Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    The HP mini does not have a great keyboard. It also does not let you go almost three days without charging like my iPad does.

    In addition, to do anything quick (like check my email), I need to boot up
    as someone with an hp mini, I disagree with most of your assesment, that's why I decided against an ipad, it simply simply cannot replace my mini, and costs to much. The mini1000 has a very good keyboard, and it boots from sleep in no time.

    besides, If I was going to get a ten inch tablet I would get a more functional and less costly one, like this

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003D1DZBY/ref=mp_s_a_7?qid=1277092492&sr=8-7


    I really honestly don't see the "magic" or "revolution" in this device, all I see is a less than compelling netbook alternative.

    but that's me.
  2. #42  
    I guess to each their own. I also have the mini (along with a MSI netbook). I do not like the keyboard at all. If I want to type up anything of length I will use my regular laptop. In addition sleep mode I find kills the battery (which already isn't that great). I travel a lot for work. There are plenty of times I am not near an outlet. The iPad's awesome battery life comes in very handy.

    Also, I find reading anything (books, magazines, newspapers) is far better on the iPad. Try doing this on your mini.

    I know each person uses their netbook for different things, but for me it's no contest. The iPad has completely replaced both my netbooks.
  3. #43  
    I'm sorry, but who travels for business and spends the majority of their day away from an outlet, yet needs a laptop to get work done? Just seems bizarre. You work for luddite agribusinessmen who hack corporate networks?

    Also, I'm not going to spend all of those hours away from an outlet holding a 10 inch screen with both hands or hunched over my lap pecking. Neither would be comfortable or even acceptable. Of course, if I were at a table that could ease this problem, I would also be near an outlet.

    Don't see any problem with reading things on my Mini 311. Better, sharper screen with more pixels. Ebooks are super simple and abundant, magazine websites display fully with flash and videos intact, and news reading is marvelous. 2GB of RAM lets me queue up a lot more material at the same time than 256MB of RAM. Stays cooler.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm sorry, but who travels for business and spends the majority of their day away from an outlet, yet needs a laptop to get work done? Just seems bizarre. You work for luddite agribusinessmen who hack corporate networks?

    Also, I'm not going to spend all of those hours away from an outlet holding a 10 inch screen with both hands or hunched over my lap pecking. Neither would be comfortable or even acceptable. Of course, if I were at a table that could ease this problem, I would also be near an outlet.

    Don't see any problem with reading things on my Mini 311. Better, sharper screen with more pixels. Ebooks are super simple and abundant, magazine websites display fully with flash and videos intact, and news reading is marvelous. 2GB of RAM lets me queue up a lot more material at the same time than 256MB of RAM. Stays cooler.
    clearly you've never used an iPad for an extended period of time. Nothing wrong with that since you have another solution that meets your needs. That's all that counts.

    The iPad will never replace all netbooks or laptops...but for a certain segment of people it will meet certain needs exceptionally well. You are not one of those people...I am.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    clearly you've never used an iPad for an extended period of time. Nothing wrong with that since you have another solution that meets your needs. That's all that counts.

    The iPad will never replace all netbooks or laptops...but for a certain segment of people it will meet certain needs exceptionally well. You are not one of those people...I am.
    What would the length of time I have to use an iPad have to do with what I said? Does it become MORE comfortable to hold it for 2 hours than 15 minutes? Does it become more comfortable the longer you are hunched over?

    I mean, let's not be pithy. I mentioned some very specific things that an HP Mini 311 does well and that an iPad - in my opinion - does not. Please be equally specific if you're going to dismiss what I say.

    Keep in mind, I didn't consider the iPad as a latop or netbook replacement, as I didn't have either at the time. We had a midrange desktop and I had a Pre. We needed another computer. The HP Mini 311 with 2GB of RAM and an Nvidia Ion is that for me. Remember, tho, that I got it for $250, which is not what it sells for new. It's around $400-500, and if I was to pay that, I might not have snapped it up quite as quickly.

    But I am glad I did. It is very stylish, and ridiculously capable. I relented a bought an iPod Touch years ago after the prices had dropped and the I felt like there was enough of a value being offered. I am certainly open to doing the same with an iPad somewhere down the line when I can get a better model at any store for $300-400. I'm just not going to sit around and wait for that day. No need to. I can do much better right now, and I did.
  6. #46  
    Reading a book on an ipad is much more comfortable than on a device that has a keyboard. I generally like laying on my couch when reading where a netbook sitting on my chest just wouldn't work. Plus, pushing a button to turn pages is more of a pain than just swiping. I read tons of comics on mine and while I had them on my computer before, i rarely touched them. Now, I've got them on the ipad and it's just so much more accessible.

    Looking above, no one is diismissing anyone Mikah. Those other posters both said a variation of to each his own so no need to get too heated here.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    Reading a book on an ipad is much more comfortable than on a device that has a keyboard. I generally like laying on my couch when reading where a netbook sitting on my chest just wouldn't work. Plus, pushing a button to turn pages is more of a pain than just swiping. I read tons of comics on mine and while I had them on my computer before, i rarely touched them. Now, I've got them on the ipad and it's just so much more accessible.

    Looking above, no one is diismissing anyone Mikah. Those other posters both said a variation of to each his own so no need to get too heated here.
    for my netbook I use the built in screen orientation switching function to make it a portrait mode and hold it just like a book. Scroll with the arrow keys, and I have adjusted my contrast so that text is quite easy to read.

    I have spent countless hours studying for medical school on this thing, and it's worked well for me.

    that being said, Its not as good a screen for reading as an Ipad, but i find that less comfortable than a kindle (which does have a keyboard, just not all the functions you might use one for)

    over all, however, when i really need to study, i always end up with a textbook, the text is easier to read, its faster to jump from page to page, and flick through pages, and, whats more, its the fastest solution when i want to highlight, annotate, and draw small pictures for myself within the margins.

    If the Ipad, had
    1)speed half that of what a real textbook had
    2)pen input, that allowed me to annotate
    3)the textbooks I need
    4)a little less primitive interface that allowed for more use of the screen space, a split screen or, dare i say it card view, so i can move around easier.

    then I could excuse its lack of functions on other fronts, and would probably have bought one, but it doesn't so its book, netbook, pre for me.

    plus, the people i see on trains with ipads are always contorted into a fetal potion with one hand twisted over the top to try to stabilize the thing, looks very uncomfortable compared to a laptop, which fits, you know, in your lap.

    I will say this about the ipad, it is one sleek sexy and smooth device, both form and function, very gadget lust worthy.
    Last edited by windzilla; 06/21/2010 at 09:21 AM.
  8. #48  
    Nothing wrong with that I guess if you don't mind holding the keyboard. just seems unwieldy to me to try that with my laptop.
  9. #49  
    It always comes down to eReading. It's what iPad does best, and it's why that device doesn't compel me at this point in time.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm sorry, but who travels for business and spends the majority of their day away from an outlet, yet needs a laptop to get work done? Just seems bizarre. You work for luddite agribusinessmen who hack corporate networks?

    Also, I'm not going to spend all of those hours away from an outlet holding a 10 inch screen with both hands or hunched over my lap pecking. Neither would be comfortable or even acceptable. Of course, if I were at a table that could ease this problem, I would also be near an outlet.

    Don't see any problem with reading things on my Mini 311. Better, sharper screen with more pixels. Ebooks are super simple and abundant, magazine websites display fully with flash and videos intact, and news reading is marvelous. 2GB of RAM lets me queue up a lot more material at the same time than 256MB of RAM. Stays cooler.
    Yes, I travel from NY to SF all the time. I often go up to 10 hours a day where I have no easy access to an outlet. I been doing this for almost 9 years, so I think I have a pretty good understanding of it.

    If you can honestly tell me that reading ebooks on a netbook is a better experience than reading one on the iPad, there really is no need to continue this conversation. The experience is not even close. Curious, when you read ebooks on your mini, do you hold it on its side?

    Everybody has a different opinion, but for my needs (ebooks, reading the news, watching movies, access to my business apps) the iPad experience is far better than my netbook experience. It might be different for you.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Yes, I travel from NY to SF all the time. I often go up to 10 hours a day where I have no easy access to an outlet. I been doing this for almost 9 years, so I think I have a pretty good understanding of it.

    If you can honestly tell me that reading ebooks on a netbook is a better experience than reading one on the iPad, there really is no need to continue this conversation. The experience is not even close. Curious, when you read ebooks on your mini, do you hold it on its side?

    Everybody has a different opinion, but for my needs (ebooks, reading the news, watching movies, access to my business apps) the iPad experience is far better than my netbook experience. It might be different for you.
    I too have traveled extensively for business, tho no longer. Even if I had a flight that was three hours and a layover was involved, I absolutely did not need to look a computer screen every second of the journey, and had no desire to. If I had to, I could top off during layovers to stay running. I would never, however, spend several hours holding a slate or hunched over my lap. I got tired of doing that after 15 minutes with my friend's iPad.

    I would never say a laptop or netbook is BETTER for eReading because it is not. That is not what that form factor is for. Just like the slate form factor is not ideal for gaming, extended text entry, and many, many other functions.

    Like I said....if eReading is your thing, iPad makes sense. That form factor makes sense. And it does many cool things dedicated eReaders do not. But for me, the many other things computers do are way more important. And after the Sprint Pre, I will never pay for a "productivity" device with 256MB of RAM again. Never.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I too have traveled extensively for business, tho no longer. Even if I had a flight that was three hours and a layover was involved, I absolutely did not need to look a computer screen every second of the journey, and had no desire to. If I had to, I could top off during layovers to stay running. I would never, however, spend several hours holding a slate or hunched over my lap. I got tired of doing that after 15 minutes with my friend's iPad.

    I would never say a laptop or netbook is BETTER for eReading because it is not. That is not what that form factor is for. Just like the slate form factor is not ideal for gaming, extended text entry, and many, many other functions.

    Like I said....if eReading is your thing, iPad makes sense. That form factor makes sense. And it does many cool things dedicated eReaders do not. But for me, the many other things computers do are way more important. And after the Sprint Pre, I will never pay for a "productivity" device with 256MB of RAM again. Never.
    Almost everything on a computer though requires some type of reading.

    I guess I consider productivity different than you. Besides the entertainment stuff, I also use my iPad to connect to my BaseCamp software (project management), connect to my corporate SharePoint pages, sync to my tasks application, sync to my corporate database, check emails, view spreadsheets and .pdf's

    I find my iPad very productive.
  13. #53  
    I found it to be very much like the Pre. Web pages reload too much. Apps for what I needed at my job were limited. Can't go to a work site and plug into a standard monitor, keyboard, and mouse and get work done.

    A lot of what you mentioned above is syncing and viewing. No disrespect meant to whatever it is you do, but I am expected to do a lot more than read and sync notes and mail. I deal with Wintel machines, and often have to run proprietary apps and move big files on the fly. I often need the screen real estate of my laptop screen AND another widescreen monitor, or even two. I would get laughed out of the building if I tried to present the iPad as my "productivity" machine to my clients.

    My boss has one. Takes it with him to meetings. Loves it. Does almost all of his work on the old crappy Thinkpad we're all saddled with.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I found it to be very much like the Pre. Web pages reload too much. Apps for what I needed at my job were limited. Can't go to a work site and plug into a standard monitor, keyboard, and mouse and get work done.

    A lot of what you mentioned above is syncing and viewing. No disrespect meant to whatever it is you do, but I am expected to do a lot more than read and sync notes and mail. I deal with Wintel machines, and often have to run proprietary apps and move big files on the fly. I often need the screen real estate of my laptop screen AND another widescreen monitor, or even two. I would get laughed out of the building if I tried to present the iPad as my "productivity" machine to my clients.

    My boss has one. Takes it with him to meetings. Loves it. Does almost all of his work on the old crappy Thinkpad we're all saddled with.
    We all have our own uses. Luckily all of my apps have an available corresponding app in the app store. Most of the time I find the experience working with these apps far better on my iPad than I do on my Netbook.

    If I wanted to work with "big files", type a new document or something like that, I will use my laptop (because I find the Netbook poor at those things too).

    I would never present my laptop, desktop, iPad, iPhone, Netbook or anything to a client and call it "my productivity device". I just don't find myself needing to explain what hardware I use to my clients. I guess you do.

    I will give you the last word.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    It's convinient for apple for the time being but eventually the rest of the market will catch up. It takes many months to develop the hardware/software necessary for a new device. Before the ipad no one knew they wanted a big touchscreen tablet and ow everybody has to play catch up.
    It is not that "no one knew they wanted a touchscreen device" Touch Screen devices were lower powered and not easy to use. In addition they were much more expensive than netbooks in the range of $1000 for the cheapest one. M experience with them was of half baked UI and getting hot after a few minutes and needing to be plugged in after an hour or so of use.

    iPad "is" most definitely a giant ipod touch but it seems to be capable of doing what I need it to do "most" of the time. I hate that Apple did not have 512 Mb of memory as Safari and 3rd party multi tab browsers keep crashing on me with large blogs. I am also not in love with iphone UI or OS (I think webOS PAD would kill) but I am also amazed by what people have accomplished with ipad. Netflix, abc, air video, kindle, ibooks, several blog apps, news apps etc. have made this device my news paper, my travle companion and my portable DVD/movie/TV player.

    I was initially going to buy Notion Ink Adam but once it got delayed I went ahead and bought ipad 16GB wifi version. So far it is completely filled and I think it is too expensive for what it is, the price should come down as memory is not that expensive. Next version of iPad will definitely be better and hopefully iOS4 will make things a little bit better as well.

    My verdict, wait for next gen iPad and while you are check the competition Notion ink Adam being one of them and HP slate being the other.

    If you absolutely need something right now, Dell Streak is actually on par with iPad in some ways and better in others just lacking in size.
  16. #56  
    I still see people going to great lengths to justify their 829.00 iPad purchase. It's a good ebook reader with a great looking screen that can offer browsing & media. Maybe a nice way to kill some time when traveling. Yep, i know the joys of ereading on the iPad, but spending a 1000 dollars for an ereader seems a bit insane.

    An iphone does it just as well. Especially the new one coming out Thursday. Like Mikah said, you don't spend every waking moment glued to the screen. I could easily spend an hour or two killing time reading an ebook, watching video or web browsing on the iphone if i'm traveling. It's a much better device.

    But when its time to be productive, you reach for a small 11.6" laptop. It wakes up quickly and off you go. (you do realize the iPad is sleeping as well) Some have excellent battery life. Acer's 1830t for example. 3lbs, 8 hours, i5 processor, HD screen. That's full internet, full version of Office, a kb, your software needed for work,, etc. USB ports, 500gb harddrive, card reader.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    $500-$630 for only 16GB, no expandable storage offered, is actually a tough expense to justify.
    The 32GB iPhone 4 costs around $870 unlocked without carrier subsidies.
  18. #58  
    Which I'm never going to pay either.

    I'm still looking at getting a white 32GB 3GS because my old SIM would fit fine.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I still see people going to great lengths to justify their 829.00 iPad purchase. It's a good ebook reader with a great looking screen that can offer browsing & media. Maybe a nice way to kill some time when traveling. Yep, i know the joys of ereading on the iPad, but spending a 1000 dollars for an ereader seems a bit insane.

    An iphone does it just as well. Especially the new one coming out Thursday. Like Mikah said, you don't spend every waking moment glued to the screen. I could easily spend an hour or two killing time reading an ebook, watching video or web browsing on the iphone if i'm traveling. It's a much better device.

    But when its time to be productive, you reach for a small 11.6" laptop. It wakes up quickly and off you go. (you do realize the iPad is sleeping as well) Some have excellent battery life. Acer's 1830t for example. 3lbs, 8 hours, i5 processor, HD screen. That's full internet, full version of Office, a kb, your software needed for work,, etc. USB ports, 500gb harddrive, card reader.
    I paid $599 for mine. Don't think I really need to justify my purchases to anyone. Sorry I have a different opinion on my iPad then you do on yours.

    Why use a 3 pound netbook when my 3.5 pound laptop does everything better.

    So you are able to tell me I am not productive on my iPad? Pretty incredible
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    An iphone does it just as well. Especially the new one coming out Thursday. Like Mikah said, you don't spend every waking moment glued to the screen. I could easily spend an hour or two killing time reading an ebook, watching video or web browsing on the iphone if i'm traveling. It's a much better device.
    IMHO The iPhone screen is far too small for eBook reading or web browsing for long periods. Its not ideal for composing emails on either. The iPad's much larger screen makes it much easier to use for both reading and typing.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions