Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok.. What's up? I have had many iphans telling me that jailbreaking iphone is not illegal. I.E. When posting a comparison of webos vs ios... " what can webos do that a jailbroken iphone can't" mentioned....
    check out this link and tell me...is jailbreaking iphone illegal? Sure looks like it.

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/20...-be-legalized/
    edit : 7/26/2010

jail break is legalized!
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...e-fair-use.ars

big victory for smartphone users.... Especially iphone.
    big loss of control for SJ!!!
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/26/2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: link
    I don't know about illegal, but it is forbidden by Apple and they may choose to penalize you if you've jailbroken your device (and they have exercised this power in the past).

Remember the word 'homebrew' applies to any platform, OS or device - homebrew just means software created by us, the public

But your point does stand - Palm are very openly supportive of our homebrew community and they should be recognized and commended for that.
    Apple believes the process known as "Jailbreaking" violates the Prohibition on Circumvention of Copyright Protection Systems for Access Control Technologies, 73 Fed. Reg. 79,425 (Dec. 29, 2008) and 73 Fed. Reg. 58,073 (Oct. 6, 2008) as well as the DMCA.

As far as Apple is concerned they own the phone, you're just paying to borrow it from them... and you're only allowed to use it as they see fit. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Well Palm Pre don't need jailbreak I think so...
    the jury is still out on jailbreaking being illegal.

[url= Jailbreak Videos: A Legal Primer and a How-To | Threat Level | Wired.com[/url]

however it violates apples terms of use. So tell your friends that if apple had its way it would be a crime. Isn't that sad enough?

the term "jailbreak" is used because inorder to gain root access you have to circumvent code apple has embedded to prevent that. Gaining root access on a palm pre is incredibly easy and as such its logical to assume palm encourages it.
    You don't have to jailbreak a pre, you plug it in, download software from palm and press a button or 2.
    as far as I'm aware, webos is the easiest device to gain root access on.
  6.    #6  
    did you guys check the link? Sounds like it's illegal to me. Am I wrong?
    Ah, that link was added after I made my comment. It does seem that if the article is accurate then currently it's illegal to jailbreak your iPhone.
    the fact that apple has yet to prosecute anyone tells us they need this ruling from the copyright office to stand on. Is it violating existing dmca? They have yet to rule on that. I'd be shocked given their history if they rule it to be a violation.
  9.    #9  
    man you guys are quick! Sorry about the delay on adding the link... Mondays;-)
    sounds like it is illegal now...and that may be overturned if jailbreak is added as an exception. Apple app store copyrights...
    The fact noone has been prosecuted to date is telling.

Although imagine the black eye apple would take if they did do so... Wow! I bet they would get ATT to do it, on account of tethering apps...otherwise they would really get beat with the ugly OR stick.
    The fact noone has been prosecuted to date is telling.

Although imagine the black eye apple would take if they did do so... Wow! I bet they would get ATT to do it, on account of tethering apps...otherwise they would really get beat with the ugly PRPRPR $stick$.
    breaking out of jail is illegal. Jail breaking an iPhone is only illegal if steve jobs can send police to your house and confiscate your computers.

it might violate your warrant or TOS, but no laws are being broken.

now, can steve still send police to someone's house, or did they cancel that portion of the patriot act?
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post

now, can steve still send police to someone's house, or did they cancel that portion of the patriot act?
    Ask the editor from Endgadget...he knows first hand the answer to that question.
    If Apple finds that you jailbreak your iPhone/iPad/etc., they can deny warranty on your device. I am not sure if Palm would do the same. However, mind you, next month, when Palm becomes part of HP, let's see how HP feels about Homebrew...
    voiding your warranty isn't the same as going to prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Ask the editor from Endgadget...he knows first hand the answer to that question.
    Are you comparing buying stolen goods to modifying the software on your phone? Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Are you comparing buying stolen goods to modifying the software on your phone? Seriously?
    well, apples point of view is that modifying copyrighted software is stealing it... is it not?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    well, apples point of view is that modifying copyrighted software is stealing it... is it not?
    Yes and no. There's a large ring of illegal distribution of applications on jailbroken phones, that's primarily what Apple cares about. Not only are they losing money but the developers are as well.

Not to mention the abilities it gives users to do that's forbidden by the carriers (which makes Apple look bad and held responsible).
    What is the point of this thread? Illegal? Who cares? Palm is a company of hackers. Remember iTunes? Of course they are OK with it. They will take any user and any developer they can get. Palm would gladly hook up the Devil with a free Pre if he would advertise it in Hell.

As for jailbreaking, have any of you ever done it? I have. It takes one click and about 30 seconds. Done! You are proud of the Homebrew community? Good for you. The jailbreak community is bigger, badder, and better at what they do. They be some serious hackers up in there.

In iPhone world, jailbreaking is fast, easy, powerful, prevalent, and supremely unnecessary. The average iPhone user never even heard of jailbreaking, and wouldn't want to do it if they knew what it was. The out of the box iPhone experience is perfect for the intended audience. It is not, and never has been a technophile phone. Techies just insist on having one because it is simply best of breed.

So, again, what is the point of this thread? If you are trying to suggest that at least the Pre has a better hacker option, you lose again. Don't you dare go up into a jailbreak community with that smack. They will slap you down and leave you crying like a little girl! I'm telling you, jailbreak developers are some bad-***** mofos.
    I think you took a wrong turn somewhere on the internet, dude. Because you ended up in a Pre forum, not a wannabe hax0r iPhoney iPhorum.

What's the point of the thread? Well let's see, the OP asked a question and other posters have attempted to answer it. Seems pretty simple to me.

If you don't have something productive to add to the coversation, I invite you to kindly STFU and GTFO, please. Take yourself back to the culty of Jobs and pour yourself a large glass of Koolaid, kick back and relax. Or don't, I don't care, just take your blind devotion to a hunk of plastic and wires somewhere else. Thank you.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast