Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 172
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    I think most major cities have wifi that's not gonna be a big deal
    I don't think most major cities have free wifi...
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    If most people don't care about multitasking, then why are all the major companies integrating it into their operating systems?
    Most people don't care about multitasking. Don't believe me? Go look at the sales figures of iPhone 3GS vs the Pre (plus), Pixi (plus), and all Android combined. I bet that Apple bested that on launch day. Why? Because most of the time, most phone users don't need more than 1 app at once. The only time it's nice to multitask that I can personally think of is when driving and trying to use Nav and Pandora at the same time. The vast majority of the time, I use one app at a time. The reason Apple finally gave us multitasking was to appease all of those people who need simple, basic multitasking capabilities. So they can run Pandora and Nav at the same time. And for that purpose, Apple's multitasking support works very well. And when you add that to Apple's reliability and quality, you have a winning device that a vastly sub-par device with a superior OS, like the Pre, simply can't beat in the market place. And the only thing that made WebOS superior to Apple was multitasking. Now that Apple has it, WebOS has absolutely nothing to stand on, even though arguably, WebOS does multitasking better.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    I think most major cities have wifi that's not gonna be a big deal
    thats great for the most major cities, i live in miami so the only places where wifi is in existence in public places is starbucks (if ur an at&t customer), schools and sometimes work, but other places like airports u prolly do have to pay. anyways if i had the choice of using the evo or the iphone 4 knowing that the iphone 4 works on wifi only. id rather use the evo mainly bc it uses its video chat feature on 3G also
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    Most people don't care about multitasking. Don't believe me? Go look at the sales figures of iPhone 3GS vs the Pre (plus), Pixi (plus), and all Android combined. I bet that Apple bested that on launch day. Why? Because most of the time, most phone users don't need more than 1 app at once. The only time it's nice to multitask that I can personally think of is when driving and trying to use Nav and Pandora at the same time. The vast majority of the time, I use one app at a time. The reason Apple finally gave us multitasking was to appease all of those people who need simple, basic multitasking capabilities. So they can run Pandora and Nav at the same time. And for that purpose, Apple's multitasking support works very well. And when you add that to Apple's reliability and quality, you have a winning device that a vastly sub-par device with a superior OS, like the Pre, simply can't beat in the market place. And the only thing that made WebOS superior to Apple was multitasking. Now that Apple has it, WebOS has absolutely nothing to stand on, even though arguably, WebOS does multitasking better.
    i think multitasking is very important, when i first got my pre and got started with multitasking, i was so amazed. all my friends that have the iphone dont really understand how multitasking works but when they saw how iOS4 works, they were amazed bc they have never multi-tasked and of course bc its something (new) that they have never done they think its the coolest thing in the world and think that apple is the best which isnt entirely true. I have showed my friends the differences bc how notifications + multitasking bests iOS4 and they were completely silent hence making a new conversation. so anyways its all by opinion and choice in reality. i even asked my gf which is an apple maniac; what if the new iphone 4 that includes "multitasking" would come to sprint, would u drop ur pre or would u stay with ur pre till the next pre comes out, and she said she'll stick with her pre. she cant stand how notifications work on the iphone and just loves the way webOS (cards) multitasks
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  5. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Ok, I'm glad you clarified your point. What you say does actually make sense. Apple makes it's money from selling simple things to simple people. Sadly, there are a ton of simple people out there who are incapable of doing more than one thing at a time.

    I'm beginning to remember why I have no faith in people. Sometimes I wish I was "simple" too lol
    Please explain what it is that makes you "complex" because the way you generalize people makes you seem as basic as they come.

    This notion that WebOS users are "power users" doesn't really make sense because, in comparison to the competition, the platform is lacking in every category except multitasking. And in today's market then that advantage gap has been closed enough that it no longer is enough to distinguish WebOS to be good enough for both "basic" and advanced users. I'm not saying WebOS sucks because it doesn't. But at this point then riding the Multitasking pony or all this demeaning of users for not being "enlightened" enough to choose an outdated product is misguided. Rather than focusing all this bitterness on people for not thinking the way you do then why not consider what it is on their platform that makes it so appealing. It's not kkol-aid or snazzy slogans that's wins people over. Its a product that dellivers beyond peoples preconceptions. iPhone/android users aren't nearly as unhappy as people think just because they get an ugly notification popup or don't have synergy.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Please explain what it is that makes you "complex" because the way you generalize people makes you seem as basic as they come.

    This notion that WebOS users are "power users" doesn't really make sense because, in comparison to the competition, the platform is lacking in every category except multitasking. And in today's market then that advantage gap has been closed enough that it no longer is enough to distinguish WebOS to be good enough for both "basic" and advanced users. I'm not saying WebOS sucks because it doesn't. But at this point then riding the Multitasking pony or all this demeaning of users for not being "enlightened" enough to choose an outdated product is misguided. Rather than focusing all this bitterness on people for not thinking the way you do then why not consider what it is on their platform that makes it so appealing. It's not kkol-aid or snazzy slogans that's wins people over. Its a product that dellivers beyond peoples preconceptions. iPhone/android users aren't nearly as unhappy as people think just because they get an ugly notification popup or don't have synergy.
    A lot of people are pretty easily to generalize. Do you not agree that a lot of people will do anything they can to fit in to the group they hang out with? Or who they think is "cool"?

    I'm not here to say which phone or OS is better; They all have strengths and weaknesses. It all comes down to personal opinion (or lack of).
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    A lot of people are pretty easily to generalize. Do you not agree that a lot of people will do anything they can to fit in to the group they hang out with? Or who they think is "cool"?

    I'm not here to say which phone or OS is better; They all have strengths and weaknesses. It all comes down to personal opinion (or lack of).
    agreed
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    A lot of people are pretty easily to generalize. Do you not agree that a lot of people will do anything they can to fit in to the group they hang out with? Or who they think is "cool"?

    I'm not here to say which phone or OS is better; They all have strengths and weaknesses. It all comes down to personal opinion (or lack of).
    On the flip side though, what's so wrong about getting a phone to join your friends in the fun? It's not as if two people can get a Pre to enjoy something like Facetime (or any video conferencing) or any of the other cool applications that allow you to share many different enjoyments with your friends and family.

    It's difficult (for me at least) to defend something like the Pre when it's so incapable of many different things in comparison.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    On the flip side though, what's so wrong about getting a phone to join your friends in the fun? It's not as if two people can get a Pre to enjoy something like Facetime (or any video conferencing) or any of the other cool applications that allow you to share many different enjoyments with your friends and family.

    It's difficult (for me at least) to defend something like the Pre when it's so incapable of many different things in comparison.
    I never said there was anything wrong with it. I was just stating that a lot of people are rather simple-minded.

    I like to defend the Pre as much as I can... It's a great OS. With all the competetors coming out with cool new features and hardware, I feel like I'm running out of ammo. I still have hope that WebOS will eventually become more popular and prominent in the smartphone market. We just need more features... I hope HP accelerates WebOS development.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I never said there was anything wrong with it. I was just stating that a lot of people are rather simple-minded.

    I like to defend the Pre as much as I can... It's a great OS. With all the competetors coming out with cool new features and hardware, I feel like I'm running out of ammo. I still have hope that WebOS will eventually become more popular and prominent in the smartphone market. We just need more features... I hope HP accelerates WebOS development.
    i effin hope so too, i defend my phone like crazy in the wild, so we'll c wut the future holds
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  11. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    A lot of people are pretty easily to generalize. Do you not agree that a lot of people will do anything they can to fit in to the group they hang out with? Or who they think is "cool"?
    Sure. It's the same thing for people who rally behind an underdog product simply so they can buck the trend. Either way, this is a misguided way for people to find identity through things they have NOTHING to do with creating.

    You are all over this thread claiming how people who buy the "popular" products are more simplistic or less of a power user but when a product does get this much market share then not everyone is choosing based on "cool". There's a point where people are choosing based on what it does.

    And as Barkaja said, having more people in a products user base gives them more interactivity. Just like Cell carriers entice people to use their product so they can make free calls within the network, many iPhone apps offer a higher user experience because they can interact within games (multiplayer), communication (Text Apps, Face Time) and simple friend recommendations. The negativity that people hold on others for using a "popular" brand is wrong because it misses the fact that there are benefits to having a community. And in no way does that make them "simple" or you "advanced".
  12. #72  
    I support WebOS because I like it... Not because I want to buck the trend. When I end up buying a new phone, I will get the one that I like. Branding doesn't matter to me; I will buy a phone that fits my needs best.

    I never said all people who buy the "popular" things are simple. I said that a lot of simple people just buy things based on popularity (or to feel cool). There are many other people who buy things based on what they need.

    I haven't said anything negative about Android or the iphone in this thread. They are both doing pretty well, so therefore they must be doing something right.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That's sometimes the case, but not always. You primarily have people buying the iPhone because they see everything it's capable of doing through third party applications. Everyone and their mother has an app for the iPhone; every major company, website, product, etc. has an app that lets you do "cool things". That's what drives people.

    Now, with features like Facetime, that will be one more ticket to lure people in "did you see the new iPhone?! We can video chat while we're apart, HOW COOL IS THAT?!"

    You see where I'm going with this? :| So it's not always about "being cool" but more or less being a part of the "fun".
    BZZZZZT!!! Wrong. Sorry bub, that is the most assinine post I've seen today. iPhone 1.0 was BARELY more than phone call making iPod (see link in my sig for a refresher) and all the "iSheeple" flocked to it anyway.

    Sooo, your argument has "0" merit unfortunately due to the fact there were NO APPS AT ALL the first year and it was missing 40% of the common features found on other phones. (And the iSheeple said "they weren't important"

    That was Jobs most effective use of RDF ever...
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    BZZZZZT!!! Wrong. Sorry bub, that is the most assinine post I've seen today. iPhone 1.0 was BARELY more than phone call making iPod (see link in my sig for a refresher) and all the "iSheeple" flocked to it anyway.

    Sooo, your argument has "0" merit unfortunately due to the fact there were NO APPS AT ALL the first year and it was missing 40% of the common features found on other phones. (And the iSheeple said "they weren't important"

    That was Jobs most effective use of RDF ever...
    Stop talking about that. It isn't even relevant. That was 3 years ago. Lets talk about now, and whats going on now. The past is the past for a reason.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    BZZZZZT!!! Wrong. Sorry bub, that is the most assinine post I've seen today. iPhone 1.0 was BARELY more than phone call making iPod (see link in my sig for a refresher) and all the "iSheeple" flocked to it anyway.

    Sooo, your argument has "0" merit unfortunately due to the fact there were NO APPS AT ALL the first year and it was missing 40% of the common features found on other phones. (And the iSheeple said "they weren't important"

    That was Jobs most effective use of RDF ever...
    Ever think that people might have bought the original iPhone because it had a revolutionary interface and best-in-class media capabilties? Or maybe because it offered a desktop-class web browser in a market dominated by things like Opera Mini and Mobile IE?
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    You are all over this thread claiming how people who buy the "popular" products are more simplistic or less of a power user but when a product does get this much market share then not everyone is choosing based on "cool". There's a point where people are choosing based on what it does.
    Disagree. See my previous post above. iPhone was an "instant hit" due to market prevalence because of the iPod. Jobs announces crApple is releasing an "iPod that makes calls" available in storage sizes considered "upgrades" for early iPod owners and it was a no brainer. There were several million iPods in the wild at that time so....instant hit.

    No iPod, iphone is distant 3rd at best. Let remember the PC market on this one.
  17. VKitty's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    this is true iphone multitasking

    This looks almost like WebOS card view, but in sort of the Pre Notification area.

    You can see all the APPs running in the background,(kinda in a left right scrolling card view) and select the one you want.

    They have folders in the app screen (looks kinda like the pre launcher screen) now with folders (which I dont believe the pre has yet)


    That video was very compelling..Did they take WebOS and just make it Apple?
  18. #78  
    Witness iOS4 fail at multitasking in all it's glory....

    Pandora "stopping" during an app switch.


    (before the api update at WWDC)

    They better hope all those devs do the updates or they'll have major fail on their hands. (Oh wait, no they won't, they will come up with some reason to say it's great)
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    iPhone 1.0, despite being this limited single-handedly killed Palm's smartphone/PDA business that had dominated the industry for a decade. They must have done something right.
    They DID....they sold IPODS! Both Creative AND Archos had comparable digital players (that were not format locked either) but they were not "oooh shiny" like the iPod. Couple that with 800 gazillion "silhouette" add everywhere (and i do mean everywhere) and even if you didn't care about digital music (unlikely after Napster brought it mainstream) you'd be asking your self what all these bright florescent adds are all about and what is an "iPod"

    As a graphic design\advertising student, I can appreciate Apples marketing (and marketing budget) dominance. But in either case, Apple did NOT have the superior functioning product, they had the "shiniest", best marketed one.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Witness iOS4 fail at multitasking in all it's glory....

    Pandora "stopping" during an app switch.


    (before the api update at WWDC)

    They better hope all those devs do the updates or they'll have major fail on their hands. (Oh wait, no they won't, they will come up with some reason to say it's great)
    You're not really using an application that hasn't been updated to take advantage of iOS 4's background streaming audio service as an example, are you? Because that seems pretty desperate.

    FYI, several apps that have been updated to take advantage of iOS 4 multitasking have already hit the App Store -- days before iOS 4 is generally available.

Posting Permissions