Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Hi everyone,
    First off I want to say that I love this community and you all have done a lot to help me learn my way around the amazing WebOS system. I am grateful for that but I think the time is coming for me to switch to another smartphone unless I can be persuaded otherwise. First off I travel a lot and my work involves me being away from a power source for long periods of time (aka 12+ hrs). I am not a phoneaholic but I do pull it out of the holster around once per hour to check messages, twitter, facebook, etc. The problem that I am having is that my phone is drinking its battery. Yesterday for instance I was going to Carowinds in NC and I knew I wouldn't be able to charge up for around 12 hours so I brought two charged batteries, the Palm OEM battery and a 3rd Party 1350mah extended battery. I thought I would be good to go as it was a full 3g coverage area and I had turned off wifi, bluetooth, and set govnah to screenstate at 125mhz when the screen was off. Well I only made it about 8 hours with both batteries, I was doing some light texting, my email is received every 6 hours I believe, and I had 1 10 min phone call and 2 other short calls (less than 5 mins). I love my Pre Plus but I am constantly looking for a charger and it really hurts the ability of the phone because other apps that I would be using more often (Slacker, Pandora, GPS, Google Maps, youtube etc) I don't use because I know they would drain my already taxed battery. Is something wrong with my Pre Plus or is this typical and should I look elsewhere for a smartphone? By the way this is my 3rd device from Verizon. 1st had the keyboard issue, 2nd had an issue where the screen would scramble when put on a charger. Thanks for your help and I'm hoping I'm missing something because I have put a lot of time and money in apps and accessories for this thing. Thanks for listening to my rambling and I'm hoping you all know something I don't.
    Droids are just as bad on battery drain as the Pre.
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
    Quote Originally Posted by mac+treo View Post
    Hi everyone,
    First off I want to say that I love this community and you all have done a lot to help me learn my way around the amazing WebOS system. I am grateful for that but I think the time is coming for me to switch to another smartphone unless I can be persuaded otherwise. First off I travel a lot and my work involves me being away from a power source for long periods of time (aka 12+ hrs). I am not a phoneaholic but I do pull it out of the holster around once per hour to check messages, twitter, facebook, etc. The problem that I am having is that my phone is drinking its battery. Yesterday for instance I was going to Carowinds in NC and I knew I wouldn't be able to charge up for around 12 hours so I brought two charged batteries, the Palm OEM battery and a 3rd Party 1350mah extended battery. I thought I would be good to go as it was a full 3g coverage area and I had turned off wifi, bluetooth, and set govnah to screenstate at 125mhz when the screen was off. Well I only made it about 8 hours with both batteries, I was doing some light texting, my email is received every 6 hours I believe, and I had 1 10 min phone call and 2 other short calls (less than 5 mins). I love my Pre Plus but I am constantly looking for a charger and it really hurts the ability of the phone because other apps that I would be using more often (Slacker, Pandora, GPS, Google Maps, youtube etc) I don't use because I know they would drain my already taxed battery. Is something wrong with my Pre Plus or is this typical and should I look elsewhere for a smartphone? By the way this is my 3rd device from Verizon. 1st had the keyboard issue, 2nd had an issue where the screen would scramble when put on a charger. Thanks for your help and I'm hoping I'm missing something because I have put a lot of time and money in apps and accessories for this thing. Thanks for listening to my rambling and I'm hoping you all know something I don't.
    I FREAKIN LOVE CAROWINDS!!!!!!!

Back on topic. Get the Droid Inc. instead of the original Droid. Much faster and a better screen. I know it doesn't have a hardware keyboard but the vk is pretty good.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I would love to get the droid incredible but my contract isn't up so I need to get something that I can cover with the money I can get from selling my pre on ebay. That leaves me with the Droid, Droid Eris, or the Devour. I don't really care about the droid's hardware keyboard, I hear it is terrible.
    I would love to get the droid incredible but my contract isn't up so I need to get something that I can cover with the money I can get from selling my pre on ebay. That leaves me with the Droid, Droid Eris, or the Devour. I don't really care about the droid's hardware keyboard, I hear it is terrible.
    Yea, the Droid keyboard sucks. Well the Droid is still pretty powerful and Android is optimized enough to run butter smooth on the the Droid hardware. So I would say get the Droid.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    From what i'm reading, the Droid Eris really took a hit after the Android 2.1 upgrade, in terms of usability. But you should be able to get one pretty cheap on eBay, because they are last year's phone.

Also on topic, i'm getting much better battery life than you.. I typically have over 60% at the end of the day, with light usage. I'm not overclocked, just running a few patches..
    http://forums.precentral.net/marketp...-pre_plus.html

this person is looking for a pre ,or a trade for a pre for a driod that is
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldog View Post
    From what i'm reading, the Droid Eris really took a hit after the Android 2.1 upgrade, in terms of usability. But you should be able to get one pretty cheap on eBay, because they are last year's phone.

Also on topic, i'm getting much better battery life than you.. I typically have over 60% at the end of the day, with light usage. I'm not overclocked, just running a few patches..
    Wow I would be in love with my pre if I could get battery life like that. Maybe I should try restoring it and getting rid of all the homebrew?
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Couple of points:
    1. Try touchstone in your car if u travel so much
    2. Change Twitter & facebook to check for updates less often, do this in preferences. Most of that stuff doesn't need such frequent polling.
    3. Try other settings with govnah. When I used it I thought battery drain was worse than other kernels if u wanna overclock. Try compcache?
    4. Try different screen state setting. Some Pre's don't like being underclocked.

Sounds like u tried changing some things, like email check frequency. Browse the forums some. There a lot of posts re battery life tips.
    I'd say spend a bit of time digging into power hoggage...

I have about 62 Patches/apps installed
    I use my phone almost constantly for email (1 business exchange account configured with EAS, 1 personal POP account)
    I text msg at least 10 times a day
    I use about 1000 minutes a month of core hours phonage
    I play quite a bit fo Solitaire to pass the time (especially when travelling - sort of makes up for being in airplane mode!)
    I do not overclock
    I have a Seidio 1350 mAh battery (not a huge fan of them, but this does seem to work).

I'm normally up at 06:00, and when travelling might go until that night before charging.

When not travelling, I WILL place my phone on a handy TS when feasible (night stand, on my desk, in the car).

Even for a pre with a bad rep for battery life, it sounds like you have a particluarly lousy phone...

Dunno if that helps at all, but there ya go

russ
    Try the extended battery. My Pre got about 5 hrs with the stock battery but the 2600 battery got me through the day.
    if your gonna bail out on the pre you might want to wait for the driod 2 thats supposed to be coming out soon .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    me and my friend who also have a pre discussed this last night. I was in favor of the Droid...but one thing I remembered was the hardware is manafactured by Motorola. I have a feeling the Droid just won't end up holding up to my expectations in the long run. Speaking of long run, um the Droid 2 was just announced..so it's already dated as is. So in the end I'm sticking to my Pre. Still gets the job done
    Touchstones are dirt cheap at Radio Shacks right now (approx $16 with spare toustone cover). One for the car is very handy. There are lots of compatible battery-based chargers. I picked up one at Brookstone & carry it wherever I plan on spending time playing games like on plane flight.

BLiip
    Hi everyone,
    First off I want to say that I love this community....clip...
    Yes! This is a great community.
    So is androidcentral.com
    many of the same faces over there. - It's our sister site.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Yeah I have 2 touchstone chargers, unfortunately I can't find a convenient place to mount one in my 98 civic ex so I am just using the standard car charger. Today I was working on a movie set and I went through two batteries between 6:00 - 5:00 with about 3 hours of turning the phone completely off in between that. It is getting a little bit ridiculous. At one point battery monitor showed a depletion of 56% an hour then later it went down to about 15% an hour but it still died. And sometimes the battery percentage jumps around. For instance I was using it just a second ago when the battery was at 15% and then it jumped to zero and shutoff a few seconds later. I uninstalled uberkernal and govnah as well as the mega menu mod but now it is worse than ever. The phone is sluggish, and I am constantly getting the overheating notice even when it isn't running anything and just charging on my nightstand. I am going to go ahead and do a recovery (my third one so far) and if it doesn't work I'm gonna switch unless I'm missing something easy.
    Today I left my house at around 6 AM for work and used my Pre to check email, sent a few texts and made and received a few phone calls, I would classify as light use. I just got home and checked and my battery was at 63%. I am using a Mugen 1400 battery which is supposed to add a couple of hours and overall I am really happy with the battery life on my Pre. I am running the Govnah/Uber-Kernel set on conservative and email set to check every 15 min. and GPS and wifi on. I am on the Sprint network in SoCal and the reception is good pretty much where ever I go. It's kinda of strange how your phones go through so much battery.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Today I left my house at around 6 AM for work and used my Pre to check email, sent a few texts and made and received a few phone calls, I would classify as light use. I just got home and checked and my battery was at 63%. I am using a Mugen 1400 battery which is supposed to add a couple of hours and overall I am really happy with the battery life on my Pre. I am running the Govnah/Uber-Kernel set on conservative and email set to check every 15 min. and GPS and wifi on. I am on the Sprint network in SoCal and the reception is good pretty much where ever I go. It's kinda of strange how your phones go through so much battery.
    Yeah tell me about it.
    There MUST be something totally off-kilter somewhere... the consumption you're describing makes no sense!

Is the phone being left on the dash of your car (in Death Valley)..
    Has it been plugged into a coffee machine, and is powering the darn thing?

Asides from the activities and battery life I mentioned in an earlier post (EP?), my email is sync'ing to 2 accounts with "Get email" set to "As items arrive"...

I play Solitaire while... , well, in the the morning for at least 15 - 20 mins

I'm pretty close to obsessive about powering up the display to check for emails and the time - probably 30 - 50 times a day, and the worst I've ever had is the phone close to dying on me before I go to bed.

NEWS: Just got a Mugen 1400mAh battery yesterday. Charged it overnight, and (as per instructions) have NOT charged it at all today. I'm sitting here at 7:30 p.m. with 57% battery left (tho' I must admit today was a light-usage day).

Have you tried any other batteries?

russ
    Something definitely sounds wrong with that phone or you have an app that is a serious offender. Doctor it and remove any unneeded apps for a couple days and see if that helps. If not... return it. As bad as the Pre is with battery life... this does not sound like normal drainage. 1 battery by 5pm, I can see... but, not 2 batteries by 5pm, with the usage you described.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast