Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Hopefully we can have a civil discussion...

iOS4 allows saved state and background execution for GPS apps, voice apps and others like twitter what not.

Regardless of the user interface which can be debated either way, what is the case to be made on how the Pre's method is superior?

I guess simply put: What type of app needs multitasking that the Pre can and the iPhone cannot? Are we crunching spreadsheets in the background or something?

Practical uses?
    yeah lets have a civil discussion about something we have talked about a bunch of times already.
    For the vast, vast, vast majority of people and use cases, Apple's multitasking will be just as handy as that of the Pre.

I am not one of those people, and neither are a lot of people in this forum.
    Well for one you have to consider the development cost of Apple's 'multitasking'.

Every app must now be written to take advantage of the multitasking, otherwise it's just like opening the app again.

While the Palm Pre was originally designed with multitasking in mind, there is nearly nothing which needs to be included by the developers to make use of multitasking (the exception being memory or state management when in card view, but even that's optional). Everything is simply controlled by the OS.

The over-all development cost for Apple's change could be huge, and many companies/apps won't take advantage of it for this reason, reducing the benefit of the 'multitasking' immensely.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well for one you have to consider the development cost of Apple's 'multitasking'.

Every app must now be written to take advantage of the multitasking, otherwise it's just like opening the app again.

While the Palm Pre was originally designed with multitasking in mind, there is nearly nothing which needs to be included by the developers to make use of multitasking (the exception being memory or state management when in card view, but even that's optional). Everything is simply controlled by the OS.

The over-all development cost for Apple's change could be huge, and many companies/apps won't take advantage of it for this reason, reducing the benefit of the 'multitasking' immensely.
    slight correction. Apps do not have to be re-written to take advantage of the saving the state, they just need to be recompiled.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    For the vast, vast, vast majority of people and use cases, Apple's multitasking will be just as handy as that of the Pre.

The OP asked for specific examples of a use cases. Give one or more examples of multitasking situations that the Pre does for you and that iOS 4 doesn't.

Hey, we actually agree. Curious, what do you you need multitasking to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    The OP asked for specific examples of a use cases. Give one or more examples of multitasking situations that the Pre does for you and that iOS 4 doesn't.
    I can think of a few. Pulling down RSS feeds in the background and pulling in twitter updates in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Hey, we actually agree. Curious, what do you you need multitasking to do?
    For me, notifications are a big part of multitasking. I want the phone to tell me what's going on and when I need to be pinged....unobtrusively. Until iPhone does that, this is a non-starter for me.

That's really the use case that matters most.
    For me, notifications are a big part of multitasking. I want the phone to tell me what's going on and when I need to be pinged....unobtrusively. Until iPhone does that, this is a non-starter for me.

That's really the use case that matters most.
    Yep, not to crazy about the iPhone notifications. However, Its not that important to me where the notification system is my deciding factor on which device to purchase.

I guess maybe its because my previous devices were mostly Blackberry's (you can get the iPhone system to match)
    What I do on my Pre a lot is open a bunch of apps, one after the other, and let them load up all at once. I'm not sure the iPhone can do that if it saves the state of the app when you background it.
    Yep, not to crazy about the iPhone notifications. However, Its not that important to me where the notification system is my deciding factor on which device to purchase.

I guess maybe its because my previous devices were mostly Blackberry's (you can get the iPhone system to match)
    Was never a big deal to me until my family got QWERTY phones and began pinging me with texts.

Apple really never thought about this is the beginning, and for good reason. Consequently, this has become their most persistent problem.
    Every time you need to use an app that tooks time to load, it will take time to load.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Off the top of my head, can ios4 multitasking do apps like geostrings, sports live or bumper to bumper (even without considering the notification limitation on ios4)?
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Every time you need to use an app that tooks time to load, it will take time to load.
    Apps can now be frozen in its current state when you exit the app. NExt time you go back in, you will be in the exact same place.
    Was never a big deal to me until my family got QWERTY phones and began pinging me with texts.

Apple really never thought about this is the beginning, and for good reason. Consequently, this has become their most persistent problem.
    I turn off the popups on some things. The sound/vibrate alert, plus the badge on the icon is sufficient for me.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    I can think of a few. Pulling down RSS feeds in the background and pulling in twitter updates in the background.
    Twitter:

Tweetaholic: This Twitter app supports fast app switching, and can also refresh your timeline in the background.
    Didn't look hard for any RSS type apps, I'm betting it will happen by the end of the week.
    Apps can now be frozen in its current state when you exit the app. NExt time you go back in, you will be in the exact same place.
    Saved state doesn't mean saved the app in memory, as far as I know. If you save the app in memory, you get performance degradation, due to the memory consumption. If you save only it's state, it takes time to load the app again.
    I turn off the popups on some things. The sound/vibrate alert, plus the badge on the icon is sufficient for me.
    The more I can see without going into another app, the better.

That's why I like Android's widgets too.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post

Let's not forget that Palm had two years to look back at what Apple was doing.

On the "over all development cost for Apple's Change" I think you are sorely mistaken. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to wager that within 60 days, there will be more iOS4 apps than the entire Palm WebOS app catalog.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast