Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    I must admit, I was one of the ones ready to jump ship. The only thing that stopped me was a lack of $. I too was drooling over the specs of the EVO. We have not seen much of any updates or new product releases from Palm and figured it was a dying beast.

    But after reading some of the problems with EVO, I'm glad I kept my Pre. I have horrible coverage at my house, but wifi takes care of that. Now I hear the EVO is having problems with wifi. As I understand you have to be really close to the wifi source to get reception. Not good for me. Also, now I hear that the screens are starting to separate from the device. It has only been out a couple of weeks and if this is true, I don't see it getting any better with more use. To me that seems like a pretty big issue. Then the last straw was the EVO's inability to play 3D games (smoothly at least). That is one of my favorite things about my phone. If I had to give up Gangstar or Brothers in Arms, I mid-as-well just get a "dumb" phone to only make calls and text.

    Now I know this is a new phone and every new product will have it's problems, but to me it seems funny how everyone was saying..."Man if we only had webos on a solid device like the EVO" and yet the EVO seems to have it's own problems. It just sucks that we lost so many people to the EVO only to find out now that they have new issues to deal with.

    One side note, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (or two I should say) my wife and I are still on our original Pres from launch date...still running strong. Also my son got an Ipad last weekend as a gift from Grand Dad (Not a big Apple fan, but I must admit that thing is COOL!!!) but of all things we already had to return it. The ear phone jack would not let him plug in his ear phones. It was like something was inside the hole that stopped it from plugging in. No idea why or what it was, but it had to be replaced.
  2. #2  
    Man, ya gotta love how people selectively read reviews and comments on devices. The same types of things were said (and still being said) about the Pre, why can't everyone just realize that their favorite device is just that, **THEIR** favorite device, and quit trying to put down every other device that is out there?
  3. #3  
    Well, obviously the screen is going to separate from the device. They put the screen too close to the edges, so good luck to the owners of an Evo. Whenever you drop your phone, your screen might just pop off and you'll have to deal with that.
  4. #4  
    Point of thread: I was thinking about an EVO, but wanted to wait and see if I heard any bad news about hardware and performance.

    As opposed to the Pre, which had nothing but sterling notices in both areas, right?

    What a joke of a thread...
  5. #5  
    Wait a minute!! I was considering the jump too(I don't even have a Pre). But since I have to move carriers, that's a big step for me. However, these problems also have me considering just staying on AT&T and seeing how the iPhone 4 does.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Wait a minute!! I was considering the jump too(I don't even have a Pre). But since I have to move carriers, that's a big step for me. However, these problems also have me considering just staying on AT&T and seeing how the iPhone 4 does.
    I'm personally not an Apple fan, but the iPhone 4 seems like a real solid device. If it weren't on AT&T (and my contract was up) I would consider it
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Wait a minute!! I was considering the jump too(I don't even have a Pre). But since I have to move carriers, that's a big step for me. However, these problems also have me considering just staying on AT&T and seeing how the iPhone 4 does.
    Phone selection sure stinks for us right now.
    I guess I could get a....... Argh!
    Just call me Berd.
  8. #8  
    Same here. I went to the EVO but If I could I would get the Iphone and try it. Seems like a solid device.
  9. #9  
    LOL Berd!

    You used the banner I made in your sig!

    Last edited by Garrett92C; 06/14/2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  10. #10  
    I don't think the op is putting down the evo,,,he just pointing out facts and giving opinion. I have noticed lately that the people who jump ship to evo are very touchie if you say something about it. Yet pre owners have been taking abuse for a year now. Just my opinion,,now I'll wait for someone to jump down my throat,,lolol
  11.    #11  
    Thanks! zmann,

    You hit it on the head. I was not trashing the EVO. In fact I would still love to have one. Mikah912 said I was waiting to see what happens...no I had a medical situation come up that used up any of my free funds. If it were not for that, I would be an EVO owner right now. I actually am disappointed to see this type of news myself. To me Sprint is a great carrier and I have never had issues with them. I think they are the best value as to what you get vs. what you pay. I just am sadden to see every time they release an new "Flagship" phone it seems bogged down with hardware issues and bad press.

    Also my point was that it is funny how so many people were jumping ship and trashing the Pre only to find new problems with the EVO. The grass is not always greener.
  12. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I don't think the op is putting down the evo,,,he just pointing out facts and giving opinion.
    Is the hardware issue actually a fact? I'm not saying that as a jerk, i'm just curious if it's a legitimate issue or if it's the "***** in the armor" that non-Pre owners are using to pry into it.

    Personally, my infatuation with the Pre lessened once I saw the add-on charges so I'm sticking with the Pre. I'm just not ready to sign a 2yr contract just yet because it seems the carriers are all going the same greedy direction with all these new rules. The Pre works passably as a feature phone (tethering) so I'll stick with it until we figure out what the carriers and HP are up to.
  13. #13  
    Took this with my EVO yesterday.... Still have my Pre.

    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by HMCH View Post
    Thanks! zmann,

    You hit it on the head. I was not trashing the EVO. In fact I would still love to have one. Mikah912 said I was waiting to see what happens...no I had a medical situation come up that used up any of my free funds. If it were not for that, I would be an EVO owner right now. I actually am disappointed to see this type of news myself. To me Sprint is a great carrier and I have never had issues with them. I think they are the best value as to what you get vs. what you pay. I just am sadden to see every time they release an new "Flagship" phone it seems bogged down with hardware issues and bad press.

    Also my point was that it is funny how so many people were jumping ship and trashing the Pre only to find new problems with the EVO. The grass is not always greener.
    That's an even sillier rationale.

    It's not "funny-ha ha" or even "funny-interesting" that someone who left the Pre would find themselves with a faulty device elsewhere.

    I don't care whether you are trashing the Evo or not. It's dumb and hypocritical to jump on day one reports of Evo hardware issues and, in the same breath, say "well every product will have problems..." and downplay the mountains of issues that Pre owners are still going through.

    You can't have it both ways. And if reports of hardware and software issues gave you any real pause, you would never be a Pre owner in the first place.

    Please...
  15. #15  
    The EVO has the same first day hardware isssues alot of phones go through. The Test is will these issues become horrible over time like the Pre's issues. And as the poster above me stated. If your concerned about issues then the PRE is not for you.
  16. #16  
    Luckily for me, I don't have any major issues with my Evo. And I didn't have any major issues with my Pre hardware for the year I had it, either. Just goes to show that some people complaining on the internet doesn't make a product horrible for everyone. A minority of all products have defects, it's to be expected.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by HMCH View Post
    Thanks! zmann,

    You hit it on the head. I was not trashing the EVO. In fact I would still love to have one. Mikah912 said I was waiting to see what happens...no I had a medical situation come up that used up any of my free funds. If it were not for that, I would be an EVO owner right now. I actually am disappointed to see this type of news myself. To me Sprint is a great carrier and I have never had issues with them. I think they are the best value as to what you get vs. what you pay. I just am sadden to see every time they release an new "Flagship" phone it seems bogged down with hardware issues and bad press.

    Also my point was that it is funny how so many people were jumping ship and trashing the Pre only to find new problems with the EVO. The grass is not always greener.
    Watch out! The PC patrol is out, challenging even the most innocent of opinions.

    Say something negative about the Pre - some here will jump on you. Say something negative about another phone and some others will jump on you. I didn't see anything factually incorrect in what you said, so unless I've missed something obvious, there are just some people who are wound too tight around here.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Watch out! The PC patrol is out, challenging even the most innocent of opinions.

    Say something negative about the Pre - some here will jump on you. Say something negative about another phone and some others will jump on you. I didn't see anything factually incorrect in what you said, so unless I've missed something obvious, there are just some people who are wound too tight around here.
    That's just how the internet works. Someone is always going to think you're wrong.

    Even a simple statement can cause trouble. lol

    Poster 1: "I like puppies!"
    Poster 2: "You're an *****! Puppies are stupid. Cats are better."
  19. #19  
    The only one i'd be weary about is Sprint at the moment. The plans are great but they're falling short on quality control. They do approve the hardware.

    Not only that, but the support of the Palm Pre has been awful. No word on a Plus version. They just threw it all under the bus and come out with comments (via CFO and others) that they were disappointed.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    That's just how the internet works. Someone is always going to think you're wrong.

    Even a simple statement can cause trouble. lol

    Poster 1: "I like puppies!"
    Poster 2: "You're an *****! Puppies are stupid. Cats are better."
    Understood. But it devalues the forum as a whole. I don't mind debating of fact or even the opinions - if the facts on which the opinions are based on is the target.

    But this is where we are:

    Poster 1: "How about that Laker game?"
    Poster 2: :What do you mean Laker game, It was a Celtics game, after all they did better"

    It's kind like that guy (everybody knows at least one one) who can turn any problem into a discussion of the faults of the Carter or Ford administrations (depending on their politics) no matter what the topic.

    Even more offensive are the poster who feel they have the right to interpret the motivation of everyone who makes a statement. A guy has a medical issue come up and someone else makes assumptions about his reason for delaying a purchase.

    I'm kind of old school, but where I come from you don't assign motives (especially negative ones) to someone unless you have a very good reason to do so.

    I can hang with the rough and tumble, I grew up where that was a way of life. But I grew up. I've seen people ridiculed here by 'clever' posters for grammatical errors when it was obvious to me that English was not their first language.

    Used to read the Computerworld "Shark tank" blog until it became such a snark-fest that there was no chance of learning anything there.

    Just saying...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions