1.    #1  
    I know technically speaking, MHS is free. I am not talking about the Cost of either.

I just want to know out of curiosity the difference between the 2. In real life situations.

pls don't make this an iphone vs pre/webos thread lets make this one factual
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    I know technically speaking, MHS is free. I am not talking about the Cost of either.

I just want to know out of curiosity the difference between the 2. In real life situations.

pls don't make this an iphone vs pre/webos thread lets make this one factual
    MHS and Tethering to my knowledge.. their purpose are the same. While using either one, your device can connect up to five devices. Maybe one of the experts on this topic could chime in. ;-)
    I believe that the iPhone4 tethereing is physical tethering...as in there's no wifi or BT option. You need a cord connected to the USB port of the device wanting to share your phones internet connection and the iPhone...hence why it will not work with the iPad (no USB port on the iPad)
  4.    #4  
    i've read somewhere that tethering is BT and USB... not sure about wifi tho, but have not confirmed the fact yet...
    Dunno the specifics on iphone or whatever, but to clarify:

Tethering is simply using your device as a router from a single device. Usually via a USB cable, or bluetooth. Typically it is done via a hide NAT and enabling forwarding between the two interfaces. I guess it would be possible to tether multiple devices, but it's not typical, and not as easily achieved.

MHS is the same, except that it turns your phone into a wireless access point, so multiple devices can share the connection wirelessly via 802.11. You still NAT behind the public IP address seen to the Internet at large, or your mobile provider if they, too, are NATing your connection.

Personally, I'd use tethering more than MHS (MHS sucks the battery, and if you use it you pretty much need to use palm's 1A charger, as drain is faster than charge with a standard USB cable), but MHS is easier to get up and running as things are today.
    : (){:|:&};:
  6.    #6  
    @knobbysideup thanks... but i wanted the specifics on the iphone
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Speaking only on the Sprint MyTether solution, this is my most used app because it enables me to use my iPhone still for apps. But the problems I've had with it is battery drain (About 2% per minute), sometimes doesn't connect right away and heat.

I really hope that tethering somehow gets built into the next webos/iphone/android so "it just works". If they can include it then I'd gladly pay for a limited tether package since I don't download anything crazy. Its just for emergency use.
    wrong... you can tether through BT. usb is the other method.

my buddy installed froyo on his android and able to get it to let me tether my iphone through wifi. that was pretty cool. lol, i was testing doing a little browsing while tethered and he can see the amount of data going through and was shocked how my data i was pulling

Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I believe that the iPhone4 tethereing is physical tethering...as in there's no wifi or BT option. You need a cord connected to the USB port of the device wanting to share your phones internet connection and the iPhone...hence why it will not work with the iPad (no USB port on the iPad)
  9.    #9  
    so its settled? the iphone tethering is only BT and USB?

Do if that is so... that is a sort of an AD HOC connection right? so basically, iPhone - AD HOC and webos - wifi router?

am i thinking of it too much?
    Mobile Hotspot uses wifi: that means batery drain, but much faster speed.
    Tethering (something that webOS users can do too) means using BT or USB, much slower than using wifi, but battery saver.

The good thing is that using Mobile HotSpot you can plug your phone too (to the wall or the laptop), so the battery issue is out.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    so its settled? the iphone tethering is only BT and USB?
    You can tether an iPhone via wifi too using MyWi.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    wrong... you can tether through BT. usb is the other method.

my buddy installed froyo on his android and able to get it to let me tether my iphone through wifi. that was pretty cool. lol, i was testing doing a little browsing while tethered and he can see the amount of data going through and was shocked how my data i was pulling
    wait...So you can get your iPhone to connect to a buddy's Android device that has tethering enabled? That's not the tehtering the OP is talking about. Even my stock iPod Touch 1st gen can use the data connection from my Pre (MyTether).

I think that iPhone 4 does BT tethering from what I've revcently read somewhere...no wifi tethering
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    my buddy installed froyo on his android and able to get it to let me tether my iphone through wifi.
    how did he get froyo?
    google has yet to release the froyo update for any android device o.o

..unless it was the leaked nexus 1 build
    sorry.. i guess its 2.1? not up to speed will all the versions and naming so i thought it was froyo. I think he's only had it for 2 to 3 weeks... has his animated backgrounds and stuff like that. and was running flash and showing me some flash games. have to admit it was neat to see flash run... not smooth but ran.

Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post
    how did he get froyo?
    google has yet to release the froyo update for any android device o.o

..unless it was the leaked nexus 1 build