Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    >>just because something is marketable, popular, does not make it better.

Better than what? Imaginary specs on products not yet delivered?

I am sure something will come out that bests the iPad - none of the current tablets do, i am assuming you agree with that - but until now, its hard pressed to say there is a tablet that is better.
    I am going to make this point. This is what you chimmed in with on this thread initially. You did not comment on topic... You found something to disagree with ME on... And then you spent several posts arguing with me.
    I'm done with you. You are a drama queen. I have no time to watse debating you.
    you had an opportunity on this thread to comment on the topic... And all you choose to do is debate me. I could care less what you think at this point... And I'm sure no one cares who wins these debates between us.... But you.
    I am choosing to ignore your attacks... And if you continue to attack me only and not the debatd topic... I will report you.
    take a look at your recent posts... Many are debating me. Let it go... I'm not wasting me time or any more space on you drama.
    LOL. I'm "attacking" you? You're going to report me for going "off topic?" Debating is bad?

You might want to look in the mirror, my friend, before you go around calling people drama queens!!!
  3.    #43  
    @ fingrl
    what I am basically saying is.... It's not yoi, it's me. I know it's hard to face.... But I'm breaking up with ypu... See, I fell in love with this amazing OS... Called webos. You... Useed to date her and broke up with her... I and I love her more evry day. I know.. I know.. We have so much passion you and I... But all we do is fight. It's ok... I hear you fell in love with an apple and things are going swell. I'm happy for you.
    so this is the end... I can go on hurting you anymore. I think it's best we stay away from each other for a while... If you can't respect that... I will get a restraining order . Good bye... I need to refocus my time on my new love...WEBOS!
  4.    #44  
    [QUOTE=finngirl;2521104]LOL. I'm "attacking" you? You're going to report me for going "off topic?" Debating is bad?

good... Lools like you are starting to se it too. Yes. Yoir first post on this thread was a disagreennt with me. I am only using this one thread as an example....
    I debate with many on this site. But when I realize I just don't see I to I with them...i have to move on because it's no longer productive for me... And it becomes toxic. It's starts as a healthy ... Then turns into this... You chimming on my responses and focusing your time trying to discredit me... For a month now. Let it go... Move on.. You will always be my ex... And I will never forget that. Your special..smarter... Sweeter.. Better than me. I will miss you ;-)
    I think I put in the pipe dream comment only because of HP's track record with acquired companies...hit or miss at best.

It is my fervent hope that HP nails it on both fronts....leveraging a range of exciting and innovative products across both the business and consumer segments. My personal vision would be a whole range of both business and consumer products that either are running a WebOS core or have the ability either via apps or other 'hooks' to be able to interface, interact, or otherwise connect with a WebOS tablet or phone. I would love to have either a smartphone or tablet that would allow me to sync or remote control my laptop or desktop via the cloud, print/scan/fax to any WebOS printer, control electronics and A/V enabled equipment, stream media from networked sources, connect to my office network, manage my business and personal calendars and email accounts, etc.

HP now has the products and software to make all of this happen. Only time will tell if they get it right or let Palm die on the vine.

And yes finngirl, I too am completely baffled as to why Palm did not go gunning for the corporate market first. Perhaps Reubenstein's tenure at Apple had something to do with this choice of targets?
  6.    #46  
    [QUOTE

And yes finngirl, I too am completely baffled as to why Palm did not go gunning for the corporate market first. Perhaps Reubenstein's tenure at Apple had something to do with this choice of targets?[/QUOTE]

in my opinion... It is much harder to penetrate the corporate market. For one... They already have phones ( blackberry) that does everything they need it to do. They already have supprts in pllace for blackberry... So to convince them to undergo that big of a change for a better phone for employees will not be easy.Palm lost that battle. I am in IT for a 300k employee corporation...global. To make any change in IT takes months of research and sometimes years to implement. It would take the scale of a company like HP to penetrate that market. Looks like that is what HP plans to do with webos.... As well as consumer. Ubiquitous computing
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr3yGhOsT View Post
    First I feel that a lot of the current Blackberry users are starting to get very jaded with the current RIM offerings. Here at my company our user base is clamoring for us to allow the iPhone into the infastructure. We are pushing back mostly due to several security concerns that the iPhone presents. But this indicates the larger issue that RIM has. They have a product line that feels dated and lacks a robust app catalog to fill in those niche needs some users have. They want to ditch the Blackberry, but there is not really another platform that makes sense to migrate to. The iPhone is not a viable option, as many companies (like mine) who are under serious regulatory scrutiny cannot allow any platform into our environment that we do not directly control, and the closed system of the iPhone makes this impossible. It may be an option for some businesses, but not here. So I think that if a viable contender were to arrive, then many end users would flee the Blackberry in droves.

Enter the Palm/HP juggernaut. Palm has a seasoned past in the corporate space, as before RIM, everyone here was carrying Palm PDA's. HP is also has a huge presence in most corporate settings: huge networked printers, blade servers in the data center, desktops and laptops on workspaces, etc. HP is a dominant player in the business world, and if I were a betting man, I would say that this is where they will likely set their sights. RIM is a fairly easy target right now, and the market is dying for an alternative.
    I agree that HP is much stronger in the Enterprise than it is in the Consumer space. Palm however, is not. I don't think RIM is the easy target you imagine. Many companies don't care that their employees find their Blackberries boring. In fact they go out of their way to make them as boring as possible by using BES security policies to turn off things like BB Messenger, BIS access, SD card access, Facebook access etc. Many companies don't want their employees using company issued devices for non business related purposes.

No other smartphone manufacturer provides anything like the security features provided by BES. It is likely that RIM fixes their Web browser and UI long before HP provides a BES alternative.
    Quoted from LCGuy

Having said the above, I believe Apple, and Mr. Jobs has taken sincere notice of the HP buyout of PALM for one reason, or, should I say over 1500 reasons: IP. PALM's IP. (PS, if you are wondering why Apple didn tbuy PALM for its IP, the FTC would NEVER have approved it - that would have created an entity that would have legal monopolistic control over the entire mobile device market)

Palm has the most extensive IP for mobile devices out there.. they started long before anyone else - if there is one company that Apple and Jobs wasn't going to get anywhere pushing around thier IP control with, it was PALM, if they had the money to fight it - with HP, they will, and will, and will likely push the limits with new devices, as well.
    What VALUABLE IP does Palm own that Apple would be remotely interested in? I would like to see actual web links to where you got this info. I want to see actual patents that Palm owns that are not used in the iPhone and would supposedly make the iPhone better than it already is.

The Palm Pre is like an gnat to the iPhone in market share, sales, eco-system, App store, consumer interest, etc. I could go on and on, but you get the point. So, why would Apple waste $1.5 billion on buying Palm to get their worthless IP? If the patents were really of any value, don't you think the Pre would be more successful than it is and actually use the patents in products today?

Between the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad the iOS has a huge lead over any other mobile OS and no amount of those useless 1500 Palm patents can compete against that. If anything, the FTC would be laughing at Apple for being paranoid about a competitor that is not a competitor to Apple.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Just because something sells and is popular might not make it better, but it will make it well supported all around from the mfg to 3rd parties which is also very important (ie. dataviz). And just because a product is technically better doesn't mean it will thrive and succeed. Great products fail to live up to expectation all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    to summarize: you want your tablet to do everything (including Office) but don't want to pay $500 for it.
    no. To clarify... I will not pay $500 for a consumption tablet like ipad. I will pay $500 or more for a tablet with an hp logo that allows me to replace my netbook. It needs to dual boot webos/win7.. Do everything my netbook and webos can do... In an ipad foem factor with bluetooth keyboard etc. I would jump all over that.
  10.    #50  
    still think HP is going to stick to their niche... biz?

http://www.precentral.net/hp-acquire...eaming-service

They are on a buying spree.... I can not wait untill the acquisition is complete. IF it is succesful.... they will change the game.
    Stay tuned....
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Quoted from LCGuy

What VALUABLE IP does Palm own that Apple would be remotely interested in? I would like to see actual web links to where you got this info. I want to see actual patents that Palm owns that are not used in the iPhone and would supposedly make the iPhone better than it already is.

The Palm Pre is like an gnat to the iPhone in market share, sales, eco-system, App store, consumer interest, etc. I could go on and on, but you get the point. So, why would Apple waste $1.5 billion on buying Palm to get their worthless IP? If the patents were really of any value, don't you think the Pre would be more successful than it is and actually use the patents in products today?

Between the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad the iOS has a huge lead over any other mobile OS and no amount of those useless 1500 Palm patents can compete against that. If anything, the FTC would be laughing at Apple for being paranoid about a competitor that is not a competitor to Apple.
    If you would like to see them go find them for yourself. They are all available, publically (well, around 800 of them are easy to find, the rest are a bit more difficult). I did it, you can too. Anyone can. And yes, I read lots of them (or at least the briefs on them).

Now, you can call me to task, however, when you post illogical and grossly incorrect general presumptions like "1500 useless patents" when, in fact, you havent taken this information and researched it first, that tells me that you have a biased and emootionally based opinion, and that's a futile discussion for me, and anyone who enters into it with you.

FWIW, an independant research firm reserached the PALM IP and valued it at $1.5 billion alone, but, of course, you won't believe that either - or you will assign some sort of bias to their research, I'm sure - anything to justify your perception of what you seem to believe is "reality".

Yep, "1,500 useless patents" - if you say so!

PS... your comment about the FTC "laughing about Apple for being so paranoid" was at best, irrational, as the FTC doesnt provide opinions on such matters. They are there to make sure that business sectors have a fair and competitive environment, and that's all. Just FYI...
    Last edited by LCGuy; 06/23/2010 at 09:17 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Quoted from LCGuy

I can tell you about a patent Palm has since 2002...Front Facing Camera for video conferencing. Hmm looks like one of the biggest feautures on EVO and Iphone 4.0

http://www.precentral.net/look-palm-...r-materialized
    This one...1999

Palm, Inc. - 3Com Awarded U.S. Patent # 6,000,000
    and what in this response had anything to do with my quoted part?
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    no. To clarify... I will not pay $500 for a consumption tablet like ipad. I will pay $500 or more for a tablet with an hp logo that allows me to replace my netbook. It needs to dual boot webos/win7.. Do everything my netbook and webos can do... In an ipad foem factor with bluetooth keyboard etc. I would jump all over that.
    Personally I'd just prefer an 11.3" WXGA notebook with rotating multitouch screen that can dual boot win7 and webOS. I'd take that over a tablet format that I need to worry about carrying add ons around all the time. I already carry around a slick sub 3lb 12" laptop (dell e4200). I don't need that and a laptop, and I'm not dealing with the inconvenience of add ons to do serious work on a tablet. If I went the tablet route, the keyboard would have to be integrated to the tablet that it would fold up like a normal laptop and just had the ability to detach and work standalone. Then I would make the keyboard section house an extra battery, an extra 2.5" drive slot and the standard accoutrement of ports, jacks and such. Have the best of both worlds. One device, no compromises for work or play. No longer a luxury item, but a serious device that has the luxury aspect attached to it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    "FWIW, an independant research firm reserached the PALM IP and valued it at $1.5 billion alone, but, of course, you won't believe that either - or you will assign some sort of bias to their research, I'm sure - anything to justify your perception of what you seem to believe is "reality". "

I read this when it was first published (that the IP was valued at $1.5B). When HP/Palm agreed to a deal for $1.2B, it was the first time I began to wonder just how much they valued the smart phone biz.

I mean if the IP alone is $1.5B, shouldn't the phone business add on something?

This is one of the reasons why I am suspicious about HP's consumer phone plans.

Personally I'd just prefer an 11.3" WXGA notebook with rotating multitouch screen that can dual boot win7 and webOS. I'd take that over a tablet format that I need to worry about carrying add ons around all the time. I already carry around a slick sub 3lb 12" laptop (dell e4200). I don't need that and a laptop, and I'm not dealing with the inconvenience of add ons to do serious work on a tablet. If I went the tablet route, the keyboard would have to be integrated to the tablet that it would fold up like a normal laptop and just had the ability to detach and work standalone. Then I would make the keyboard section house an extra battery, an extra 2.5" drive slot and the standard accoutrement of ports, jacks and such. Have the best of both worlds. One device, no compromises for work or play. No longer a luxury item, but a serious device that has the luxury aspect attached to it.
    What's the maximum amount that you would be willing to pay for this device?
    Depends....if we're talking permanently attached screen that rotates so it can lay flat on the keyboard with the screen facing out, SU7300 processor or better (not i5/i7)....I'd like to see a street price of around $700+. If they go to the detachable idea, $850-900. Processor availability and prices I'm sure will be different when something would come to fruition. You can already get an 11.3" laptop with a SU4100 (or is it 4300) for under $500 and an SU7300 for about $600. So by the time something like that comes to fruition, the i series ULV processors will be out and chip prices should be cheaper in the SU series.

When I say luxury, I mean "a luxury" as a non necessity, not upscale. But that makes the tablet a serious device and one that someone who already had a 11-12" portable would seriously consider replacing it. Right now, people that are dropping coin on these laptops aren't really going to consider a tablet. At least in my opinion they won't.

You sell the tablet alone for $600 and make that keyboard attachment $300. I don't know. Just throwing out numbers without really thinking. But i'd sell my Dell in a heartbeat for either of those ideas, and I paid under $700 for the Dell.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  17.    #57  

that quote was in there.... For no apparent reason. I saw it after posted... And haven't bothered to edit it out. It was unintentional.

I like your idea for a tablet. For me personally... I do not want the keyboard attached. A 12inch screen should have a decent onboard kb. If I need a physical... I will bust it out. Maybe have one I keep at home... Another stays in the car. This way... The form factor stays thinner etc.
    I really do like your wants in a tablet. Thanks for sharing them. I may have to revaluate my wants to incorporate some of yours.
    I just think HP has a better chance creating a necessity product as opposed to a luxury product. Take the best of both worlds...the luxury ipad and those 11.3" ultraportables. Meld them together. If you make the keyboard side like a laptop with a fully integrated docking area for the pad you could have that option for the complete setup or still go with a BT keyboard or something more packable so to speak. For the road warrior types and people that want more traditional, you'd have them covered as well.

If someone from HP is listening, I want mine free now
  19.    #59  
    I just think HP has a better chance creating a necessity product as opposed to a luxury product. Take the best of both worlds...the luxury ipad and those 11.3" ultraportables. Meld them together. If you make the keyboard side like a laptop with a fully integrated docking area for the pad you could have that option for the complete setup or still go with a BT keyboard or something more packable so to speak. For the road warrior types and people that want more traditional, you'd have them covered as well.

If someone from HP is listening, I want mine free now
    I agree with you 100%.
    there is plenty of market for hp to target. Apple is a luxury device corp. HP has to make an attempt to emulate that quality... But offer more production oriented options.
    there is a ton of possibilities. If they use all of their failures and palms and learn from them... They can refocus on what consumers want they they ate not currently getting.
    webos is a huge bonus for hp because it is a very elegant os that can bring that "apple" experince to consumers. Then they can also give the consumer options and more bang for buck.
    it's exciting. I do believe they are reading posts. They hould be... It's free look @ what people want. Blogs like these are tools they did not have available when they launched products years ago. Blogs have been around for a while... But not on a scale as large as they are today.
    so HP... Please contact me for delivery info ;-)
  20.    #60  
    @ really mobile.
    I would be willing to pay $500 upto $900 for a device as I described. Depending on quality and options
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast