View Poll Results: What do you think about the iphone 4 preordering system "crashing"?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Must be so many orders that it overloaded the system

11 30.56%
  • I think its a BS publicity stunt to seem like the iphone 4 is a big thing

12 33.33%
  • I have no opinion

0 0%
  • I don't care

13 36.11%
  1.    #1  
    IPhone 4 Orders Swamp AT&T and Apple Sites - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

I get the feeling there's something fishy with the new iphone 4 preorder fiasco. I haven't heard of anyone successfully preordering. Did apple/at&t make it seem like they were taking preorders just to show off that their systems went down due to overwhelming demand? Most non-iphone users are going to an android phone and iphone users for the most part are only upgrading if they can get the upgrade price but don't think its an exceptionally special phone.

What do you think about the preorder systems all crashing? Does it sound like BS to u too?
    could be true if a lot of people hit the ordering system all at once. For example right when the system first allowed people to order the phone anyone who was going to order one did it at this time, then I could see it happening. Other than that yes it could be some APPLE bs and just trying to get more people to follow what others are doing.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Apple would love to take every order coming in....

Funny how the conspiracy theories always pop up...

No doubt they are selling a boatload of phones, I think it's AT&T's backend servers causing the issue
    You always estimate enough to ensure if the site were to go viral or triple in estimated traffic the site would hold fast.

It would be unreasonable to believe that a company as large as Apple and AT&T would not plan for a large pre-order, and make test to make sure the hardware would be capable of the demand. Other sites are easily capable of dealing with half the amount of traffic Apple supposedly did.

Either the developers of Apple and AT&T are not very good at their job or something was planned.
    Sprint had system issues with EVO activation due to volume...its real and it happens even if you plan for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    You always estimate enough to ensure if the site were to go viral or triple in estimated traffic the site would hold fast.

It would be unreasonable to believe that a company as large as Apple and AT&T would not plan for a large pre-order, and make test to make sure the hardware would be capable of the demand. Other sites are easily capable of dealing with half the amount of traffic Apple supposedly did.

Either the developers of Apple and AT&T are not very good at their job or something was planned.
    I vote AT&T failed. They've done it before and don't seem to learn. iPad had troubles, other iPhones had troubles. Nothing was planned, AT&T just fails.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I doubt it's a stunt... I work for an att call center. We had an insane amount of calls about the device prior to and incld. today ... There was a high amount of traffic to the site all @ once, but people were still able to preorder at a local store...

I don't believe it was a failure either. They had close to 1 million people attempting to preorder the devices throughout day. $199/299 x 1 mil = SUCCESS; and will still be able to preorder. These people are paying for the phone upfront, that's a guaranteed sale - if they can fill the orders.

now do I don't thinkthe phone necessarily all that hot.. But nonetheless there are a lot of folks who do want it and have been waiting for it... Some store had lines around the store JUST TO PREORDER it.. I am not sure I would do all that (but I did drive and call aroung everywhere for this pre lol)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    [Insert "People must not have turned off their Wi-Fi" Joke Here]
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Yesterday Apple and its carrier partners took pre-orders for more than 600,000 of Apple’s new iPhone 4. It was the largest number of pre-orders Apple has ever taken in a single day and was far higher than we anticipated, resulting in many order and approval system malfunctions. Many customers were turned away or abandoned the process in frustration. We apologize to everyone who encountered difficulties, and hope that they will try again or visit an Apple or carrier store once the iPhone 4 is in stock.
    600,000 is a lot of preorders, but why would apple and AT&T not be prepared for that?! Aren't there like 10 million iphones out there on AT&T alone? Assuming even a 10th of the people with iphones preorder, you would expect at least a million. Apple fans are pretty nutty about their apple products and tend to jump on board any piece of junk apple released, so this really shouldn't be shocking. I still get the feeling it was a publicity stunt. They knew the preorders would sell out regardless so they didn't care if they caused some havoc and press releases along the way.
    I can vouch for that. I showed up at Best Buy at 6pm and it took 2 hrs . the Rep said the Sprint network was down for hours due to the crush of EVO orders.

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Sprint had system issues with EVO activation due to volume...its real and it happens even if you plan for it.
    Once again, AT&T's systems failed. I don't know about Apple's end but AT&T certainly can't get it right. If this is a stunt, how about this tidbit? Makes AT&T look really inept after the iPad breach.

iPhone 4 Order Security Breach Exposes Personal Information
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    awesome!
    Apple is amazing. so many aficionado.
    You are missing my choice:

AT&T systems are really that bad, no pretending is necessary. That's why the biggest complaint from iPhone users has always been AT&T... Systems, network, etc. have all bee overwhelmed by the iPhone.

The premise here is like wondering about a government conspiracy and then paying a visit to your local DMV. They can't even process basic license renewals effectively, so how could they conspire about anything more complicated than how to extend their lunch break?

Same goes for AT&T. Their systems are sooo bad.