1.    #1  
    Hey All! Considering the Pre Plus as my first smartphone but I am concerned about its' future due to the HP acquisition. Can the community shed some light here and tell me why I should still go with the Pre Plus and specifically over the HTC Aria. I am on AT&T obviously and the iPhone is not an option for me. Thanks so much in advance for the input!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmartian View Post
    Hey All! Considering the Pre Plus as my first smartphone but I am concerned about its' future due to the HP acquisition. Can the community shed some light here and tell me why I should still go with the Pre Plus and specifically over the HTC Aria. I am on AT&T obviously and the iPhone is not an option for me. Thanks so much in advance for the input!
    Me personally I would go to the HTC Aria if I was on AT&T or wait for the new iphone. Also, more than likely nothings going to be announced for webos or Palm until the deal goes through.

My recommendation would be to go to a dedicated android website like your doing for the Pre and ask the same questions. Get each phones strength and weaknesses and just for the hell of it, go to a site that has nothing to do with neither phone and get their opinion. Then make your decision.
    If you need a hard/physical keyboard, stay with the Pre. The HTC Aria is all touchscreen and people are saying it's small. This means the Aria will hard for people with bigger hands.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Most of the build quality issues that have been identified in Pre reviews have been weeded out by now and new Plus devices are solidly built, so that's that.

The HP merger will not break existing phones, and won't stop development either; the only thing it's doing (for the consumer) right now is delay the release of the new handset, which is rumored to be released this fall (possibly august/september with the 1.5 update?).

What you want to buy really depends on the experience that you want. Android is WinMo's successor in that it's powerful at the expense of user-friendliness and style. WebOS is iPhone's alternative in that it goes for user-friendliness and the general user experience over features.

You should play with both platforms a little and then make an informed decision for yourself. For me personally, Android feels clunky and... 'hulking'. A few days with a Hero running Eclair were enough to tell me beyond a doubt that Android is not for me; I had to THINK about how to do things. With webOS, I hardly feel I'm interacting with an operating system. It feels like I'm just doing things... But that's just me and your mileage may be nonexistent.

Whatever you do, realize the following:
    1. Palm is going to release something new in the fall, so if you've time, wait. If the new Palm offer doesn't serve you, twenty new Androids will have arrived by then.
    2. WebOS is now a year old and still suffering from children's diseases at this point. Think first iPhone or Google G1. If you don't like being an early adopter with all of the gamma testing that comes with the honor, reconsider that Pre Plus. Updates are coming in at a two-month clip, but if you're intolerant of glitches and features that are about to be implemented but thrown back by engineers mucking about in a baby OS, Android is older and therefore more mature.
    3. Android App market is almost 20 times bigger than Palm's App catalog. Another maturity problem.

Hope you find your perfect phone Good Luck!
    Did you not see the Samsung Captivate? Sweet specs including a 4" Super AMOLED screen that you won't see anywhere else but Samsung for 18 months.

• Google Android 2.1 smartphone
    • 4-inch AMOLED WVGA touch screen
    • 1GHz Samsung Hummingbird processor
    • 5-megapixel camera w/ high-definition 720p video capture
    • 16 GB of internal memory, upgradable to 32 GB
    • 802.11n Wi-Fi connectivity, Bluetooth 3.0 and high-speed 3G HSPA at 7.2 Mbps.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    One problem, Crogs571, AT&T is slow releasing phones sometimes. They also gave a vague date frame of availability. This depends on whether the OP wants to wait or not.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    well it's all a tradeoff. Very different phones. Could be worth the wait, more so if it's during the summer. They'll miss the boat if it's much later with the new Motos on Verizon coming.

new iphones and two decent android phones on AT&T. Could be taxing to an already crowded network.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I hope they do get a swift kick in the pants for only catering to the iPhone. If they release the Captivate too late and people flock to Verizon for decent Androids(if they haven't already), I'm going to LOL. But the "coming soon" page gives me hope that they have some sense. They released the Pre in the time frame promised.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Honestly, when you REALLY look at the specs, it's not all that different from the Pre... 600 MHz processor on both, 3.2" vs. 3.1" screen (ie, not a big difference), and the Aria has 5 MP vs. the Pre's 3 MP camera. So, like, I said, there's not too much of a difference in the phones.

I guess it all boils down to which OS you like more. Android is great, and so is webOS, and with HP backing it, it's possible that it can only get better. Of course, again, it's just whichever one you like more. The Aria lacks a physical keyboard, as well, which was what prompted me to get the Pre Plus over it.

And yeah, the new Samsung phone's coming out, but am I the only one that just hates Samsung phones? All of them have felt shoddy, and just don't seem to have the best touchscreens on them. Maybe it's just me and I haven't used enough of them...
    I'm sorry. I forgot if you were talking about the Pre or Samsung. Seems like you could go either way with that statement. I liked th e build quality of my Moment. And I'm dating myself, but Samsung did build the best PalmOS phone (the i500). I question their support more than the actual phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreDREb13 View Post
    All of them have felt shoddy, and just don't seem to have the best touchscreens on them. Maybe it's just me and I haven't used enough of them...
    Ive been playing with the Aria and I have to say Im impressed. It is VERY fast. i was impressed even with several apps open it still flies. The size is important but if you like the Pre size you will like the Aria size. Androis is differnet then Web OS. There are a lot of apps for it. Plus, I really like the speech features . You can speak text messages, phone numbers or to open an application. The UI is not as nice as the Pre but I like it alot.