Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    >>90 % apple users are misinformed and are not informedon other options available. It's popular, it's expensive... It must be the best.>>

Oh, bite me. Typical arrogant phone user who is trying to make himself feel better about his platform-of-choice.

Can you just accept that different phones are for different people?

People (for whom ATT is an option or a requirement) that want a streamlined smart phone experience that doesn't have a lot of customization and pretty pictures on the front should get an iphone. I despised my time with our Pre, not because I think the phone soundly sucks (although there are some incredibly sucky parts of it) but because I spent SO MUCH time trying to get it to do what our Centro could do.

It was a total timesuck.

Other people, maybe with a different carrier, might prefer to mess around with their phone, and make it do things different from stock. Takes them more time, but more amusing to them. Much in the same way some people prefer a boombox (easy, portable) to an extensive audio system (great music, but learning curve).

Quit trying to define and describe yourself, and by the way, other users, by absolutely stupid things like a phone platform choice. It's pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    iOS 4 was never required for that. You can download podcasts directly from the iTunes store built into every iPhone. It has always been able to download and play in the background while doing other things. So you're saying you need a third party app to get podcasts?
    What about non iTunes podcats (IE RSS downloads). I am guessing browser downloads can happen in the background too?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    What about non iTunes podcats (IE RSS downloads). I am guessing browser downloads can happen in the background too?
    That is kinda sorta a fair question. If I understand the question, I think the answer is maybe. It depends on if the podcast plays within the browser, or opens the media player. If it stays in the browser, you can put the screen to sleep and it will still play. But if you go to another program, the browser, along with your podcast, will close. If it opens the media player, it will play in the background.

The reason I hesitate is because it is an extremely fringe scenario. There just aren't that many podcasts that play on the web but do not have an iTunes link. You can usually select the iTunes version right from the page, then, boom, background. For the most part, on the iPhone, backgrounding is a solution in search of a problem. I admit there are some things that will benefit from backgrounding such as GPS and saved state games.

As for Pandora, that is kind of a tech niche. I don't know anyone who even knows what Pandora is except for the people I have shared it with. The music people listen to on iDevices already runs in the background. Pandora is more of a thing when you don't already have a good native music option on your device.

Even so, you kind of have to go out of your way to craft a real-world scenario where a normal person using iOS4 will need more multi-tasking than what is provided. As far as card view, let's not get too cocky about that lest we forget what "inspired" it. Apple would have been perfectly within their rights to use it for their MT interface and accurately claim that it is a natural evolution of the card view in mobile Safari since day 1. They didn't, and the UI suffers a bit for it. The fact that Palm got away with it, doesn't make it innovative. They tugged on Superman's cape. I wouldn't make too much noise about that if I were Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    >>90 % apple users are misinformed and are not informedon other options available. It's popular, it's expensive... It must be the best.>>

Oh, bite me. Typical arrogant phone user who is trying to make himself feel better about his platform-of-choice.

Can you just accept that different phones are for different people?

People (for whom ATT is an option or a requirement) that want a streamlined smart phone experience that doesn't have a lot of customization and pretty pictures on the front should get an iphone. I despised my time with our Pre, not because I think the phone soundly sucks (although there are some incredibly sucky parts of it) but because I spent SO MUCH time trying to get it to do what our Centro could do.

It was a total timesuck.

Other people, maybe with a different carrier, might prefer to mess around with their phone, and make it do things different from stock. Takes them more time, but more amusing to them. Much in the same way some people prefer a boombox (easy, portable) to an extensive audio system (great music, but learning curve).

Quit trying to define and describe yourself, and by the way, other users, by absolutely stupid things like a phone platform choice. It's pathetic.
    drama ... Instead of sticking to the topic_ you pick the one thing I say seperates webos users from iphone users and take offence. In somany words... You say iphone users like their phone out of box. I say webos users want to customize...remove unwanted features and add ones they want LEGALLY. So... If I say iphone users are like sheep... It's because yhey want something packaged for them and are ok with limited options in phone and carrier...and are ok with being controlled. I have no problem accepting that. imy opinion is that palm / webos is better for m because, in my opinion, webos is the better OS and all of the options I get are what I want and need!

***! Main topic..... Who does multitasking better?
    This thread is not a debate about MT in IOS4 and webOS. It's pretty much a place for prehuggers to poke fun at the iphone's multitasking while being defensive about their product and pretty much downplaying or attacking anything that is pro iphone. And the iphone is only popular because all of their owners are brainwashed lemmings that don't know $hat from shineola Not that the hardware has been refined over a few generations, the firmware solidified, the app store exploded, and now more incremental change with multitasking that should satisfy many of the masses that don't care about remote controlling some download via bluetooth in the background while responding to an email and playing doodle jump. And that's not mentioning a screen that should be as sharp as all get out with some solid internals to boot. The gui might be getting a little dated, but it's smooth and fast and just works. Now that people can do a lot of the basics simultaneously, it'll appeal to a wider audience. It doesn't matter if webOS's "true" multitasking or open and active multitasking is better. What matters is it's good enough to satisfy the needs of many which is all it has to do. Everyone bashing iOS4 in this thread are pretty much a minority and Apple could care less about trying to attract you. Your minority is but a blip on the radar when it comes to sales. Why did VHS and Blu-Ray win? It had the support of the majority. Sony and Toshiba didn't stand a chance. Did it mean VHS and Blu-Ray are bad products and people that use them are a bunch of misinformed lemmings? I don't think so.

So you can bash it all you want. You can call it inferior, flawed and what not, but the bottom line is, if you take out the webOS does it better argument, you've got nothin'. Poor marketing, lackluster hardware, and an OS that needs to be patched to really appeal to the masses is not the way to go into battle.

And one can sing the praises of homebrew till the cows come home. On webOS, homebrew is more of a need where jailbreaking on the iphone is more of a want.

disclaimer: I do not own or care to own an iphone and will never have itunes on my computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    my opinion... 90 % apple users are misinformed and are not informedon other options available. It's popular, it's expensive... It must be the best.
    this post is debating ios4 multitasking capabilities. Most here feel that webos does MT better. It is the iphone users here that feel webos users are wrong. So... Webos users are asking them to prove why ios4 mt is better than webos. I am still waiting to hear why those think ios4 new mt is better than webos 1.4.1
    thanks
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    @crogs -
    1st gen webos phone... Patching is a need.. and very welcomed at that. We a\shall see how HP handles homebrew when the time comes. We shall also see what WEBOS 2.0 on fresh hardware will bring. A struggling, innovative company merged with the biggest IT corporation on this planet. HMMMM.... think the quality may improve.... and the experience as well... I DO!
    Cards and Gestures my friends... PURE Genius!
    I could care less how much apple sells... people buy anything in this country if marketed well. Not to discredit the iphones quality. Most people in these forums are debating what works better. What is Genius. WHat wil be the future? Will it continue to be dominated by IOS... or open Source WEBOS, Android?
    Ubiquitous computing, Open Source, HP, WEBOS... Im sold.
    All of this can still coming crashing down if the purchase fails. If it does, it will be a shame , not only to the WEBOS community, but to the future of smartphone competition. But if it goes through... the new improved WEBOS Devices that have been in the Pipeline for over a year now... will be very impressive. If that fails to materialize...I will be the first to admit it.

Palm/ webos = FREEEDDDDOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jobs/APPLE = CONTROL
    APPLE
    @crogs -

Palm/ webos = FREEEDDDDOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Freedom from what? The direction smartphones have been heading in for the past year?
    How about talking on the phone while looking at the map? That's way cooler and better than having your conversation interrupted and I do it every day on my Pre.

It may be possible on iOS, not sure, but they don't show it here...
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    that's will not be on the new iphone 4g ...that video is so old ..
    The new iPhone will handle "multitasking" the same lame way. Where you can only see one app at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'll take a less "convenient" way of multitasking mixed with a blazing fast OS that can launch applications in the milliseconds, an app store that is in abundance of great quality applications versus a buggy device that requires consistent returns, laggy software and an app store that leaves much to be desired.

If all you can loathe about is how a device multitasks ... well then, more power to you. Just remember, your average mobile user doesn't care about multitasking. I'd easily bet on the statistic of over 50% of future iPhone owners will never use the multitasking ability of the iPhone.
    Yeah if my phone multitasked the same way the iPhone will I wouldn't use it either. Anyone who uses webOS multitasks because that is how the platform is designed. Those who claim not to multitask 1. Do not have a phone that does it and 2. Do not realize how much of a convenience it is.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Freedom from what? The direction smartphones have been heading in for the past year?
    Freedom to let your phone do what you want it to do when you want it to do it, instead of having to close one program before running another one.

Apple customers are so brainwashed. A woman asked me (I work at an electronics store) where the "iTouch"es were. I replied back, "the mp3 player?" She said, no, the iPhone that....the music player"

Clutch....you can't compare potential to actual. Why even bother? It's fruitless. IOS4 is available for download now. webOS 2.0 is still fiction. Heck, webOS 1.5 is still fiction, and even when it's available it'll still be on the same old hardware (most likely).

And homebrew isn't for the 1st gen hardware it's for the software which is nearing gen 1.5. So many of the patches are things that could easily be incorporated into the stock OS, should have been incorporated but haven't been. You should be needing less patches as the OS evolves, not more.

And no they're not debating the future and what is better in this thread. They're just calling ios crap and bashing iphone users. This hasn't been a debate for awhile. And the question of better is relative. Better to who? A bunch of geeks on a forum or the masses. You could care less how many iphones are sold, but developers care. accessory mfgs care. AT&T cares. Verizon cares (well would like to care...haha). Everyone involved trying to turn a profit cares. Which is my point. You and everyone here are insignificant when it comes to what sells. The openness of multitasking on webOS might be better than iOS in "theory", but reality is that the iOS way is most likely good enough for what the masses want to do.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    really? Palm did everything in house. Obviuosly, they did not have the founds to get the whole picture right at launch. as marketing /tiing etc failed... they continued to improve WEBOS with updates. So far.. it looks like it paid off. HP doubled down and is Paying 1.4 billion for it.
    Looks like they are heading in the right direction. They will still be handling every thing in house( an Advantage over ANDROID), and they will have the massive scale and the future vision that HP has been leaking.

Post something of substance. My pre OCed 2 800mhz with new improved kernal, no TMC's.... Is still an impressive phone.... over a year old. WHY ? WEBOS.
    I think there is a world cup soccer game on. I will check that out for free on Sprint Live TV espn3... While waiting for my wife to finish buying groceries. I have a fully charged spare battery if I need it.
    Sounds like jealousy. the "i" name is a household word. Like back in the day, people didn't ask if someone had a tissue, they asked if they had a kleenex. They asked for a brand name, not what it actually was. Sounds like good marketing to me. And if so many of your friends have one, they might as well get the same thing. They're not brainwashed, they're victim of poor marketing by Apple's competitors. Jobs/Apple/whoever saw a glaring hole in the market and filled it. They did it with media players. They did it with phones. Fortunately phones get a bit more pub than media players since there are really only four carriers selling phones (not counting regionals) and only one selling the iphone. Fortunate for the competition that is.

So sorry, if you can't appreciate what the iphone is and has become, you have very limited credibility in expressing a valid opinion, especially if blanket statements keep getting made about brainwashed owners and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post

Apple customers are so brainwashed. A woman asked me (I work at an electronics store) where the "iTouch"es were. I replied back, "the mp3 player?" She said, no, the iPhone that....the music player"
    ![/url]
    Why? Homebrew...not webOS, not Palm but the users. If it weren't for homebrew, many wouldn't be here now. You haven't posted anything of substance. All you talk about are dreams of the future which have no relevance to this thread.
    Post something of substance. My pre OCed 2 800mhz with new improved kernal, no TMC's.... Is still an impressive phone.... over a year old. WHY ? WEBOS.
    Obviously it would be incorrect for me to say that all Apple customers are brainwashed. But there are a heck of a lot of them who want their products and do not even know why, other than the fact that their friends have them. Sure there are good reasons and many well developed and amazing features in Apple products, who in their right mind would argue that?

I just wished that more people would research what they were buying to see what really works best. But then again, most people do not care. Most people do not use their devices at anywhere near it's potential.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    this post is debating ios4 multitasking capabilities. Most here feel that webos does MT better. It is the iphone users here that feel webos users are wrong. So... Webos users are asking them to prove why ios4 mt is better than webos. I am still waiting to hear why those think ios4 new mt is better than webos 1.4.1
    Maybe I missed it but who exactly is saying iOS MT is better than WebOS? I think the general consensus in the tech industry (media as well as Pre users) have no problem saying Palm absolutely nailed MT. Praise for iOS MT is based on the fact that it's a long awaited feature (like copy/paste) that only makes the iPhone better than it used to be.

The problem people have are 1) One great feature doesn't compensate for all the missing ones, 2) Why does someone who has no intention on ever buying an iPhone care this much about how the iPhone works?
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Clutch....you can't compare potential to actual. Why even bother? It's fruitless. IOS4 is available for download now. webOS 2.0 is still fiction. Heck, webOS 1.5 is still fiction, and even when it's available it'll still be on the same old hardware (most likely).

And homebrew isn't for the 1st gen hardware it's for the software which is nearing gen 1.5. So many of the patches are things that could easily be incorporated into the stock OS, should have been incorporated but haven't been. You should be needing less patches as the OS evolves, not more.

And no they're not debating the future and what is better in this thread. They're just calling ios crap and bashing iphone users. This hasn't been a debate for awhile. And the question of better is relative. Better to who? A bunch of geeks on a forum or the masses. You could care less how many iphones are sold, but developers care. accessory mfgs care. AT&T cares. Verizon cares (well would like to care...haha). Everyone involved trying to turn a profit cares. Which is my point. You and everyone here are insignificant when it comes to what sells. The openness of multitasking on webOS might be better than iOS in "theory", but reality is that the iOS way is most likely good enough for what the masses want to do.
    Very well said. I understand. Bashing for the sake of bashing sucks in any form. I honestly love the elegance of WEBOS gestures and Cards and feel it handles multitasking very well. New Compache Overclock patch by unixpsycho works flawlessly on my old *** pre minus.
    Iphone lovers have every right to defend their favorite phones. If they want to support Steve Jobs and his mission to control everything he possibly can... more power to them. I despise the man. I have researched his history. The fact they canned his ***... and as they were he was pulling one poer move after another.. until he lost control... I would have paid big $$$ to escort his *** out of the building...personally. what a ****!
    So, with that said, I due respect the quality of Iphone. I respect the R and D that they have done to make the overall out of the box experience the best on the market. I am very impressed with the Jailbreak community. The level of sophistication is also top notch. I just can not and will not every contribute a dime that that ***** Steve Jobs.
    I fell in love with WEBOS. I know I am rooting for the underdog... But i honestly believe Hpalm has the ingredients to change the game. Palms award winning innovation combined with HP scale and $$$... we shall see.
    I feel these forums are a special place where we can speculate abiut the future, debate opinions, and celebrate advancements in technology that most of us here really care about. In 6 months... we will all still remember these posts and we will see How WEBOS stacks up.
    Thanks again Crogs for an excellent break down of the situation, backed with honest, unbiased facts.
    Urkel said it, no one is really questioning which is better. From a pure functional point of view, webOS has multitasking down cold. I like webOS. I still own my Pre and Pixi and look forward to updating and seeing how things progress. I use the Evo and am happy for now though. I would like to see webOS succeed. It's somewhat unique and has a lot of potential. I'm not an iphone fan, and I will never own one. But I give it its props for the reasons I mentioned above. You could pretty much sum up the title of this thread in about four or five posts, but it turned into 8 pages of iphone and iowner bashing along with webOS evangelism.

I used to think this forum was a special place, but the huge prehugging movement (like what this thread turned into) is just killing it. Every time I come on here now I feel like I entered the iLounge for webOS. Anything negative or critical gets met with extreme defensiveness. Anything pro competition gets met with pure bashing to the point mods join in and create prehugging threads. Maybe treocentral was just more fun because people were back and forth with two different OS's even if they were in one camp or the other. Now it's down to one and the claws come out.
    Very well said. I understand. Bashing for the sake of bashing sucks in any form. I honestly love the elegance of WEBOS gestures and Cards and feel it handles multitasking very well. New Compache Overclock patch by unixpsycho works flawlessly on my old *** pre minus.
    Iphone lovers have every right to defend their favorite phones. If they want to support Steve Jobs and his mission to control everything he possibly can... more power to them. I despise the man. I have researched his history. The fact they canned his ***... and as they were he was pulling one poer move after another.. until he lost control... I would have paid big $$$ to escort his *** out of the building...personally. what a ****!
    So, with that said, I due respect the quality of Iphone. I respect the R and D that they have done to make the overall out of the box experience the best on the market. I am very impressed with the Jailbreak community. The level of sophistication is also top notch. I just can not and will not every contribute a dime that that ***** Steve Jobs.
    I fell in love with WEBOS. I know I am rooting for the underdog... But i honestly believe Hpalm has the ingredients to change the game. Palms award winning innovation combined with HP scale and $$$... we shall see.
    I feel these forums are a special place where we can speculate abiut the future, debate opinions, and celebrate advancements in technology that most of us here really care about. In 6 months... we will all still remember these posts and we will see How WEBOS stacks up.
    Thanks again Crogs for an excellent break down of the situation, backed with honest, unbiased facts.
    You do realize that when Steve Jobs took over Apple in 1996 after having left, Apple was only months away from closing up shop. Call Steve what you want, but he is the CEO that every company desires. He pulled Apple out of the trenches and turned it into what it is today.

Love him or hate him, you still have to appreciate what he has done and continues to do; you don't have to share the same principles as the man to appreciate his level of devotion in his product(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Why? Homebrew...not webOS, not Palm but the users. If it weren't for homebrew, many wouldn't be here now. You haven't posted anything of substance. All you talk about are dreams of the future which have no relevance to this thread.
    CORRECTION- WEBOS 1.4.1 running Legal but warranty voiding OC patch provided by Homebrew that Palm openly credits and respects.

Way to contradict yourself and generalize with "All you talk about". I pose questions. I post factual links... and yes I dream and anticipate.
    ALL, never, always , words you cant get away with even your closest relationships... Let alone a stranger on a thread.
    Dreams/ speculation/ anticipation. Tell me if im wrong... But isnt that why many are tuning into this site these days? To see what is to come?
    So yeah...Im dreaming.... and i will keep on doing so... checking everyday for news on the future of webos
    yep. He maybe be a control freak squared, but he resurrected a dying company. It's funny they were David trying to slay evil Goliath, and they've become the very thing they were trying to slay.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast