Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Truly a failure

Say what you will, diss it all you like, but the market acceptance of the iPad is unprecedented

Apple Sells Three Million iPads in 80 Days -- CUPERTINO, Calif., June 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

CUPERTINO, Calif., June 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® today announced that it sold its three millionth iPad™ yesterday, just 80 days after its introduction in the US. iPad is a revolutionary and magical product that allows users to connect with their apps, content and the Internet in a more intimate, intuitive and fun way than ever before.

"People are loving iPad as it becomes a part of their daily lives," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We're working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more people around the world, including those in nine more countries next month."

Developers have created over 11,000 exciting new apps for iPad that take advantage of its Multi-Touch™ user interface, large screen and high-quality graphics. iPad will run almost all of the more than 225,000 apps on the App Store, including apps already purchased for your iPhone® or iPod touch®.

Users can browse the web, read and send email, enjoy and share photos, watch HD videos, listen to music, play games, read ebooks and much more, all using iPad's revolutionary Multi-Touch user interface. iPad is 0.5 inches thin and weighs just 1.5 pounds—thinner and lighter than any laptop or netbook—and delivers up to 10 hours of battery life.*

*Battery life depends on device settings, usage and other factors. Actual results vary.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution with the Apple II, then reinvented the personal computer with the Macintosh. Apple continues to lead the industry with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system, and iLife, iWork and professional applications. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store, has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced its magical iPad which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.
    Good for them....
    There must be a lot of people on the rag.
    I still don't get it... so much demand and hype over a crippled device that doesn't do anything particularly well. I'm convinced that Jobs should start pooping in boxes and sell iTurds.
    i don't want one cause i have no use for one and a lot of other things to spend my money on. give me a free one and i'll take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I still don't get it... so much demand and hype over a crippled device that doesn't do anything particularly well. I'm convinced that Jobs should start pooping in boxes and sell iTurds.
    It does many things very well.
    The one problem is doesn't it help make the touch harder to sell? Except for the price, of course. Same as iPhones slowed down iPod sales.

There's a rumor that the new touch(likely September as usual) will finally have a camera though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The one problem is doesn't it help make the touch harder to sell? Except for the price, of course. Same as iPhones slowed down iPod sales.

There's a rumor that the new touch(likely September as usual) will finally have a camera though.
    I guess, but why would Apple care? You are still deciding between two Apple devices.
    Why would Apple care? Because they're still making touches and hope to sell those too? You don't want to have inventory backup.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why would Apple care? Because they're still making touches and hope to sell those too? You don't want to have inventory backup.

Apple, and the analysts following them, were very upfront that the iPad slid nicely into the empty spot between an iTouch and a MacBook.

Not uncommon at all for companies - esp electronic - to create products that fill in the gaps of their product line.

Its a far more financially successful strategy than trying to shoe horn customers into one ill-fitting category over another. And watching them go somewhere else.

I dare say, EVERY consumer electronics company uses this strategy - might cannibalize one product line, but keeps the money in-house AND has the potential to pull in customers from lines that don't have that slot (which is, apparently, everyone at the moment).
    This is all I can think of to post for this topic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    There must be a lot of people on the rag.
    This always bust me up. Im sure its been seen a zillion times.

Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I'm not a fan of them being so successful out of the gate for purely selfish cheap-o consumer reasons. I want TWO because the wife just isn't into sharing.

IMO, Apple does make great products BUT they tend to be overpriced and under-featured. So I was really hoping for slow sales so that we'd get a big pricedrop and a quick feature upgrade (retina screen/camera). But with the iPad being an instant global hit then I'm worried that we're stuck with these pricepoints and all future updates will just be feature refreshes still stuck at a crazy $500-$829 pricetag.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/22/2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I'm not a fan of them being so successful out of the gate for purely selfish cheap-o consumer reasons. I want TWO because the wife just isn't into sharing.

IMO, Apple does make great products BUT they tend to be overpriced and under-featured. So I was really hoping for slow sales so that we'd get a big pricedrop and a quick feature upgrade (retina screen/camera). But with the iPad being an instant global hit then I'm worried that we're stuck with these pricepoints and all future updates will just be feature refreshes still stuck at a crazy $500-$829 pricetag.
    The iPad is actually one of Apple's lowest margin products.
    Did the "reporter" for this actually call the iFemininehygeneproduct "magical"? I can understand Jobs saying that, he's trying to sell the thing... but in a supposed "news" blurb?

Just goes to show you, 3 million people can be wrong.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The iPad is actually one of Apple's lowest margin products.
    True, but that means - as Urkel fears - that the current price points will not be dropping as Apple will need to maintain them in order to generate profit once manufacturing and component costs drop on iPad.

People will pay whatever price Apple sets, tho, so they have no incentive to drop.
    I just watched this guy at the local Peet's Coffee pack up his iPad into his man-purse...
    Almost a perfect storm of hipster d-bagness!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I just watched this guy at the local Peet's Coffee pack up his iPad into his man-purse...
    Was he rockin' a soul patch? I'd bet he was.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    No, but he was wearing sandals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast