Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HI all,

While reading this about the Iphone 4, I realize that the Pre beats the Iphone in at least 3 of the following five areas. Thus leaving question 1 as a issue of personal taste & Number 5 depends, which cell company you sign with. Doesn't Sprint offer unlimited data on the Pre?

While the Pre isn't mentioned in this article, in many ways it is about the Pre!

Take care,

Jay

Five Reasons the iPhone 4 May Not be Right for Your Business
    By Tony Bradley, PC World

Five Reasons the iPhone 4 May Not be Right for Your Business - PCWorld Business Center

The dust has settled on the iPhone 4 pre-order stampede, the tents are pitched outside of Apple stores, and the world is bracing for the official launch of the next-generation iPhone tomorrow. With this latest iteration of the popular smartphone Apple makes even more progress catering to business customers and competing with the likes of RIM (Research in Motion), but there are still some aspects of the iPhone that may not be ready for prime time for businesses.

People who read this also read:1. Single Form Factor. The iPhone may fit comfortably in the palm of your hand, but that doesn't mean it fits comfortably in every user's hand. People have different sized hands. Some people may not be able to navigate the iPhone 4 easily one-handed. Some users prefer a physical keyboard. The point is that the iPhone 4 form factor may not be for everyone, but in embracing iPhone as a business platform it is what it is, and you get what you get. There are no options.

2. Inferior Multitasking. Yes, with IOS4 Apple has introduced multitasking...sort of. First of all, it is a limited approach to multitasking that only provides background access to certain features. Second, the ability to multitask is dependent on the app being developed to function within the multitasking parameters defined by Apple. So, whether or not you can take advantage of the Apple version of multitasking hinges on your app vendor, and my experience so far with IOS4 on an iPhone 3GS is lacking--to put it mildly.

3. Adobe Flash. Yes. I said it. Flash, Flash, Flash. It has been a heated issue for months between Apple and Adobe. The availability of Flash Player 10.1 on Android 2.2 will also add fuel to the fire and perpetuate the war of words over Flash compatibility. For some businesses and business professionals it is completely a non-issue. However, some may require Flash functionality, or at least prefer to have it as an option. If that is the case, the iPhone 4 is not the smartphone for you.

4. Removable Battery. The iPhone 4 has tremendous battery life--but it is still limited. Traveling road warriors like to have spare batteries and the ability to swap a dead battery for a fully charged one on the fly for those trips where they might be away from a charging source for an extended period of time. No can do with the iPhone 4.

5. Data Plans. With the iPhone 4 your business is locked into doing business with AT&T--which recently put an end to unlimited data plans. AT&T claims that 65 percent of its customers don't exceed 200Mb of data per month, and 98 percent don't exceed 2Gb, so at face value the new data plans seem to benefit users by providing cheaper data alternatives. However, data consumption habits will continue to grow as more Web-based technologies evolve, and AT&T's data plans, combined with the "bonus" option of paying $20 a month just for the privilege of tethering may quickly add up to skyrocketing wireless data costs.

All that being said, Apple has added a number of features and capabilities that make the iPhone 4 more enterprise and IT administrator friendly. You will have to do the due diligence for your business to determine if the new provisioning and management capabilities outweigh the reasons spelled out here, and decide whether the iPhone 4 works for your business.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    IMO #3 doesn't count, yet. Pre doesn't have Flash yet. When/if it does happen, then this is a point.
    wouldn't it be 5 out of 5 >.>

1. Webos is on pre and pixi
    2. Webos rules multitasking :3
    3. Flash is soooo coming to the pre
    4. Both the pre and the pixi have removabe batteries
    5. Webos is on three of the four major carriers. (four if hacked to run on t-mobile using rebel sim)
    I will never use an iphone I have fixed a couple replaced screens and what not (i have a computer repair company) But i hate the OS the limits that are on it...
    Atleast iPhone's WiFi and GPS actually works.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post
    wouldn't it be 5 out of 5 >.>

1. Webos is on pre and pixi
    2. Webos rules multitasking :3
    3. Flash is soooo coming to the pre
    4. Both the pre and the pixi have removabe batteries
    5. Webos is on three of the four major carriers. (four if hacked to run on t-mobile using rebel sim)
    I feel that also 5 of 5 for the pre. But #1 is opinion and #2 is going to get better for the uphone as time goes on(still won't be as good as webOS)#3 is still a big "?" and #5 is debatable, just cuz.

oh and #6 this thread will be moving shortly...

edit; I'm too slow and it's moved already.
    I call BS on #2 and #4.

#2 Current apps don't take MT into account but neither did the original iPhone. But already today I've received 11 app updates for iOS4, so I don't think its going to take terribly long for any developer to release it. Obviously, they've had the developer tools before today and are rolling out the updates. Not an issue.

#4 Why is a removable battery so much different than an add-on battery pack (like the current iPhones have as an option)? One is removable and replaceable; one adds on.
    Both extend the life of the battery, and together, weigh the same.

And anyone that things that heavy data users won't be migrated into new data plans is high. Seriously. The free ride on data, except for those willing to jailbreak, is over.
    I'm not really sure these are the top considerations for businesses. I would think that businesses would care more about enterprise features such as Exchange integration, email/calendar abilities, information security (ie can it be wiped remotely if lost), call quality, network availability, and so forth. I would actually think that facetime would be attractive for businesses, depending on the security situation.

I'm no iPhone zealot, but I know a lot of businesses are liking what the iPhone has to offer. A company I worked for previously had a small IT department, and the CFO made all the bigger ticket decisions. The CFO knew nothing about smartphones. But because the iPhone is so simple to use, he instantly understood how it could make employees in the company more productive. So, before the Pre came out, the company started issuing iPhones to new employees. Sometimes it's about convincing someone who knows nothing about technology, and Apple is pretty good at that.

I think the Pre could be very good at that too, so I'm looking forward to seeing what HP can do with Palm.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    ) I would actually think that facetime would be attractive for businesses, depending on the security situation.
    Not likely, facetime only works on wifi and since most know wifi is a security risk, this won't be an option till it works over 3G. Also on the go there's not that much wifi available, so again it's basically useless.
    So get this ..

Apple store, Walmart, Best Buy and Radio Shack are the only places you can potentially find an iPhone 4 tomorrow. So I called the local Walmart here [here being Ashland, KY] to ask if they were getting any iPhone 4's in ..

As of 11:20 PM Walmart, of all places (especially here in lil 'ole Ashland, KY) had 17 people in line, and they had only four iPhone 4's in.

Do all the comparisons you want, no other phone or device sells like the iPhone.

Edit: Make that every single Walmart (7 total) within a 50 mile radius with lines waiting for the new iPhone.
    Last edited by barkerja; 06/23/2010 at 11:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    So get this ..

Apple store, Walmart, Best Buy and Radio Shack are the only places you can potentially find an iPhone 4 tomorrow. So I called the local Walmart here [here being Ashland, KY] to ask if they were getting any iPhone 4's in ..

As of 11:20 PM Walmart, of all places (especially here in lil 'ole Ashland, KY) had 17 people in line, and they had only four iPhone 4's in.

Do all the comparisons you want, no other phone or device sells like the iPhone.
    And this just proves what? That the mass majority of people in the world are fools and nothing more. Good for them, I hope they make crash helmets standard for uphone users.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    And this just proves what? That the mass majority of people in the world are fools and nothing more. Good for them, I hope they make crash helmets standard for uphone users.
    Quality speaks for itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

Why is a removable battery so much different than an add-on battery pack (like the current iPhones have as an option)? One is removable and replaceable; one adds on.
    Both extend the life of the battery, and together, weigh the same.

And anyone that things that heavy data users won't be migrated into new data plans is high. Seriously. The free ride on data, except for those willing to jailbreak, is over.
    Are you kidding? A spare battery pack you can carry in your briefcase or pocket. You don't have to hold it in your hand. What good is a lovely looking glass on both sides-worlds thinnest smartphone if you make it three times as thick with one of those fugly add on battery packs? Plus some people have more than one spare battery. Plus having a spare battery and charger still lets you charge one and use the other without having to have your phone plugged in all the time. Plus when the battery capacity diminishes on a phone with a replaceable battery, you simply replace it. Apple just wants you to keep buying new iPhones

And I am not high. And I don't plan on giving up my unlimited. And neither is any other AT&T Unlimited subscriber. The free ride is far from over.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Are you kidding? A spare battery pack you can carry in your briefcase or pocket. You don't have to hold it in your hand. What good is a lovely looking glass on both sides-worlds thinnest smartphone if you make it three times as thick with one of those fugly add on battery packs? Plus some people have more than one spare battery. Plus having a spare battery and charger still lets you charge one and use the other without having to have your phone plugged in all the time. Plus when the battery capacity diminishes on a phone with a replaceable battery, you simply replace it. Apple just wants you to keep buying new iPhones

And I am not high. And I don't plan on giving up my unlimited. And neither is any other AT&T Unlimited subscriber. The free ride is far from over.
    1. You can charge both a battery pack + your iPhone at the same time.
    2. It's really personal preference, many don't mind a battery pack and find it to be a less of an annoyance to just quickly attach it vs. shutting down your phone, swapping the battery, etc.
    3. When/If your phones battery dies, Apple replaces the phone for you outright without hassle or question. With my old iPhone this happened twice; they even restored my new phone on the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    1. You can charge both a battery pack + your iPhone at the same time.
    2. It's really personal preference, many don't mind a battery pack and find it to be a less of an annoyance to just quickly attach it vs. shutting down your phone, swapping the battery, etc.
    3. When/If your phones battery dies, Apple replaces the phone for you outright without hassle or question. With my old iPhone this happened twice; they even restored my new phone on the spot.
    I realize you can charge both at the same time. My brother does it all the time with his 3GS and his phone looks all dorky being on the wire all the time with that brick of an iPhone with it's backup battery. But hey yeah that's personal preference. When I used to charge my phone all the time I forgot it everywhere because I always left it charging.

You can hot swap a battery in a Pre without shutting it down if you just plug it in for a second.

And you have to do a restore on your iPhone when you replace the battery?? What LOL?? They better have restored your phone on the spot. No wonder they don't let you touch your own battery. That is in complete character with everything Apple. "hey stop that! Get out of there!"
    I realize you can charge both at the same time. My brother does it all the time with his 3GS and his phone looks all dorky being on the wire all the time with that brick of an iPhone with it's backup battery. But hey yeah that's personal preference. When I used to charge my phone all the time I forgot it everywhere because I always left it charging.

You can hot swap a battery in a Pre without shutting it down if you just plug it in for a second.

And you have to do a restore on your iPhone when you replace the battery?? What LOL?? They better have restored your phone on the spot. No wonder they don't let you touch your own battery. That is in complete character with everything Apple. "hey stop that! Get out of there!"
    Re-read what I said. I received a brand new phone. And in complete character with everything Apple! What does that mean? You can't change your battery? Big deal, they have great resources available to you that circumvents any issue(s).

It's all part of owning quality hardware. If you don't like it, then don't own one. No skin off my or anyone else's back. But don't become unclassy about it and go on a rant about how it's a terrible choice ... because guess what, the market begs to differ.
    Ok I see they give you a brand new phone. Cool. You've had good luck with Apple. My friend had an iPod touch that crapped out without a scratch on it and they told him he was SOL. Hey you're an Apple fan and I am not. You're obviously happy with your device and each of us found what works best for us.

Have fun with your backpack and charging cords. Just kidding.

Seriously, Apple makes a very well polished and smooth device. Palm should have at least made a slightly quicker and smoother phone with the same processor (as the 3GS) We all hope that 1.4.5 goes toward making that so.
    Ok I see they give you a brand new phone. Cool. You've had good luck with Apple. My friend had an iPod touch that crapped out without a scratch on it and they told him he was SOL. Hey you're an Apple fan and I am not. You're obviously happy with your device and each of us found what works best for us.

Have fun with your backpack and charging cords. Just kidding.

Seriously, Apple makes a very well polished and smooth device. Palm should have at least made a slightly quicker and smoother phone with the same processor (as the 3GS) We all hope that 1.4.5 goes toward making that so.
    I'm not here to bash Palm, WebOS, etc. I left the iPhone for the Pre .. but the Pre has disappointed me over the past year. I have high hopes for WebOS as I think it has massive potential, but the traction and grown that the iPhone (and now Android) has is difficult to ignore. Especially when applications that extend the usability of your phone are exclusive to those two devices.
    1. don't care
    2. perfectly good enough for the average user and that's most people.
    3. don't care much anymore.
    4. don't care
    5. Cost is an issue so to that extent this is the only point that remotely resonates.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast