Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 359
  1. #261  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's funny. No, you did not "point out where that is not necessarily true", you called it a load of crap. Moving argument again.

    The Mac example (which again, what was what he called by name, and you called crap) was indeed over 20 years ago. The iPhone example though, was not. So yes, the same thing still applies.

    If consumers like technology at home, especially if they are either executives or average employees in large numbers, and want to use it at work, that helps drive the industry at the corporate level.
    Are you really that literal?

    He was talking about HP going after consumers with WebOS NOT people using WebOS at home and wanting to use it at work.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 07/10/2010 at 12:08 PM.
  2. #262  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Disastrous results? The Pre turned a company around. That's not a disaster!
    That couldn't survive on their own and got sold for pennies to HP.
  3. #263  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    That couldn't survive on their own and got sold for pennies to HP.
    Actually, they got sold for 1.2 billion dollars, and at a profit to the original investors. Of course, your statement that it was "pennies" was technically correct, but it was roughly 120,000,000,000 pennies.

    Actually, Palm has been sold to other companies in the past, and kept right on churing out devices, so being bought by another company is hardly a "disaster". Going out of business completely two years ago, now that would have been a disaster.

    I suppose they could have flashed back to '97, hoped for a cash infusion from their fiercest competitor to save them from failure, then they could have claimed "success"... Ya reckon?
  4. #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Are you really that literal and dense?

    He was talking about HP going after consumers with WebOS NOT people using WebOS at home and wanting to use it at work.
    Actually, I don't think that's what he was talking about at all. I think people using WebOS at home and wanting to use it at work was exactly what he was talking about.

    Why don't we let him clear it up for us, and then see exactly who is "dense".
  5.    #265  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    You totally ignored what I asked you in my post from 11:30 AM. Are you afraid to answer?
    here goes sofly again... getting overly personal and calling people names... why do i feel we have been here before.
    I didnt see your post. This is not the only thread i am on... and not the only thing i do ALL DAY LONG. i manage to break away from this forum... and get things done.
    You do understand that asking these personal questions gets us off the main topic and into a ****ing contest. For me to have to entertain my credentials with every person in a forum who requests that i do so... is absurd.
    As for your question. I am not afraid to answer it. But your demanding of me to do so... is out of line.
    I have been in IT since I graduated in 1997 with an AAS degree in CIT.
    I have been supporting IT in one form or another for over 13yrs. I was a field engineer for over 8 yrs with extensive travel all over the U.S., Cananda and as far as Puerto Rico. So its seems we have something n common... yrs of experience in IT.
    If you argument is enterprise...I support IT in a 300K employee company - global. I have years of experience with overseeing and partaking in huge equipment refresh's.. from main servers down to individual servers at onsite locations... pc's , printers etc. I have seen choices made on what type of equipment will be supported by the "business" many, many times. There are always huge comprises. and on a large scale, you tend to end up with equipment that gets the job done.. no extra bells and whistle. I do not spout off technical talk as to impress people in these forums. There people way more qualified than i... so i stick to what i like to do... and it always ends up in a ****ing contest ( i can tell you enjoy those). I am on this site to support webOS with reasons and examples of why i think it will succeed . If all you want to do is pick at my personal experience to discredit me... your already at a point of weakness. I understand experience is important... and I have years of it.
    $1200 for a workhorse PC? that would be at the high end. far a power user... this would be more than enough @ $789
    Dell Precision T3500 Tower Workstation Desktop Computer | Dell

    Do you want to provide us with a mac with the equivelent specs and a price point? please do.

    90 % of our 300k users are working on thin client dell optiplex 760's... its a huge corporation. We just finished spending 100 million dollars in dec 2009 on just the purchase of equipment... for just the USA portion of our company.So , how many users in your company? how much IT $$$ are being spent on your IT infrastructure?
  6.    #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    You totally ignored what I asked you in my post from 11:30 AM. Are you afraid to answer?
    I was shaking in my mickey mouse slippers... while sucking my thumb and typing with only my right hand....

    "You ignore me... so im ignoring you..waaaah."

    I answered you... now , answer the post that you ignored to tell me that i ignored you. ? .
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoFly
    I didn't know HP had a WebOS tablet. I just checked their website and couldn't find this mythical product. So, it looks to me like you are, AGAIN, running off at the mouth and don't know what you're talking about.



    it may not be on their website... yet. But the are already advertising it. Are you questioning HP plans for releasing one? Look at the main topic of post. I am speculating... not running off at the mouth... genius.


    Does anyone question HP ability to advertise on a global scale ? Did you ever think Palm had the marketing $$$ to pull this off? Sex and the city was full of ad placements for apple.... that changed. HP has taken over the as the laptop of choice for the ladies. What i find more interesting.. is the commercial they came up with. It heavily focuses on multitasking... and has a few shots of a tablet flying around. Planting the seed for webOS? Looks that way to me.
    Take a lokk at this video... i think your going to like what HP is up to.

    'Sex and the City' dumps Apple | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

    "Sex and the City" Switches from Apple to HP

    BTW - I am picking my wife up at the airport( biz trip). Then we are heading off for a resort for a mini vacation... i will only be able to sneak away on the pre and check on this addiction ... intermitantly ;-)
    Dont get your feelings hurt SO Fly if i dont answer you right away...good luck staying on topic and not personally attacking people. Its hard.. trust me, i know.
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/10/2010 at 12:47 PM.
  7. #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, they got sold for 1.2 billion dollars, and at a profit to the original investors. Of course, your statement that it was "pennies" was technically correct, but it was roughly 120,000,000,000 pennies.

    Actually, Palm has been sold to other companies in the past, and kept right on churing out devices, so being bought by another company is hardly a "disaster". Going out of business completely two years ago, now that would have been a disaster.

    I suppose they could have flashed back to '97, hoped for a cash infusion from their fiercest competitor to save them from failure, then they could have claimed "success"... Ya reckon?
    You know as well as I do that $150 million that MS gave Apple was to settle a lawsuit Apple had against MS. Had nothing to do with keeping Apple in business when at the time Apple had way more than $150 million in the bank.

    If you search for the post on this forum where I talked about that, there is even weblinks disproving that myth.
  8. #268  
    Clutch1222, you make my head hurt. I'm done discussing things with you.
  9. #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    You know as well as I do that $150 million that MS gave Apple was to settle a lawsuit Apple had against MS. Had nothing to do with keeping Apple in business when at the time Apple had way more than $150 million in the bank.

    If you search for the post on this forum where I talked about that, there is even weblinks disproving that myth.
    I give that "myth" the same level of validity as your "sold for pennies", but thanks for playing (besides, who said anything about Apple?)
  10. #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Clutch1222, you make my head hurt. I'm done discussing things with you.
    Don't balme you, he faced you pretty good by answering your question.
  11. #271  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yes, that's a simplified explanation, but it is basically the scenario that was played out (I was there in the IT departments, and watched it happen). BTW, on a slight side note, I'll add that one of the smartest things Apple did in this arena was provide Macs to schools for free or next to free. In the short run, kids used them at school, and convinced parents to buy that as the home computer so they could use the same thing at home as they did in school. In the longer run, some of those kids grew up into decision-making execs, and wanted Macs in the workplace. But I digress.
    What is the epoch of your story. I guess it's been a few years since you worked in IT (~10 based on that quote) because the intermingling of Windows, Linux, Solaris, and Mac OS has been a piece of cake since 2000. Were you one of those classic IT dinosaurs that hated any form of change and viewed progress (in the form of updated hardware and OSes) as a threat to security, stability, and productivity? Thank goodness those dark ages of business productivity are behind us ... Or at least behind the 21st century companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    Disastrous results? The Pre turned a company around. That's not a disaster!
    That's very generous of you to say, but it's really a damning statement. Either the Pre team took a functioning company and ran it into the ground with a mediocre product/poor advertising/bad management practices or the Pre team took a company destined for failure and tried to scam the market into keeping them alive. You realize that the bulk of Palm's phone sales well into the fall of 2009 were PalmOS phones, right? Once those legacy phones stopped selling, Palm's numbers really started heading south. By any measure, what the Pre team did with Palm was anything but a turn-around.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    Actually, they got sold for 1.2 billion dollars, and at a profit to the original investors. Of course, your statement that it was "pennies" was technically correct, but it was roughly 120,000,000,000 pennies.
    Yes, Elevation Partners received a profit of $25 million or a 5% profit across two years. Using their experience as an example, I am earning a similar "profit" on my credit union savings account. Of course, I'm not running a venture capital company so I don't need to make a huge profit on my successes to cover all the inevitable failed venture capital investments. I'm pretty sure Elevation Partners isn't all too excited about their big win with Palm.
  12. #272  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I give that "myth" the same level of validity as your "sold for pennies", but thanks for playing (besides, who said anything about Apple?)
    Compared to the value of Palm's market value last year, yes it was sold for little money.

    Who else were you talking about?
  13. #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Don't balme you, he faced you pretty good by answering your question.
    It's hard to read his posts and he is just going on and on all over the map. And if you go back thru this thread you will see that other people have pointed out the same thing(s) about his posts.

    You talk intelligently, so I can respond to you. But, he doesn't.
  14. #274  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    What is the epoch of your story. I guess it's been a few years since you worked in IT (~10 based on that quote) because the intermingling of Windows, Linux, Solaris, and Mac OS has been a piece of cake since 2000. Were you one of those classic IT dinosaurs that hated any form of change and viewed progress (in the form of updated hardware and OSes) as a threat to security, stability, and productivity? Thank goodness those dark ages of business productivity are behind us ... Or at least behind the 21st century companies.
    Actually, I still work in the IT industry. The OP was referring to the original Mac, that is what I was relating back. Much the same scenario played out with the iPhone though. Changes in the corporate IT world were consumer driven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That's very generous of you to say, but it's really a damning statement. Either the Pre team took a functioning company and ran it into the ground with a mediocre product/poor advertising/bad management practices or the Pre team took a company destined for failure and tried to scam the market into keeping them alive. You realize that the bulk of Palm's phone sales well into the fall of 2009 were PalmOS phones, right? Once those legacy phones stopped selling, Palm's numbers really started heading south. By any measure, what the Pre team did with Palm was anything but a turn-around.
    Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. They thought they had an industry changing product. It didn't happen the way they wanted, but it was hardly a "disaster". There are varying levels of success. The investors made a very small profit, and the product is still selling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yes, Elevation Partners received a profit of $25 million or a 5% profit across two years. Using their experience as an example, I am earning a similar "profit" on my credit union savings account. Of course, I'm not running a venture capital company so I don't need to make a huge profit on my successes to cover all the inevitable failed venture capital investments. I'm pretty sure Elevation Partners isn't all too excited about their big win with Palm.
    Again, my claim wasn't that it was an overwhelming success, only that it was not a disaster.
  15.    #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Clutch1222, you make my head hurt. I'm done discussing things with you.
    Hilarious. You call me out for ignoring you... while i was packing for vacation... And then I ask you to:
    Give us a MAC with the same specs as the dell i listed
    Tell us large of a company your IT dept supports ( even though i dont care)
    You had your chance to comment on HP taking over apple Advertising.
    HP is that big ... and yes it that $$$$$ to make that happen. Palm never stood a chance.

    "I didn't know HP had a WebOS tablet. I just checked their website and couldn't find this mythical product. So, it looks to me like you are, AGAIN, running off at the mouth and don't know what you're talking about."

    HP commercial that shows a Tablet floating around... and is selling MULTITASKING. Did you care to comment. Of course not... or any of the others... no . Why, because i gave you a headache.


    Im i seeing a reoccurring situation happening here? Hater jumps in.. calling people names... spews off a couple of opinions... tries to personally discredit.... then takes the high road approach and tries to discredit again. weak.

    "I'm done discussing things with you." is that a promise? i sure hope so
    Im off to the airport....
  16.    #276  
    @ crogs.... thanis for your opinion. Here is a mods from 9:30pm last night

    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    There is some really good debate in this thread. Let's just remember to keep the discussion focused on the topic, and not on the people debating the topic.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 07/09/2010 at 09:38 PM.

    So fly wanted to make it about me and him... I tried to ignore but he continued to pester. Since i have nothing to hide... i complied.
    I will apologize about entertaining off topic discussions.
    There is some interesting topics being raised on here. If you choose to disagree... you can tune out.
    I thought the thread was dead a few days ago and posted so.. but people obviously were not done with the debate.
    Check out HP's video on the link i provided. The money they paid Sarah Jessica parker alone was probably more than the money spent on Palms marketing the pre at launch... not to mention the $$$ they spent on the ad itself. hi $$$ marketing... in preparation for webOS launch.
  17. #277  
    sorry. I guess a sense of humor left this thread pages and pages ago too. It was interesting for a few pages, but at this point you three seem to ne saying the same things over and over but with different twists. And it's all based on speculation. There is mo new hardware on any front. Heck, there isn't even a software update that many thought would be here. Personally I think Apple has nothing to fear which waste basic premise of this thread. The pie is big enough for everyone to have a piece and be profitable. If HP puts our a good product, everyone benefits from the increased competition. I'd rather sit back and wait to see their first product revealed before I get into deep philosophical discussion about the future of tablets and smartphones, corporate and consumer markets and so on. Would actually rather hve the discussion over a beer because it's so sterile and opinionated on here with a touch of venom that just makes it tough to swallow for five pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    @ crogs.... thanis for your opinion. Here is a mods from 9:30pm last night
  18.    #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    sorry. I guess a sense of humor left this thread pages and pages ago too. It was interesting for a few pages, but at this point you three seem to ne saying the same things over and over but with different twists. And it's all based on speculation. There is mo new hardware on any front. Heck, there isn't even a software update that many thought would be here. Personally I think Apple has nothing to fear which waste basic premise of this thread. The pie is big enough for everyone to have a piece and be profitable. If HP puts our a good product, everyone benefits from the increased competition. I'd rather sit back and wait to see their first product revealed before I get into deep philosophical discussion about the future of tablets and smartphones, corporate and consumer markets and so on. Would actually rather hve the discussion over a beer because it's so sterile and opinionated on here with a touch of venom that just makes it tough to swallow for five pages.
    I agree... A beer would be a great way to enhance this debate.
    the same opposing debate keeps surfacing... And I don't mind entertaining it.
    this thread was posted before the finalization of acquisition took place. What's interesting to me is peoples honest opinions on HP potential ... Now , before the big news starts rolling out. It's akso interesting to see Apple fans state reasons they feel HP Palm is too late in the game etc... And not even give them a chance.
    it's hard to keep humor in here when people jump in with condescending remarks/ insults.. Etc.
    The atmosphere on this blog was getting pretty grim for a while there...
    I read many posts with people just crapping all over palm, webos, and the supporters on this site. As you can see... They are still doing it.
    should apple fear HP... Probably not. Are they concerned... They would be very foolish not to be.
    I'm about to hit up happy hour at a resort... Beers are on me!
  19. #279  
    I've got a few bad things to say about Palm, but there is a lot of potential with webOS and HP. This would be a great thread to revisit in the 4th quarter I'm sure. The problem with the hard to keep the humor part is you have three (and then some) VERY OPINIONATED people trying to have a discussion in a faceless sterile environment We all know (due to our numerous infractions...haha) it never ends well.

    I got an early swim tomorrow so my ciders are getting drunk at home tonight while I watch the Phillies.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  20.    #280  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I've got a few bad things to say about Palm, but there is a lot of potential with webOS and HP. This would be a great thread to revisit in the 4th quarter I'm sure. The problem with the hard to keep the humor part is you have three (and then some) VERY OPINIONATED people trying to have a discussion in a faceless sterile environment We all know (due to our numerous infractions...haha) it never ends well.

    I got an early swim tomorrow so my ciders are getting drunk at home tonight while I watch the Phillies.
    well then... I think this calls for a yearly Las Vegas Precentral Forums Convention! We can all get together, have a few beers... debate the new webOS phones that will be released for years to come!

    Prost!

Posting Permissions