Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    HP is a smart company and has the ability to choose its markets. I believe they will target their tablets at the non-consumer markets. Perhaps specialty devices for applications like healthcare, law enforcement, industry, and retail.
    I think you are exactly right.

HP is an enterprise-oriented company who has dabbled in consumer products when it was easy. I would go so far to say that not just their tablets will go in this direction, but so will their smart phones.

Although I understandably have been beat up for even implying that here.

Their niche is identifying and creating technology for specific business tasks and I think webos will be a big part of that.

Clutch [edited; I got your name wrong], not sure how to respond but to tell you, yes, I am assuming you are talking about the iPad vs. the (not yet out) Slate - the reason is because you were talking about the iPad and the Slate. Doh.

But feel free to clarify your intent.

I stand by what I said: while I agree that while something might be popular but not better, if there is (currently) nothing competing with it, it is by default better. Certainly better than the daily drops of vapor ware.
    Last edited by finngirl; 06/22/2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Just because something sells and is popular might not make it better, but it will make it well supported all around from the mfg to 3rd parties which is also very important (ie. dataviz). And just because a product is technically better doesn't mean it will thrive and succeed. Great products fail to live up to expectation all the time.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Ipad is a beauty..but I am not interested in one... At all.
    Ipad is being called a consumption device.
    anyways....i am interested in the potential of a new hp webos slate.
    just because something is marketable, popular, does not make it better.
    Just curious, but what exactly is it that you feel a WebOS Slate would provide that the iPad will not?

To me, I oversimplify smartphones and view them to be little more than app launchers. But with tablets then I feel that generalization is increased by a huge amount. 99% of my iPad usage is spent within an app so, even though I really believe WebOS to potentially be a fantastic Tablet OS, if they don't give us REAL apps then it's tough to see them make a big splash.

--BTW. I don't dismiss their potential for success. With Palm pretty much disappointing every carrier with hardware, support and sales issues, then I think HP should play their strengths and use their distribution channels to focus on WebOS tablets and flood the market. By sheer availability they could catch up to Apple... but they need to act fast--
    What I see with webOS on a tablet is a more PC like experience with a fast and light mobile OS. I see its multitasking shine more on a tablet than I do a phone. I see landscape mode fitting two portrait cards at a glance ala win7 snap to fit. But the rub is it will need better apps to help create that experience. It might be a luxury purchase, but if it can't do certain necessary things, like edit office docs, it's useless.

Regardless, I sill wouldn't buy one. My 12" sub 3lb notebook does the job well. I'd upgrade to a similar model with a rotating touchscreen before I bought a tablet. Make it dual bootable with webOS as an instant on OS when I don't need Windows, then I'd consider.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Just curious, but what exactly is it that you feel a WebOS Slate would provide that the iPad will not?

To me, I oversimplify smartphones and view them to be little more than app launchers. But with tablets then I feel that generalization is increased by a huge amount. 99% of my iPad usage is spent within an app so, even though I really believe WebOS to potentially be a fantastic Tablet OS, if they don't give us REAL apps then it's tough to see them make a big splash.

--BTW. I don't dismiss their potential for success. With Palm pretty much disappointing every carrier with hardware, support and sales issues, then I think HP should play their strengths and use their distribution channels to focus on WebOS tablets and flood the market. By sheer availability they could catch up to Apple... but they need to act fast--
    I want options...
    What I want From the next HP slate is a device that will replace my asus netbook. I want it to dual boot win 7 / webos... or capability for launching webos within win 7. Why? I want to run XBMC on my 12 slate. I want to be able to use a blue tooth/ wireless usb keyboard when needed to create/edit/ print office 10 docs etc. I want to be able to run any browser i want .... I want to use Filezilla....etc. Then i want to be able to launch webos and run apps, games and do lite doc editing( hopefully coming soon) ... notifications... all the things that webos does gr8

I want options for:
    USB 3.0
    esata
    at least 64 gb drive
    i want 2 gb ddr2 mem - http://news.micron.com/releasedetail...leaseID=461480
    cpu choices

Have you seen Some of HP's recent acquisitions?n Looks like they have some big plans. If anyone think APPLE has the market capped... i think your mistaken. This is a new transition in mobil computing that will evolve for many years to come... with IPADS needing replacement etc. To think because apple so dominate now should be a deterrent for HP... is absurd.
    They need to use their scale... step up their quality...and Give consumers what APPLE does not... OPTIONS. They can offer an WEBOS only tablet that competes with IPAD as well...
    Last edited by clutch1222; 06/22/2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: add
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I think you are exactly right.

HP is an enterprise-oriented company who has dabbled in consumer products when it was easy. I would go so far to say that not just their tablets will go in this direction, but so will their smart phones.

Although I understandably have been beat up for even implying that here.

Their niche is identifying and creating technology for specific business tasks and I think webos will be a big part of that.

Clutch [edited; I got your name wrong], not sure how to respond but to tell you, yes, I am assuming you are talking about the iPad vs. the (not yet out) Slate - the reason is because you were talking about the iPad and the Slate. Doh.

But feel free to clarify your intent.

I stand by what I said: while I agree that while something might be popular but not better, if there is (currently) nothing competing with it, it is by default better. Certainly better than the daily drops of vapor ware.
    I dis agree...

Wow... whats it like to have no imagination? To think that what apple delivers is soo good that no other company will even attempt to compete with them? I think HP has the scale to do all of what you mentioned... and also compete in the consumer market. How did apple get so successful? It was challenging the goliath Microsoft. If they would have threw in the towel when MS windows/pc launched ms 3.1.... and had a massive portion of the market share... there would be no iphone/ipad/mac pro etc. Instead of quiting, they focused on consumers wants... and where the competition missed the mark.
    I honestly feel that APPLE control will ultimately limit them. HP/ webos open source... vision for ubiquitous computing ( office/home/everywhere) will be succesful.
    Try to take the wool off... think outside the box... ask for more options and less control. You might stop missing out and start getting what you really need and want.
    as far clarification... for your quibbles, I am cutting and pasting the section of a post that confused you :

"anyways....i am interested in the potential of a new hp webos slate.
    just because something is marketable, popular, does not make it better.
    I know no one on this thread is making that assumption...but I have gotten that impresion from apple fans."

the first sentence is one thought.
    the second sentence, is another thought/opinion. The third sentence is obviously a continuation of the the thought expressed in the second sentence.
    I could choose to ignore you... because you continue to quibble on many posts.. but I respect all opinions on this site. Everyone has ideas and opinions. All of them make for good debate...
    Last edited by clutch1222; 06/22/2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: typo
    To think that what apple delivers is soo good that no other company will even attempt to compete with them?...
    Try to take the wool off... think outside the box... ask for more options and less control. You might stop missing out and start getting what you really need and want.

You don't comprehend very well. I stated upthread that I fully expect another product to come along that beats the ipad - I would be disappointed if it did not.

That's competition.

While folks are creating their devices with the bench marks established (fluid, battery life, apps, etc) its fine to speculate. But its dumb to talk about how a heretofore undeveloped product is better than it.

I love the competition. We get a ton of great products that way. And as a capitalist, I happen to think its good for the economy too.

(and all of this is an aside to the fact that the "netbook" you described, if it can currently be made, isn't even in the same category that the iPad is creating. You are looking for a small computer. You should take your own advice and take off the blinders and consider there may be new categories all together that don't fit into your predetermined paradigm of what a "tablet" should look like)
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    You don't comprehend very well. I stated upthread that I fully expect another product to come along that beats the ipad - I would be disappointed if it did not.

That's competition.

While folks are creating their devices with the bench marks established (fluid, battery life, apps, etc) its fine to speculate. But its dumb to talk about how a heretofore undeveloped product is better than it.

I love the competition. We get a ton of great products that way. And as a capitalist, I happen to think its good for the economy too.

(and all of this is an aside to the fact that the "netbook" you described, if it can currently be made, isn't even in the same category that the iPad is creating. You are looking for a small computer. You should take your own advice and take off the blinders and consider there may be new categories all together that don't fit into your predetermined paradigm of what a "tablet" should look like)
    yes. your right . whatever
    I was asked my opinion. I gave it.
    Yes . you you went way out on a limb and said that maybe... at some point.... someone may make a tablet that will compete with the mighty IPAD. But you made it clear that HP will not.
    The last impression i got from your contributions was that HP\WEBOS should not compete in the APPLE consumer market. In fact, you called that they wont even bother.. because they know their "niche"
    You said that HP will stick with enterprise... forget it. You are a spin doctor. I cant spend my time calling your bs out. It will never end because no matter how many times i call you out .. you spin and bake a new batch of crap to put icing on.
    Capitalist? really? Read your own posts. You say i dont comprehend very well... I say you constantly contradict yourself. You are obviously a supporter of Iphone products now... does not matter that you bought palm yrs ago. Just take a look at your gleaming posts on the "ENGADGET ios4 review"... I applaud your satisfaction with Apple products... BUT IN MY OPINION... YOU ARE ON THE WRONG SITE TRYING TO DEFEND IT.
    your opinions are welcome... but your quibbles, spinning, avoidance is really getting old. My opinion... Im sure others feel the same.
  9.    #29  
    BTW.. I am done debating with you Finngrl. We can agree to disagree. It seems like you keep posting on threads i am contributing to... you chime in and start a **** throwing contest.
    Let it go. We are opposites. Stop degrading topics with minor quibbles in hopes to discredit or "WIN"
    Make your opinions... i will make mine. Lets spare everyone else the drama and stop directly quoting each other. Any Peace keepers agree?
    I want options...
    What I want From the next HP slate is a device that will replace my asus netbook. I want it to dual boot win 7 / webos... or capability for launching webos within win 7. Why? I want to run XBMC on my 12 slate. I want to be able to use a blue tooth/ wireless usb keyboard when needed to create/edit/ print office 10 docs etc. I want to be able to run any browser i want .... I want to use Filezilla....etc. Then i want to be able to launch webos and run apps, games and do lite doc editing( hopefully coming soon) ... notifications... all the things that webos does gr8

I want options for:
    USB 3.0
    esata
    at least 64 gb drive
    i want 2 gb ddr2 mem - Micron Technology, Inc. - Micron Introduces 2-Gigabit Low-Power DDR2 Memory for Smartphones and Tablet PCs
    cpu choices

Have you seen Some of HP's recent acquisitions?n Looks like they have some big plans. If anyone think APPLE has the market capped... i think your mistaken. This is a new transition in mobil computing that will evolve for many years to come... with IPADS needing replacement etc. To think because apple so dominate now should be a deterrent for HP... is absurd.
    They need to use their scale... step up their quality...and Give consumers what APPLE does not... OPTIONS. They can offer an WEBOS only tablet that competes with IPAD as well...
    Well, more power to you. I know i don't need an oversized ipod. If I'm carrying around a 10-12" device, then it NEEDS a kb. Or at the very least it needs to snap into some kind of laptop form factor (dock). WebOS at least seems to integrate better with a kb. iOS is a mess with that.

It NEEDS Office. Not docs to go. Not iworks (lol). I don't screw with docs or spreadsheets if i can't rely on the app. Not converting it or exporting it correctly or just being right. Maybe the web versions MS has going will help but i'd prefer the app being on the device.

I really need windows as i have programs that depend on it for work.

I already own a mobile OS device. Don't need another. I still don't think of the ipad as a computer/tablet. It's still a bigger ipod touch which means e-reader as well. But that's a good thing for Apple because i think that is exactly why it is selling so well. Noone is going to jump in and have that success with that form factor without the ecosystem that apple spent millions building.
    Last edited by cardfan; 06/23/2010 at 08:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It NEEDS Office. Not docs to go. Not iworks (lol). I don't screw with docs or spreadsheets if i can't rely on the app. Not converting it or exporting it correctly or just being right. Maybe the web versions MS has going will help but i'd prefer the app being on the device.

I really need windows as i have programs that depend on it for work.
    Sounds like you need a small laptop/netbook. Fortunately there are plenty to chose from.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Sounds like you need a small laptop/netbook. Fortunately there are plenty to chose from.
    Why cant we have those things in a tablet form factor? Why does the Tablet Form Factor only have to be a consumption device?
    Micron has developed 2gb ddr2 mem for smartphones and tablets...in 2010

What he and I are saying is we ( him and I) do not need an oversized IPOD. There is no debating the success of the Ipod. oversized Ipod is exactly what i feel an ipad is. IPAD is also very successful. But that leaves many other consumers left out, in my opinion.
    Im really impressed with IPAD form factor. I want a replacement for my netbook with that form factor. Apple succeeds by making one simple, easy to use device and markets it to the masses. I do not fall into that category of consumer. And no.. I do not want to spend $500 on it to have to jailbreak it and then hassle with wiping it evry time an ios update is released. I may do that with a phone... but not a tablet with more data etc @ that price point.

I think HP niche is giving consumers options. They are a huge IT corp with plenty of resources to do so. They need to provide Apple quality options.. with what I think is a more elegant OS, WEBOS. IF they can dualboot win7 /webos.... Im hooked all over again as I was when I bought my pre.
    Why cant we have those things in a tablet form factor? Why does the Tablet Form Factor only have to be a consumption device?
    Micron has developed 2gb ddr2 mem for smartphones and tablets...in 2010

What he and I are saying is we ( him and I) do not need an oversized IPOD. There is no debating the success of the Ipod. oversized Ipod is exactly what i feel an ipad is. IPAD is also very successful. But that leaves many other consumers left out, in my opinion.
    Im really impressed with IPAD form factor. I want a replacement for my netbook with that form factor. Apple succeeds by making one simple, easy to use device and markets it to the masses. I do not fall into that category of consumer. And no.. I do not want to spend $500 on it to have to jailbreak it and then hassle with wiping it evry time an ios update is released. I may do that with a phone... but not a tablet with more data etc @ that price point.

I think HP niche is giving consumers options. They are a huge IT corp with plenty of resources to do so. They need to provide Apple quality options.. with what I think is a more elegant OS, WEBOS. IF they can dualboot win7 /webos.... Im hooked all over again as I was when I bought my pre.
    to summarize: you want your tablet to do everything (including Office) but don't want to pay $500 for it.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    You can. But once you make a tablet that has a keyboard, all ports, full OS, full access to all Windows programs all on an ultraportable device then isn't that a netbook? And I don't say that condescendingly, I'm just pointing out that you're not describing a tablet, you're describing a small touchscreen computer (which is also pretty darn cool).

What he and I are saying is we ( him and I) do not need an oversized IPOD. There is no debating the success of the Ipod. oversized Ipod is exactly what i feel an ipad is.
    It's very easy to put down something by oversimplifying it to child-like levels and ignoring exactly what makes something "a toy" vs "a tool". A car is just metal with wheels on it. A defibrillator is just an electric spark machine. A hockey stick is just a bent piece of wood. A stove is just a fire maker. All these things are true in the most basic sense, but IF you know how to use them properly then they go far beyond and condescending description you can give them. And same goes for the tired "big iPod" excuse.

For 200,000 apps you are dead on. The iPad IS an oversized iPod. But for a few hundred iPad specific apps (a number increasing daily) then this is developing into it's own as it's own platform. It's not a standalone computer but it could do a large majority of standalone computer tasks IF you are open minded enough to actually implement it into your workflow. I would hope that WebOS plans on being a similar device aimed at tackling specific lightweight rather than overloading it by trying to be a "do it all" machine.

Apple succeeds by making one simple, easy to use device and markets it to the masses. I do not fall into that category of consumer. And no.. I do not want to spend $500 on it to have to jailbreak it and then hassle with wiping it evry time an ios update is released. I may do that with a phone... but not a tablet with more data etc @ that price point.

You seem eager to point out how this product is not for you, but if that's the case then why do you care so much about it? I watch Baseball and don't watch Soccer so when sifting through news all these World Cup stories just sail over my head until I find info on the sport I actually care about.

BTW. I can appreciate your faith in HP and I mean no offense by saying this, but let's be honest here. You're slamming an actual product that delivered on it's promises, yet praising the accomplishments of a non-existent product made by a company that has yet to even offer a roadmap on what they plan to do. It's hard to take that perspective seriously because it's not grounded in reality.
    For the record:

Im not even remotely interested in an iPad, or anything like it (even if it has WebOS on it). I have a very powerful PC, a laptop, and a smartphone (anything else, to me, is wasted money, and not needed).

I WAS very interested in "smartphones" back in 2001, when the first Treo came out. It filled a need that I had, but, unfortunately, was way ahead of its time then. I stayed with the Treo line up until 1 month ago, when I finally got my Pre Plus, unlocked it from ATT and am using it on TMobile.

I was never enticed by the iPhone - it did less than my Treo did, and was overpriced. Addtionally, I wasnt happy with the "Apple" closed technology culture - it has monopolistic tendencies that impede competition and discourage the development of a fair market.

Having said the above, I believe Apple, and Mr. Jobs has taken sincere notice of the HP buyout of PALM for one reason, or, should I say over 1500 reasons: IP. PALM's IP. (PS, if you are wondering why Apple didn tbuy PALM for its IP, the FTC would NEVER have approved it - that would have created an entity that would have legal monopolistic control over the entire mobile device market)

Palm has the most extensive IP for mobile devices out there.. they started long before anyone else - if there is one company that Apple and Jobs wasn't going to get anywhere pushing around thier IP control with, it was PALM, if they had the money to fight it - with HP, they will, and will, and will likely push the limits with new devices, as well.

Apple does one thing well - actually, 2 related things, extremely well: they are great at designing cool looking things (whatever they design is always leading edge, aesthetically), and market them very well, and they now have the financial resources to continue to do both at the same proficiency as in the past.

So, should Apple fear HP/Palm? No more than any other well financed, IP heavy competitor in thier markets.

You can take that any way you wish - only Steve Jobs knows for sure.

IMO, of course!

Last edited by LCGuy; 06/23/2010 at 10:57 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

BTW.. I am done debating with you Finngrl. We can agree to disagree. It seems like you keep posting on threads i am contributing to... you chime in and start a **** throwing contest.
    Let it go. We are opposites. Stop degrading topics with minor quibbles in hopes to discredit or "WIN" Make your opinions... i will make mine. Lets spare everyone else the drama and stop directly quoting each other. Any Peace keepers agree?
    You can't just throw out misinformation and not get the consequences by a cop out like this above. Either stop posting, or accept that people will respond, esp when you are wrong.

And you are *wrong.* You quoted me incorrectly, and then based a scathing post around it, and no, I am not going to let you off the hook, esp based on your condescending request above.

"you you went way out on a limb and said that maybe... at some point.... someone may make a tablet that will compete with the mighty IPAD. But you made it clear that HP will not. The last impression i got from your contributions was that HP\WEBOS should not compete in the APPLE consumer market."

Your "last impression?" Really?

Read *what I wrote* and not your "impressions." I am a long time tech user - not a techy - and have been around enough to know that everything gets surpassed. Nothing is the "best" for ever, and that forces better product.

And I fully expect iPad to be bested, as I stated. I welcome that. (I personally won't be buying an iPad until it has MT, and if another brand comes out, probably would need to be with android's app store or another full app store, with the same or better price point first, I'll get that.)

Urkel said:

"BTW. I can appreciate your faith in HP and I mean no offense by saying this, but let's be honest here. You're slamming an actual product that delivered on it's promises, yet praising the accomplishments of a non-existent product made by a company that has yet to even offer a roadmap on what they plan to do. It's hard to take that perspective seriously because it's not grounded in reality."

I concur entirely. And in fact, before you went on your spittle-ridden rampage, this is basically exactly what I was objecting to.

Words have consequences, and if you don't want the consequences, don't use the words.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its a silly article filled with unrealistic assumptions. HP does not have a history of buying companies and enhancing them. Look what happened to Compaq. With the exception of HP-UX, HP mostly sells hardware with Intel CPUs running Windows. For mobile devices they won't be able to compete with RIM in the enterprise space or Apple in the consumer space.
    I think that you are only half right. I agree that it is unrealistic to imagine anyone at this point competing with Apple in the consumer space, but I do see a potential smartphone market in the corporate arena for WebOS under HP.

First I feel that a lot of the current Blackberry users are starting to get very jaded with the current RIM offerings. Here at my company our user base is clamoring for us to allow the iPhone into the infastructure. We are pushing back mostly due to several security concerns that the iPhone presents. But this indicates the larger issue that RIM has. They have a product line that feels dated and lacks a robust app catalog to fill in those niche needs some users have. They want to ditch the Blackberry, but there is not really another platform that makes sense to migrate to. The iPhone is not a viable option, as many companies (like mine) who are under serious regulatory scrutiny cannot allow any platform into our environment that we do not directly control, and the closed system of the iPhone makes this impossible. It may be an option for some businesses, but not here. So I think that if a viable contender were to arrive, then many end users would flee the Blackberry in droves.

Enter the Palm/HP juggernaut. Palm has a seasoned past in the corporate space, as before RIM, everyone here was carrying Palm PDA's. HP is also has a huge presence in most corporate settings: huge networked printers, blade servers in the data center, desktops and laptops on workspaces, etc. Now imagine if HP makes true on their vision of a broad platform of products with WebOS at the core. Networked printers with the capability of web access to do document management right at the source, smartphones that could print, scan, or fax right to the same WebOS enabled printer. Full access to your network resources right in the Palm of your hand (pun intended). Tablets that integrate seamlessly with both the phone and desktop world with full access to both the corporate network and the cloud. IT professionals able to manage entire server farms with a smartphone using HP management tools. Business users who would have access to a smartphone that gives them the same mail and calendar ease of use as a Blackberry, but also access to a robust app catalog (not as robust as Apple...sorry) for niche apps to help them be more productive.

Granted, this is a pipe dream...but HP has dropped enough hints regarding a variety of products intended to get WebOSified that this is not too far fetched. HP is a dominant player in the business world, and if I were a betting man, I would say that this is where they will likely set their sights. RIM is a fairly easy target right now, and the market is dying for an alternative.
    I still have a Windows Tablet from 2005. It has a keyboard and supports pen input. It came with Windows XP Tablet Edition and an HP logo on the lid.

I ended up just using it as a small laptop and replaced it with a netbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr3yGhOsT View Post
    Granted, this is a pipe dream...but HP has dropped enough hints regarding a variety of products intended to get WebOSified that this is not too far fetched. HP is a dominant player in the business world, and if I were a betting man, I would say that this is where they will likely set their sights. RIM is a fairly easy target right now, and the market is dying for an alternative.

you say this is a pipe dream, but you are spot on. With HP's enterprise experience and network, and Palm's strong biz end user reputation, this would be a natural.

I will be extremely surprised if this is not the route they go. Which doesn't leave the consumer segment totally out, because of course, business users ARE also consumers in their day-to-day life--but it does lead them away from the emphasis on entertainment (video, gaming, flash, music, etc).

As I have said elsewhere in this forum, I will never, ever understand why Palm, the absolute STARS at business productivity, tossed all that aside and targeted the still-new, entertainment based iPhone, instead of targeting the lagging RIM customer - who took their market away in the first place.

Inexplicable, to me.
    I would buy a webos tablet in a heartbeat, if I could at the very least bt a keyboard to it. I want to replace my netbook, as my pre loads pages nearly as fast
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast