Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    I have an opportunity today to trade my currently rooted Droid Eris for a Palm Pre Plus. I'm going to restore the device back to its default state for the Pre owner and let them decide how they want to use the device from here.

Current Pre (Plus) owners, what say you of this deal?

For what it is worth:

I'm a heavy Google user (Gmail / Cal / Voice / Talk)

My services are hosted on a Google Apps domain (other than voice)

I'm not a huge software-based keyboard fan. I like the virtual QWERTY on the Eris and it has been accurate, but I prefer a hardware QWERTY over anything. I have owned a Centro before so I'm familar with that layout, and I can honestly say I enjoyed using the phone.

I like to tinker with my phones. To date I've installed a half dozen ROMs on my Eris. However, I need a phone that I can use as a daily runner without the need to tweak and mod constantly. CyanogenMod based ROMS are close, but not close enough for my tastes.

In 15 months I'll be eligible for a NE 2 upgrade. I have a spare line that will be eligible for upgrade again 8 months after that.

No cash is going to be exchanged in the transaction - it is just phone for phone.

Should I take the plunge? What should I take into consideration first?
    One thing you'll miss is proper Google Voice support.

I'm not sure about the battery of the eris, but many people aren't insanely happy with their Pre battery (myself included). How long do you usually get the use the eris on a full charge?
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    Some other points:

I don't mind being "stuck" with Verizon Wireless. I've had them for going on 7 years without any major incident. I'm just a smartphone junkie and I haven't had a chance to use webOS yet. I'm curious to see if anyone, after everything that has gone down lately, would still recommend this phone and why. The Pre appears to be a stable device with a great OS. I wouldn't imagine wanting (or needing) to tweak the device much beyond stock.
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lingo View Post
    One thing you'll miss is proper Google Voice support.

I'm not sure about the battery of the eris, but many people aren't insanely happy with their Pre battery (myself included). How long do you usually get the use the eris on a full charge?

Battery life depends on usage, the ROM installed, etc.

On the default ROM w/ Sense UI and my usage (moderate to sometimes heavy) I'm having to put my phone on a charger by 3:30pm. My employer's building is a death trap for mobile phones. Previous feature phones I've had only lasted 6 hours as well. Outside the office on weekends (albeit with less usage) I get about 8 1/2 hours.

On a modified ROM I get anywhere from 7 - 10 hours of usage. Yes, removing Sense UI makes a big, big difference!

I would miss full on, proper Google Voice support. Especially since I am using my account heavily now for privacy reasons.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Honestly i think that you would have a lot of fun with the pre plus, they are very tweakable but none of the tweaks really change any of the core os functions, pretty good selection of games and apps n such but not as good as android, great community to help with any issues