Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    To me, the feature I want most is the camera. Im heavily invested in DSLR photo gear, but some of my best shots come from my crappy iPhone 3G because of all the amazing apps that are available for photo tweaking. But I can only imagine how good they'd look with an iPhone 4 camera. Tap to autofocus, flash (finally), speed and power to process effects. I'm so glad they didnt play the megapixels game and instead went for a better camera.

BTW. Video is amazing too. HD and iMovie on a phone aren't for everyone but it's something I'd use pretty often.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    "we had far, far fewer dropped calls"?

far fewer?

I don't have dropped calls with my Treo Pro.
    I didn't have them with my q9h.

I wonder why the iPhone keeps having this issue.
    For the same reason my moms Nokia, my sister-in-laws Blackberry and our entire office drop calls. The network kinda sucks in some urban areas. Dropping calls may be an iPhone "features" but it isnt an iPhone exclusive.
    It's tempting but AT&T makes it a non-starter for me.
    So here's my question ...

Right now, it's apparent that Apple dominates the market, even with being on a single carrier. They are however quickly losing market share to Android, and the reason being due to the carrier exclusivity.

Apple know's that in order to maintain hold of the market share they need to be on more carriers (which we all know is coming at some point, some even speculate as soon as the fall of this year). What happens to other devices (like Palm and Android) when this happens?

I ask this question because it would appear as if it's a vicious cycle. People want the applications, but developers only want to develop for a platform where there's a market (iPhone and now Android). How is a company like Palm/HP to lure developers in without a larger market share? See where I'm going with this ... one has to happen in order for the other to happen, and at this point in the game it's almost impossible.

Your average user/consumer buys the iPhone for it's simplicity and/or applications. You have others buying Android because it's the best alternative to the iPhone and it gives you the closest thing to an iPhone while being on another carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    Na I'd rather them try and beat the evo. Seems like the evo is the better phone if you ask me. Only thing the iphone has is that fancy named screen.
    I have the EVO and I hate it. Like my nexus far better. I also got to spend an hour with the galaxy last week. It felt like it was made with cheap plastic and didn't like the UI replacement.
    If the Iphone was on all cariers it would be #1 by a mile over everything else and Android probally wouldnt be as popular as it is. Android the the main alternative to Iphone with Windows Mobile and WEB OS pretty much out of the picture. I would have an Iphone if it was on Sprint and just about everyone I know who doesnt have one wants one. WEBOS and Windows Mobile really benefit that the Iphone not being on all carriers. theres room for small niche OS like them while the Iphone is just AT&T but if Microsoft and HP cant get good devices out by the time the Iphone gets to other carriers ( lates is Tmobile in mid 2011 and then Verizon later 2011) they will fall by the wayside completly. Microsoft knows this and they got WM7 coing soon and its pretty nice. Alot better then that clunky windows 6. And Android will have a new version helped designed by the designer of WEBOS later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

Right now, it's apparent that Apple dominates the market, even with being on a single carrier. They are however quickly losing market share to Android, and the reason being due to the carrier exclusivity.

Apple know's that in order to maintain hold of the market share they need to be on more carriers (which we all know is coming at some point, some even speculate as soon as the fall of this year). What happens to other devices (like Palm and Android) when this happens?

I ask this question because it would appear as if it's a vicious cycle. People want the applications, but developers only want to develop for a platform where there's a market (iPhone and now Android). How is a company like Palm/HP to lure developers in without a larger market share? See where I'm going with this ... one has to happen in order for the other to happen, and at this point in the game it's almost impossible.

Your average user/consumer buys the iPhone for it's simplicity and/or applications. You have others buying Android because it's the best alternative to the iPhone and it gives you the closest thing to an iPhone while being on another carrier.
    Not to mention that the small quirks left in iOS (notifications for example) Apple has recently hired some exponential people that will no doubt help in this area; they just recently hired the guy that was responsible for the notifications design in WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

Between Apple and Google developers will have the lion's share of the market covered (for now) but there will be room for one or more other players at the table. If you look at the gaming market where developers have 3 platforms on which to develop, it hasn't stopped them from cross-platform offerings. An app is not nearly as labor-intensive or costly to develop as today's multi-million dollar video-games so it would follow that the cost-to-benefit ratio would make sense even with the smartphones that have a smaller footprint.

Look at it this way, webOS represents about 1% of the market and there are over 2,500 apps. If the market seems willing and able to produce that quantity of apps at that level of marketshare, then it bodes well for whichever company wants to stake an even greater market presence.
    a monsterous 1420mAh Li-Polymer battery

Quote Originally Posted by mindonmillions08 View Post
    I couldn't force myself to read that review but I doubt the battery last 38hrs with normal usage espically with that video chat
    A new FaceTime video which is very impressive at how it's portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    To me, the feature I want most is the camera. Im heavily invested in DSLR photo gear, but some of my best shots come from my crappy iPhone 3G because of all the amazing apps that are available for photo tweaking.
    oh c'mon now. that's gotta be one of the stupidest things i've ever heard. the camera on this, or any phone, is a piece of junk compared to the lowest end dslrs available. and the apps on the iphone are trivial compared to desktop apps.

that's not to say that great photos can't be made on crappy equipment- some truly GREAT photos have been done on little more than pinhole cameras. but to bring up this camera in relation to dslrs is ********.
    A monsterous 1420mAh Li-Polymer battery

I kinda find it hard for a smartphone to go 38hrs with 1420mAh maybe because its Li-polymer. Judging by way the battery looks, I would've thought it had more juice then the Evo's 1500mAh.
    One of my features phones had Li-polymer, I wonder why more manufactures aren't using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mindonmillions08 View Post
    I couldn't force myself to read that review but I doubt the battery last 38hrs with normal usage espically with that video chat
    This sounds a lot like, plug ears, plant head in sand. The most fanatical religious devotee is that of a disconfirmed religion. That is because, for that person, the facts no longer matter.
    just imagine if apple didnt jump into the mobile phone market...

blackberry... would still be selling, wel... 'blackberry' phones with the same weak UI and stuck to blacberry email servers and no exchange support, terrible browsing experience. 3 years later and their phones are basically the same and behind.

windows mobile... would be an afterthought in steve ballmers mind and still be on winmo 5.xx, terrible browsing experience.

adobe... we'd still be waiting on flash and hearing from them 'end of summer.'

we'd definitely be behind a couple of years in phone technology if not for a company to push the already established companies (yes, if not apple there would have been a company... someday... palm pre?) and for most consumers we would be denied many of the features that are now common on these phones.

These type of phones would be only available from companies like Nokia in their n-98 series selling for $1000 unsubsidized and paying $50 data plans.

Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    def looks to be one fantastic phone.

it bodes well for consumers. If apple wasn't putting out top notch stuff, we would have one less device to drive the competition further.
    As with most Apple products, it's a very nice piece of hardware... however it still has two FATAL flaws that both begin with "A", in my opinion...

1.) Apple
    2.) AT&T

One of these is potentially correctable at some point in the future.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    It's not on Sprint, it ain't happening. If Sprint ever carries the iPhone perhaps I'll take a look at it. Until then, it may as well not even exist.

Even if it was on Sprint, I'd still have to think long and hard about owning a phone that is connected in any way to Steve Jobs and his draconian outlook on how I use MY property.
    2 things going against it for me. Its on AT&T. Always had great service with Sprint, not going to change that. 2 Widgets, android has spoiled me in the short time I've been on the Evo. I don't want to delve into apps that I just need a quick glance at. Oh and I guess still the notifications, that bugs me when I used the iPod touch.
    Remember 1984? Apple once had the lead in consumer PCs. But keeping a walled garden approach, and then a too little to late licensing program, is what almost did them in and has kept them down to a market share below 5% in the PC market. Android's strength is not just the choice of network, but also the choice of hardware to run it on.

For the life of me i dont understand how can u call the new iphone "high end design"
    from the engadget review...
    We can't overstate how high-end the design of the iPhone 4 is. The 3GS now feels cheap and chubby by comparison, and even a phone like the HTC Droid Incredible -- which just came out -- seems last-generation.
    To me it looks ugly compare it to a brick. The 3gs design looked much better ***sigh*** Oh well i don't want it and could care less...
    Again, if you didnt have the iphone and controlling nature of steve jobs you would have other companies controlling you or limiting you one way or another.

steve ballmer... he'd give you what he thinks the masses should have. i love my dell axim but they never listened nor cared as evident of staying at 5.x forever and getting updates maybe once a year if lucky.

companies like blackberry or nokia do not have the ceo's that make themselves the focus of their company but again, they wouldnt give you the technology we have and if so would limit it to the high end and make you pay big time to get it now or years for the common people to get it.

i'll tell ya... steve jobs came out with the phone he wanted with the 2g and did it his way and later he HATED the idea of apps and was pushing webapps and lack of cut/paste and yada yada yada. but... took a lot of criticsm from the masses but over the course of 3 years he has given the consumer most everything they asked for and more. but still under his terms and his standards. hate him for not giving wallpaper on the 3g because the performance is not up to his standard... i can live with it. I just dont think you would have gotten that with the likes of steve ballmer.

if some cant then its understandable and wonderful there are some great choices... i always keep android on the back of my mind because some of those phones are awesome too.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    It's not on Sprint, it ain't happening. If Sprint ever carries the iPhone perhaps I'll take a look at it. Until then, it may as well not even exist.

Even if it was on Sprint, I'd still have to think long and hard about owning a phone that is connected in any way to Steve Jobs and his draconian outlook on how I use MY property.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast