Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 71 of 71
  1. WhoMe's Avatar
    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I paid $599 for mine. Don't think I really need to justify my purchases to anyone. Sorry I have a different opinion on my iPad then you do on yours.

    Why use a 3 pound netbook when my 3.5 pound laptop does everything better.

    So you are able to tell me I am not productive on my iPad? Pretty incredible
    Im with you. I paid $450 (Open Box 16gig wifi). Im very happy with mine and would have gladly paid full price. It has replaced my casual computing needs completely. I return to school in the fall. If a decent note app/stylus combo emerge Ill be using it instead of my Samsung netbook in class. If not the netbook will be used to write papers and the like.

    For now the iPad sits on the coffee table at home and it has transformed how I access the net and enjoy all of my digital content. Both my netbook and my desktop remain dormant 95% percent of the time.

    Id also like to say its a bit of an exaggeration when that guy posted that everyone is trying to justify their 830 dollar purchase...then he rounds up to an even thousand. I love my iPad but I would not have spend 1,000 on it. But ultimatly no matter what people paid, they have to be happy. And if they arent...take it back. I can gaurentee somone will snatch that sucker up on an open box discount.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    We all have our own uses. Luckily all of my apps have an available corresponding app in the app store. Most of the time I find the experience working with these apps far better on my iPad than I do on my Netbook.

    If I wanted to work with "big files", type a new document or something like that, I will use my laptop (because I find the Netbook poor at those things too).

    I would never present my laptop, desktop, iPad, iPhone, Netbook or anything to a client and call it "my productivity device". I just don't find myself needing to explain what hardware I use to my clients. I guess you do.
    I don't mean literally present, as in set up a spotlight and PA system to announce "my productivity device". What I mean is that clients expect me to show up with the equipment to work with theirs. That means being able to print to printers inaccessible by WiFi, quickly connect to their monitors, keyboard and mice, being able to run proprietary security software, apps, and codecs, pull up files-to-large-for-email off of USB memory sticks, use the (ancient) browser they use to make sure everything displays as it should before pushing to the live site, etc.

    Basically, be able to slip in and out of any Wintel environment with capabilities that go far beyond reading mail and syncing - which can be done pretty much any smartphone of the past 5 years.

    If I showed with an iPad to do any of that, I'd probably be getting home early that day and polishing my resume.

    I can't have more than a few webpage windows open without it reloading as I switch between them? Really? And each one takes up the entirety of the screen, so I can't look at a Sharepoint request, the file it concerns, and the email with notes about it at the same time? Not a productivity device for me, then. If all I needed to do to be productive was sync files and notes, read mail, and type up reports or browse the Web...the iPad would be an awesome productivity device.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I paid $599 for mine. Don't think I really need to justify my purchases to anyone. Sorry I have a different opinion on my iPad then you do on yours.

    Why use a 3 pound netbook when my 3.5 pound laptop does everything better.

    So you are able to tell me I am not productive on my iPad? Pretty incredible
    Just to sum it up..

    I think the iphone is currently the best smartphone out there and is a good buy.

    I think the iPad at 499 could be a good buy as it could replace a kindle and make a great e-reader also with the ability to run some simple apps, limited web browsing, watch multimedia, etc.

    I think its silly to talk about the iPad being anything more than that right now.
    Last edited by cardfan; 06/21/2010 at 01:42 PM.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But when its time to be productive, you reach for a small 11.6" laptop. It wakes up quickly and off you go. (you do realize the iPad is sleeping as well) Some have excellent battery life. Acer's 1830t for example. 3lbs, 8 hours, i5 processor, HD screen. That's full internet, full version of Office, a kb, your software needed for work,, etc. USB ports, 500gb harddrive, card reader.
    I don't own a small laptop. I do own a netbook though and that doesn't do anything quickly (bootup, wakeup, app startup). It's slow at everything and the poor quality 1024x7600 display makes running things like Office or Quicken painful. OTOH It can run those apps and an iPad cannot, so it is sometimes useful.

    However, when its time to be productive, I would be using a desktop with at least one large high rez (1920x1080 or better) monitor, preferably two.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Just to sum it up..

    I think the iphone is currently the best smartphone out there and is a good buy.

    I think the iPad at 499 could be a good buy as it could replace a kindle and make a great e-reader also with the ability to run some simple apps, limited web browsing, watch multimedia, etc.

    I think its silly to talk about the iPad being anything more than that right now.
    Just to sum it up. I can access my companies database system on my iPad. Access our corporate Project Management system, sync to my task management program of choice, access our internal SharePoint environment, chat with our internal IM solution, etc.

    I think its silly you can say that my iPad is not a productivity tool for my needs.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Just to sum it up. I can access my companies database system on my iPad. Access our corporate Project Management system, sync to my task management program of choice, access our internal SharePoint environment, chat with our internal IM solution, etc.

    I think its silly you can say that my iPad is not a productivity tool for my needs.
    I think his point - from what I gather - is that while you can "access" this or that or sync this or that, that's a very narrow definition of productivity, as PCs carry out many tasks beyond accessing a server here or syncing or chatting or letting you read email. These are all fairly light, generic applications. Most corporate environments require far more than that and have specific or proprietary apps or codecs that exist for the sake of both security and branding.

    And that's for employees who DON'T travel. For ones that do, you need to have the flexibility to do more than just "check in" on things. If you need to edit graphics using Photoshop to access PSD files or edit scripts for a training course or...a million different productivity scenarios that even a low-level IT professional might find themselves in...there's no productivity to be found.

    I gather there are many people whose "needs" are being met by the iPad, hence it selling millions of units. I just don't think productivity - as in using it to create and output complex work of any sort - is a significant part of those needs.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I tend to agree with many things you say, but in this case I'm just baffled at what exactly your point is. I understand how annoying it is for people to "hate" a product based primarily on the manufacturer, but this thread doesn't seem to have that because the theme is more about portable computing and competition. Nobody is telling you what you can and can't do in your life. And considering you keep repeating how the iPad fits what YOU want to do, then you give an awful lot of argument towards people who say that their netbook fits what THEY want to do. As great as both are, they are both still limited devices for limited needs.

    For me, I absolutely love my iPad. It really is a life-changer in that it's changed the way I use a computer at home. My notebook is now tied to my desk and never disconnected because most household tasks are accomplished on my iPad. But I can also see why people wouldn't want this and view it as a luxury item. People here are making good reasons for why a netbook makes sense for them so whats the big deal? I bought my mom a netbook and it was the right decision because most of her tasks and training revolve around the Windows world. So she got what she wanted, I saved $350 and none of these decisions affects anyone on these boards.
    Not trying to baffle anybody here. I clearly laid out my points on why in my opinion, the iPads serves me well as both a productivity and an entertainment device. I find it fascinating that people can make blanket statements because their opinion differs. I understand the iPad is not for everybody. It suites my needs just fine.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think his point - from what I gather - is that while you can "access" this or that or sync this or that, that's a very narrow definition of productivity, as PCs carry out many tasks beyond accessing a server here or syncing or chatting or letting you read email. These are all fairly light, generic applications. Most corporate environments require far more than that and have specific or proprietary apps or codecs that exist for the sake of both security and branding.

    And that's for employees who DON'T travel. For ones that do, you need to have the flexibility to do more than just "check in" on things. If you need to edit graphics using Photoshop to access PSD files or edit scripts for a training course or...a million different productivity scenarios that even a low-level IT professional might find themselves in...there's no productivity to be found.

    I gather there are many people whose "needs" are being met by the iPad, hence it selling millions of units. I just don't think productivity - as in using it to create and output complex work of any sort - is a significant part of those needs.
    This will be my last post on the matter because you guys will only be satisfied if I admit you are right (which I don't think at all). I discussed the many business uses I have for my iPad. I find it an invaluable tool that I use (in addition to my laptop, and mobile phone). I have two Netbooks that I have completely replaced with my iPad. I find the experience (for my needs) is greater on the iPad than it is on my Netbooks. Again, I understand that not everybody will agree, but for my needs, I will take the iPad over any Netbook.

    I'm not really interested if certain people feel my needs are "light" and "generic" (crazy if you think accessing, changing, and redesigning my corporate database used by about 50,000 employees when flying at about 20,000 feet is "light"). If you can say I don't really have a Productivity use for my iPad, your just flat out wrong. But I suppose you guys would know better what my needs are.
    Last edited by mobileman; 06/21/2010 at 03:53 PM.
  9. #69  
    Dude, it's not about being right or wrong. I've always said - whether it's smartphone, laptop, or tablet - you have to find what works for you.

    So, you cannot be "wrong". The iPad works best for you. I get that. I'm simply saying that I could not use your definitions or use cases of productivity in any corporate environment I've been in, much less as a personal definition. If I made a bullet list of what you stated verbatim and submitted it as a status sheet for what I during the week, my employers would want to have a chat.

    You appear to be a DBA of some sort. I'm sure you have deliverables besides looking at mail, Sharepoint, etc. That's not to diminish how important those things are TO YOU. I'm just saying I can get multiple jobs done with (the right) netbook or laptop, with a lot of outputted files of various sorts (e.g. PSD, proprietary CMS, etc.) to show for it. I'm not really seeing the same from your corner. Maybe it's just the nature of your work. Nothing to be offended about it. We'll chalk it up to my lack of understanding of your profession. Cool?
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Dude, it's not about being right or wrong. I've always said - whether it's smartphone, laptop, or tablet - you have to find what works for you.

    So, you cannot be "wrong". The iPad works best for you. I get that. I'm simply saying that I could not use your definitions or use cases of productivity in any corporate environment I've been in, much less as a personal definition. If I made a bullet list of what you stated verbatim and submitted it as a status sheet for what I during the week, my employers would want to have a chat.

    You appear to be a DBA of some sort. I'm sure you have deliverables besides looking at mail, Sharepoint, etc. That's not to diminish how important those things are TO YOU. I'm just saying I can get multiple jobs done with (the right) netbook or laptop, with a lot of outputted files of various sorts (e.g. PSD, proprietary CMS, etc.) to show for it. I'm not really seeing the same from your corner. Maybe it's just the nature of your work. Nothing to be offended
    about it. We'll chalk it up to my lack of understanding of your profession. Cool?
    Cool. You win.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    So yeh, as it is, the ipad is a pretty nice, pretty big, iphone, I seriously dont see it as a netbook alternative, sue to the restrictive OS, based on the low tech...However, with a more open linux distro, with some better dual core snapdragon'ism, I think a competitor could outshine the ipad in an instant!!
    I just upgraded my wifes iPod Touch to iOS 4.0. I have to say it felt quite sluggish in comparison to my iPad (and the tiny screen took some getting used to). OTOH my netbook feels so slow, when I am using it I often have multitask with my iPad.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions