Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    No there's more involved than just re-compiling. Here's the Apple Dev multitasking overview page: https://developer.apple.com/iphone/l...Execution.html
    To allow the state of the app to be saved, a simple recompile WILL work. Again, I have seen it done. To work with an API to do background processing is a different story.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    idle apps don't drain battery in my test with battery monitor on webos. Try it yourself with no apps than with the browser open while running battery monitor. All pdk apps idle in card mode so you can try it with the free efektz app too. Note, the batery monitor app does not idle in card mode.

if you have say, twitter refreshing it's timeline periodically though, that will drain drain battery on ios or webos.

when ios has an app like geostrings, I'd be interested to know. Other apps I don't know if ios multitasking can do are sleeptimer, powernap, dealert.
    Last edited by spare; 06/23/2010 at 10:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    To allow the state of the app to be saved, a simple recompile WILL work. Again, I have seen it done. To work with an API to do background processing is a different story.
    While you're technically correct, if you want to do it properly (which I assume most responsible developers would do), it's not as simple as a re-compile. Here's one relevant quote from the page I linked that indicates this:

Supporting the background state transition is part of the fundamental architecture for applications in iPhone OS 4 and later. Although technically the only thing you have to do to support this capability is link against iPhone OS 4 and later, properly supporting it requires some additional work. Specifically, your application delegate should implement the following methods and implement appropriate behaviors in each of them:
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    don't know if ios multitasking can do are sleeptimer, powernap, dealert.
    As the developer of both Dealert and PowerNap, I can tell you neither would work right on iPhone 4.

Dealert polls on an interval every X amount of hours, and is completely closed when not updating.

PowerNap's main feature is use of the dashboard stage, which iPhone 4 obviously does not have. Technically, you could implement PowerNap's basic features in iPhone 4, but all of what makes PowerNap awesome is the features built into webOS (Dashboard stages, popupwindows, inter-app communication, etc).
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    from my perspective i think the competition multitasks good enough. And that's really my only criteria.
    ummmm i just thought, did Apple commit copyright infrigment again????? i mean TealOS people! explain the memory handling differences? anybody? anybody? Buehler? lol
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    I believe his point is that the iPhone 4 has been getting some stellar reports on battery life (Engadget got 38 hours with normal use) Everyone will acknowledge that the Pre battery life is horrendous.

All of this is better in another thread.. Back on topic:

"What are real world application needs that a Palm Pre handles better than iOS4 as it relates to multitasking?"

GeoStrings is a nice app, and today, it has a valid argument though shortly I'm sure many of the iPhone Geolocation apps of it's sort will be updated.

What can you add?
    I can tell you about something that iOS users have been proud: speed. app switching between open apps is done instantly, while is not if the app needs to load again.

Also, every cloud based app will work on background (i.e. loading data), talking about heavy apps, you don't need to reload a doc, excel, or any other kind of file everytime you switch to the app...

Yeah, everyone could live without that (I lived without that) but, hey, people has lived too without smartphones...
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Because if you decide that you cant use a feature because it kills you battery, what good is the feature?

I'm sorry, but I hate that excuse for bad battery life. Not everybody is going to have access to a charger throughout the day. How much battery life is acceptable to you?....1 hour, 5 hours?
    Yeah, I'm tired of some reasonings of iPhone users too, but hey, it's their opinion...

Apps consume battery if they're processing something. If not, they don't cinsume, as others have told you previously.

About Pre's battery, it's Pre's battery, not webOS battery.

iPhone 3gs's battery size and consumption was almost equal than Pre's, and nobody talked about iPhones horrible battery...
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I can tell you about something that iOS users have been proud: speed. app switching between open apps is done instantly, while is not if the app needs to load again.

Also, every cloud based app will work on background (i.e. loading data), talking about heavy apps, you don't need to reload a doc, excel, or any other kind of file everytime you switch to the app...

Yeah, everyone could live without that (I lived without that) but, hey, people has lived too without smartphones...
    You apparently have gathered very little info on iOS4. no disrespect intended, but take off the blinders and read a little. 99% of everything you posted is inaccurate..
    Sorry, but tell me where I'm wrong. The only thing were I "could" be wrong is in some cloud tasks, but just some of them.

When Apple says it saves its state is saving its state, as far as I know. This means that if you're working with an excel file, and switch the app, when returning the app will have to load the file again. I don't know exactly how this works, but this always will take time or resources.
    I may be blinded, but everytime I posted about iOS I have received a "you're inaccurate response", nobody has told me the points where I'm inaccurate.
    The fact is that there are 3 ways to save state; two of them affects device performance and the third one affects response time of the app when switching apps. There is no magical method.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123