Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    For a laptop replacement device, storage matters.
    It does matter, but most people that purchased the iPad use it as a media consumption device. A couple apps here, a couple ebooks there, maybe a playlist here won't take that much room. Add in Youtube and Netflix streaming, people don't even need to download movies to the iPad saving tons of memory.

Don't get me wrong, I want as much memory as possible, even a microsd slot too, but after listening to Steve Jobs on D8, I know it will only happen when a large enough market wants it. Right now most people aren't yearning it enough and they steadily buy whatever Apple dishes out.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    It does matter, but most people that purchased the iPad use it as a media consumption device. A couple apps here, a couple ebooks there, maybe a playlist here won't take that much room. Add in Youtube and Netflix streaming, people don't even need to download movies to the iPad saving tons of memory.

Don't get me wrong, I want as much memory as possible, even a microsd slot too, but after listening to Steve Jobs on D8, I know it will only happen when a large enough market wants it. Right now most people aren't yearning it enough and they steadily buy whatever Apple dishes out.
    True, average Joe case, the ipad is supremely well marketed, Apple are marketing kings...look at the iphone 4, enough of a change to justify buying one, but not too much of a change as to maximise product life cycles.

I'd just prefer it if Apple, and some other tech manufacturers released the greatest and latest to deliver maximum value for money...from a geeks point of view.

For example, i would feel robbed if the next palm device didn't have a dual core; equally, I'm dissapointed at the ipads hardware, and the industries lack of competition...
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post

The Best Buy near me got lots of returns because people found they couldn't use it as true laptop replacement. That's also what I intended to use it for, but only when traveling, so I can make do with 16GB. But honestly 32GB should have been the base. They don't even have a 16GB touch anymore. I also remember the first flash drive laptops had 64GB. 16GB is actually paltry for device like that. It's OK on phones for now, but on a laptop replacement, no.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    True, average Joe case, the ipad is supremely well marketed, Apple are marketing kings...look at the iphone 4, enough of a change to justify buying one, but not too much of a change as to maximise product life cycles.

I'd just prefer it if Apple, and some other tech manufacturers released the greatest and latest to deliver maximum value for money...from a geeks point of view.

For example, i would feel robbed if the next palm device didn't have a dual core; equally, I'm dissapointed at the ipads hardware, and the industries lack of competition...
    We all wish this, but if Apple gave us their best lineup people would never need to upgrade to next years new additions making Apple lose cash. Apple is smart, give people a taste, not too much and not too little, since competition isn't here they own the playing field. Look at the iPad, really it would've cost them about a couple of cents to throw in a front facing camera, but why when next years model will have it. Why give us the retina display this year when the 2012 iPad will have it even though they already had the tech.

The Best Buy near me got lots of returns because people found they couldn't use it as true laptop replacement. That's also what I intended to use it for, but only when traveling, so I can make do with 16GB. But honestly 32GB should have been the base. They don't even have a 16GB touch anymore. I also remember the first flash drive laptops had 64GB. 16GB is actually paltry for device like that. It's OK on phones for now, but on a laptop replacement, no.
    Yea, If people want a laptop/netbook replacement they'll need a 64gb version, but they might also need to jailbreak it too since multitasking won't be here till Fall.
    That's because you tend to think Apple can do no wrong. But to me, I don't see why 32GB isn't the base model at that price, since you can't expand the storage.
    I do? You know nothing about me. Show some maturity, and leave off the attacks and accusations.

Show me a link to a cheaper 10 inch tablet.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    No offense, but have you actually used an iPad? Im just curious on why you're so disappointed in the iPad hardware. As a consumer, the sign of good hardware is when you don't care about specs. Specs only become important when you are troubleshooting as to why your apps open so slow, why the battery is 20% at noon or why scrolling stutters. And with the iPads 10hr battery, hq movie playback, snappy apps etc then this doesn't have that problem.

I can definitely acknowledge that the iPad is missing a camera and (built in) SD slot, but those are more wishlist items that dont affect normal usage. And since they say this is the same guts as the iPhone 4 (except they get twice the RAM at 512MB) then I think these devices may end up being the smoothest experience in the tech world regardless of cores or high end video.
    It was never marketed as a laptop replacement. It's still an ipod touch with a 10" screen. That is not a bad thing though. E-reader, some apps, web browser. I wouldn't pay more than 499 for it because of what it is. It belongs in the ipod touch family as the high end one.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I'm in that Best Buy crowd that returned a 16GB for 32GB and the rep said lots of people were doing the same. 16GB is rough for a media consumption device because it required constant content juggling to iTunes. The 32GB helped a lot but the lack of internal Podcast Subscriptions definitely does make this closer to being in the iPod family than a standalone device. Hopefully that gets updated in the future and Apple cuts that iTunes umbilical cord because this device definitely has everything necessary to be a standalone device.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I do? You know nothing about me. Show some maturity, and leave off the attacks and accusations.

Show me a link to a cheaper 10 inch tablet.
    It's an observation. You always take Apple's side on everything, I've noticed. No harm was intended.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It was never marketed as a laptop replacement. It's still an ipod touch with a 10" screen. That is not a bad thing though. E-reader, some apps, web browser. I wouldn't pay more than 499 for it because of what it is. It belongs in the ipod touch family as the high end one.
    But a tablet usually is meant to be a computer. There's a reason why iWork is available, and also you're able to read business documents.

11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    No offense, but have you actually used an iPad? Im just curious on why you're so disappointed in the iPad hardware. As a consumer, the sign of good hardware is when you don't care about specs. Specs only become important when you are troubleshooting as to why your apps open so slow, why the battery is 20% at noon or why scrolling stutters. And with the iPads 10hr battery, hq movie playback, snappy apps etc then this doesn't have that problem.

I can definitely acknowledge that the iPad is missing a camera and (built in) SD slot, but those are more wishlist items that dont affect normal usage. And since they say this is the same guts as the iPhone 4 (except they get twice the RAM at 512MB) then I think these devices may end up being the smoothest experience in the tech world regardless of cores or high end video.
    Yeh, I have used an iPad, I actually bought a cheap Chinese tablet to see if i would use it more than my netbook, I don't use it more, I use it for different things. But yeh, you make a very valid point...however, with better hardware, what you think is good graphics, snappy interface and hq playback, would look like a crappy step down!! I'd like a device that unleashes potential of current hardware! fully functioning multitasking and vibrant graphics in game whilst also being able to handle photoshop editing and such...this is all possible, and could have been realised if competing manufactures employed hardware available today!!

So yeh, as it is, the ipad is a pretty nice, pretty big, iphone, I seriously dont see it as a netbook alternative, sue to the restrictive OS, based on the low tech...However, with a more open linux distro, with some better dual core snapdragon'ism, I think a competitor could outshine the ipad in an instant!!

However, as the point I was trying to labour from the onset, after designing tablets around an alreadt outdated chip..with low yields and poor performance, the market is now stagnating...I would love to see some alternatives and the power they could achieve with current hardware thus putting the ipad into perspective, but as they have mostly spent hard cash on the Tegra based die's we aint gonna see a real competitior for some time...and I think that Nvidia and Apple would prefer it this way.

This frustrates me, as I think the ipad is so much less than it could be...I know I'm speaking ideologically, but in my Eden, tech companies would continually outstretch themselves, trying to prosper innovation, design and developement...for god sakes, they will get rich if they do that too!!
    For the storage onboard, I also think it's overpriced.
    Yeah it's pricey, but since you can download almost any book in PDF you want for free now days, it pays off in spades.
    I'm in that Best Buy crowd that returned a 16GB for 32GB and the rep said lots of people were doing the same. 16GB is rough for a media consumption device because it required constant content juggling to iTunes. The 32GB helped a lot but the lack of internal Podcast Subscriptions definitely does make this closer to being in the iPod family than a standalone device. Hopefully that gets updated in the future and Apple cuts that iTunes umbilical cord because this device definitely has everything necessary to be a standalone device.
    I stuck with the 16GB device, but leave my movies to real time streaming using airvideo so I don't have to store any movies on my ipad. It's the movies that chew up the space. Apps, books, and music doesn't use up much.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    I think it's simple.. it's all about the apps.

While this could be accomplished with a netbook, the elegance that Apple pulls off via the iPad is untouched.

I have the 64GB 3G version, but I could easily get by with far less memory. With the 3G and a couple nice apps, I can get to all of my office docs and can vied/edit and send to anyone with very little difficulty. (SugarSync + DocsToGO)

The simple concept of carrying a simple device like the iPad and having access to *everything* is priceless.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post

*everything*
    This is another device I just can't get my head around. I think that the iPad is a competitor to Kindle, not laptops or Netbooks. I couldn't go with the Kindle when a small laptop provides processing and light weight. I can't see going with the iPad for the same reason. The only thing the iPad has going for it is the apps or app store. But it doesn't beat a laptop or even a Netbook.

Why does anyone need to compete with it? Provide a better light weight laptop or Netbook and market the things that an iPad can't do. The ad campaign would show this great device doing something the iPad can't. It would mention a few specs such as "With 120 GB and 2GB Ram you can log into your office e-mail while listening to music and downloading your current financial transaction. The iPad can't do that, but then it wasn't meant to. Unleash the power of true mobility with the . . ."

Stop acting like people have to be slave to whatever Apple comes out with. Use true marketing to show that the iPad is just an over-sized overpriced electronic device that has access to the Apple store.
    I've never been enamored with iPad, but my wife was once she finally got to see one in person. We needed another computer (we only have a aging desktop) or at least a decent screen internet device for the bedroom.

Found someone selling a HP Mini 311 on Craiglist, and it was the upgraded Verizon version with 2GB of RAM and an Nvidia ION for $250. My wife forgot about the iPad as soon as I brought it home. 11.6 inch true HD screen. USB ports. Plenty of RAM. Real Windows 7 Premium. 160GB hard drive. Both the CPU and GPU are easily overclockable, and I can Hackintosh dual boot OSX. Webcam. Great keyboard. Endless free "apps" that murder the App Store. Easy iTunes and eReading. 4-6 hours battery life.

Apple will probably be able to deliver a similar value at a similar price point with the 3rd gen iPad. Maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I've never been enamored with iPad, but my wife was once she finally got to see one in person. We needed another computer (we only have a aging desktop) or at least a decent screen internet device for the bedroom.

Found someone selling a HP Mini 311 on Craiglist, and it was the upgraded Verizon version with 2GB of RAM and an Nvidia ION for $250. My wife forgot about the iPad as soon as I brought it home. 11.6 inch true HD screen. USB ports. Plenty of RAM. Real Windows 7 Premium. 160GB hard drive. Both the CPU and GPU are easily overclockable, and I can Hackintosh dual boot OSX. Webcam. Great keyboard. Endless free "apps" that murder the App Store. Easy iTunes and eReading. 4-6 hours battery life.

Apple will probably be able to deliver a similar value at a similar price point with the 3rd gen iPad. Maybe.
    The HP mini does not have a great keyboard. It also does not let you go almost three days without charging like my iPad does.

In addition, to do anything quick (like check my email), I need to boot up
    Last edited by mobileman; 06/20/2010 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    The HP mini does not have a great keyboard. It also does not let you go almost three days without charging like my iPad does.

In addition, to do anything quick (like check my email), I need to boot up
    Wow...I can go three days without charging. That"ll come in handy for all of those times I need a computer, but am three days away from power of any sort.

Which is never. On the other hand, I can have access to a full fledge keyboard, mouse, printer, and monitor at will. No need to buy "docks" or other nonsense. No need to hope they're networked.

Also, boot up? I leave computers that I need to access regularly on, just as we do our smartphones. I open the lid and hit a button. Done.

Here's the funny thing. None of this makes the HP Mini 311 a better machine, objectively speaking. Just makes it a better machine...for ME. It is objectively a much more capable machine. But it's not better for everybody.
    Based on some reports then the iPad only costs $270 to make so they're definitely making a healthy profit on it.
    Ofcourse these reports never mention the hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D costs in took apple to create the iPhone and the iPad. Apple needs to recoup those costs too.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast