Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 359
  1. #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by dreDREb13 View Post
    I'm just arguing that I don't think the price of a Mac warrants this experience. Plus, I just don't like how Apple is the only controller of this thing. You have to rely on them to make it better, not just any person. That's what I'm not a fan of Apple. They seem to think homebrew and open source is a hindrance, rather than a good thing.

    I understand you're going to need SOME closed doors, but to completely lock down app stores and being against jailbreaking and calling it an infringement of their copyright is a bit too far... I mean, why not be happy people are tinkering with what they've created and let be what may happen?

    Hey, for some, this is okay. Obviously, not everyone cares about the way Apple runs things, but a lot of people do, as well. And with Google making a lot of products (for free, mind you) that are fantastic AND pretty much open to do whatever, that's where I think we should look to.
    Really quick: Apple frowns upon jailbreaking on the iPhone because A LOT of illegal distribution of applications takes place. Not only are they losing money but the app developers do as well. You have to protect not only your consumers, but yourself.

    As a developer that makes a living from developing mobile apps I know I don't want my application standing the chance of being freely distributed.

    Btw, this is also an issue with WebOS, but Palm doesn't seem to care (and it's not as widespread, as there aren't as many users).
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    There are advantages to having vertical integration of a product and can reflect in the overall experience.

    Seriously, have you had any significant seat time with a Mac Book Pro and run some tasks through it? Don't you see where vertical integration has it's positives?

    Seriously. I have had enough seat time to make the opinion that it is not worth the extra $$$ upto $1000. Did i say MAC OS was not good. no. did i say win 7 was better.. no . What i said, And I honestly believe... That I get plenty satisfaction out of the performance of WIN 7... where i do not see the need to spend upto $1000 for the advantages of mac os vs PC win 7. I would rather spend that half of that extra $$$ and put it into hardware upgrades.... then into MAC. Period. ASUS, DELL, HP , Toshiba , Lenovo have all performed very well for me. My experience. My opinion.
    Have you spent considerable seat time with 64 bit Win 7? The fact that you can justify all of that extra $$$ does not make sense to me. It does not have to... because its your choice. But you commenting / posting on how Mac is a BMW compared to what I can buid and run Win 7 on .. does not reasonate with me.... and i find the tone at the least... pretentious. I truly appreciate the quality of german engineered cars... and how/why they are superior in design to most american made cars..But that is a much bigger leap than MAC os to WIN 7.. in my opinion. And I do appreciate the price point of this american car and its style and performance

    2010 CTS-V | High Performance Luxury Sedan | Cadillac

    Apple has every reason to be concerned with HP's acquisition of Palm and webos.... especially with the elegance webos brings to HP products...IMO.
  3. #143  
    Apple has too large of a stronghold on the market to worry about H/Palm who hasn't even put a small dent in the mobile market. It's going to take H/Palm A LOT more than some fancy new hardware and major WebOS upgrades. They need to worry about pushing their app ecosystem, as ultimately, that's what your average user – which makes up a majority of the userbase – cares about.
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by dreDREb13 View Post
    I'm just arguing that I don't think the price of a Mac warrants this experience. Plus, I just don't like how Apple is the only controller of this thing. You have to rely on them to make it better, not just any person. That's what I'm not a fan of Apple. They seem to think homebrew and open source is a hindrance, rather than a good thing.

    I understand you're going to need SOME closed doors, but to completely lock down app stores and being against jailbreaking and calling it an infringement of their copyright is a bit too far... I mean, why not be happy people are tinkering with what they've created and let be what may happen?

    Hey, for some, this is okay. Obviously, not everyone cares about the way Apple runs things, but a lot of people do, as well. And with Google making a lot of products (for free, mind you) that are fantastic AND pretty much open to do whatever, that's where I think we should look to.
    Google is just as locked down as Apple, you just don't realize it. What you and so many others forget about Google and Android is that Google's main business is advertising. Android is all about Google getting more ways to show you more advertising. Try to bypass Admob or their other advertising venues or try to get around them showing you that ad and see how fast they fix or try to block you from doing that. Google will lock you out from doing that. Just as Apple controls their main cash cow which is selling hardware, etc.
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple has too large of a stronghold on the market to worry about H/Palm who hasn't even put a small dent in the mobile market. It's going to take H/Palm A LOT more than some fancy new hardware and major WebOS upgrades. They need to worry about pushing their app ecosystem, as ultimately, that's what your average user which makes up a majority of the userbase cares about.
    Wow... amnesia or not a big Apple history buff.
    There is this company called Microsoft... DO you remember the market share that Microsoft had compared to apple in 2000?
    as of june 4th 2010 :
    "Apple's market cap is now $240 billion, while Microsoft, yesterday's standard-bearer, is sitting at $235 billion. If you're not immediately shocked, you may want to look back at the start of this millennium. Back in 2000, Microsoft was worth around $500 billion and Apple was picking at the edges with $16 billion, even sinking as low as $4 billion at its post-dot-com-bubble lows" source : fool.com

    Man.. with your logic, Microsoft should not have been concerned with Apple back in 2000... right?( many argue that they weren't... and then paid for it by losing huge marketshare to apple)
    so.. even as of today... Apple has almost identical marketshare as microsoft. That is very impresive... so.. what where you saying again?
    Apple should not be concerned with HP, who can run win 7 ( almost identical market share as apple in 2010) and include webos with their products?
    win 7, fastest selling OS in history
    Windows 7 Becomes Fastest Selling OS in History | Redmond Pie
    Come on man... wake up. Your bias is blinding you. Your logic is flawed...imo.
  6. #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Wow... amnesia or not a big Apple history buff.
    There is this company called Microsoft... DO you remember the market share that Microsoft had compared to apple in 2000?
    as of june 4th 2010 :
    "Apple's market cap is now $240 billion, while Microsoft, yesterday's standard-bearer, is sitting at $235 billion. If you're not immediately shocked, you may want to look back at the start of this millennium. Back in 2000, Microsoft was worth around $500 billion and Apple was picking at the edges with $16 billion, even sinking as low as $4 billion at its post-dot-com-bubble lows" source : fool.com

    Man.. with your logic, Microsoft should not have been concerned with Apple back in 2000... right?( many argue that they weren't... and then paid for it by losing huge marketshare to apple)
    so.. even as of today... Apple has almost identical marketshare as microsoft. That is very impresive... so.. what where you saying again?
    Apple should not be concerned with HP, who can run win 7 ( almost identical market share as apple in 2010) and include webos with their products?
    win 7, fastest selling OS in history
    Windows 7 Becomes Fastest Selling OS in History | Redmond Pie
    Come on man... wake up. Your bias is blinding you. Your logic is flawed...imo.
    Dude, you're all over the map with all this stuff you're saying. You remind me of that rat Speedy Gonzales from Looney Tunes. That just goes on and on, but you're not making any sense.

    Apple and the Mac OS have always been on par with Windows and any other OS. Superior in some things, Windows better in some things.

    BUT, that's not WebOS RIGHT now. HP has a lot of work to do with the hardware and OS of Palm just to be on the same level as the iPhone. Meanwhile, Apple is not setting still.

    Why don't you take a chill pill, let HP announce what they have planned for Palm and the Palm Pre. Wait for it to be released for consumers to buy it. THEN, you can talk about how Palm is going to do. But, to set here and rant on and on about how HP is going to perform with Pre based upon how two other totally different companies competed in the PAST is just plain stupid. Damn, if you were my child I would have you in a comatose state.
  7. #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Wow... amnesia or not a big Apple history buff.
    There is this company called Microsoft... DO you remember the market share that Microsoft had compared to apple in 2000?
    as of june 4th 2010 :
    "Apple's market cap is now $240 billion, while Microsoft, yesterday's standard-bearer, is sitting at $235 billion. If you're not immediately shocked, you may want to look back at the start of this millennium. Back in 2000, Microsoft was worth around $500 billion and Apple was picking at the edges with $16 billion, even sinking as low as $4 billion at its post-dot-com-bubble lows" source : fool.com

    Man.. with your logic, Microsoft should not have been concerned with Apple back in 2000... right?( many argue that they weren't... and then paid for it by losing huge marketshare to apple)
    so.. even as of today... Apple has almost identical marketshare as microsoft. That is very impresive... so.. what where you saying again?
    Apple should not be concerned with HP, who can run win 7 ( almost identical market share as apple in 2010) and include webos with their products?
    win 7, fastest selling OS in history
    Windows 7 Becomes Fastest Selling OS in History | Redmond Pie
    Come on man... wake up. Your bias is blinding you. Your logic is flawed...imo.
    In terms of desktop market share, Microsoft still dominates with Windows.. your comparison isn't exactly relevant.
  8.    #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Dude, you're all over the map with all this stuff you're saying. You remind me of that rat Speedy Gonzales from Looney Tunes. That just goes on and on, but you're not making any sense.

    Apple and the Mac OS have always been on par with Windows and any other OS. Superior in some things, Windows better in some things.

    BUT, that's not WebOS RIGHT now. HP has a lot of work to do with the hardware and OS of Palm just to be on the same level as the iPhone. Meanwhile, Apple is not setting still.

    Why don't you take a chill pill, let HP announce what they have planned for Palm and the Palm Pre. Wait for it to be released for consumers to buy it. THEN, you can talk about how Palm is going to do. But, to set here and rant on and on about how HP is going to perform with Pre based upon how two other totally different companies competed in the PAST is just plain stupid. Damn, if you were my child I would have you in a comatose state.
    Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple has too large of a stronghold on the market to worry about H/Palm who hasn't even put a small dent in the mobile market. It's going to take H/Palm A LOT more than some fancy new hardware and major WebOS upgrades. They need to worry about pushing their app ecosystem, as ultimately, that's what your average user which makes up a majority of the userbase

    all over the place huh... You make a claim like " Apple is too large of a stronghold on the market to worry about HPalm" I debated why HP with WEBOS / win 7 should make them worry.. Used examples of APPLE market share in 2000 compared to Microsoft, to debate your claim.... and then you change your stance to why dont i wait till.... classic.
    I posted links to support that. You avoided it.
    I am not your child...But if i ever saw you put your own child in a comatose state... i would hand you your " " .
    I was sticking to the main topic " why Apple should fear HP"
    All over the place... really. Next time... take a look at the topic of the thread you are posting on. And anytime you want to try putting me in a comatose state... I will be more than happy to let you attempt it.
    Im chill as can be... just debating the main topic of this thread. In doing so... i open myself up to learning more about why someone would choose Apple products over the options PC / HPalm have to offer.
  9. #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    I am not your child...But if i ever saw you put your own child in a comatose state... i would hand you your " " .
    LOL!! Then stop acting like my child, if I had kids.
  10.    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    LOL!! Then stop acting like my child, if I had kids.
    ohh..OK
    Good one!
    Is that what you call it when someone does not agree with you and debates you. You run out of anything to contribute... so you call them a child?
    Weak senior... very weak. I maybe annoying... but the last thing im worried about is your judgment of me being so.
    looks like your all out of reasons to back up why APPLE shouldn't be concerned with HPALM. Tough isn't it... this was so easy for you for the past five years. Technology... amazing how its always evolving and changing... isnt it?
    Thanks for your contributions...
    Im off to play 18 holes of golf.... cheerio.
  11. #151  
    EA Tiger Woods or Wii?

    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    ohh..OK
    Im off to play 18 holes of golf.... cheerio.
  12.    #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    EA Tiger Woods or Wii?
    Torrey Pines... REsidential rate $29.
    Great Deal.... Just like my Pre on Sprint everything plan!
  13. #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What do you call it when one "ignores" something that is only individually perceptible?

    If I don't care for foie gras, am I ignoring how great it is or am I being true to my taste buds?

    The Apple snobbishness in here is thick, thick, thick....
    You are ignoring how great foie gras is. There must something wrong with your taste buds.
  14. #154  
    Hp/Palm has a long ...long way to go to even register on Apples radar. Apple has zero concern for HP. now Android is starting to bug Apple.
  15.    #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Hp/Palm has a long ...long way to go to even register on Apples radar. Apple has zero concern for HP. now Android is starting to bug Apple.
    The prophet has spoken... now we must wait and see.

    Apples radar... is that like gaydar? zero concern?
    "apple HQ - "there is a big wooden horse at our front door mr. jobs.... should we let him in? His name is HPALM."
    Mr. jobs " Ohh.. Hpalm... no threat... let him right in. Make sure you make him feel right at home!"
    " mR. jobs... There is a green robot at the front door...his name is Android from the planet Google. He wants to come in. "
    Mr. Jobs " NOOOO! He is an intruder that has been BUGGING us!. DO not let him in... if you can contact the CIA/ FBI and have them break into his space ship and confiscate all of their computers... there is a 36 hr shift with your name on it... and i will bump up your pay to $160 a month."
    Joke.... i kid... the level of debate on this thread has diminished considerably.
    Calling out to all Apple intellectuals... class is in session... their are students that are lost in the mystical ways of apple... that need you to school us. We are lost in believing that HPALM is a serious competitor.... for all of the facts stated. Please enlighten us... but leave your Pompous... better than thou... preferential claims ... in your head. give up the goods...
    no direct/ personal jab @ vaccpalm. Just a little humor and a call to those die hard Mac addicts out there.
    Last edited by clutch1222; 06/28/2010 at 01:54 AM. Reason: sp
  16.    #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    EA Tiger Woods or Wii?
    thanks for injecting some humor into the thread...always welcome. I did buy the eas tiger game for webos... the commentators are hilarious! They call it like they see it.... brutal. i can respect that ;-)
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    The prophet has spoken... now we must wait and see.

    Apples radar... is that like gaydar? zero concern?
    "apple HQ - "there is a big wooden horse at our front door mr. jobs.... should we let him in? His name is HPALM."
    Mr. jobs " Ohh.. Hpalm... no threat... let him right in. Make sure you make him feel right at home!"
    " mR. jobs... There is a green robot at the front door...his name is Android from the planet Google. He wants to come in. "
    Mr. Jobs " NOOOO! He is an intruder that has been BUGGING us!. DO not let him in... if you can contact the CIA/ FBI and have them break into his space ship and confiscate all of their computers... there is a 36 hr shift with your name on it... and i will bump up your pay to $160 a month."
    Joke.... i kid... the level of debate on this thread has diminished considerably.
    Calling out to all Apple intellectuals... class is in session... their are students that are lost in the mystical ways of apple... that need you to school us. We are lost in believing that HPALM is a serious competitor.... for all of the facts stated. Please enlighten us... but leave your Pompous... better than thou... preferential claims ... in your head. give up the goods...
    no direct/ personal jab @ vaccpalm. Just a little humor and a call to those die hard Mac addicts out there.
    Look, it's pretty simple if you think about it.

    Mobile phones, computers, etc. are all preferential choices we make. All you have to do is look at the numbers; Apple has one phone on a single U.S. carrier, a carrier that sucks, yet people are able to put aside their frustration and money to have a device that they believe is the best available.

    You have Android, WebOS and other devices/platforms that are available on ALL U.S. carriers, yet the iPhone still dominates. You don't have to understand why this is or why someone would choose a device like the iPhone over the Pre … the only thing you need to understand is you're not like the rest.

    You, and many others that are members of this board want something else, something that you can't find or desire in the iPhone; don't let your lack of desire for a device try and invalidate the desire of someone else's. Plain and simple.

    As for H/Palm being a threat … Palm had a year to make an impression and they failed, miserably. What makes you think that HP will do any better? Because they have the capital to further push WebOS and hardware? That may be true, but personally I think they lack the vision. Debate that all you want, but HP has tried once already at the mobile market and failed. I doubt they'll succeed with WebOS at the helm, especially considering that the public has shown no interest in the special offerings that WebOS has.

    Just my $0.02.
  18.    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Look, it's pretty simple if you think about it.

    Mobile phones, computers, etc. are all preferential choices we make. All you have to do is look at the numbers; Apple has one phone on a single U.S. carrier, a carrier that sucks, yet people are able to put aside their frustration and money to have a device that they believe is the best available.

    You have Android, WebOS and other devices/platforms that are available on ALL U.S. carriers, yet the iPhone still dominates. You don't have to understand why this is or why someone would choose a device like the iPhone over the Pre the only thing you need to understand is you're not like the rest.

    You, and many others that are members of this board want something else, something that you can't find or desire in the iPhone; don't let your lack of desire for a device try and invalidate the desire of someone else's. Plain and simple.

    As for H/Palm being a threat Palm had a year to make an impression and they failed, miserably. What makes you think that HP will do any better? Because they have the capital to further push WebOS and hardware? That may be true, but personally I think they lack the vision. Debate that all you want, but HP has tried once already at the mobile market and failed. I doubt they'll succeed with WebOS at the helm, especially considering that the public has shown no interest in the special offerings that WebOS has.

    Just my $0.02.
    well... I can respect that opinion. I can see its how you honestly feel.
    we are debating the potential of HPALm and WEBOS... and you state that you feel it will be a nonfactor for apple. We can agree to disagree.
    Fair enough. Thanks for having the balls to speak your mind and give an honest opinion. None of us know what is in store in the next 6 months. I think HPALM will finally get it together and put fortha product that will distinguish itself from apple and google. It will be desirable and it will change the industry.
    we are just speculating... news has been pretty dead these days. I thank you for sharing your thoughts, passions etc. lets hope for great innovation from all three of them... which will result in better consumer choices. A world with only apple products would be a major disappointment for me... im sure many can agree.
  19. #159  
    To see what sort of mobile devices HP has been producing up to now check out the HP Glisten.
  20. #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    To see what sort of mobile devices HP has been producing up to now check out the HP Glisten.
    No kidding. I can't decide if it's the HP Moto Q or the HP Samsung Blackjack. Did they even design/manufacture any part of that phone themselves?

    Clearly the HP culture has had little room for innovation in the handheld department to date. It will be interesting to see if little ol' Palm can make a dent in the culture of mobile technology dinosaur they're going to go work for.
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions