Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post

Here is the notebook I have which can be bought for $612...

ASUS G50V
    Just a few nice specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo P7450 2.13 GHz processor
    4 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS w/512 MB GDDR3 VRAM
    DVD±RW DL drive w/LightScribe
    Integrated 802.11g Wireless LAN
    320 GB hard drive
    Add a multi-touch capacitative screen to that, and see what it does to your price point.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh, you have to buy a retail Snow Leopard disc to complete the Hackintosh-ing. I guess there's some convoluted way to make a fake .ISO but I wouldn't bother.

I think I'm going to try Jolicloud linux, tho. Awesome UI and dualbooting with it is as easy as pie.

Very odd complaints you have against the notebook Sinime posted, tho. You don't think a 15.4-inch widescreen capable of WAY greater resolution/pixels than the iPad looks "nearly as good"? Buddy, it's better. Way better. So is the 11.6-inch 1366×768 one on my HP Mini. You assume the build quality is poor? Asus, one of the more well-regarded and well-awarded manufacturers out there?

I mean, even if these were somehow tradeoffs, look at all of the money, features, and software you give up to get an iPad. It's not even close.
    Even if you buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard, installing it on non Apple hardware is not permitted by the license.

As for the Asus notebook. I admit there are some assumptions in my comments but own a couple of Asus Netbooks and I am not impressed with the build quality. That said, I have never been impressed with the build quality of any cheap laptop I have owned.

BTW The resolution of your HP isn't that much greater than the iPad and I doubt the HP has an LED backlit IPS screen.

Of course its pretty silly to compare the iPad to a laptop with a 15.4" screen and a DVD drive. Amost as silly as comparing it to a 27" iMac.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Even if you buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard, installing it on non Apple hardware is not permitted by the license.
    Fair enough. I would only ever bother for the sake of curiosity. OSX does not compel me.

BTW The resolution of your HP isn't that much greater than the iPad and I doubt the HP has an LED backlit IPS screen.
    Who cares when I'm watching hi-definition TV movies actually in hi-definition? On iPad, it's like watching them on a 4:3 TV with all of the black boxes. I bought an HDTV to get AWAY from that. I can also look at multiple windows at once. I can also use the entire screen while typing instead of having a virtual keyboard take up almost half of the screen making it very difficult to get work on spreadsheets and lengthy Word documents done. I also don't have to hold the screen up or hunch over it on my lap.

It's not backlit, tho?!?!? Aw, maaaaan....
  4.    #104  
    @ black magic...
    way to cut and paste out of context.
    we can debate the reasons for palms failure to sell phones for months... I disagree that it is because of it's hardware and webos...soley. It is first gen and yes it has been buggy.. But so was the first iphone
    " you have no arguments based on anything". O.k. That is a huge generalization. Nuff said.
    my experience with webos , along with many othrers on this site has been "better" than with ios or android. Why is it "better" for all of the reasons I have already debated for months now...and for all of the reasoons even the most respected analyst and the supporters of this site have claimed. Webos is among, if not, the best mobile o.s. On the market. You disagre. It's your opinion. You can post as much as you want. If you notice... I support everyones post by thanking them... No matter how ridiculous some of those post maybe. Why? Because they make the deate ... Better, worse, add credibility, discredit it and themselves. It is all a part of what these threaes are all about. I am getting a better understanding of who is pushing their own agendas and bias... And who is actually trying to learn something, add something, and make use of this tool.
    this post has taught me many things about posting , debating and respecting others view points. I will use that and grow from it.
    do I still almost completely disagree with? Yes.
    you compare iphone as a while to pre. You compare apple to palm / hp. You us sales as a measure of a better product. I do not. Why? There have been many good products over the years that have beendiscountinued due to poor marketing_ innsufficient funding, poor consumer awareness. Webos has tremendous potential.. That's why I support it. It is my os of choice.
    as far as apple being a bigger tech company or samsung...mayne IT company... Not even close.
    do you want to debate that topic? HP scale in IT as compared to apple or samsung. I haven't done the research... But I'm willing to bet that apple sales of computers ( not ipods , itunes,etc) is not greater than HP. And if it is... That must be breaking news. Regardless.. They are both big... And palm was not. HP will be the difference . My opinon
    Who cares when I'm watching hi-definition TV movies actually in hi-definition? On iPad, it's like watching them on a 4:3 TV with all of the black boxes. I bought an HDTV to get AWAY from that. I can also look at multiple windows at once. I can also use the entire screen while typing instead of having a virtual keyboard take up almost half of the screen making it very difficult to get work on spreadsheets and lengthy Word documents done. I also don't have to hold the screen up or hunch over it on my lap.
    I wouldn't watch HD movies on an iPad or a laptop. That's what a 50" Plasma is for (with DTS/DD surround sound and a Blu-Ray player of course).

Can't say I spend much time working on large spreadsheets or word documents but I probably wouldn't use a laptop if I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I wouldn't watch HD movies on an iPad or a laptop. That's what a 50" Plasma is for (with DTS/DD surround sound and a Blu-Ray player of course).

Can't say I spend much time working on large spreadsheets or word documents but I probably wouldn't use a laptop if I did.
    Can't take a 50" plasma tv with you on a plane/train/automobile, or while sitting at the coffee shop, or .. you catch my drift.

And I have to say, I enjoy watching tv shows and movies on my iPad with a nice pair of headphones – Dr. Dre's – just as much as I do at my home theater. The ability to do it while on the go and with such ease makes it all that much sweeter.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Can't take a 50" plasma tv with you on a plane/train/automobile, or while sitting at the coffee shop, or .. you catch my drift.

And I have to say, I enjoy watching tv shows and movies on my iPad with a nice pair of headphones – Dr. Dre's – just as much as I do at my home theater. The ability to do it while on the go and with such ease makes it all that much sweeter.
    True, I just wait until I get home to watch movies. I do stream some old British TV shows from Netflix to the iPad. The video quality is not great and they actually look better on the iPad.
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Clutch1222, I am very well aware that the iPhone or Apple products are not for everyone. Apple users are not elitist. They just want a product that is very well polished, designed well, and everything just works well together.

EX: It's like a man that would never buy a suit off the rack at Macy's. He wants his suit tailored to his body with the materials that he wants. That doesn't make him an elitist because he wants to spend more money for a suit that is tailored for him and him only.

Same with Apple, their products are designed to not get in the way of the user which is to just work and not bother the user with things they don't care about. Perfect example: Most people want cars with an automatic transmission. Nobody wants to be bothered shifting a manual transmission. Doesn't make the majority of people elitist because they don't want to shift gears. Just like it doesn't make people that want Apple products elitist because they want their stuff to just work in the simplest manner possible.

About iPhone users on this site. If you didn't talk about Apple or the iPhone on this site, I would never have a reason to post on here. If you go back and look at most of my posts they are in response to some INCORRECT about Apple or the iPhone and I call people out on it and usually provide a web link about what I posted. Perfect example of that is the huge misinformation about Microsoft bailing out Apple with the $150 million. It wasn't to bail Apple out, it was to settle the lawsuit between the two companies.

But, if you go back to those posts you will see people that kept on talking about about it even after I provided more than one link that explained it. It's just ignorant to be on the internet and NOT use the internet to get the correct info.

Or, people that call anyone that buys an iPhone sheeple, or other silly nonsense. But, if a lot of people were to buy the Palm Pre in your eyes on this forum that's a smart decision.

About the Palm Pre. In it's current state including both hardware and it's OS. For the MAJORITY of consumers it's not in the same league as the iPhone when it comes to the TOTAL package that the iPhone offers. You can't keep talking about true multi-tasking and IGNORE all the other problems that the Palm Pre has. If HP redoes the Palm Pre and release a product with quality hardware, an upgraded more stable OS, and get's more developers onboard to develop for it. Then I will take that into consideration. But, to set here and deny that the Palm Pre has some major problems is just sticking your head in the sand.

It's very simple. Post factual and correct info and I don't have a reason to post. Other than I come here and to a lot of various forums to read about other tech products and learn something if the info is correct.

As for my name, SoFly. It's a based upon aviation. Nothing about my personality.
    very well said... And points taken.,i have been a member of this site since I found out about it right after pre launch.
    I have spent may hours reading posts on this site. I did not feel compelled to start posting... Until the levels of disrespect got so high... In palms darkest hours. Android and apple fanatics brutally clowning pre and webos users. Not sure if you were paying attention or contributing or not. I had enough off reading that nonsense and started debating why I think palm webos had a future. I purchased palm stock when advisors claimed it was worth $0. I purchased in palms darkest moments.. Because I believed in it's product and it's future. It's time for me to scake back and change my approach. It seems as webos keeps getting more respect here everyday... And the clowns that were negatively posting have started to disapear. I stick up for the little guy.. Especially when I believe in em.
    I appreciate your points abd they are an excellent reminder for me to tone it down. My lil bro webos is going to be ok now...and he will have a chance to grow and develop. Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

Yeah, I have the same ability except with more resolution, more screen real estate, and half the price.
    Yeah, I have the same ability except with more resolution, more screen real estate, and half the price.
    Your laptop cost $250?
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    I support everyones post by thanking them...
    no you didn't. you go rude. "troll", "bashing", "Elitist". Hardly thanking. That said i'm not asking for anyone's thanks so no need. But you're hardly out there thanking me.

You us sales as a measure of a better product. I do not.
    No i don't. i don't care what a few people think is "better." I said it's not selling and you keep saying "but it's webos is better." i'm saying id doesn't matter what a small minority think is better. They are trying to get the market share of the majority that do not think it's better. i care what the majority thinks is better, right or wrong, cause that's what will gest bought and that's what gets the product widespread developer support. "Better" is subjective. it's one persons opinion. Plus you just said that you don't care about sales. i'm responding to that statement. fine but big picture, most people do care, cause sales affects them, in all kinds of ways specifically meaning Palm would have more money to further develop the platform. But sales may not matter in your world but sales are the bottom line. And as you ignored. Palm's stock fell on bad sales, and missed earnings. And i know cause i was invested in Palm and was diligently tracking the stock.

I haven't done the research...
    i have. i you had you'd know the market cap of apple and is more then HP which is why it's Apple is a bigger tech company. Not to mention Samsung isn't just one company making computers. it's like 9 making **** like Boats and buildings and oil tankers too, not to mention, every household appliance there is like dishwashers and microwaves, tvs, and refrigerators. They are a massive company.

But I'm willing to bet that apple sales of computers ( not ipods , itunes,etc) is not greater than HP.
    maybe. doesn't really matter. computers sales are declining across the board. they are a shrinking part of a companies revenue which is why they need to expand into growing ones like mobile tech. So HP excels in an area that is struggling and Apple excels in an area that is growing. Not to mention. Apple has more cash reserves. Regardless, i'm done with this.
  12.    #112  
    @ black Magic
    " Regardless, i'm done with this."
    Is that a promise Mr Black Magic? if so... Thank you very much.
    Great timing too... because HP is about to open a can of whoop **** on samsung , apple , etc. MY 2 cents.
    The world of magic... where you believe in anything you want and you spin things until they look good to you.
    What ever you say mr. magic. Samsung, Apple < google all have a bigger IT presence around the Globe Than HP. It seems that you are unaware of HP's scale...its o.k. Thats what we are here for.. to teach each other . Prepared to get schooled

HP Transforms Walmart Photo Departments Nationwide with “Prints in Minutes” Service and Advanced Creative Tools for Customers

HP Transforms Walmart Photo Departments Nationwide with “Prints in Minutes” Service and Advanced Creative Tools for Customers

Cant wait to send my pics directly to walmart for processing wiyth me=y new webos phone....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Automates and Simplifies IT to Save Companies Millions of Dollars in Operational Costs

DreamWorks Animation Looks to HP for Its Next-generation Networking Infrastructure

HP Partners with Vidyo to Offer Anytime, Anywhere Visual Collaboration

This... is a big one
    HP Awarded U.S. Air Force Security Contract to Build and Implement Cyber Control System

Mersive and HP Collaborate to Bring Large-scale, Beyond-high-definition Displays to the Mainstream

HP Introduces the Future of Printing: Web Connected and Cloud Aware

huge $$$ pockets. WOW... al i can say

HP to Invest $1 Billion to Launch New Era of Enterprise Services

well .. there you go Mr. Black Magic. Considered your self schooled on HP happenings. All of these announcents... occurred in the Month of JUNE 2010 So, What was that about SAMSUNG were you saying? And APPLE? how many ipods, ipads, iphones and mp3's did they sell this Month? What.. i left out the APPLE TV.
    The Game has changed. Except it... believe it... and embrace it. IT benefits us all.
    As far as the thanks i give out.... i will throw out 1.. Your Welcome!
    Alright, folks. It's getting a little warm in here. Please focus less on particular people and more on the topic.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    that's all interesting read... basing it all on hp's press release site... P.R. site... can't be just a tad bias right? lol.

you do realize that when they say they are the largest IT company in the world, they are basing that 2009 revenue right? Computer sales, Printer sales, Printer ink cartridge sales... everything right? And they say IT but I think they based it on the Fortune 500 list where they are #1 in category but it's not IT... "Computer and OFFICE EQUIPMENT."

you want to compare those headlines to IT Services and strictly IT services then the King of the hill for IT services is IBM I believe.

And even then, Fortunes ranking is of American companies. If you want to find the largest GLOBAL technologies company, if you believe DataMonitor, then Samsung is the largest GT company by revenue.

HP is a great company no doubt... they are into everything and may dominate PC/Laptop sales even though I believe I read ACER is projected to overtake them next year, services and Enterprise (I am a big fan of their servers).

But really, don't spout that they are the greatest IT company in the world because you read it in their press release and do not understand how they based it on. What does that have to do with cell phones? Have you seen HPs massive success record with cell phones?

And yes, Apple is the largest US company by market cap.
    Last edited by donm527; 06/26/2010 at 09:48 PM.
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    that's all interesting read... basing it all on hp's press release site... P.R. site... can't be just a tad bias right? lol.

you do realize that when they say they are the largest IT company in the world, they are basing that 2009 revenue right? Computer sales, Printer sales, Printer ink cartridge sales... everything right? And they say IT but I think they based it on the Fortune 500 list where they are #1 in category but it's not IT... "Computer and OFFICE EQUIPMENT."

you want to compare those headlines to IT Services and strictly IT services then the King of the hill for IT services is IBM I believe.

And even then, Fortunes ranking is of American companies. If you want to find the largest GLOBAL technologies company, if you believe DataMonitor, then Samsung is the largest GT company by revenue.

HP is a great company no doubt... they are into everything and may dominate PC/Laptop sales even though I believe I read ACER is projected to overtake them next year, services and Enterprise (I am a big fan of their servers).

But really, don't spout that they are the greatest IT company in the world because you read it in their press release and do not understand how they based it on. What does that have to do with cell phones? Have you seen HPs massive success record with cell phones?

And yes, Apple is the largest US company by market cap.
    wow... You got me. Last time I checked... They were the largest tech co in the world.. Not the usa. But so mabe they are 3rd.
    did you take a look at the press releases ( they releasd to public... Are you saying they are lying? Ipad sold 3 million as per apple.. But they are more trust worthy than hp?)
    keep it treal. The point of thread is Apple should be concerned... They would be stupid not to be. HP Q palm are legit competitors ... And the game will change.
    so far samsung_ ibm... Who else will be brought up?
    look at HPnews... It speaks for itself. Look at recent companies they have acquired and the $$$ they are spending. You are calling them a printer/ink cartridge/ pc company?
    carry on... Your time for discrediting palm.. And HP is running out.
    way to stick to any fragment of negativity you can scrounge up.
    HP is HERE.... They "Love WEB OS". Acknowledge and respect webOS .
    Apple... Consumer market, consumption devices.. They do that well. HP has bigger plans. The good news is this will be archived. And we shall see what the future brings.
    I'm proud of myself... I didn't use troll, hater, *****ing, .... No "bad" words.
  16.    #116  
    @donm527
    "what does that have to do with cell phones"
    have you been locked up in a closet? HP ceo announced they have bigger plans than cell phones... Then clarified that cellphones will be a big part of it... But they didn't spend billion to get into smartphone market. They have a much bigger vision for webos. Go google "ubiquitous computing".
    then tell me aboit samsung, ibm, or apples recent press teleases compared to hp's. Dude..its time to wake up. You can't keep putting down palm for past mistakes. They are on track with HP to really kick some booty... Period.
    that is what it has to do with cell phones. Apple will need to scrap ios to compete with hp apple on web... If they want to maintain competitive.
    You are calling them a printer/ink cartridge/ pc company?
    seriously... do you know what kind of company hp is? Do you know what segments their money comes from? you think printers and ink cartridges are a joke?

wow... You got me. Last time I checked... They were the largest tech co in the world.. Not the usa. But so mabe they are 3rd.
    lol... hey, you were the one telling other people 'prepared to be schooled' and reading off hp's press release site without understanding what you writing down nor without any real understanding of what hp is.

you read a few things and you think they are going to integrate webos with a supercomputer that will have far reaching effects to all devices and be a part of everything they do? will it learn to a self aware system and they will rename it SKYNET?

wasn't my intent to school you... was just straightening things out for you. not trying to be negative in telling you what hp kind of company hp is and where their revenue comes from.

Come on... you said it yourself, "Thats what we are here for.. to teach each other"

dont be so upset dude. your taking this ****** stuff way too personally.
    Last edited by donm527; 06/26/2010 at 11:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Yep, all so that Apple can continue to provide that seamless user experience that just works. If that is too much control for you, then buy another product. But, to call someone a lemming because they want that, is just you being...(I almost forgot, I'm suppose to be nice).

About the iPad. I don't understand why so many single people buy over-sized SUVS that get horrible gas mileage, hard to drive versus a car, take up more space on the road, not good for the environment, costs more than a car, etc. But, people continue to buy them.

The iPad is perfect for consuming media and casually browsing the internet. It works perfect for that.
    I'm pretty sure people don't spend $1300 on a 13" Macbook because it's an experience that "just works"... I mean, I'm just saying, it's not JUST that people recognize the "experience." Honestly, I'm not sure there's any justification for making people pay such gratuitous amounts of money for something that "just works" due to loads of restrictions and nothing but a closed environment.

I mean, I recently built a PC, and just for laughs I went onto Apple.com to see the price of a Mac with the same exact specs. $740 for mine, $4000 for the Mac. If that's the price for a user experience that "just works," then you can count me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreDREb13 View Post
    I'm pretty sure people don't spend $1300 on a 13" Macbook because it's an experience that "just works"... I mean, I'm just saying, it's not JUST that people recognize the "experience." Honestly, I'm not sure there's any justification for making people pay such gratuitous amounts of money for something that "just works" due to loads of restrictions and nothing but a closed environment.

I mean, I recently built a PC, and just for laughs I went onto Apple.com to see the price of a Mac with the same exact specs. $740 for mine, $4000 for the Mac. If that's the price for a user experience that "just works," then you can count me out.
    Out of curiosity, what's so "closed" about a Mac?