Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 359
  1. #301  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    well... At least we now now where the bitterness comes from.
    investing in the stock market is risky...and should only be left to professionals.
    I also invested in palm stock... $5k when an analyst claimed it was worth $0 a share. It dropped and I picked it up @$ 3.60. Sold it @ $5.25... Then picked it back up @ $4.25. Sold it again @ $5.80.
    I am not a profesional stock trader... But I know a good deal when I see one. I made a nice profit off of palm... So what was your point again?
    Thanks for the laugh.
  2.    #302  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Thanks for the laugh.
    your welcome! the point is... leave it to the pro's if your going to complain about losing cash in stock market... or hold a grudge against a company because you took a risk and lost. I took the same risk, but made a nice profit.
    Dumping 10K in Palm at pre release was a huge risk.
    I am not a pro at investing.... but it seems like i did better than others posting on this thread. I made a profit off of palm stock... call me lucky i guess ;-)

    If i invested 10k in apple last week, and the stock plummets over CR reporting bad news, I would not blame Apple for my bad investment, nor would i call them unsuccessful because of it.
    Im active trader... with my own $$$. You have to have a strong stomach to play in that game.
    He invested 10k on news and hype" pre "- launch. he lost $$$.
    I bought the phone.
    I invested $5k when an analyst said it was worth $0 a share. I It took balls, and a good understanding of a products capabilities... to put my $5K into the stock. I made money.
    Can you see the difference in approach?
    You have no one else but yourself to blame when you lose money in the stock market. There are CD's , money market funds, and savings accounts you can park that money in... and still have it.
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/12/2010 at 11:37 PM.
  3. #303  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I did, I invested $10,000 in Palm right before the Pre was announced. That went well.
    So, you were an owner, and you didn't steer them properly??? Shame you then. You had your chance, you didn't succeed in making it lucrative or exactly what you wanted it to be. Does that qualify as a failure on your part?
  4. #304  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Really? What do you base that one? Please note you used the term "any possibility".

    It may seem "obvious" to you, but I suspect that's because you want it to be obvious.

    My suspicion is that if EP had not been offered something that was a profit, they would have continued investing, because that's what they do as a company.
    Don't count on it, EP isn't in a position to invest anymore right now (link). Looks like the Palm sale left them in a bad way. Now why would they sell Palm knowing their money was getting tight and the amount HP was offering wasn't going to set them right corporately? Are you really still clinging to the forlorn hope that all Palm needed was a little more of that east EP cash? Clearly EP sees it differently than you.
  5.    #305  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Don't count on it, EP isn't in a position to invest anymore right now (link). Looks like the Palm sale left them in a bad way. Now why would they sell Palm knowing their money was getting tight and the amount HP was offering wasn't going to set them right corporately? Are you really still clinging to the forlorn hope that all Palm needed was a little more of that east EP cash? Clearly EP sees it differently than you.
    Ep took a huge risk on Palm. They got their money back in the end. Was it a profitable investment... not really. Does anyone who is a true tech enthusiast, a smart phone techie, webOS fan etc... owe EP many thanks? imho , YES.
    With out that life line... we would have two competitive choices for future mobile OS... Ios and Android.
    We all owe EP gratitude and thanks. Their belief in webOS and palm... has given us consumer another choice, the best current mobile os available.
    just sayin.......
  6. #306  
    One, you forgot about WP7. Two, I corrected your last statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    With out that life line... we would have two competitive choices for future mobile OS... Ios and Android.
    We all owe EP gratitude and thanks. Their belief in webOS and palm... has given us consumer another choice, in my opinion, the best current mobile os available.
    just sayin.......
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  7. #307  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    One, you forgot about WP7. Two, I corrected your last statement.
    I am not sure WP7 is a competitive choice but then neither is WebOS. OTOH My wife's work WM 6.5 device arrived last night and I can see why MS felt the need to kill WM (I was always a PalmOS guy myself).
  8.    #308  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    One, you forgot about WP7. Two, I corrected your last statement.
    what about it? LOL
    Wow.. your opening a can with editing my posts.... could get ugly if decided to follow. I will respectfully ask you to not do that again.

    webOS is the best mobile OS available on the market. MY opinion, and the majority of others in these forums agree.
    im heading over to donate some $$$ to the genius's over at webos internals.
  9. #309  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Don't count on it, EP isn't in a position to invest anymore right now (link). Looks like the Palm sale left them in a bad way. Now why would they sell Palm knowing their money was getting tight and the amount HP was offering wasn't going to set them right corporately? Are you really still clinging to the forlorn hope that all Palm needed was a little more of that east EP cash? Clearly EP sees it differently than you.
    Did you read your own link? It was Palm that "left them in a bad way", it was their other investments (if they are indeed "in a bad way"). They currently have 200 million to invest, so your position is that they would have let a company that was worth over 1B die before they risked any more of that $200 million? Your "insight" conflicts directly with what the owner of EP had stated, but I'm sure you know more than they.

    However, to answer your question, no I am not "clinging to the forlorn hope that all Palm needed was a little more that east EP cash" Your attempt to play "what if" games with fancy language is tripping you up here. There is no hope at all about EP concerning Palm, since they no longer own any part of the company.

    Here are the facts. Palm said they had plans in place to raise more capital if they had to. They also had no less than 5 suitors when they sold. They sold out to HP at a profit for the original investors (even your link states that). Speculation about what may have happened if they had not been bought is simply that, speculation.

    The nonsense about failure and disaster for Palm is simply wishful thinking for those that want to desperately to see them fail.
  10. #310  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    One, you forgot about WP7. Two, I corrected your last statement.
    Poor clutch, you haters won't let him win. If he says IMO, he's chastised by one of you. If he doesn't, he's chastised by another.
  11.    #311  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Poor clutch, you haters won't let him win. If he says IMO, he's chastised by one of you. If he doesn't, he's chastised by another.
    lol! Not trying to win...even though it may seem that way.
    he felt the need to clarify webOS is best is MY opinion....when the majority of those on this site share the same opinion.
    damned if I do....damned if I don't.
    do I care...no ;-)
  12. #312  
    Get over yourself. Just making sure that statement is noted as opinion since you state it as fact. I would sure hope the majority of people on a palm board would think webOS is the better OS. duh. It is interesting to see quite a few longtime posters and palm owners thoroughly enjoying their current Android phone.

    Go donate more to the internal group. I say more because I'm sure you've been making use of their mad skills for awhile and have already donated once.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    what about it? LOL
    Wow.. your opening a can with editing my posts.... could get ugly if decided to follow. I will respectfully ask you to not do that again.

    webOS is the best mobile OS available on the market. MY opinion, and the majority of others in these forums agree.
    im heading over to donate some $$$ to the genius's over at webos internals.
  13. #313  
    People damn him if he says IMO? Guess I've missed most of his prehugging posts. Why would people do that? If it's just to hate on his one sided posts, that's a bit dumb. Though if it's opinion based off of very little personal experience, that would be different. Like the people that get 5 minutes of Android play time and are instantly experts on its suckage :-)
  14.    #314  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Get over yourself. Just making sure that statement is noted as opinion since you state it as fact. I would sure hope the majority of people on a palm board would think webOS is the better OS. duh. It is interesting to see quite a few longtime posters and palm owners thoroughly enjoying their current Android phone.

    Go donate more to the internal group. I say more because I'm sure you've been making use of their mad skills for awhile and have already donated once.
    doh! It's obviously my opinion... But as somenoe has already made clear.... I was criticized for using imo ...then you criticize me for not. Get overyourself.

    you're assuming I have only donated once. I think many of us have benifited from there mad skills.
    man.. Your a piece of work... You even found a way to knock me encouraging donations to webosinternals....
  15. #315  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    People damn him if he says IMO? Guess I've missed most of his prehugging posts. Why would people do that? If it's just to hate on his one sided posts, that's a bit dumb. Though if it's opinion based off of very little personal experience, that would be different. Like the people that get 5 minutes of Android play time and are instantly experts on its suckage :-)
    Well, you may not have noticed it, but it was there. I'll go look it up if it's that important to you.

    Actually, I think if someone says "xyz phone is the best" or "xyz operating system is the best" or "xyz flavor of ice cream is the best" it's pretty much assumed (by most) that it's an opinion.

    I think the "get over yourself" advice can be applied multi-directionally in this particular case...

    In My Opinion, of course.
  16. #316  
    In my opinion, we should keep the conversation about the phones and not about each other.
  17.    #317  
    should apple fear/ concerned with HP Palm buy?

    http://m.precentral.net/apple-rim-go...urchasing-palm

    looks like apple was concerned enough to attempt to buy palm themselves! Palms patents.... Valuable to Apple.
    man... This just keeps getting better and better :-)
  18. #318  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    should apple fear/ concerned with HP Palm buy?

    http://m.precentral.net/apple-rim-go...urchasing-palm

    looks like apple was concerned enough to attempt to buy palm themselves! Palms patents.... Valuable to Apple.
    man... This just keeps getting better and better :-)
    I have to admit, I thought it was a little funny. I never thought Apple would have been one of the bidders. I did think RIM was, but not Apple.
  19. #319  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Quote from LCGuy deleted,SoFly reply as follows

    What VALUABLE IP does Palm own that Apple would be remotely interested in? I would like to see actual web links to where you got this info. I want to see actual patents that Palm owns that are not used in the iPhone and would supposedly make the iPhone better than it already is.

    The Palm Pre is like an gnat to the iPhone in market share, sales, eco-system, App store, consumer interest, etc. I could go on and on, but you get the point. So, why would Apple waste $1.5 billion on buying Palm to get their worthless IP? If the patents were really of any value, don't you think the Pre would be more successful than it is and actually use the patents in products today?

    Between the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad the iOS has a huge lead over any other mobile OS and no amount of those useless 1500 Palm patents can compete against that. If anything, the FTC would be laughing at Apple for being paranoid about a competitor that is not a competitor to Apple.
    SoFly;

    Well, looks like you might have to admit you are wrong, if this article (reportedly based on SEC filings - I havent verified it yet) has any truth to it.

    Remember, its all about common sense and pragmatic thinking, and NOT fanaticism or loyalty. Facts are facts, no matter how much you choose to ignore them.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  20.    #320  
    Apple, Google showed interest in Palm
    Steven Musil CNET
    July 15, 2010

    The bidding for Palm earlier this year apparently attracted interest from some prominent Silicon Valley companies, including some that were reportedly mostly interested in keeping the intellectual property out of the hands of their foes.

    Hewlett-Packard ultimately turned in the winning bid, agreeing in April to pay $1.2 billion for the PDA pioneer. However, before that was announced, five prominent Silicon Valley companies kicked the tires on the company, including Apple, Google, and Research in Motion, according to a Business Insider report that cites sources familiar with the negotiations.

    Interest in Palm's vast library of intellectual property and patents attracted the interest of two fierce rivals: Google and Apple. Apple bid on Palm for the patent portfolio, even though it would mean that the company would have had to support two competing app platforms. Apple reportedly lost out because it didn't bid enough.

    Subsequently, Google was interested in Palm because it thought Apple might want the intellectual property, Business Insider reported. However, Google reportedly did not pursue a bid because it believed Apple was not bidding.

    Perhaps most intriguing is that BlackBerry-maker RIM had the deal for Palm in its hands and "had to work incredibly hard to blow it," a source told Business Insider. RIM was reportedly the frontrunner, but HP came back with a higher bid...

    Many saw HP's decision to acquire Palm as a quick way for the PC and enterprise services company to get into the burgeoning mobile device market. However, HP has been quick to point out Palm's appealing IP portfolio and has talked mostly about its plans for WebOS, which so far include a tablet and Web-connected printers

Posting Permissions