Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 172
  1. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Ironic though that the OP is focused on an app that webOS won't get anytime soon if ever. Sprint's nav is a joke. AT&T's is too costly. Verizon's Pre's gps doesn't even work right.
    It's not ironic. Multitasking non-existing future apps is more important than single-tasking ones available right now. Didn't you get the WebOS manual?
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Well first, the way Apple has designed multitasking is both great and not-so-great. It's great because it really does minimize battery usage. They've developed six (it might be seven?) services that an application can make use of to perform basic background tasks; whether it be audio, navigation, etc. This is a good thing because they have designed this in a way that has little to no impact on the phones resources or battery.

    Apple also has a strict policy on application, when an application is developed and submitted to Apple they ensure that the application adheres to all policies and that it's not detrimental to the device (aka: destroying it by unnecessary background usage).

    On the flip side, this isn't TRUE multitasking, but it serves the needs very well *only a true diehard tech nut will complain (see [url= - iPhone multitasking and background updating[/url]).

    Now, with WebOS .. typically when you "swipe up" to close an application, yes it closes, but it doesn't always free its resources that it was using (hence the often-had TMC error). Not to mention if an application is setup for notifications, then it will periodically spawn in the background (even if you've never opened it.. THIS is a huge battery drainer).

    P.S. Sorry for a not a very-well structured post, in a hurry and typed this on the iPad. :P
    I'm afraid that your complete lack of specifics in your reply makes your post redundant. All your post does is serve to display that you have watched an iphone promotional video and took the claimed benefits as fact without questioning why and how they are better.
    There will still be an impact on battery life as a result of the 'multitasking' on the ios4, that is simple to understand. And due to human nature, the fact that the apps are difficult to close means that people will not bother to close them, hence leading to further battery drain.

    Notifications and background polling are features that can be disabled if desired, so that is not relevant, it will count to any device.
    If you can't provide any specific webOS apps that run unwanted background processes then your point is again irelevant.
    Last edited by pip smith; 06/19/2010 at 03:56 PM.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'll take a less "convenient" way of multitasking mixed with a blazing fast OS that can launch applications in the milliseconds, an app store that is in abundance of great quality applications versus a buggy device that requires consistent returns, laggy software and an app store that leaves much to be desired.

    If all you can loathe about is how a device multitasks ... well then, more power to you. Just remember, your average mobile user doesn't care about multitasking. I'd easily bet on the statistic of over 50% of future iPhone owners will never use the multitasking ability of the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Well first, the way Apple has designed multitasking is both great and not-so-great. It's great because it really does minimize battery usage. They've developed six (it might be seven?) services that an application can make use of to perform basic background tasks; whether it be audio, navigation, etc. This is a good thing because they have designed this in a way that has little to no impact on the phones resources or battery.

    Apple also has a strict policy on application, when an application is developed and submitted to Apple they ensure that the application adheres to all policies and that it's not detrimental to the device (aka: destroying it by unnecessary background usage).

    On the flip side, this isn't TRUE multitasking, but it serves the needs very well –*only a true diehard tech nut will complain (see Marco.org - iPhone multitasking and background updating).

    Now, with WebOS .. typically when you "swipe up" to close an application, yes it closes, but it doesn't always free its resources that it was using (hence the often-had TMC error). Not to mention if an application is setup for notifications, then it will periodically spawn in the background (even if you've never opened it.. THIS is a huge battery drainer).

    P.S. Sorry for a not a very-well structured post, in a hurry and typed this on the iPad. :P
    in my opinion, id rather have the multitasking that webOS has to iOS4 has. Battery life to me is gonna be $h!t anyways and im used to it, at least i can swap it. Maybe the iphone needs the non (real multitasking) battery killer more bc they cant swap it eh
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  4. #24  
    this is true iphone multitasking
  5. #25  
    and about the battery thing this video shows how the new iphone battery is bigger with 40% more talk time.. skip the video up to 4:30 YouTube - Apple's Channel
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    this is true iphone multitasking
    ru kidding bc its the same thing we've been talking about
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    Not impressed. Matter a fact......Multitaking? REALLY?? WHAT TOOK YA SO LONG STEVE?
    this dude has nothing to do with iphone... and in a few weeks that phone will be the old iphone 3gs
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    ru kidding bc its the same thing we've been talking about
    not with the sliding dock
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    not with the sliding dock
    its the same thing, ur just sliding icons and it has to do with specific services running in the background. i dont know maybe it is (true multitasking) if u think it is, everyone has their own opinion. my opinion webOS still rules bc of notifications and the visual multitasking (cards) that it has. so yeah
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  10. #30  
    i would have to admit. the iOS4 multitasking is way better than android visually that ive seen. bc android u just c the (icons) in the middle of the screen and iOS4 its a (sliding dock) of (icons), so i give props to apple for that. but it no way is iOS4 better than webOS bc of cards. my opinion of course
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    its the same thing, ur just sliding icons and it has to do with specific services running in the background. i dont know maybe it is (true multitasking) if u think it is, everyone has their own opinion. my opinion webOS still rules bc of notifications and the visual multitasking (cards) that it has. so yeah
    notifications lol most ppl cant taalk and chew gum at the same time and the probally wont care about multi-tasking im jus giving u the heads up the phone in that video will be old in the up coming weeks, months...
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    notifications lol most ppl cant taalk and chew gum at the same time and the probally wont care about multi-tasking im jus giving u the heads up the phone in that video will be old in the up coming weeks, months...
    well of course, with new phones every 3-6 months the iphone 4 will be an old rat by then lol
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  13. #33  
    If most people don't care about multitasking, then why are all the major companies integrating it into their operating systems?
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I'm afraid that your complete lack of specifics in your reply makes your post redundant. All your post does is serve to display that you have watched an iphone promotional video and took the claimed benefits as fact without questioning why and how they are better.
    There will still be an impact on battery life as a result of the 'multitasking' on the ios4, that is simple to understand. And due to human nature, the fact that the apps are difficult to close means that people will not bother to close them, hence leading to further battery drain.

    Notifications and background polling are features that can be disabled if desired, so that is not relevant, it will count to any device.
    If you can't provide any specific webOS apps that run unwanted background processes then your point is again irelevant.
    LOL @ you.
  15. #35  
    In what cases is ios4's multitasking not efficient enough? (not bringing up notifications, webos is better there for sure)

    If the battery is anywhere close to what apple says its amazing.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    If most people don't care about multitasking, then why are all the major companies integrating it into their operating systems?
    Why? Because there is the rare occasion where it is nice to do simultaneous things. For instance (and the biggest complaint on the iPhone thus far) play Pandora and do anything else simultaneously. Everything else really doesn't matter.

    Yay, you can efficiently swap between OPEN applications on WebOS.. that's it. It's funny, how a year later that's the ONLY thing you have to defend on WebOS. And guess what? The market doesn't care about that.

    I ended all my development on WebOS and so did a lot of my colleagues (before they even got started actually). Why? There is absolutely no money to be made, at least none that is worth the effort. I'll be sticking with developing for the iPhone and soon Android.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    LOL @ you.
    Brilliant response. You obviously won this argument...
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Brilliant response. You obviously won this argument...
    LOL @ you too! I'm not going to waste my time and effort when I can already tell you guys just don't (and won't) "get it". You're stuck in your ways.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Why? Because there is the rare occasion where it is nice to do simultaneous things. For instance (and the biggest complaint on the iPhone thus far) play Pandora and do anything else simultaneously. Everything else really doesn't matter.

    Yay, you can efficiently swap between OPEN applications on WebOS.. that's it. It's funny, how a year later that's the ONLY thing you have to defend on WebOS. And guess what? The market doesn't care about that.

    I ended all my development on WebOS and so did a lot of my colleagues (before they even got started actually). Why? There is absolutely no money to be made, at least none that is worth the effort. I'll be sticking with developing for the iPhone and soon Android.
    So... The biggest complaint for the iphone is lack of multitasking. Then you go on to say no one cares about multitasking...

    ?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    LOL @ you too! I'm not going to waste my time and effort when I can already tell you guys just don't (and won't) "get it". You're stuck in your ways.
    No, I'm not stuck in my ways. I never even said anything bad about Android or iphone. My whole point is that I believe multitasking is important.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions