Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Great statement. The easy to use WEB OS and this community made owning a PRE a joy for a year. Nothing beats the ease of WEB OS and this community.

Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post

the fact that I have a smooth, intuitive and productive ui with such a great community and apps rolling in has made it so I don't fight with my phone, I use it.

cheers.
    @vaccpalm.... totally understand and agree with your point. I'm not saying the Pre is a 'current' phone by any means... I just didn't quite agree with a couple of previous comments. This market is moving faster every day and will keep speeding up... no phone will be 'best' for more than a few weeks at this point.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    I moved on to the EVO 4G. Couldn't be happier.
    And I have no problem with that at all. I know people that left the BB world for a Windows Mobile phone and couldn't be happier. Ditto for a move from a G1 to a BB and a Hero to a Pixi. People should use the phone they like/are comfortable with. But to dismiss a product out of hand simply because it's not what the "in" crowd is using, even though it did everything asked of it, just simply astounds me.

Sometimes the best restaurants are the ones without the big flashy sign out front.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Whats a DBA?
    DataBase Administrator.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Every week theres a new phone. You have to get the phone that makes you happy . If its a PRE then you cant worry about what else is out there. This is how I look at it. I got the Pre in 2009. I decided it would make me happy for 1 year. thats all the time frame i put on my phones. 2010 I decided the EVO would be the phone that fits my needs for 1 year. in 2011 I will see whats out there. But yeah man I agree theres a new phone every week. and its better then the one from the previous week. It can drive you crazy with phone envy.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    @vaccpalm.... totally understand and agree with your point. I'm not saying the Pre is a 'current' phone by any means... I just didn't quite agree with a couple of previous comments. This market is moving faster every day and will keep speeding up... no phone will be 'best' for more than a few weeks at this point.
  6.    #26  
    if another OS has a feature for you to get it on your webos device you have to homebrew or patch something up.
    That's actually one of the things I really like and look for in any product I buy. The gentleman with the original Droid prides himself on how he can customize the screens to look the way he wants. I showed him all the "customizations" I've made to my Pre and he was impressed.
    Terry Rodecker

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Every week theres a new phone. You have to get the phone that makes you happy . If its a PRE then you cant worry about what else is out there. This is how I look at it. I got the Pre in 2009. I decided it would make me happy for 1 year. thats all the time frame i put on my phones. 2010 I decided the EVO would be the phone that fits my needs for 1 year. in 2011 I will see whats out there. But yeah man I agree theres a new phone every week. and its better then the one from the previous week. It can drive you crazy with phone envy.

I sold high-end electronics for many years... so that is something I'm very aware of and totally agree with. But the hardware for me is second hand to the OS. And this one has, for the first time, captured my attention beyond the temporary limits of the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by CumminsPilot View Post
    Ditto. Release day Palm Pre. Started throwing apps/patches/kernels at it as fast as the great guys around here could develop them. I really shouldn't have to work so hard to make a cell phone work as advertised.

Send a gallon of KoolAid this way please! Pre-ordered my iPhone4 today...
    Congrats. That new iPhone looks so good. I must admit that I would probably jump ship if it were not for the ETF and contract obligations I still have towards sprint. Not to mention i'm reluctant to leave webOS (the best platform ever), and I pay 30% less per month for more minutes, texts, nav, etc....ummm on second thought, I will stick with my pre until the next cool webOS device hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    That's actually one of the things I really like and look for in any product I buy. The gentleman with the original Droid prides himself on how he can customize the screens to look the way he wants. I showed him all the "customizations" I've made to my Pre and he was impressed.
    I see what your saying, and when I had my Pixi I use to show off all the customizations I did on mine. But if a person with a Webos device wants something to look like mine, they would have to go through steps to add preware and webosqi. And even though they are not hard steps some people will have a harder time keeping them updated. Rather than downloading an app and updating it when it tells you to. And changing your home screens on android doesn't require any homebrew or patches which could lead to trouble to novice smartphone users.
    hmmm, things webos can do that other phones can't...

charge wirelessly
    copy content to the phone wirelessly
    run a full featured shell
    play monopoly

of course then we get into what it does better, like synergy or mobile hotspot
    Quote Originally Posted by ****-richardson View Post
    hmmm, things webos can do that other phones can't...

charge wirelessly
    copy content to the phone wirelessly
    run a full featured shell
    play monopoly

of course then we get into what it does better, like synergy or mobile hotspot
    Actually some phones can charge wireless with the power mat thing. And you can copy content to the phone wireless with different phones. and you can play monopoly on other phones. I don't know what a "shell" is so can you enlighten me on that.

And HTC with sense have synergy. And mobile hotspot is up to the carrier. Also iphone, android, and nokia platforms and others have solutions to mobile hotspots. just like webos.
    2) I want to be able to listen to music and browse at the same time. Palm OS can't do that.

??? I did this all the time with my Treos. ???
    I sold high-end electronics for many years... so that is something I'm very aware of and totally agree with. But the hardware for me is second hand to the OS. And this one has, for the first time, captured my attention beyond the temporary limits of the hardware.
    BINGO!
    Actually some phones can charge wireless with the power mat thing. And you can copy content to the phone wireless with different phones. and you can play monopoly on other phones. I don't know what a "shell" is so can you enlighten me on that.

And HTC with sense have synergy. And mobile hotspot is up to the carrier. Also iphone, android, and nokia platforms and others have solutions to mobile hotspots. just like webos.
    maybe your problem was you had a Pixi and not a Pre????

This isn't the best quote to illustrate that, but it's in your sig and you mentioned it in a previous post. BTW, can't compare the evo to the Pre (or even Pixi), some folks want the flashy big screen with touchscreen keyboard..... some of us won't mess with a phone without a physical keyboard. So like many folks the EVO to Pre is apples to oranges (and we will still continue to see how the EVO hardware holds up, it hasn't been out that long).

Ohhh and not all synergy functions the same... another big reason I love webos, the synergy function is crazy clean and works wonders while I still can easily control my content. Just because a phone/os/overlay uses a function called "synergy" doesn't mean it's executed the same way.
    What is it with people and listening only to marketing blah?

I work in the tech area of my company (I'm a senior network engineer). We often get "personal requests" for advice in purchasing a computer, phone, etc. Today someone came over asking about smart phones. She had a feature phone from AT&T and an iPod. Because of the iPod she was familiar with the iPhone and what it could do. She was wanting to see what all phones we had as we have a fairly large assortment in our department including my Pre, the Droid, a Touch Pro 2, and an EVO. She was really interested in the EVO for obvious reasons. When I tried to show her my Pre she said, rather loudly, I KNOW I don't want a Pre.

*snip*

I don't have anything against the Evo. I think it's a really kewl phone and when I'm due for an upgrade I will definitely give it a look see. I don't necessarily have anything against the TP2 or the iPhone either but to have someone summarily dismiss a phone because of preconceived notions, even when I showed that it could do everything she wanted it to do . . . .?

Sigh . . . . . .
    Actually, I've had the opposite experience. With the exception of a few fruit huggers, I've been able to get the remainder to concede that the Pre is a powerful device and effective in the workplace. Of the 17 Pres I know personally, I've sold 6 of them (hey Palm, where's my commission? lol). (Converted a Treo, Centro, 2 BB's, a Blackjack II, and (gasp!) an iPhone)

In fact, I am the "info guy" in our IT department meetings since I am able to take notes and pics with Evernote, google info on the net, and send emails to other team members before my iPhone\Android toting friend can go "home" find the other apps, lauch them an get on with it. The dirty looks I get are TOTALLY worth it. (downside is I'm working my but off every meeting so maybe this isn't such a good thing! lol )
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    maybe your problem was you had a Pixi and not a Pre????

This isn't the best quote to illustrate that, but it's in your sig and you mentioned it in a previous post. BTW, can't compare the evo to the Pre (or even Pixi), some folks want the flashy big screen with touchscreen keyboard..... some of us won't mess with a phone without a physical keyboard. So like many folks the EVO to Pre is apples to oranges (and we will still continue to see how the EVO hardware holds up, it hasn't been out that long).

Ohhh and not all synergy functions the same... another big reason I love webos, the synergy function is crazy clean and works wonders while I still can easily control my content. Just because a phone/os/overlay uses a function called "synergy" doesn't mean it's executed the same way.
    First part. What does me having a pixi have to do with anything.

Second, I wasn't camparing evo to pre or pixi. If anything it was more of the competition vs webos.

And last, the person said nothing else had synergy. I just pointed out that other devices did. Whether its the same or not is a different story.
    Last edited by koolkid09; 06/16/2010 at 02:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    ??? I did this all the time with my Treos. ???
    Yep, Pocket Tunes was a pretty solid app. I was very happy when they added internet radio (limited, but still) and was able to listen to more music than I had on my 2GB SD card.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    If the market is moving so fast, then how good is a phone that doesn't do anything to update itself?

People will criticize the mass market for picking the phone that their friend has and accuse them of "drinking the kool aid", but it's not like these people are unhappy with their iPhones or Droids, or they feel they are missing something that is available on the product they don't own. The only people who notice what's there and what's missing are people like us who celebrate over every new tidbit of phone news or new upgrade. Regular people simply buy their non-Pre phones, use them for their intended purpose and then move on with their lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    If the market is moving so fast, then how good is a phone that doesn't do anything to update itself?

People will criticize the mass market for picking the phone that their friend has and accuse them of "drinking the kool aid", but it's not like these people are unhappy with their iPhones or Droids, or they feel they are missing something that is available on the product they don't own. The only people who notice what's there and what's missing are people like us who celebrate over every new tidbit of phone news or new upgrade. Regular people simply buy their non-Pre phones, use them for their intended purpose and then move on with their lives.
    Don't know many smartphone users do you?? I'm in an IT shop servicing several hundred users locally, the majority of which are smartphone owners. Trust me, they notice.

The main thing is fruit heads simply ignore the features they don't have as unnecessary (insert fox and grapes reference here) where as the 'driod folk will drop in a ROM mod to quietly add features, then there's the P|C folk who will post 2,134,245,256,246 threads stating how "this is missing" and "that is missing" and "no apps", etc.

The iPhone 1.0 was missing several dozen common features (see sig for ex.) and had no apps at all (PalmOS had 60K at the time) but if you looked on TiPB, there weren't 2,134,245,256,246 threads stating those facts over and over...
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

Don't know many smartphone users do you?? I'm in an IT shop servicing several hundred users locally, the majority of which are smartphone owners. Trust me, they notice.

The main thing is fruit heads simply ignore the features they don't have as unnecessary (insert fox and grapes reference here) where as the 'driod folk will drop in a ROM mod to quietly add features, then there's the P|C folk who will post 2,134,245,256,246 threads stating how "this is missing" and "that is missing" and "no apps", etc.

The iPhone 1.0 was missing several dozen common features (see sig for ex.) and had no apps at all (PalmOS had 60K at the time) but if you looked on TiPB, there weren't 2,134,245,256,246 threads stating those facts over and over...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast