Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 359
  1.    #321  

    Apple Tried To Buy Palm Before HP Won The Bidding War -- And RIM Completely Blew The Deal


    Read more: Apple Tried To Buy Palm Before HP Won The Bidding War -- And RIM Completely Blew The Deal
    The race to buy Palm earlier this year was fast and hot, with the company's bankers contacting 16 companies about the deal, including five serious potential suitors.

    HP won the bake-off, acquiring Palm for $1.2 billion in late April.

    But other companies involved in the talks included Silicon Valley's increasingly competitive rivals, Apple and Google, as well as BlackBerry maker Research In Motion, we have learned from a source familiar with the negotiations.

    According to our discussions with this person:

    * Apple was mostly interested in Palm's huge library of intellectual property and patents (450+ patents on file, another 400+ applications on file). And unlike some other bidders, Apple even seemed committed to funding Palm's operations, perhaps to challenge RIM's dominance in the keyboarded segment of the smartphone industry, our source says. (There's a bunch of problems with this idea, such as the idea of Apple supporting two rival app platforms, but that's what this person says.) Ultimately, Apple didn't bid high enough, while HP offered an amount the board couldn't say no to. (Recall that Steve Jobs tried to buy Palm years ago in its first life, too, when it was owned by 3Com.)


    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...oogle-hp-palm-
  2.    #322  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    . I actually suspect that HP is going to go all-touchscreen in the foreseeable future; they have gorgeous touchscreen desktops already, and wouldn't you admit that the idea of switching on your PC and having webOS pop up INSTANTLY so you can check some websites or do miscellaneous webOSy stuff while Windows boots up in the background and then just switching over whenever you need it (and not whenever you don't) sounds quite appealing?

    Just how many flies could HP swat with one fell swoop?
    1) Boosting webOS user numbers by including webOS on pretty much everything that HP sells
    2) Differentiating HP products from competitors with an in-house OS that's the first thing you see when switching on your computer while enabling you to go to Windows (and back) from there
    3) Introducing synergistic mindshare and marketing effects - webOS is going to become a household name rather quickly if every HP device sold comes with it. An announcement like that is also going to be momentous enough to warrant media coverage; that is, technology papers and/or blogs are going to be all over it, and normal papers might even dedicate a quarter or an eighth of a page to take note of it.

    Of course there won't ever be months worth of in-depth coverage of webOS rumors and baseless speculation published in the mainstream media, as witnessed in the time between October 2009 and the iPad launch, but I think since Apple is a rather self-aggrandizing, pretentious company taking great pride in its 'innovative' 'creativity', their wavelength simply harmonizes with that of artists, designers, writers, journalists and other types of intellectuals that can be characterized as being rather self-aggrandizing, pretentious groups taking great pride in their 'innovative' 'creativity', and these people end up having a pretty good chance buying a product from a company that they identify with on a very visceral level. "Think Different" indeed.

    If you're a Mac, it's natural that you should want to stay in your ecosystem and get an, err, MacPhone. If you're a PC, and your PC has that awesome webOS that's instantly on and you actually don't switch into Windows all that often anymore, you're gonna want that awesome webOS on your phone as well. Especially if all your webOS devices are synching with the in-house webOS cloud that HP is busy buying together (first the music streaming service, now that picture sharing one).
    Create a ppt presentation on HP's surely forthcoming editing suite on your home webOS PC, save it, don't do squat, go to work, pull out your Palm phone, and it's right there. Open your music app and there's your entire music library as it is on your harddrive at home, and you have direct access even if your PC is actually off. Shoot pictures with your phone, go home, switch on your PC, tap the "photos" app in webOS while the little loading circle in the corner indicates Windows is booting, and start looking at / editing them right away.

    The future is so bright in webOS land, and the present so dark, that, effectively, I wear my sunglasses at night so I can, so I can see the light that's right before my eyes

    I fully expect other PC manufacturers to attempt something similar with Android, and Apple is probably going to do the very same thing too, after a while, BUT: HP's webOS products are vertically integrated where Android products are not while Apple won't be able to reach the same synergy for their sheer lack of numbers in the desktop space. And it's going to be much easier for HP to catch up in a mobile market that's only now appreciably expanding than for Apple to expand their market share in a saturated segment.
    Great post.... worth sharing
  3. #323  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    SoFly;

    Well, looks like you might have to admit you are wrong, if this article (reportedly based on SEC filings - I havent verified it yet) has any truth to it.

    Remember, its all about common sense and pragmatic thinking, and NOT fanaticism or loyalty. Facts are facts, no matter how much you choose to ignore them.

    Why? Because some reporter said so based upon rumors and speculation? Like reporters or bloggers never fudge the truth to get you to click on an article.

    But, as I have already said...What are these valuable patents that Palm owns? If those patents are so valuable, why didn't Palm use the valuable patents to make the Pre a better phone? How can these patents make the iPhone even more better than it already is today? Valuable patents don't cause a company to get sold or face bankruptcy like what happened to Palm when they got sold to HP.

    Remember, Apple is the world's largest tech company and have the best smart phone platform. They accomplished all that without owning the so-called valuable Palm patents.

    So, instead of pointing out sensational journalism, care to answer the questions in bold?
  4. #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    ... Valuable patents don't cause a company to get sold or face bankruptcy like what happened to Palm when they got sold to HP.
    Palm never "faced bankruptcy" (you're kind of making things up as you go here), and yes, actually patents do cause company's to get sold (which means they were bought). Company A buys company B because they see something of value in company B.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Remember, Apple is the world's largest tech company and have the best smart phone platform. They accomplished all that without owning the so-called valuable Palm patents.
    This kind of goes along with your failed logic above (you know, that companies don't get bought out because of patents).

    Ever hear of FingerWorks? No? I can understand, they weren't very well known, even when they were in business and successful with their niche products. A couple of college guys started in 1998, and began producing a series of multi-touch keyboards and touchpads. Unlike existing touchpads, these recognized multiple touch spots, and even keyboards that had no moving parts, but were operated completely by touch. You can see some of their stuff on FingerWorks. Their website is still up, but they're no longer in business. They got bought out by a much bigger company in 2005.

    If I were to say Apple "stole" some of their ideas and patents so iPhans can use the technology in some of Apple's current lineup, it would be a bit of a mis-statement.

    Apple didn't steal from them, they bought them out in 2005 for their patents. Who'd thunk it?
  5. #325  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Palm never "faced bankruptcy" (you're kind of making things up as you go here), and yes, actually patents do cause company's to get sold (which means they were bought). Company A buys company B because they see something of value in company B.


    This kind of goes along with your failed logic above (you know, that companies don't get bought out because of patents).

    Ever hear of FingerWorks? No? I can understand, they weren't very well known, even when they were in business and successful with their niche products. A couple of college guys started in 1998, and began producing a series of multi-touch keyboards and touchpads. Unlike existing touchpads, these recognized multiple touch spots, and even keyboards that had no moving parts, but were operated completely by touch. You can see some of their stuff on FingerWorks. Their website is still up, but they're no longer in business. They got bought out by a much bigger company in 2005.

    If I were to say Apple "stole" some of their ideas and patents so iPhans can use the technology in some of Apple's current lineup, it would be a bit of a mis-statement.

    Apple didn't steal from them, they bought them out in 2005 for their patents. Who'd thunk it?
    Palm never "faced bankruptcy" (you're kind of making things up as you go here)
    If no one would have bought them, they most likely would have run out of money to operate and when that happens, most likely they would have went into bankruptcy. Done talking about that subject.

    Furthermore, I never said that companies don't get bought out for their patents. I was SPECIFICALLY talking about Palm and Apple. NOT any random company.

    As far as Fingerworks, Apple bought the company and used the technology in their own products. We see the technology from Fingerworks in the iPhone, iPod touch, and the MacBook trackpads.

    What I asked was this...What are these valuable patents that Palm owns? If those patents are so valuable, why didn't Palm use the valuable patents to make the Pre a better phone? How can these patents make the iPhone even more better than it already is today?

    You didn't answer any of those questions. If you can't or don't want to answer the questions in bold then don't respond to the post.
  6. #326  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    If no one would have bought them, they most likely would have run out of money to operate and when that happens, most likely they would have went into bankruptcy. Done talking about that subject.
    You may be, but I'm not (and no, you don't get the "final word" just because you choose to).

    So, based on your two "most likely" scenarios on what would have happened had they not been bought out, then they "would have went into bankruptcy". OK. Interesting definition...


    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Furthermore, I never said that companies don't get bought out for their patents. I was SPECIFICALLY talking about Palm and Apple. NOT any random company.

    ...

    What I asked was this...What are these valuable patents that Palm owns? If those patents are so valuable, why didn't Palm use the valuable patents to make the Pre a better phone? How can these patents make the iPhone even more better than it already is today?

    You didn't answer any of those questions. If you can't or don't want to answer the questions in bold then don't respond to the post.
    Hmmm, I'm not sure exactly which patents Palm has that would have interested Apple, but one comes to mind.

    Palm owns the patent on Smartphones. Yep, I'd guess Apple would be interested in that one.

    What your proposing though, is a complete exercise in futility. You're asking others to name which patents Palm has that might have made Apple want to buy them.

    What's the point? So you can say "No, Apple wasn't interested in that one".

    We don't know what Apple was interested in. Neither do you.

    However, one thing is indisputable by any except the most hard core "Palm has nothing of value" folks, and this this. Palm had (past tense, it belongs to HP now) an extensive portfolio of patents. Anyone that says that the company that introduced smartphones to the market would have none of value isn't facing reality.

    As far as the "then don't respond to the post" nonsense - it's an open forum. When you start your own, you get to make the rules. Until then, I'll politely (this time) pass on accepting your orders.
  7. #327  
    We don't know what Apple was interested in. Neither do you.
    I never said I did. But, when someone says...

    SoFly;

    Well, looks like you might have to admit you are wrong, if this article (reportedly based on SEC filings - I havent verified it yet) has any truth to it.

    Remember, its all about common sense and pragmatic thinking, and NOT fanaticism or loyalty. Facts are facts, no matter how much you choose to ignore them.
    That was directed at me, then I want to know why you think that. That's why I asked those questions. He said "Facts are facts". So, where are the facts?

    As far as the "then don't respond to the post" nonsense - it's an open forum. When you start your own, you get to make the rules. Until then, I'll politely (this time) pass on accepting your orders.
    I thought they were to answer a persons specific question(s) along with helpful info.

    An example that I am making up: If someone asks a question that is SPECIFIC to the Palm Pre Plus only, BUT you give an answer about the original Palm Pre, did that help the user? No. The same way I feel about how you responded to my questions.
  8. #328  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I thought they were to answer a persons specific question(s) along with helpful info.

    An example that I am making up: If someone asks a question that is SPECIFIC to the Palm Pre Plus only, BUT you give an answer about the original Palm Pre, did that help the user? No. The same way I feel about how you responded to my questions.
    Except that I'm responding to the thread, not just to your questions. Please note the topic of the thread. We're really not restricted to just that topic, but we most certainly are not restricted in any form to answering only your specific questions.

    In short, get over yourself. It's a great big world out here, and little of it revolves around you.
  9. #329  
    Yea. Says the man with over 5,500 posts. Do you feel all big and proud having the most posts on here?

    Or, is it possible for there to be someone else on here with more posts?
  10.    #330  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Yea. Says the man with over 5,500 posts. Do you feel all big and proud having the most posts on here?

    Or, is it possible for there to be someone else on here with more posts?
    Join date of 2003... thats 7 years.
    what point are you trying to make?
    Ohh , another personal stab. let it go.

    Dude... if you are going to have an opposing view on this site.... expect it to NOT be popular.
    If you want to contribute your opinions on why APPLE should not fear / be concerned with HP Palm.... would love to hear them.

    btw... whats your opinion on this?
    http://www.precentral.net/hp-set-exp...oss-enterprise
  11. #331  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Join date of 2003... thats 7 years.
    what point are you trying to make?
    Ohh , another personal stab. let it go.
    How is that any different from him saying that I should get over myself?

    In short, get over yourself. It's a great big world out here, and little of it revolves around you.
    Which you had nothing to say about. Double standard much?
  12. #332  
    Hey Clutch1222, here is another personal stab by hparsons...

    You've shown it really doesn't take much to post on here.
    Let's see if you will call him out on it, or ignore it. More importantly, will the moderators call him out on it?
  13. #333  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Yea. Says the man with over 5,500 posts. Do you feel all big and proud having the most posts on here?

    Or, is it possible for there to be someone else on here with more posts?
    Well, since you asked so nicely:
    Insertion 9,770
    berdinkerdickle 8,162
    Gaurav 8,120
    gtwo 7,178
    ronbo2000 6,896
    The Phone Diva 6,859
    clairegrrl 6,558
    KRamsauer 6,448
    Shadavis08 5,977
    jhoff80 5,966
    Malatesta 5,890
    dutchtrumpet 5,622
    hparsons 5,523

    To make the information more interesting, I put those that are newer than me in bold. As has been pointed out, I've been on here for over 7 years, that's a lot of time to build up a post count. Even with that, those in bold have been here a shorter period, but have more posts.

    To answer your first question (though part of it is factually incorrect, as I've already shown), no I don't feel "big and proud" about the number of posts. You've shown it really doesn't take much to post on here.

    So, I've been here a while. As a matter of fact, since before Apple was producing phones. Yep, that's right, I've been on this smartphone site longer than Apple's been making smartphones. That doesn't mean much (except maybe I saw the advantage before they did...) but it does explain part of the reason for the large number of posts. Just part of it. The other part is that I enjoy posting on here.

    Now, I answered both your questions, so I have a couple for you...

    What difference does any of that make, and what does it have to do with the topic at hand??
  14. #334  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Hey Clutch1222, here is another personal stab by hparsons...

    Let's see if you will call him out on it, or ignore it. More importantly, will the moderators call him out on it?
    Would it be more accurate to say it does take a lot to post on here? You really took that as some sort of stab??? Wow....
  15.    #335  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    How is that any different from him saying that I should get over myself?



    Which you had nothing to say about. Double standard much?
    '

    Well.. no not really.
    see , you are a special case. You personally attack most people you debate with.
    You seem to be oblivious of the site that you are posting on.

    I have made mistakes in the forums, and acknowledged them. I have apologized when necessary.
    You have been called out, proved wrong, personally attacked others... while defending apple on this site... and have yet to acknowledge any fault.
    You have many , many posts giving your opinion of Palm doom... and have been proven wrong many times.....
    You, def need to get over yourself.
  16.    #336  
    so fly... lets... let it go. get back on topic

    whats your opinion on this?
    http://www.precentral.net/hp-set-exp...oss-enterprise
  17. #337  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Would it be more accurate to say it does take a lot to post on here? You really took that as some sort of stab??? Wow....
    Not at all. BUT, when I called you dense on here about something you posted. The moderator said I wasn't following forum rules, or something like that.

    But, you can insult my intelligence by saying

    You've shown it really doesn't take much to post on here.
    And I'm sure the moderators will not say a word. The double standard. That's all I'm saying. Right moderator(s)?
  18. #338  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    '

    Well.. no not really.
    see , you are a special case. You personally attack most people you debate with.
    You seem to be oblivious of the site that you are posting on.

    I have made mistakes in the forums, and acknowledged them. I have apologized when necessary.
    You have been called out, proved wrong, personally attacked others... while defending apple on this site... and have yet to acknowledge any fault.
    You have many , many posts giving your opinion of Palm doom... and have been proven wrong many times.....
    You, def need to get over yourself.
    You have been called out, proved wrong, personally attacked others... while defending apple on this site... and have yet to acknowledge any fault.
    You have many , many posts giving your opinion of Palm doom... and have been proven wrong many times.....
    Proven wrong about what? That the iPhone and Palm Pre are not in the same category? I find it hard to believe that I have been proven wrong many times when most of my posts have web links to things that I post about. Whereas I see tons of opinions by others but, no facts to back them up.

    How many times have we heard the old "Microsoft bailed out Apple with the $150 million" when that's an outright lie from people on this forum? Is that what you mean by proven wrong?

    Again, if you are going to say something, at least be factual about it.
  19. #339  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Not at all. BUT, when I called you dense on here about something you posted. The moderator said I wasn't following forum rules, or something like that.

    But, you can insult my intelligence by saying



    And I'm sure the moderators will not say a word. The double standard. That's all I'm saying. Right moderator(s)?
    You inferred a negative - it actually doesn't take much for me to post on here either, or anyone else for that matter. One only has to register.

    However, actually calling someone dense - that's another matter. But, I really wasn't bothered by it. My grandkids have a hard time understanding some of the things I tell them too. That doesn't bother me either.

    However, I'll take a small side note that it's also against the rules here to publicly criticize the mods. They work for free dude. If you have a complaint about them, take it to them - privately.
  20. #340  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Proven wrong about what? That the iPhone and Palm Pre are not in the same category? I find it hard to believe that I have been proven wrong many times when most of my posts have web links to things that I post about. Whereas I see tons of opinions by others but, no facts to back them up.

    How many times have we heard the old "Microsoft bailed out Apple with the $150 million" when that's an outright lie from people on this forum? Is that what you mean by proven wrong?

    Again, if you are going to say something, at least be factual about it.
    I'm curious - how many times have we seen that on here? Do you have a link, or two?

Posting Permissions