Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm sorry, I thought I was in the cross platform forum. Love the first half of your sig.

"Let's agree to respect each other's views... "

The OP started a thread to talk smack about iPhone jailbreaking. I responded in kind. Let me know which part of my comments you disagree with. Oh, and STFU. If you were offended by my post... Something about throwing stones and glass houses come to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I'm sorry, I thought I was in the cross platform forum. Love the first half of your sig.

"Let's agree to respect each other's views... "

The OP started a thread to talk smack about iPhone jailbreaking. I responded in kind. Let me know which part of my comments you disagree with. Oh, and STFU. If you were offended by my post... Something about throwing stones and glass houses come to mind.
    No. If you read the OP, you would see that he is asking a valid question. "Is iphone jailbreaking illegal?"

So...... STFU? Oh, and have a nice day.
    "ok.. What's up? I have had many iphans telling me that jailbreaking iphone is not illegal. I.E. When posting a comparison of webos vs ios... " what can webos do that a jailbroken iphone can't"

"iphans?" "comparison?" Innocent question? I don't think so. This is a person making snarky remarks about an entire community and making comparisons. You don't get to throw rocks at the big boys then complain that they smacked you down. Thanks for playing. Oh, and STFU! Thanks for teaching me that little acronym.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    My policy......I paid $500 for my iPad and I will do whatever the he11 I want to do with it. I jail broke it the day I got it
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Are you comparing buying stolen goods to modifying the software on your phone? Seriously?
    are you comparing buying found goods to buying stolen goods?
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  7.    #27  
    When you buy an iPhone, you could expect being able to do whatever you want with it. You may want to jailbreak it to install applications that are not allowed in the App Store. You may also want to unlock it so it is not restricted to only one carrier.

Well, legally you can’t do all this because of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which is a law intended to protect digital locks. This law was intended to protect copyrighted music, DVDs, and DRM entertainment products.

When congress passed this law, they were not thinking that it would also legally allow hardware manufacturers like Apple to have a total control over what you can and cannot do with your iPhone. The DMCA clearly wasn’t created to prevent you from jailbreaking your iPhone, but it “accidentally” did when Apple started to flag jailbreaking as a violation of this law.

A little over a year ago, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), a non-profit digital rights advocacy organization, asked regulators to add jailbreaking to a list of explicit exemptions to the DMCA’s anti-circumvention provisions. The US Copyright Office is now supposed to rule any day on whether jailbreaking should be exempted from the DMCA or not.

This is big news because if the exemption was to be approved, Apple would probably lose the huge grip it has on the App Store and what’s allowed or not in the Store.

Apple has always argued that it wanted a clean, safe, ****-free App Store. Bottom line is they want to control every aspect of the Store and that is just not right. It should be the users’ decision, not Apple’s. Only me can decide what’s best for me. Only me can decide if I want to take the risk of installing malicious software on my iPhone.

CONTROL....by Steve Jobs.
  8.    #28  
    "Well, legally you can’t do all this because of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which is a law intended to protect digital locks. This law was intended to protect copyrighted music, DVDs, and DRM entertainment products.

When congress passed this law, they were not thinking that it would also legally allow hardware manufacturers like Apple to have a total control over what you can and cannot do with your iPhone. The DMCA clearly wasn’t created to prevent you from jailbreaking your iPhone, but it “accidentally” did when Apple started to flag jailbreaking as a violation of this law.

A little over a year ago, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), a non-profit digital rights advocacy organization, asked regulators to add jailbreaking to a list of explicit exemptions to the DMCA’s anti-circumvention provisions. The US Copyright Office is now supposed to rule any day on whether jailbreaking should be exempted from the DMCA or not.

This is big news because if the exemption was to be approved, Apple would probably lose the huge grip it has on the App Store and what’s allowed or not in the Store."

This is big n ews.. because If the exemptyion is not to be approved....Apple will maintain its huge grip and will then start going after those Jail Breakers with a whole new level of intensity. If it does not get exemption... It remains ILLEGAL and Apple will have more ammo to dismantle.. of try harder.
    No one ever said Jail breakers sucked... where not great hackers etc. The level of sophistication they have reached is very impressive. But The main Difference when some asks" what can home brew do that Jailbreak cant"... is Home brew
    is not illegal. It will only void your warranty.
    Are you comparing buying stolen goods to modifying the software on your phone? Seriously?
    Notice I was simply making a joke in response to another joke. Calm down champ.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    What is the point of this thread? Illegal? Who cares? Palm is a company of hackers. Remember iTunes? Of course they are OK with it. They will take any user and any developer they can get. Palm would gladly hook up the Devil with a free Pre if he would advertise it in Hell.

As for jailbreaking, have any of you ever done it? I have. It takes one click and about 30 seconds. Done! You are proud of the Homebrew community? Good for you. The jailbreak community is bigger, badder, and better at what they do. They be some serious hackers up in there.

In iPhone world, jailbreaking is fast, easy, powerful, prevalent, and supremely unnecessary. The average iPhone user never even heard of jailbreaking, and wouldn't want to do it if they knew what it was. The out of the box iPhone experience is perfect for the intended audience. It is not, and never has been a technophile phone. Techies just insist on having one because it is simply best of breed.

So, again, what is the point of this thread? If you are trying to suggest that at least the Pre has a better hacker option, you lose again. Don't you dare go up into a jailbreak community with that smack. They will slap you down and leave you crying like a little girl! I'm telling you, jailbreak developers are some bad-***** mofos.
    Well... Let me point out the TITLE of the Thread. It is called "jailbreaking an iphone/ipad is illegal - Home brew is not illegal.
    When i read "what can homebrew do that Jailbreak can not?" I want to clarify that. Homebrew WEBOS allows me to customize my phone. Install patches, remove /add features, themes, etc... LEGALLY. I can revert my phone back to stock os with out a complete wipe if need be it works with and enhances webos. THAT is the difference.
    Did I discredit the JAILBREAK community... NO. very, verey impressive level of hack... sophisticated and genius... but ILLEGAL. so , that is the difference.
    Steve Jobs is a controlloing A-Hole
    Do you understand the point of this thread now? Let me know if i can make it any clearer for you.
    "When you buy an iPhone, you could expect being able to do whatever you want with it. You may want to jailbreak it to install applications that are not allowed in the App Store. You may also want to unlock it so it is not restricted to only one carrier.

Well, legally you can’t do all this because of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which is a law intended to protect digital locks. This law was intended to protect copyrighted music, DVDs, and DRM entertainment products.

This is big news because if the exemption was to be approved, Apple would probably lose the huge grip it has on the App Store and what’s allowed or not in the Store."
    and if does not get exemption????? they will have a whole lot of MR. Jobs foot... up their ****... sadly and unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    ...if the exemption was to be approved, Apple would probably lose the huge grip it has on the App Store and what’s allowed or not in the Store."
    So much posturing BS; so little time.

You have made this assertion three times as if more repetitions make it true. The DMCA has nothing to do with the App Store. It makes no difference if the exception is granted or not. As the law is currently written, (rightly or wrongly), jailbreaking IS illegal. Mr. Jobs has nothing to do with that. He could try and have the law enforced, yet Apple keeps on NOT doing it. Having the exemption denied just keeps things as they currently are.

If the exemption is granted, there is still no change. Jailbreakers will go right on jailbreaking. Users still won't notice, or care. As for the App Store... what was your point, again? Apple does not have to approve ANY app or allow any developer access to the App Store. No law in the world contests that fact. Apple does not have to change its warranty policy either. Replacing the processor in your Mac, Windows laptop, or Palm Pre is not illegal. But when you fry your machine, you will not be getting a warranty repair. People fry, or otherwise screw up their iPhone everyday with jailbroken apps. Apple will not now, nor will they ever have to fix those problems.

No store is forced to take products from every vender that comes along. There are a thousand people a day who take their home-brewed salsa to big chain grocers in an attempt to get them to carry their product. Every store in the world has an approval process, and they are the final arbiters of what they sell and don't sell. I'm sure you would love for the courts to force Apple to change the policies that have facilitated the best and most successful smartphone experience on the planet, but it just ain't gonna happen.

As for the legality of jailbreaking, I have already stated that it just doesn't matter. The people who don't jailbreak, don't want to, and the people who do don't give a fig about the law. No DMCA exemption will change that. Personally, I don't think much of the DMCA, so you will not get me to defend it. It is what it is.

Even so, the iPhone jailbreak community has still managed to provide a better "non-sanctioned" experience than homebrew. One click, thirty seconds, done. Removing the jailbreak is as easy as an iTunes restore, you don't even lose any data in the process as everything is backed up. So if you feel better by saying that it is technically illegal to jailbreak, more power to you. But somehow, that fact has not helped Palm, nor hurt the iPhone jailbreak community one iota.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    No. If you read the OP, you would see that he is asking a valid question. "Is iphone jailbreaking illegal?"

So...... STFU? Oh, and have a nice day.
    Based on the OP's verbiage then it seems that his question is based more on grinding an axe rather than looking for an answer. So how much does "intention" weigh in to the quality of a discussion.

But ignoring the OP and talking about the question itself, how much does Apple really care? From what we've seen then Apple doesn't approve directly, but, unlike Google Voice app rejections or iTunes updates made specifically to block WebOS sync, then what has Apple done to stop it?

I think the bigger question is one based on the ethics of going against the rules. To me, I see it like speeding. We all drive 65mph in 55mph zones but if you are keeping with the flow and not causing any disruptions then the cops arent going to pull you over. (Yes, I know they COULD pull you over, but in the iPhone world then if it hasnt happened yet then they dont see it as a problem).
    Yes and no. There's a large ring of illegal distribution of applications on jailbroken phones, that's primarily what Apple cares about. Not only are they losing money but the developers are as well.

Not to mention the abilities it gives users to do that's forbidden by the carriers (which makes Apple look bad and held responsible).
    this is not correct. Apples gripe is their closed app system is according to them the reason for their success. Jailbroken Iphones have access to 3rd party app ecosystems. It has nothing to do with pirated software, everything to do with control.

if this exception was granted, cydia could advertise on tv. You think apple would be happy with that? They could encourage jailbreaking and sap sales from the app store. Wifi sync? Cydia has it, verticle scrolling of home pages? Cydia 2 app store 0. There are plenty of examples to go around... There is a reason cydia is popular and been around for awhile, what if it was offered to everyone?

worst case scenerio for iphone owners, apple is pushed to add functionality that its missed. Almost like a beta feed? What a great idea! We are talking about software after all, how many bricked iphones are there from jailbreaking?
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 06/21/2010 at 11:36 PM.
    I don't get the hubbub... Its good to have choices right? I can get my apps through multiple means.. App catalog, beta feeds, webosqi, url, preware... Boy there are alot of choices. Those using iphones can too, they just have to do more work for it, that and they have to deal with apple trying to break their work each update... That's probally more annoying for the dev's actually...
    could really care less about the legality of it all. In my eyes, without homebrew, webOS is even more unsuccessful than it already is. The iphone doesn't need jailbreaking to be successful. And if I was going to "root" a phone, the legality of it wouldn't sway my decision one way or the other.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    This has been the downfall of this forum for awhile now. It's webOS vs the world on here with no gray area and not a lot of room for reasonable competitive discussion or talk of displeasure with the OS or hardware. So strap on your palm poms and start rooting or go home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Based on the OP's verbiage then it seems that his question is based more on grinding an axe rather than looking for an answer. So how much does "intention" weigh in to the quality of a discussion.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    And if I was going to "root" a phone, the legality of it wouldn't sway my decision one way or the other.
    That's exactly how I feel. If I buy a phone and want to get root access, it doesn't matter what the company says about it lol. I'll do it anyway.
  18.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    This has been the downfall of this forum for awhile now. It's webOS vs the world on here with no gray area and not a lot of room for reasonable competitive discussion or talk of displeasure with the OS or hardware. So strap on your palm poms and start rooting or go home.
    Another complete generalization of this whole site. What is it with you?
    Yes... there are fanatics on this site. I am one of them obviously. Bt what is wrong with that? Especially on PRECENTRAL.NET? Do you expect something else? It does get heated in hear sometimes because of the many that post disrespectful stabs at webos... are you missing those android/ apple supporters who have been crapping on webos from the start? ALL of the "palm is TOAST" post we had to skip over when palms fate was dark. WHat you are saying is that if you believe in that a product is superior and is not getting the recognition you think it deserves... then you and not pose questions and debate it against more succesful platforms? To discredit many others that are posting quality threads here is a complete disrespect on your part.
    What a pompous attitude...This is the forums . This is a place to discuss what ever you want. And if the caliber of debate is not on your level... feel free to leave. You will not be missed... and neither would i be if i reached the level of disatisfaction you have here... and left.
    At the very least... dont waste your time contributing. There is very little news right now for webos. Yes, we support this platform. To see many posts about leaving for android, leaving for apple... many completly discrediting WEBOS often... causes fanatics to post what they feel makes WEBOS sticking around for. If you want to discredit me directly... go ahead. I could care less what you think. For all i know.. you could be living in your parents basement. To discredit the whole site is ignorant and disrespectful
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast