Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is it with people and listening only to marketing blah?

I work in the tech area of my company (I'm a senior network engineer). We often get "personal requests" for advice in purchasing a computer, phone, etc. Today someone came over asking about smart phones. She had a feature phone from AT&T and an iPod. Because of the iPod she was familiar with the iPhone and what it could do. She was wanting to see what all phones we had as we have a fairly large assortment in our department including my Pre, the Droid, a Touch Pro 2, and an EVO. She was really interested in the EVO for obvious reasons. When I tried to show her my Pre she said, rather loudly, I KNOW I don't want a Pre.

I was very taken aback by that comment and after she finished giving the Droid and Evo a once over, I politely asked her about her comment. She said tahr she didn't have anything against Palm OS but that she wanted something more modern. After explaining to her that the Pre is NOT Palm OS she still wasn't convinced. She said the following;

1) I want to "side load" apps.

I mentioned that while that is technically possible with the Android devices Google actively discourages it and that Palm actually actively encourages it. I showed her Preware and WOSQI and how easy it was to "side load" apps. Her answer was;

2) I want to be able to listen to music and browse at the same time. Palm OS can't do that.

I showed her Pandora running along side the browser. I even pulled up The Weather Channel app as well as a few others and showed her all of them running in card view. Her answer was;

3) I really want a physical keyboard.

I slid the Pre up and showed her the physical keyboard. She said it was nice but that it was small (she really liked the landscape KB of the TP 2). She had a point and I couldn't argue with it. I did start to type on it at a relatively fast pace (faster than she went on the TP2) with no errors. I'm not a small person and my thumbs are pretty big so this was a good demo in my opinion. Her answer was;

4) that screen is really tiny.

Sigh . . . . .

I don't have anything against the Evo. I think it's a really kewl phone and when I'm due for an upgrade I will definitely give it a look see. I don't necessarily have anything against the TP2 or the iPhone either but to have someone summarily dismiss a phone because of preconceived notions, even when I showed that it could do everything she wanted it to do . . . .?

Sigh . . . . . .
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Eh.... I'm with her.

Had a palm. Been there, done that...
    Does she know anything about Android? Or is she picking out a phone based on how it looks?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I hear you trodecke, it's called......numb skulls. They'll never get it and I put up with that kind of bull every day. Oh well, to bad for them sap suckers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    Eh.... I'm with her.

Ditto. Release day Palm Pre. Started throwing apps/patches/kernels at it as fast as the great guys around here could develop them. I really shouldn't have to work so hard to make a cell phone work as advertised.

Send a gallon of KoolAid this way please! Pre-ordered my iPhone4 today...
    Some people put blinders on... some sit and let others put them on. She seems to have the latter.

It's sad, but people had the same type of cynical bias towards Apple back in the 90's. Time will pass and people will see it in a different light as webOS moves forward.
    How did she know about side apps, but not know the name of Palms os for the Pre?
    Eh.... I'm with her.

so if it had a bigger screen you would consider a webOS phone from HP by palm?

I have had good experiances when friends have seen my phone they often realize that the iphone isn't the only game in town. I usually also tell them about android.

my general advice is "shop around, the iphone has been around for 3 years now, everyone else has caugt up, it's a great time to be on the market, don't sell yourself short, explore your options a little.

several friends have ended up picking ount the pre. Others choose the phone that they like.
    Quote Originally Posted by CumminsPilot View Post
    Ditto. Release day Palm Pre. Started throwing apps/patches/kernels at it as fast as the great guys around here could develop them. I really shouldn't have to work so hard to make a cell phone work as advertised.

See.. this doesn't make sense to me (not meaning to offend)... People buy an Android and do the same thing. People jail-brake an iPhone too because they limit the settings and tasking abilities. People install a custom ROM, or add little apps to have to phone do the things its missing right out of the box. I've owned and lived with Android, so I'm talking first-hand experience too. What's the difference in adding a custom ROM to an Android, or even adding little apps that tweak settings... compared to adding Preware and doing the same thing? If people like one OS over another, that's fine... but a comparison like that confuses me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CumminsPilot View Post
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    If it wasn't for the kool-aid drinkers our selection of smart phones would not be anywhere close to it is. My guess and it is only a guess is that 70% of smart phone owners don't really need them. I include myself in that.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    See.. this doesn't make sense to me (not meaning to offend)... People buy an Android and do the same thing. They install a custom ROM, or add little apps to have to phone do the things its missing right out of the box. I've owned and lived with Android, so I'm talking first-hand experience too. What's the difference in adding a custom ROM to an Android, or even adding little apps that tweak settings... compared to adding Preware and doing the same thing? If people like one OS over another, that's fine... but a comparison like that confuses me.
    I think he's talking about things android phone do out of the box that current webos phones don't. Like voice dialing, voice search, virtual keyboard, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    so if it had a bigger screen you would consider a webOS phone from HP by palm?

I have had good experiances when friends have seen my phone they often realize that the iphone isn't the only game in town. I usually also tell them about android.

my general advice is "shop around, the iphone has been around for 3 years now, everyone else has caugt up, it's a great time to be on the market, don't sell yourself short, explore your options a little.

several friends have ended up picking ount the pre. Others choose the phone that they like.
    No. If it had a bigger screen. If the UI/OS was snappier/faster/more receptive STOCK out of the box. If the community was vast. If it had useful and good looking apps. If the phone dialer worked without massive lag. etc. etc. etc. Then yes, I would go back with WebOS+HP product if that was the case... Maybe...

I moved on to the EVO 4G. Couldn't be happier.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    How did she know about side apps, but not know the name of Palms os for the Pre?
    Good question. I think she read a few Engadget/Cnet type articles and based most everything off of that. Also, there's a DBA here that is as much of an Android ****** as the most ardent iPhone ******. He tends to preach the virtues of Android to anyone and everyone.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I think he's talking about things android phone do out of the box that current webos phones don't. Like voice dialing, voice search, virtual keyboard, etc...
    And I can name a few other things that go the other way. I understand your point. But no phone can be all things to all people - especially straight out of the box. The difference will be the ability of that phone's OS to expand and grow without having to jail-brake, or burn new ROMs, or even brick it. There are a lot things the the Pre cannot do right now compared to other phones... but there are a lot of things the Pre can do that other phones cannot. It goes both ways... but the tunnel-vision from one platform to the other will continue to amaze me.
    Yeah I believe he is talking about the things Android can do out of the box instead of having to use Preware. alot of other phones just do these things without having to play around. Atleast I think thats what he meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    Good question. I think she read a few Engadget/Cnet type articles and based most everything off of that. Also, there's a DBA here that is as much of an Android ****** as the most ardent iPhone ******. He tends to preach the virtues of Android to anyone and everyone.
    Whats a DBA?
    And I can name a few other things that go the other way. I understand your point. But no phone can be all things to all people - especially straight out of the box. The difference will be the ability of that phone's OS to expand and grow without having to jail-brake, or burn new ROMs, or even brick it. There are a lot things the the Pre cannot do right now compared to other phones... but there are a lot of things the Pre can do that other phones cannot. It goes both ways... but the tunnel-vision from one platform to the other will continue to amaze me.
    I see your point. but even if you can't do something on the iphone or android phone, there is probably and app for it, that doesn't require you to root or jailbreak. But with the pre and pixi, it seems if another OS has a feature for you to get it on your webos device you have to homebrew or patch something up.
    No. If it had a bigger screen. If the UI/OS was snappier/faster/more receptive STOCK out of the box. If the community was vast. If it had useful and good looking apps. If the phone dialer worked without massive lag. etc. etc. etc. Then yes, I would go back with WebOS+HP product if that was the case... Maybe...

I moved on to the EVO 4G. Couldn't be happier.
    I'm glad you found a phone that works as well for you as the pre does for me. I definitely know what you mean about being happy with a phone after a bad experience.

the pre has been a refreashing and welcomed change from the drudgery of my other smartphones.

the fact that I have a smooth, intuitive and productive ui with such a great community and apps rolling in has made it so I don't fight with my phone, I use it. The pre did that for me, hope android gives you a year of the same.

cheers.
    There isnt alot that the PRE can do that other phones cant other then something thats part of the OS like Cards. I have a Pre and EVo and I dont think theres much the Pre can do that the evo cant But there a list of things the EVO can do that the Pre cant without being modified ( pre ware) But then again the PRE is over a year old and the EVO is brand new . It could be any new phone . Thats just advancment. If there is a new WEB OS phone in 2011 I am positive it will be able to do things that phones right now cant do. Its not a knock on the PRE. I just cant see why people compare the PRE to phones that are out now. The PRE is in phone years an old phone. I fully expect that if I still have my EVO in a year it will be outdated and blown away by what ever is out then. Actually theres some phones coming out in the next few months ( iphone , galaxy , scorpion etc) that alredy blow the EVO away.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast