1.    #1  
    Hi all,

When Palm Pre/Plus & Pixie/Plus did not meet sales projections, the press was all over it. Let's see if the do the same, with the very highly anticipated Microsoft Kin, (with the new in 7).

Take care, Jay

Anatomy of a rumor: Just 500 Kin phones sold
    Mon Jun 21, 12:53 pm ET

Print Story: Anatomy of a rumor: Just 500 Kin phones sold - Yahoo! News

Itís the juiciest rumor of the day: With its new ďsocial-networking-focusedĒ Kin handset, Microsoft has sold only 500 units. Thatís it. Five hundred units of the two phones. In total.

But could that possibly be true? Between Microsoft and Kin carrier Verizon, these are two companies that have mammoth footprints in the tech industry. How could they have sold only 500 units?

Letís ponder how such a rumor got started.

The rumor probably began with a single notion: Have you ever actually seen a Kin in the wild? Aside from the review unit I have (cute and quaint, but not something that would work for me on a daily basis), I know Iíve never seen one. Never heard mention of one. Never been asked about it. When Iíve brought it up in conversation Iíve received only blank stares.

Surely our rumor-starter feels the same way: Heís never seen a Kin, so sales must be low. (As a side note, I remember when I saw my first Kindle in the wild ó finally convincing me that the product was really on the market and being purchased by somebody.)

The more damning piece of the puzzle is probably the Kin sales page on Amazon, where the Kin One has been marked down from $350 to a penny (with service plan), and where a first review has yet to be written. How is that possible?

To put that in perspective, the Droid Incredible has received 73 reviews on Amazon in about a month and a half. The most obscure book you can think of on Amazon typically has at least one review associated with it.

Then thereís a third piece to this rumor: Vendors like Microsoft and Verizon donít comment on sales. I put the question to my Verizon contacts and have received no response yet. I donít anticipate getting one. Itís "policy." Even though the rumor sounds downright crazy, if Verizon doesnít deny it, well, maybe itís true after all, right?

And thatís how a tech rumor gets going.

So pundits are now asking the question of their readers, because they have no other way to figure out whatís legit. And thatís exactly what Iím going to do, too: Do you have a Kin? Does anyone you know have a Kin? Have you ever seen one in use, even by a stranger? If we can get 500 ďyesĒ comments here, Microsoft is vindicated.

If Verizon gets back to me one way or another, Iíll update this post.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    That's awesome! I'm sure the number is higher, but maybe not by much. I still can't figure out who would want the phone. Kin Studio is cool but I would never pay smartphone price for a dumbphone...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TyBec View Post
    That's awesome! I'm sure the number is higher, but maybe not by much. I still can't figure out who would want the phone. Kin Studio is cool but I would never pay smartphone price for a dumbphone...
    Ditto!!!!!!!!

take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Agree. the studio thing is pretty inpovative but the phone is just not that great. Did not think this would sell.
    my fiance saw the phone and really like it. The only reason she didn't get it is the 30 data fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    my fiance saw the phone and really like it. The only reason she didn't get it is the 30 data fee.
    I think that this fact is the lends more credibility to the rumor than anything else.

It doesn't make sense to pay more for a Kin upfront, than a full fledged smartphone (like a pre+) and still have to pay smartphone data-plans. you don't even get a good browser! its ludicrous.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I think that this fact is the lends more credibility to the rumor than anything else.

It doesn't make sense to pay more for a Kin upfront, than a full fledged smartphone (like a pre+) and still have to pay smartphone data-plans. you don't even get a good browser! its ludicrous.
    Browser? There's a browser on that thing?
    The Kin reminds me of one of these:

Microsoft should just scrap the Kin phones. They should integrate the Kin's functionality into their new Windows Phone 7 operating system...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Microsoft should just scrap the Kin phones. They should integrate the Kin's functionality into their new Windows Phone 7 operating system...
    Hi, I didn't realize that the Kin was not a Win 7 phone! Thanks, Take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    They should integrate the Kin's functionality into the Hamburger phone. I'd be all over it! Just the way my kids would like it. Plain, with only cheese.
    [QUOTE=DrHeathenScum;2518475]The Kin reminds me of one of these:

[img]

lol that would be fraking awesome, I bet belt holsters would look like mcdonalds and burger king wrappers too lol
    They'd sell if they lose the $30 data requirement. And keep the prices under $75.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    They may as well be selling Ken dolls. Who thought up that name? Hard to believe this concept hit production and wasn't laughed at during the brainstorming session.

What's next? The Microsoft Barbie phone?

If you're a MS fan what probably frustrates you is knowing they got all the pieces laying around (zune, xbox, windows, office, search, maps, etc) but lack any vision to put something together.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Here's what I think: MS doesn't really care about how the Kin itself fares but more how MS Studio fares. They're more than likely going to integrate it with their Windows Phone 7 devices so if you're going to do that you need some beta testing right? Even if they really did only sell 500 of them that's 500 beta testers they now have. Just a thought.

- Phil -
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    The Facebook app for the Kin has 8,043 'active monthly users', and there looks to have been a more credible statement of "more than 1000, but less than 10,000.
    That's still a nightmarish launch. I wonder how much the marketing push cost.
    10+ years of PalmOS and WebOS devices, from Vx through several Clies (until Sony killed them), to Tungsten T5 and T|X, to Centro, to Pre Plus.