Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am natuarally quite cynical...but it their hasn't been a week for a while that some prolific ipad killer, sporting the so called arm 'God' Tegra2 gets cancelled or delayed. Now yeh, NvIdia have never had good yields, so yeh, some may be a little late or overpriced. But for the market to be totally void of good competition, pretty much solely due to Nvidia...who just signed a contract for their high yield high end apple gaming systems...seems a little amiss to me.

yet again, profit and back-stabbing provails in the slowing technology industry...I think this is a case of money money money for Nvidia.

ok, so their may be one or two tablet alternatives available, but the ipad has overpriced hardware, that a new shinny snapdragon dual core could best any day of the week. But since most manufacturers fell for Nvidia's Tegra pitch...which has led to ZERO alternatives...you gotta ask yourself, will we ever see a viable ipad alternative this year? Will manufacturers be forced away from Tegra,thus having to redesign internals...and how long will Nvidia milk their new found loyalty to apple?

hmmm...just some fuel for thought...
  2. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Just my personal opinion:

The Evo is good competition for the iPad. Sure the screen is less than half the size, but if that's the only bit that prevents you considering my viewpoint a valid one, I will point out that my tablet PC has less than half the screen real estate of my descktop, but competes favorably for my usage. The Evo does many things the iPad cannot do, so I think it is reasonable to consider screen size as just one feature in favor of the iPad just as you might consider a forward facing camera as one feature in favor of the Evo. If you want a closer competitor that does away with the OS arguments, we may consider the iPhone 4 based on the same logic.

And I'm reminded... my tablet PC competes favorably - again in my personal opinion - with the iPad as well.
    I have an EVO and I hate it. In fact, I don't even think it's the best android device. Can't compare it all all to the strengths of the iPad.
    ipad is actually quite cheap for a large capacitive device.

the slate cant compete, so they prob scrapped it.

Apple caught the market by surprise, they made a long lasting well built tablet with a great mobile Os. Before that tablets were niche and expensive, running windows with poor battery life.

HP realized WebOS is there key into the newly created market. They are shooting for some of the apple tablet pie.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    For the storage onboard, I also think it's overpriced.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The iPad is overpriced? What do you think killed the Courier, HP Slate, the Joo Joo, and whatever tablet projects were underway before January? The $500 starting price. Apple is selling 1.2 million iPads per month and accelerating. There are 10,000 iPad-specfiic apps in the App Store. It's going to take a lot more than hardware to compete with the iPad. I think these projects were killed because a simple focus group would reveal that Android tablets would be non-competitive unless price a couple of hundred dollars lower.
    Large sales doesn't mean it's not overpriced. It only means that it has a lot of interest. And as an iPad owner then the price is easily the #1 reason why I still recommend netbooks over this. (the #2 reason is the eventual camera/retinal display model)

As for the death of those other products:
    -Courier: As much as I wanted that product to be real, it never seemed to be more than a great concept. And since it would only fragment MS's approach so I'm okay with it dying.

-HP Slate: The Palm purchase hopefully is what killed that because I really believe WebOS will have better success in the tablet market rather than the smartphone one.

-JooJoo: Cmon. Whether the iPad existed or not then that was never destined to be more than an ego stroke for Arrington

To be honest, the OP's wording really made me unsure of what his point was. But my opinion is that slates ARE a legitimate market and the longer it takes for the competition to jump in the more that Apple is going to pull ahead in mindshare and marketshare.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    ipad is actually quite cheap for a large capacitive device.
    I got a $499 16GB iPad (which really is only 12.6GB) so once I realized it's not enough capacity I had to return it and buy the 32GB for $100 more. So no, this isn't cheap and in 2010 then 16/32GB is not considered "large capacity".

Based on some reports then the iPad only costs $270 to make so they're definitely making a healthy profit on it. But only time will tell if they will go the route of the iPhone and give it a more realistic pricetag (iPhone started at $699 and then dropped to $299) or if they'll do their traditional pricing structure where these prices are fixed and every generation will just upgrade specs. I'm hoping for a major price drop but that will require some legitimate competition so hopefully that comes soon.
    Almost every "expert" predicted the iPad would be about $1000. The price is amazing for a near 10 inch tablet. As the old saying goes, something is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Large sales doesn't mean it's not overpriced. It only means that it has a lot of interest. And as an iPad owner then the price is easily the #1 reason why I still recommend netbooks over this. (the #2 reason is the eventual camera/retinal display model).
    As a long time netbook user, I strongly disagree with your opinion. Netbooks are good at nothing. Try reading an ebook on a netbook.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    As a long time netbook user, I strongly disagree with your opinion. Netbooks are good at nothing. Try reading an ebook on a netbook.
    As an iPad user who happens to be reading an ebook at this moment (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter) then I agree. BUT, most people looking for a cheap portable device are more concerned with Internet, email and media consumption than reading ebooks.

Both may be well qualified for the job but the $200 Dell Mini 10 I just bought mother is 1/3 the cost of my $599 iPad. She's loving her Dell because it has capacity (160gb), familiarity (Win 7), Webcam (Skype w/ grandkids), Dropbox (automatically appears in picasa), SD slot, iTunes podcast subscriptions, a physical keyboard and all the crap necessary for those endless FWDs she keeps opening despite my warnings. (flash, PowerPoint).

I thought the iPad would be perfect but it turned out that neither she nor the iPad is ready to meet just yet. But her loss is my gain because I kept the iPad I bought her and love it.
  11.    #11  
    Almost every "expert" predicted the iPad would be about $1000. The price is amazing for a near 10 inch tablet. As the old saying goes, something is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.
    Absolutely, however, I personally am a price to performance kinda guy, and as far as hardware goes, I think that you don't get what you pay for...

However, apple's ability to so closely integrate hardware and software delivers astonishing results, I still feel that Apple should offer better HARDWARE for less.

But I'm sure that the price and performance and such has already been thoroughly discussed on this here forum; I was more concerned with the lack of competition emerging from Nvidia's chipsets;

Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Just my personal opinion:
    The Evo is good competition for the iPad.
    Although I acknowledge that competition is around in the form of the EVO and DELL Streak, I somehow can't but help be dissapointed at the reported response to this 'new' platform...what happened to the plethora of devices promised to wash out iPads dominance?

For me, the answer is Tegra 2 --> I know I harp on about it but seriously guys, what alternatives for processing units are their, we have OMAP4's Snapdragon dual cores and Atoms, but all manufacturers announced Tegra 2 based chips, as they promised the best performance, and now....we have nothing?A little more than convenient for Apple if you ask me?
    It's convinient for apple for the time being but eventually the rest of the market will catch up. It takes many months to develop the hardware/software necessary for a new device. Before the ipad no one knew they wanted a big touchscreen tablet and ow everybody has to play catch up.
    I said something similar in the iPad: To buy or not to buy...OP, but we won't see anything on Apple's level anytime soon. Even when Tegra 2 chips are put into tablets, the biggest issue is the OS. What's out there? Android? WebOS? Really think about it, Android is still in beta, WebOS is nice but they have a long way to go in regards to stability compared to iOS not to mention apps for a tablet.

Even if they somehow manage to get everything together you still have to put in the fact that Apple will be releasing a thinner, sexier, more powerful piece of hardware as well causing a WebOS/Android tablet to fail, which sort of leads to slower advancements.

Competition still needs to try, I just feel people shouldn't get their hopes up anytime soon. P.S. Maybe a Windows 7 Tablet could work.
    *Meant windows Phone 7 Tablet
    $500-$630 for only 16GB, no expandable storage offered, is actually a tough expense to justify.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    $500-$630 for only 16GB, no expandable storage offered, is actually a tough expense to justify.
    Not for me. I think it's an incredible value.
    That's because you tend to think Apple can do no wrong. But to me, I don't see why 32GB isn't the base model at that price, since you can't expand the storage.

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That's because you tend to think Apple can do no wrong. But to me, I don't see why 32GB isn't the base model at that price, since you can't expand the storage.
    I totally agree with this, it ain't like NAND is expensive, they could easily have 128GB as the high end and 32GB as base
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    I totally agree with this, it ain't like NAND is expensive, they could easily have 128GB as the high end and 32GB as base
    Apple is a business first, in order to make huge profits they do things like this plus with no competition they can do as they please. I think they could have even introduced an 8Gb version for $100 less than the 16gb, and they could have sold millions of those too. The average Joe doesn't give to cents about memory, our Sprint Palm Pre has 8Gb, people didn't care about that.
    For a laptop replacement device, storage matters.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast