Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The more I can see without going into another app, the better.

That's why I like Android's widgets too.
    I have two Android devices. I hate the widgets. I find them completely unnecessary. They get old after a few weeks and I then had no desire to ever use them again. I do like the Android notification system the best though (even better then the Pre)
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Off the top of my head, can ios4 multitasking do apps like geostrings, sports live or bumper to bumper (even without considering the notification limitation on ios4)?
    I think GeoStrings is possible under iOS4. It has a mechanism for an app to run in the background and receive location updates. It also allows an app to notify the user of an event.

Of course until I port GeoStrings to iOS4, webOS is the only place you can get it.

The places I think webOS still excels over iOS4 in terms of multitasking are:

- Every webOS app, by default, can be left in its current state (i.e. card mode) and quickly be switched back without losing your progress/state. iOS4 apps need to be specifically coded to support this. If your favorite app doesn't get updated, then you're out of luck.

- In iOS4, apps that do take advantage of the "save/restore state" multitasking feature will not continue to actively run in the background unless they use one of the few supported background services (music, location, voip, etc.). In webOS, any task can continue running in the background while the app is in card mode (or even as a dashboard notification).

- The app management in webOS is far superior to iOS4 (or any other mobile OS). The card system is just super elegant and second to none.

- The webOS notification system blows iOS4's notifications away
    Last edited by DanPLC; 06/23/2010 at 02:47 PM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Every webOS app, by default, can be left in its current state (i.e. card mode) and quickly be switched back without losing your progress/state. iOS4 apps need to be specifically coded to support this. If your favorite app doesn't get updated, then you're out of luck.
    I have a serious problem with any developer that isn't regularly putting out updates anyway. Therefore the biggest concern is for developers that are lazy or have abandoned their application. I wouldn't want apps by these developers on my device.

To get save state into an app, all it needs is a recompile.
    In webOS, any task can continue running in the background while the app is in card mode (or even as a dashboard notification).
    Killing the battery along the way
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Location based reminders for iPhone:

ReQuall
    Proxido
    LocationNotes

I'm sure there are plenty more....
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Location based reminders for iPhone:

ReQuall
    Proxido
    LocationNotes

I'm sure there are plenty more....
    Up until iOS4 location-based reminders were not true background reminders. As far as I know, you had to have the app running at the time to get the reminder (correct me if I'm wrong). So essentially it's pointless because if you need to run the app, there's no need to be reminded to do something.

Background location-based reminders allow you to remember things as you drive by a location without you having to remember to load the app.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Killing the battery along the way
    I was only pointing out the advantages of the webOS style of multitasking (i.e. true, unrestricted multitasking). But yes you're correct battery life could very well be impacted.

But me personally, I don't usually leave cards open. Once I finish a task, I just close the card. But for the times when I do perform multiple tasks, or I'm sharing data between multiple apps, this type of multitasking is incredibly useful.

I have a serious problem with any developer that isn't regularly putting out updates anyway. Therefore the biggest concern is for developers that are lazy or have abandoned their application. I wouldn't want apps by these developers on my device.

My point is that with webOS you have this ability with all apps out of the box. With iOS4, you're relying on developers to update the app. Also if you have an older device (like the 3G), then you won't have multitasking at all. At least with webOS you have the option if you choose to take advantage of it.

Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Up until iOS4 location-based reminders were not true background reminders. As far as I know, you had to have the app running at the time to get the reminder (correct me if I'm wrong). So essentially it's pointless because if you need to run the app, there's no need to be reminded to do something.

Background location-based reminders allow you to remember things as you drive by a location without you having to remember to load the app.
    Understood... Let's give a developer a week or so to make a little update.
    I was only pointing out the advantages of the webOS style of multitasking (i.e. true, unrestricted multitasking). But yes you're correct battery life could very well be impacted.
    But doesn't the battery issue kind of negate the "advantages" of WebOs multitasking?
    My point is that with webOS you have this ability with all apps out of the box. With iOS4, you're relying on developers to update the app. Also if you have an older device (like the 3G), then you won't have multitasking at all. At least with webOS you have the option if you choose to take advantage of it.
    Yeah, I guess I don't see it as that big a deal. Every app I use is regularly updated.
    But doesn't the battery issue kind of negate the "advantages" of WebOs multitasking?
    No because I don't leave a bunch of cards open all the time. I open multiple cards when I need to accomplish certain tasks. The only card I leave open for extended periods of time is my Music Player (Remix) app.

And these days my battery never runs out because I have a touchstone at work. When it starts getting low, I just pop it on there and keep using it.

Yeah, I guess I don't see it as that big a deal. Every app I use is regularly updated.
    No it probably isn't. I'm sure most developers will update their apps considering the huge benefit gained with little effort.

How could a hardware issue negate a software feature? If my phone gets low battery, I put it to charge, that's all. Do you mean that iPhone 4 has some kind of cold fusion battery?
    ...and make the changes to request the service to work, and tell the service what to save.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    ...and make the changes to request the service to work, and tell the service what to save.
    Judging by the way iOS4 app updates are popping up every few hours for me, I'm guessing developers are more than happy to do that.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    How could a hardware issue negate a software feature? If my phone gets low battery, I put it to charge, that's all. Do you mean that iPhone 4 has some kind of cold fusion battery?
    I believe his point is that the iPhone 4 has been getting some stellar reports on battery life (Engadget got 38 hours with normal use) Everyone will acknowledge that the Pre battery life is horrendous.

All of this is better in another thread.. Back on topic:

"What are real world application needs that a Palm Pre handles better than iOS4 as it relates to multitasking?"

GeoStrings is a nice app, and today, it has a valid argument though shortly I'm sure many of the iPhone Geolocation apps of it's sort will be updated.

What can you add?
    sorry but your wrong. A simple recompile with the SDK 4 will do it. I know, because I actually witnessed it being done a few days ago.
    Because if you decide that you cant use a feature because it kills you battery, what good is the feature?

I'm sorry, but I hate that excuse for bad battery life. Not everybody is going to have access to a charger throughout the day. How much battery life is acceptable to you?....1 hour, 5 hours?
    sorry but your wrong. A simple recompile with the SDK 4 will do it. I know, because I actually witnessed it being done a few days ago.
    No there's more involved than just re-compiling. Here's the Apple Dev multitasking overview page: https://developer.apple.com/iphone/l...Execution.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast