Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know what people must be thinking, "Oh, not another one of these again! ". Well before you jump the gun, I looked for civilized, informative posts on the iPhone 4 and they're not here. I'm hoping this one can help people in my same boat.

So I'm a Sprint customer with the Pre (1st one). Sprint is great, they insure my phone, they have great reception (leech off of Verizon), cheap prices and more. They're only problem is their phone selection. Evo requires a $10 premium and it runs android. Both negatives to ME. Currently I pay 74 a month (new SERO plan) for 500 min, unlimited internet, text, mobile to mobile, pick three, and insurance. I don't text or talk much on mobile phones. I do use a lot of data however, mostly for news (around 300mb a month) and no tethering even though I do have My Tether installed for emergencies. I try to stay off the phone as much as I can for personal reasons like radiation and others.

My problem is, I own an iPod Touch and I do everything on it. I use it for running, remote controlling iTunes with Airport Express throughout my house, streaming movies, Samba drives, remote desktoping, gaming (Robot Unicorn Attack!!FTW), checking emails, Skyping, and a lot more. My Pre gets use when I'm out but very little because of all its issues many of which Pre owners are familiar with, the biggest being lag. Maybe I notice it more because of all my iPod Touch usage, who knows, but one thing is clear, I would be a whole lot better off with an iPhone 4 for an all in one device. Plus I held off buying the iPad so I feel I deserve this, lol.

iPhone 4's biggest flaw however is AT&T. Their new data plans are crap and dropped calls are a problem. I calculated that I would be paying about $65 for the cheapest option (39.99 voice,5.00 text, 15.00 Data Plus, 5.00 tax). That option would limit my data usage to 200mb, 100mb under my average on the Pre. I could however go over way more with a more stable device and especially when Netflix and Hulu comes soon. Worst case scenario, I could get the Data Pro plan and raise my bill $10 but will still be limited to 2GB. Or I could be more cautious of my data usage, and use wifi as much as possible saving me $10 a month.

What do you think?
    I think priority one is to have a phone. A phone with great phone features, excellent network coverage, excellent call quality, no dropped calls.

if you don't think at&t can pull that off in the placed you need to use a phone... Then all other issues are moot.

in my experience, I can tell when i'm talking to iPhone users by the number of drops and the frequency of static - like a bad skype call.

can you live with a phone or network that performs like that where you live?

you can always take their 30 trial and try it.
    Maybe apple has helped those dropped calls with the new wrap around antenna. Maybe not. You'll have to try one out.

Your biggest problem might be finding an iphone 4. And watching those minutes..no pick 5 or Any Mobile calling on AT&T's lowest plan.

Wouldn't worry about the data if you only use around 300mb now. Don't forget to apply a discount to your plan which usually washes out the taxes & fees. 40+5+25 = 70
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I think priority one is to have a phone. A phone with great phone features, excellent network coverage, excellent call quality, no dropped calls.

if you don't think at&t can pull that off in the placed you need to use a phone... Then all other issues are moot.

in my experience, I can tell when i'm talking to iPhone users by the number of drops and the frequency of static - like a bad skype call.

can you live with a phone or network that performs like that where you live?

you can always take their 30 trial and try it.
    I might just do that 30 day trial. As long as my call can last for about 5 minutes I'm content.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Maybe apple has helped those dropped calls with the new wrap around antenna. Maybe not. You'll have to try one out.

Your biggest problem might be finding an iphone 4. And watching those minutes..no pick 5 or Any Mobile calling on AT&T's lowest plan.

Wouldn't worry about the data if you only use around 300mb now. Don't forget to apply a discount to your plan which usually washes out the taxes & fees. 40+5+25 = 70
    I preordered the phone when I got the news on Engadget. I have to wait in line however because the shipping method wouldn't work. I gotta recheck the AT&T plans to clarify but what is this discount you speak of. I'm really looking for an employee discount similar to the Sprint employee referral plan but any savings would be great.
    it sounds like you cannot reconcile your differences. clearly if sprint had the iphone you would be wise to get it.

however, sprint does not, and the price is too much on at&t for someone who wants to be using data all the time for browsing/netflix ect. also against AT&T is the diminished quality and dependibility your device will have as a phone, which Workerb pointed out.

on the good side, it does not sound like you have some immediate requirment for a new device, like a job that requires on the go use of an iphone app which requires data connections, or some such absolute. even then, you could always homebrew up your pre and install mobile hotspot for using the iTouch on the go.

so, I would say keep with your current setup now, iTouch/pre and wait a few months, more devices be they android or WebOS will come out and you may find a suitable device for your preferences and wants.

whoops, just saw you already ordered, Hope it all works out for you!

as an aside, its always interesting to see people who have had experiences 180 degrees different from your own.

the author and my wife are case in point, she has almost entirely abandoned her 1st gen ipod touch since getting her pre, it now sits in the bedroom as a dedicated pandora server and sometimes sling-player. she finds the ipod to be clumsy now, as she is used to gestures and multitasking. I myself will forget and try to swipe when using it.
    Last edited by windzilla; 06/18/2010 at 12:53 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    it sounds like you cannot reconcile your differences. clearly if sprint had the iphone you would be wise to get it.

however, sprint does not, and the price is too much on at&t for someone who wants to be using data all the time for browsing/netflix ect. also against AT&T is the diminished quality and dependibility your device will have as a phone, which Workerb pointed out.

on the good side, it does not sound like you have some immediate requirment for a new device, like a job that requires on the go use of an iphone app which requires data connections, or some such absolute. even then, you could always homebrew up your pre and install mobile hotspot for using the iTouch on the go.

so, I would say keep with your current setup now, iTouch/pre and wait a few months, more devices be they android or WebOS will come out and you may find a suitable device for your preferences and wants.

whoops, just saw you already ordered, Hope it all works out for you!

as an aside, its always interesting to see people who have had experiences 180 degrees different from your own.

the author and my wife are case in point, she has almost entirely abandoned her 1st gen ipod touch since getting her pre, it now sits in the bedroom as a dedicated pandora server and sometimes sling-player. she finds the ipod to be clumsy now, as she is used to gestures and multitasking. I myself will forget and try to swipe when using it.
    You make perfect sense in regards to data and better service. Sprint is the top choice of all wireless service providers in the US IMO. You get cheaper plans, mobile to mobile regardless of the provider, insurance, cheap cancellation, and they roam on Verizon's large CDMA network giving you double the network for your money.

The problem however is that they don't have an iPhone. They won't anytime soon either. My job requires me to turn off my phone because of interference with other devices. The iPod Touch/Pre setup is too cumbersome to me and too iffy as well because the Pre would probably die too soon.

In regards to gestures and multitasking, I too placed my iPod Touch into a drawer for about 2 months but was magically introduced to the jailbreaking community. Took me about 5 minutes to download and install (Used Spirit). Read some forums about multitasking, cards, gestures and I can tell you with a straight face, the Jailbreaking community has one-up WebOS gestures and multitasking.

It doesn't show a live preview of cards like WebOS, rather a snapshot but its fine by me. There are many more advancements, trial full games (Cydia) and its totally reversible and does not mess up your warranty like a lot of misinformed people try to scare you with. You should definitely give it a try if you're iPod isn't being used.
    Cant you do most of those things on the Pre? Do a search.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    I preordered the phone when I got the news on Engadget. I have to wait in line however because the shipping method wouldn't work. I gotta recheck the AT&T plans to clarify but what is this discount you speak of. I'm really looking for an employee discount similar to the Sprint employee referral plan but any savings would be great.
    What AT&T calls a FAN discount. Check with your work or an organization you might belong to. In my case i used an alumni email address from college. https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    Cant you do most of those things on the Pre? Do a search.
    Before I tried those apps on my iPod, I was able to do mostly everything I mentioned in my OP but it was never as easy or clean. Once this becomes a bigger issue to users hopefully Palm can address this. If you never fully utilized an iPhone or iPod Touch you might not notice the difference unfortunately.

But when you click something on those devices its solid and straight to the point. With the Pre on the other hand, its not, maybe it loads, maybe the too many cards popup comes out, maybe it needs to load a little longer or maybe you need to reset your phone first to get an app to run. It depends. That bothers me more than ever. Let's not even go into the amount of time it takes to reset the device (10-15 minutes).

What AT&T calls a FAN discount. Check with your work or an organization you might belong to. In my case i used an alumni email address from college. https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/
    I will try this, thanks!
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I do use a lot of data however, mostly for news (around 300mb a month) and no tethering even though I do have My Tether installed for emergencies.
    A lot? I am currently at 5,414,908KB of Data usage. (I'm actually trying an experiment with this months bill cycle and not using WiFi at all just to see how much I can rack it up.)

This will be the same old story; Awesome phone on a crap network. My iFone friends use this joke as a standard now. "Sorry I dropped your call, it's just an iPhone/AT&T thing."

Sprint charging $10 more a month for spotty 4G coverage sux, but capping and categorizing Data into extra fees is keeping me far away from that or any other device on that network.
    Everybody wants some!..
  11.    #11  
    I just did a trial mock up with my school email and I can get a $70 plan for $60 without tax of course!!

That includes the 450 rollover for 33.99 instead of 39.99 and the Data Pro 2GB for 21.25 instead of 25.00. Thanks a lot. I just hope when I walk into Apple they can except this method. I might have to go through my email first.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    A lot? I am currently at 5,414,908KB of Data usage. (I'm actually trying an experiment with this months bill cycle and not using WiFi at all just to see how much I can rack it up.)

This will be the same old story; Awesome phone on a crap network. My iFone friends use this joke as a standard now. "Sorry I dropped your call, it's just an iPhone/AT&T thing."

Sprint charging $10 more a month for spotty 4G coverage sux, but capping and categorizing Data into extra fees is keeping me far away from that or any other device on that network.
    Yeah that's a lot of data! Hopefully Sprint doesn't follow AT&T's new rates because I think Verizon will soon.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I already bought the new iPhone. Just waiting on delivery.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I already bought the new iPhone. Just waiting on delivery.
    I preordered but I just found out you have to already have an AT&T account to get the preorder. I'm probably going to have to wait until they're back in stock and go through the Premier Store to get the nice discount on the monthly plan.

Currently I pay 74 a month (new SERO plan) for 500 min, unlimited internet, text, mobile to mobile, pick three, and insurance.

My problem is, I own an iPod Touch and I do everything on it. ........My Pre gets use when I'm out but very little ... I would be a whole lot better off with an iPhone 4 for an all in one device.

iPhone 4's biggest flaw however is AT&T.

What do you think?
    i have very similar issues.

having an all in 1 device was very much a priority when i bought the pre. I'd hope it would replace my ipod and camera. it's done neither really. i care less about the camera but i go nowhere without my ipod and it's in use all the time every day.

current pre usage is text, phone, occasional web look up and, occasional check facebook. I have very few apps that i find useful for my needs and i don't play games. So for what i use it a lot of phones would work. my data usage is pretty low.

i tried to use my pre instead of my ipod but it wasn't nearly as satisfying. there are ways to do things but it's not nearly as elegant. like podcasting is a pain since i use itunes. getting playlists to work is a pain. the Pre didn't sort that great. And as you mentioned the lag is horrible. So after about a month i fully went back to my ipod mostly because it has an all in one desktop application supporting it. Double twist doesn't work for me, and it's a much more polished media player. like it supports gapless playback and other things well. So like you my pre get's used a ton less.

i to have one of the newer sprint plans so price is the main reason won't go to aT&t soon. So for me it's been decided. I'm waiting till later this year or i'm gonna wait an entire year til my contract is up or close to and get out of it fully to make the transition to an iphone. I considered the EVO but i didn't like the fee. Especially since i just got my bill reduced by ten bucks. I seemed like a kick in the balls now to add it again for 4g that's not in my area.

but i've so grown tired of carrying my ipod and my phone. And a year in and that Palm hasn't updated the music player showed me pretty early that they don't see that as vital as i do. I shouldn't have to rely on music player remix. So that is probably one of the biggest reasons i would switch. I'm hoping cdma reports pan out and if it comes to sprint i'll change that day. until then i'll see what happens and just ride out my contract with my pre and pay the extra for AT&T if i have too. besides by then it could be on sprint.

Oh how i miss my old T-mobile 1 year contracts.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 06/22/2010 at 10:11 PM.
    It bears repeating: Pick your carrier first. Choose the best device for you that they offer. Make your peace with that decision.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i have very similar issues.

having an all in 1 device was very much a priority when i bought the pre. I'd hope it would replace my ipod and camera. it's done neither really. i care less about the camera but i go nowhere without my ipod and it's in use all the time every day.
    I'm the total opposite,lol, I really care about the camera quality but its lack of frustrates me making it useless, and I hardly take my iPod Touch out of the house because I hate carrying things in my pocket. I want to wake up in the morning, take an all in one phone that can last long (from the Engadget review the iPhone 4 can last 38hrs!!!!), my car keys, and my paper thin wallet and go.

current pre usage is text, phone, occasional web look up and, occasional check facebook. I have very few apps that i find useful for my needs and i don't play games. So for what i use it a lot of phones would work. my data usage is pretty low.
    Same here, I use NewsRoom (IMO the cleanest app available on the Pre, it has an iPhonesque feel to it) occasionally and that's about it. I installed a whole lot of apps to try and keep me from jumping ship earlier but it hasn't helped.

i tried to use my pre instead of my ipod but it wasn't nearly as satisfying. there are ways to do things but it's not nearly as elegant. like podcasting is a pain since i use itunes. getting playlists to work is a pain. the Pre didn't sort that great. And as you mentioned the lag is horrible. So after about a month i fully went back to my ipod mostly because it has an all in one desktop application supporting it. Double twist doesn't work for me, and it's a much more polished media player. like it supports gapless playback and other things well. So like you my pre get's used a ton less.
    I just halted the idea of listening to music on the Pre. If you've never used an iPod then those folks living under a rock would be fine but after coming from the ease of a strong Desktop program (iTunes) for music, vids, podcast, etc, the Pre feels very lacking if not worse. I'm happy the Homebrew community tried to address the Music players lackings with Music Remix but the issue for me is lag, don't lag with me while I'm listening to music that's a no no.

i to have one of the newer sprint plans so price is the main reason won't go to aT&t soon. So for me it's been decided. I'm waiting till later this year or i'm gonna wait an entire year til my contract is up or close to and get out of it fully to make the transition to an iphone. I considered the EVO but i didn't like the fee. Especially since i just got my bill reduced by ten bucks. I seemed like a kick in the balls now to add it again for 4g that's not in my area.
    Don't forget the new plans allow canceling at a cheaper price compared to the original $200. I'm probably going to pay about $120 to cancel since I got my Pre in September. I'd advise you look at that and not cause yourself anymore stress with a less than stellar phone.Early Termination Fee. Also, AT&T FAN discount (user:cardfan told me about this) can save you some cash. I used my school email and it will save me about $20 dollars a month.

I'm hoping cdma reports pan out and if it comes to sprint i'll change that day. until then i'll see what happens and just ride out my contract with my pre and pay the extra for AT&T if i have too. besides by then it could be on sprint.
    I'm not gonna rain on you're parade but I don't see it happening anytime soon and we hear these kinds of rumors every year. If Sprint does get it I'm pretty sure you could always sell your iPhone for about $50-$100 less than its off-contract price (look at prices on the 3GS right now on Ebay, iPhones have a high turnover value unlike other phones) and jump back on.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It bears repeating: Pick your carrier first. Choose the best device for you that they offer. Make your peace with that decision.
    iPhone's new design is said to improve reception from Joshua's Engadget review. Plus AT&T's FAN discount (user:cardfan enlightened me to this) makes the switch a whole lot easier for me and it should for others too.
    iPhone's new design is said to improve reception from Joshua's Engadget review. Plus AT&T's FAN discount (user:cardfan enlightened me to this) makes the switch a whole lot easier for me and it should for others too.
    From Mossberg's WSJ review:

Both Apple and AT&T told me they worked to make the iPhone 4 do a better job with AT&T's network. For example, the phone itself is surrounded by a prominent stainless-steel trim piece that acts as a large antenna. And Apple said it also tuned the phone to try to grab whatever band on the network was less congested or less affected by interference—to stress the quality of a signal over its raw strength. AT&T said it, too, made some changes to its network with the new iPhone in mind.

But, in my tests, network reception was a mixed bag. Compared with the previous model, the new iPhone dropped marginally fewer calls made in my car, both in Washington and in Boston, and was much louder and clearer over my car's built-in Bluetooth speaker-phone system.

Yet, in some places where the signal was relatively weak, the iPhone 4 showed no bars, or fewer bars than its predecessor. Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix, and that it has to do with the way the bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars.

However, on at least six occasions during my tests, the new iPhone was either reporting "no service" or searching for a network while the old one, held in my other hand, was showing at least a couple of bars. Neither Apple nor AT&T could explain this. The iPhone 4 quickly recovered in these situations, showing service after a few seconds, but it was still troubling.

Just as with its predecessors, I can't recommend this new iPhone for voice calling for people who experience poor AT&T reception, unless they are willing to carry a second phone on a network that works better for them.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    From Mossberg's WSJ review:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dam*, so much for better reception.
    Depends on your location. I don't exactly depend on Mossberg's judgement as he seemed to have a bone to grind.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast