Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It definitely depends on your location. I think Mossberg stressed this issue because he does not want Apple to get complacent and it makes the review seem more balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Depends on your location. I don't exactly depend on Mossberg's judgement as he seemed to have a bone to grind.
    And here I thought he was the original Apple ******.

But unless you think he's out and out lying, he did say he had both the 3GS and the 4 versions activated at the same time, one in each hand. The 4 seemed to have crappier reception, according to him.

But it's a quibble. No iPhone owner at this point is going to go "I just can't take mediocre reception and dropped calls anymore!" if they've put up with it for this long. Or if they're in some area where AT&T is problem-free, none of it concerns them anyway.
    All I can say is that where I live and work, AT&T is ok. Not as good as verizon, but better than Sprint and Tmobile.

Can't wait for tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Can't wait for tomorrow.
    We know, Moby.....

In all seriousness, I'm happy for you that you're so into it and have the perfect device for you. Mine hasn't been created yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And here I thought he was the original Apple ******.

But unless you think he's out and out lying, he did say he had both the 3GS and the 4 versions activated at the same time, one in each hand. The 4 seemed to have crappier reception, according to him.

But it's a quibble. No iPhone owner at this point is going to go "I just can't take mediocre reception and dropped calls anymore!" if they've put up with it for this long. Or if they're in some area where AT&T is problem-free, none of it concerns them anyway.
    Oops..sorry about that. I meant bone to grind with AT&T. He's a pure Apple nut.

It's almost in fashion these days to bash AT&T or be looked at like you're crazy.

Not in an urban area i really have no problem with them. I've had much worse times with the Pre on Sprint but I always thought the Pre had reception problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    All I can say is that where I live and work, AT&T is ok. Not as good as verizon, but better than Sprint and Tmobile.

Can't wait for tomorrow.
    I'm pretty excited as well. We might not agree on ipad, but this iphone answers a lot of what i wanted. Starting with the improved screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Oops..sorry about that. I meant bone to grind with AT&T. He's a pure Apple nut.

It's almost in fashion these days to bash AT&T or be looked at like you're crazy.

Not in an urban area i really have no problem with them. I've had much worse times with the Pre on Sprint but I always thought the Pre had reception problems.
    Pre definitely is mediocre with reception.

But Mossberg seemed - by comparing the 3GS and 4 - to be implicating Apple here as well.
  8.    #28  
    I hope its just an area thing but seeing how Moss had both phones has to say something on Apple's part. I have to wait anyways for the phone and hopefully that will give reviewers more intimate time to fully examine these issues plus I could probably get the newer batch of iPhones.

That's another thing I'm really thinking about also, if Apple is about to sell 600,000+ iPhone 4's doesn't it make more sense to just hold out until the next batch comes out (*not the iPhone 5) and have addressed minor issues customers may experience similar to how the Pre had stronger builds later in the year. I mean the iPhone doesn't exactly have insurance like the Pre.
  9.    #29  
    Looks like the wait is worth it after all...reports of Bar Drops from human touch and yellow screen spots are flooding Gizmodo and Engadget.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    I'm the total opposite,lol, I really care about the camera quality but its lack of frustrates me making it useless, and I hardly take my iPod Touch out of the house because I hate carrying things in my pocket. I want to wake up in the morning, take an all in one phone that can last long (from the Engadget review the iPhone 4 can last 38hrs!!!!), my car keys, and my paper thin wallet and go.
    yeah i wish phones had great cameras but i've just grown to accept their limitations plus i don't take a ton of photos. But i totally agree with you on carrying a ton of stuff. My issue is if something has to go from my pocket it won't be my ipod. And yeah that battery life if true is ridiculous.

I just halted the idea of listening to music on the Pre. If you've never used an iPod then those folks living under a rock would be fine but after coming from the ease of a strong Desktop program (iTunes) for music, vids, podcast, etc, the Pre feels very lacking if not worse. I'm happy the Homebrew community tried to address the Music players lackings with Music Remix but the issue for me is lag, don't lag with me while I'm listening to music that's a no no.
    pretty much agree with every point. one thing that kills me about the pre is i keep trying to use the ringer switch as a hold cause that's what i'm used to.

Don't forget the new plans allow canceling at a cheaper price compared to the original $200. I'm probably going to pay about $120 to cancel since I got my Pre in September. I'd advise you look at that and not cause yourself anymore stress with a less than stellar phone.Early Termination Fee. Also, AT&T FAN discount (user:cardfan told me about this) can save you some cash. I used my school email and it will save me about $20 dollars a month.
    did not know that. something to consider.

I'm not gonna rain on you're parade but I don't see it happening anytime soon and we hear these kinds of rumors every year. If Sprint does get it I'm pretty sure you could always sell your iPhone for about $50-$100 less than its off-contract price (look at prices on the 3GS right now on Ebay, iPhones have a high turnover value unlike other phones) and jump back on.
    well it's possible that i would just bite the bullet in the future but i do think that by there will be a cdma iphone in the u.s. within a year. Mostly cause, from what i've read apple is has begun to reach a saturation point in the u.s., the people on AT&T that have iphones tend to already have one. And there is also a predicted product cycle, the iphone 4 is part of it, and so though revenues should increase, they aren't exactly going to double market share in the states. And that's what a lot of people want to see, analysts specifically. plus they are facing added comp from Android, and a windows phone on the horizon expected to secure some market share unconstested on the other carriers which could be hard to wrestle away. one of the ways ipod one was being first to develop a user base of repeat users with apps and music downloads. If it lets google or Microsoft be first it may, in time struggle to get those people if they become ingrained on those platforms. Many think the only way to continue apple's growth is enter new markets, like the ipad, or expand markets. Obviously apple could do nothing but wipe their *** with hundred dollar bills if they wanted to and still be in decent shape. And China has CDMA carriers so that could be where all the cdma phones are for. So hey i get it. it's a calculated risk to wait. i'm fine i'll save some money in the mean time. i'm not in a major rush at the moment.
    I would switch to a Verizon Pixi Plus and use mobile hotspot to enable the iPod Touch to work on-the-go.

Best of both worlds.

(coming from someone who just bought an iPhone 4.)

-n8
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post

well it's possible that i would just bite the bullet in the future but i do think that by there will be a cdma iphone in the u.s. within a year. Mostly cause, from what i've read apple is has begun to reach a saturation point in the u.s., the people on AT&T that have iphones tend to already have one. And there is also a predicted product cycle, the iphone 4 is part of it, and so though revenues should increase, they aren't exactly going to double market share in the states. And that's what a lot of people want to see, analysts specifically. plus they are facing added comp from Android, and a windows phone on the horizon expected to secure some market share unconstested on the other carriers which could be hard to wrestle away. one of the ways ipod one was being first to develop a user base of repeat users with apps and music downloads. If it lets google or Microsoft be first it may, in time struggle to get those people if they become ingrained on those platforms. Many think the only way to continue apple's growth is enter new markets, like the ipad, or expand markets. Obviously apple could do nothing but wipe their *** with hundred dollar bills if they wanted to and still be in decent shape. And China has CDMA carriers so that could be where all the cdma phones are for. So hey i get it. it's a calculated risk to wait. i'm fine i'll save some money in the mean time. i'm not in a major rush at the moment.
    Hopefully it happens the more carriers the merrier not to mention it would get AT&T off its lazy **** and force them to improve their networks and do away with their new Data Plan pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    I would switch to a Verizon Pixi Plus and use mobile hotspot to enable the iPod Touch to work on-the-go.

Best of both worlds.

(coming from someone who just bought an iPhone 4.)

-n8
    If CDMA allowed voice and data I would think about this but at the same time I would have to carry two devices which sucks. I'd also have to pay more for Verizon compared to the ATT Premier deal.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    (from AndroidCentral)

"Warning -- This is full of potty language and may well offend you. And it's funny as hell, and quite probably true.* Using the online tools from xtranormal, Youtube user tinywatchproductions gives us a special treat.* It's all in good fun, and a nice break from the usual bickering and feuding between iPhone users and Android users that we all secretly enjoy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=youtube_gdata
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Looks like the wait is worth it after all...reports of Bar Drops from human touch and yellow screen spots are flooding Gizmodo and Engadget.
    Well my partner is delighted with hers. No yellow spots (allegedly these clear up of their own accord as the bonding agent dries) and though we can reproduce the signal fading issue, it doesn't happen in practice, at least, not the way either of us hold the phone when actually making a call.

As the applistas have always said, it is frighteningly intuitive to use (though to a WM6 user like myself, what isn't?)

Overall verdict - a great smartphone for the non-geek.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  15.    #35  
    So I got the iPhone 4 last tuesday (7.6.10) at a corporate At&t store.

My impressions:
    Light, solid, and clean, glass is nice but since I'm used to a rubber backing with my Pre's touchstone kit I didn't think too highly of it. I kept it in its own pocket until I got a bumper from the Apple store.

Antenna Issue:
    Happens when I'm in crappy service areas. It sucks but I don't notice it anymore since I have a bumper. I tried using my other hand and it helps but I really have to force myself to use my other hand to avoid the death grip.

Bumper:
    IMO apple should have attached the bumper as standard to the phone with super glue. After using the black one it makes the phone look a whole lot better and more rugged. I'm super delicate with my phones regardless but holding an all glass phone without some ruggedness seems like an uphill battle. Apple also needs to offer a dock that works with the bumper.

Screen:
    All I can say is I can't even look at my iPod Touch 3rd Gen anymore. Seriously, I can see every pixel on the iPod Touch now with ease. Before I couldn't tell.

Video and Pictures:
    Taking pictures is like a 1.5 sec task. Load it up and click to my hearts content. Video is my only issue. I think since the screen is so clear I'm expecting super clear video. When I get close up its clear, far away its not. I'm heading up to the apple store today just to see if I have an issue. Front facing camera is fine though.

Overall:
    Coming from a Pre I can't see myself going back. If I could dual boot WebOS onto the iPhone that would be awesome but for now I'm sticking with the iPhone 4.
    I've got them all, and I prefer my Pre+. I had to wait a year for Palm to ATT. I like the iPhones but I like the Pre better.
    To each his own. I guess I don't value the iPhones so much because I develop for them and I am actually SICK of looking at them all day long, and the profoundly bad attitude that Apple dishes out to developers. They don't give updates, they issue edicts like a king.
    No thanks, I'm intimately involved with Apple and they don't treat anyone well. They are the Wal-Mart of the phone world for sure.

Caveat Emptor!
    Would like to see an iPhone 4G on Sprint. Like that's going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    I've got them all, and I prefer my Pre+. I had to wait a year for Palm to ATT. I like the iPhones but I like the Pre better.
    To each his own. I guess I don't value the iPhones so much because I develop for them and I am actually SICK of looking at them all day long, and the profoundly bad attitude that Apple dishes out to developers. They don't give updates, they issue edicts like a king.
    No thanks, I'm intimately involved with Apple and they don't treat anyone well. They are the Wal-Mart of the phone world for sure.

Caveat Emptor!
    Why are you still involved with Apple/iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Why are you still involved with Apple/iPhone?
    Because, as I said in the post, it's my job! I develop accessories for iPod/iPhone etc., among other things.
  20.    #40  
    Just got back from the Apple store. The guy said my camera and video was blurry. I even compared it to other iPhones in the store. He suggested I restore my phone, no help. Still blurry. They scheduled an appointment with me tomorrow to look at it. I'm really hoping I can keep the iPhone I already have though.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12