put a lot of weight to the claims when it was experienced by Engadget. But your post makes it an Official issue.

No really though, when I read enough reports from members I've grown to know at P|C & T|C that the Pre had build issues, I take them at their word.
    So when long time members like yourself post, I give it more credence.
    Thank you.

I had really hoped that Apple would hit a home run cell reception wise with this new design. I already knew I wasn't getting a Gsm Pre. I'd been looking at Android, but I really was torn because of how awesome this iPhone4 was.
    I don't wish any failure on any of these guys. Success by one pushes the competition to up the ante. Let's hope they find a solution.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    is there any issue with the wifi antennae? That would be such a bonus! then you couldn't surf OR call...

I sure hope Verizon runs an add poking fun at this... "more bars, in more places - unless you are left handed..."
    Bonus? You're hoping for failure? Why? So Palm can stagnate and not be pushed to innovate?

All companies have issues, Palm, Google/HTC (Android) and yes, Apple.

Any issue will be resolved in short time, just as Palm worked to eliminate the Oreo with the later Pre's by making a few changes. Apple is still hitting a homerun with this phone, chances are they will sell more iPhone 4's in 1 week, than Palm has sold Pre's from day 1.

At the end of the day, who wins?
    I'm waiting for the Official Steve Jobs-longer-than 1-5 words-front page response, his solution, official dates on a stronger less stressed batch of iPhone builds from happy workers at the Foxconn factory and then maybe I will get one after I test it out in store for about an hour.

I would ***** bricks if there was anything wrong with my $700 dollar phone that can't be insured at a reasonable price through my carrier.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I don't wish any failure on any of these guys. Success by one pushes the competition to up the ante. Let's hope they find a solution.
    But there is a solution. Don't hold it that way means don't hold it that way. And buy a bumper means buy a bumper. They're not the most elegant answers and they SHOULD upset you... BUT "solutions" like this aren't an Apple exclusive. So let's evaluate the hypocrisy going on here by the people (who aren't even iPhone users) that are so deeply offended.

Before anyone starts the standard "You're just an Apple apologist" garbage then please consider this issue:

Problem:
    Using the Pre with it on your shoulder (the poor-mans hands free) distorts voice quality so much that a conversation is impossible.

And when this problem was presented to these boards in multiple threads last year then the answer has always been the exact same thing...

Solution:
    "...then don't hold your Pre that way, stupid"

And to this day the problem still exists. But the reason nobody talks about it is because we've accepted a design flaw and lived with it. I'm not giving Apple a free pass on this and I really hope they pass out free bumpers to anyone who asks (Nintendo Style), but I do think that the obnoxious Pots on the boards should quit calling the Kettle Black. A product can still be worth buying even if it's not perfect. (That includes the iPhone4, Droid, EVO, PRE or any other flawed but awesome product out there)

References:
    P|C Thread: Does anyone else get distortion while holding the phone on your shoulder while talkin
    P|C Thread:Help needed w/ bluetooth static
    P|C Thread: Resting phone on shoulder
    Appleinsider.com says a fix is coming Monday. We shall see.
    A fix? How in the world are they going to fix that? I got a fix. Buy a Pre. Plastic, but gets reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    But there is a solution. Don't hold it that way means don't hold it that way. And buy a bumper means buy a bumper. They're not the most elegant answers and they SHOULD upset you... BUT "solutions" like this aren't an Apple exclusive. So let's evaluate the hypocrisy going on here by the people (who aren't even iPhone users) that are so deeply offended.
    You have a point. It's just a phone in the end and unless you were the engineer who is responsible for the design flaw, there is really no need to take it so personally.

But let them enjoy a little schadenfreude. A lot of people here took some pretty vicious shots from people who seemed to revel in the problems the Pre went through. ( Remember, HTC was supposed to be their savior because of their much better hardware) As long as they stay on an enthusiast site (here) and don't act like jerks and go over to the Apple forums to post nasty comments, no real harm done.

I've always contended that all of the phone companies have had similar problems. it's just that Palm had less capital to cover their failures (see, Nexus One for Google, and almost any Windows phone - most recently the Kin)

And I'd really like to see three or even four competing technologies. If 100 million phones per company is not enough to remain viable, I don't know what is. And there is a lot more potential than that out there.

There is no doubt that if it were not for Apple, Palm would be selling the Treo 4 or 5 now instead of the potential the WebOS line represents. If it were not for Android (and Palm) Apple would not be upping the ante they way they are now.
    wow you people spend alot of time on the new Iphone. Whats up with that?
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast