1.    #1  
    Just interested to hear what you iPhone owners think about iOS4 now that it's out - is it everything you hoped it would be?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I have an iPod Touch and was looking forward to iOS4. I have to say, I'm disappointed with how it turned out.

One of the benefits of Apple device is that (as the iPad ads say) "you already know how to use it." I find the approach to application switching and folders to not be at all obvious. I'm usually able to figure out stuff technically, but I was baffled as to how to create folders. And I was baffled as to how to kill an app once it was "running."

Dragging an app onto another app to create a folder is not, to my mind, obvious. Now that someone told me how to do it, I guess I can see the logic. And it's pretty nice that it defaults the folder name if the apps are the same category.

As for the the ability to have multiple apps at once, I find the implementation awful. It's way too easy to have dozens of apps "open" at the same time as there is no way to close an app FROM THE APP. I love the Pre's approach of shrinking to a card and then throwing away. On the iPhone, to close an app, I need to double-press the home button (I HATE double-pressing!), hold my finger down on one of the apps in the list, and then press the minus badge. Basically, Apple's design keeps every app you've ever run open. While non-multitasking apps won't take up processing (and battery), it's a mess to have all those apps appear in the "app area." Kind of defeats to point of having pages and folders.

Apple really goofed this one up, I think.

In other areas...

I like that they've added a portrait mode lock. Odd, however, that you can't lock in landscape.

I like the new music controls, despite to taking an extra swipe to get to them.

I was confused as to where iBook was... until I found that I had to download it. Why was it not just included in the update? Also, there's no way to add your own books, at least not PDF ones, unless you e-mail them to yourself. I tried putting a PDF in iTunes and it took it. But it didn't sync.

I haven't figure out yet how to create/edit playlists. I'm sure it's easy, but not something I've tried.

I don't use my Touch for e-mail, so the enhancements there aren't a big deal to me.

I like being able to have home screen wallpaper, although this is a minor thing. Took a bit to realize that I could have a DIFFERENT wallpaper for lock vs. home.

Other than that, there's not much for iPod (as opposed to iPhone) users. The big deal, multitasking, is the only thing (my issues with the UI notwithstanding) that's really made a difference. I like not having to quit an app to get to another. But the webOS implementation is so much better. I really really wish that Apple had gone with a similar approach.

I am happy that Apple decided to make this free to iPod Touch users.
  3.    #3  
    That's great feedback, thanks for responding. I didn't realise it was so difficult to fully close apps. I wonder whether iOS is coming to the point where it needs a true overhaul like BlackBerry needs.

Your point about "just knowing" how to do something is also very valid - though it's not for me I have always admired how my non-tech friends just seem to be able to use their Apple devices without any help from me.

I'd be interested to hear some other people's opinions too as I don't know anyone personally who's tried it.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I keep an old iPhone 3G tethered to my Pre so not much new for me in terms of features. But so far so good.

-iBooks keeps books in sync w/iPad
    -Folders are a godsend. 11pgs of apps is now 2
    -Keyboard support I think but haven't connected yet to try

(BTW. Tried update on 3GS and it is a more noticeable upgrade for them. Not sure how people are confused by new features. They're all pretty basic and definitely improve the device.)
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I upgraded my 8GB Touch last night. I have to agree that it was a COMPLETE waste of time. On the 8GB Touch you get no multitasking, which in my eyes was the only thing of any value. The ability to make folders is ok but nothing great. I wouldn't waste 4 hours upgrading again.

I also have an Ipad and do look forward to upgrading that this Fall. The more I use it the more it needs multitasking. Im afraid I will be disapointed when that happens as well because I think the way Apple is doing multitasking is not exactly efficient.

Come on Palm release a tablet will ya...
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Csquared View Post
    I wouldn't waste 4 hours upgrading again.
    I should mention, that for me (3rd Generation Touch), the upgrade was under 15 minutes. I already had the latest iTunes installed, so it was as easy as connecting my iPod, clicking the upgrade button, and waiting 10-15 minutes for it to finish.

I've read that there's more to it with the iPhone, however.

For those wondering what's available on different generations of iPod, see:

Apple - iPod touch - Get amazing new features with the iOS 4 software

Check out the footnotes.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Csquared View Post
    I wouldn't waste 4 hours upgrading again.

I also have an Ipad and do look forward to upgrading that this Fall.
    Upgrade time has been inconsistent. My wifes iPhone 3G and brothers 3GS took less than 45min, mine took 4hrs.

As for the iPad. I'm definitely itching for this because folders and MT are more needed on a tablet than a phone (IMO). And even though the MT isn't as good as Palms, I find it very easy to adapt to so I'm not worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    As for the the ability to have multiple apps at once, I find the implementation awful. It's way too easy to have dozens of apps "open" at the same time as there is no way to close an app FROM THE APP. I love the Pre's approach of shrinking to a card and then throwing away. On the iPhone, to close an app, I need to double-press the home button (I HATE double-pressing!), hold my finger down on one of the apps in the list, and then press the minus badge. Basically, Apple's design keeps every app you've ever run open. While non-multitasking apps won't take up processing (and battery), it's a mess to have all those apps appear in the "app area." Kind of defeats to point of having pages and folders.

Apple really goofed this one up, I think.

In other areas...

I like that they've added a portrait mode lock. Odd, however, that you can't lock in landscape.

I like the new music controls, despite to taking an extra swipe to get to them.

I was confused as to where iBook was... until I found that I had to download it. Why was it not just included in the update? Also, there's no way to add your own books, at least not PDF ones, unless you e-mail them to yourself. I tried putting a PDF in iTunes and it took it. But it didn't sync.

I haven't figure out yet how to create/edit playlists. I'm sure it's easy, but not something I've tried.

I don't use my Touch for e-mail, so the enhancements there aren't a big deal to me.

I like being able to have home screen wallpaper, although this is a minor thing. Took a bit to realize that I could have a DIFFERENT wallpaper for lock vs. home.

Other than that, there's not much for iPod (as opposed to iPhone) users. The big deal, multitasking, is the only thing (my issues with the UI notwithstanding) that's really made a difference. I like not having to quit an app to get to another. But the webOS implementation is so much better. I really really wish that Apple had gone with a similar approach.

I am happy that Apple decided to make this free to iPod Touch users.
    You don't need to shut down any apps. Stop thinking like you need to on a PRE (or an Android device) that performance will degrade. Not the case at all. You can completely go about using your iPhone just like you did before the upgrade if you wish.

The multitask bar is pretty good in that you can really operate you device without having to really move you finger off the bottom of the device. Its very good for 1-handed operation.

I would have preferred 1 single click (and hold) than the double click though. So far though I think its a real nice update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I keep an old iPhone 3G tethered to my Pre so not much new for me in terms of features. But so far so good.

-iBooks keeps books in sync w/iPad
    -Folders are a godsend. 11pgs of apps is now 2
    -Keyboard support I think but haven't connected yet to try

(BTW. Tried update on 3GS and it is a more noticeable upgrade for them. Not sure how people are confused by new features. They're all pretty basic and definitely improve the device.)
    I actually was able to get everything on 1 page now. Down from 7. Very happy with that.
    Apparently you can only put 12 apps in a folder. My friend has to have 2 game folders on his 3G
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You don't need to shut down any apps. Stop thinking like you need to on a PRE (or an Android device) that performance will degrade. Not the case at all. You can completely go about using your iPhone just like you did before the upgrade if you wish.

The multitask bar is pretty good in that you can really operate you device without having to really move you finger off the bottom of the device. Its very good for 1-handed operation.

I would have preferred 1 single click (and hold) than the double click though. So far though I think its a real nice update.
    My concern is that I now have a "dock" that contains all of my apps. Ones I run frequently and ones that I ran just once. It's not a good UI, IMHO, to have a side scrolling bar with dozens of apps in it.

That said, I guess I don't have to ever use it. I can simply continue to use the home screen pages. If an app is already running, it switches to it.
    I downloaded the update yesterday on my ipod and have to say I'm not too impressed. Multitasking was obviously the biggy and it is a much less user friendly experience than on the pre. You can tell that ios wasn't designed for multitasking. That said, I will admit that I don't have much use for multitasking on a non smartphone or tablet. A lot of the multitasking I do on the pre involved phone specific apps (phone, texting, gps, even email), I'm sure I would be more excited if I was an iphone user.

I'm excited to see if the do anything differently for how the ipad does multitasking, I think a cover flow design is brutally obvious with the larger screen, and would probably be the best mobile multitasking solution after webos.

Other than that the update was pretty meh. My ipod touch mainly serves as an ipod, and an app launcher. Improvement is always welcome though.
    Exactly, just because the phone is working exactly the same as before.

The double click is kinda "archaic" but I'm sure once the jailbreak gets Activator to work more stable we can eventually turn that double-click into gesture swipes. I'm surprised Apple didn't just use gestures instead.

Other than that I'm completely satisfied. I still want to jailbreak once its more stable and more apps have crossed over but its really a cleaner iOS now because of the folders, "kind of magical, lol!". I played with the folders for about 30 minutes alone for some odd reason. iBooks is also great! I read about 60 pages before sleeping (translates to probably 20 actual pages maybe) and I didn't have an eye strain or anything. I can't wait to see what reading is like on the iPhone 4's Retina Display.

Palm, Android, and others have a long way to go to get to where iOS is now in regards stability. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    My concern is that I now have a "dock" that contains all of my apps. Ones I run frequently and ones that I ran just once. It's not a good UI, IMHO, to have a side scrolling bar with dozens of apps in it.

That said, I guess I don't have to ever use it. I can simply continue to use the home screen pages. If an app is already running, it switches to it.
    Yeah, but the apps the you most recently used are in the front. I guess I am just not too concerned if other less recently used apps are also in the dock. You probably won't see them if you do not swipe to the right.

I guess for me it works as well as I thought it would. I can listen to Pandora and do other things in the background now. Is the Pre's method for multitasking better?...probably. I guess I just don't consider the way one device does multitasking compared to another that important.

For me, the best new features are in the email client. Universal inbox, multiple Exchange accounts, threaded email messages (my favorite), enhanced security features.
    installed it on my 32gb 3gs... i like it.

little touches that make it nicer. usually upgrades and adding features usually start to push performance and make usage slower than previous versions but have to say the phone really seems faster than the 3..x sw. you definitely notice if you reboot your phone it definitely boots faster.

i didnt really care about upcoming unified email like i didnt care about cut/paste but now that i have it, it is pretty nice to have a combined inbox as well as threaded emails. digital zoom on the camera is a nice addition to the camera.

and yes, it is nice that programs are updating everyday and able to run in the background. say what you want about the technical differences of multitasking but when available it works very well.

what can you say except they just keep refining the heck out of the os adding new features here and there and try to maintain a very high level of performance/standards... i have friends with droids and evo, etc and the iphone os just moves around to smooth and fast over them all.
    my coworker (big apple ******) actually said he didn't think the update was all that...