Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

    To say the least this is a A TREND I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT!! Customers modifying their EVO to work with the touchstone. I would think this would also COMPLETELY VOID your warranty! BTW the vid was not showing up when I went to this site.

    (Dear Mods, I hope this is the correct place for this posting, as always, thanks for all of the GREAT WORK for all of us)!

    Take care, Jay

    HTC EVO 4G hacked to work with Palm Touchstone

    By Marin Perez on Sunday, June 13th, 2010 at 11:32 AM PST

    HTC EVO 4G hacked to work with Palm Touchstone

    If you ditched your Palm (NSDQ: PALM) Pre for the EVO 4G and still have the Touchstone charger around, you may be able to some cool, if somewhat impractical, things. Thanks to a neat mod, you can now let your 4G handset use the wireless charger.

    There arenít too many details about the actual mod, but it doesnít seem like itís for the squeamish Ė youíre going to have to solder connections once the phone is open. Itís suppose to work pretty well and you can check out the full video at the end of this post. In an interview, the modder said there are a few drawbacks:

    * The 4 magnets around the coil render any compass apps completely useless.
    * The battery cover sticks up a little but as you saw in the YouTube video itís barely noticeable. I could probably make it fit better but I didnít want modify the internal plastics just in case I ever have to return the phone

    This is cool stuff here, as it shows that thereís plenty of ingenuity in the modding community. There should be a tutorial coming in a little bit, so weíll stay on top of this. Click after the jump for a full video of the EVO 4G getting it on with the Touchstone.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. #2  
    ALready talking to the guys to get mine done. I figured it was a matter of time. Im super thrilled. all your doing is modding the back door and these type of mods ( Like the ones for the PRe) are usually reversible and people break there back doors all the time. they get replaced so no issue with warrenty I think . If thats the case you would break the warrenty when you get a back door from Sidieo.
    Didnt you know alot of the home brew stuff and overclocking done here actually does void the warrentys I believe.

    Now I am super glad I got 3 TS's at radiosshack when they were on sale. The only think I missed from my PRE was the touchstone. I will be a happy camper when I get mine done. Now I can have a touchstone for my PRE and EVO.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/13/2010 at 06:34 PM.
  3. #3  
    what's even more worry some is that the author of the hack reports that the mod required breaks the compass due to the magnets. If that's the case, then the Pre2 will suffer the same or not have a compass? That was one of the added features I was hoping for.
  4. #4  
    Yeah with the touchstone you cant have a compass in the device. Makes sense. the magnets in the touchstone and device will disturb the compass.
  5. #5  
    Im moding my Evo tonight and still have a touchstone laying around
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    ALready talking to the guys to get mine done. I figured it was a matter of time. Im super thrilled. all your doing is modding the back door and these type of mods ( Like the ones for the PRe) are usually reversible and people break there back doors all the time. they get replaced so no issue with warrenty I think . If thats the case you would break the warrenty when you get a back door from Sidieo.
    Didnt you know alot of the home brew stuff and overclocking done here actually does void the warrentys I believe.

    Now I am super glad I got 3 TS's at radiosshack when they were on sale. The only think I missed from my PRE was the touchstone. I will be a happy camper when I get mine done. Now I can have a touchstone for my PRE and EVO.
    Overclocking voids your warranty but would you care to explain what other homebrew options void your warranty, specifically stating which clauses of the warranty agreement they conflict with? Thank you.
  7. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #7  
    OP: why aren't you happy about this? I think it's pretty sweet. Had I an EVO, I'd be very tempted to do the same.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    what's even more worry some is that the author of the hack reports that the mod required breaks the compass due to the magnets. If that's the case, then the Pre2 will suffer the same or not have a compass? That was one of the added features I was hoping for.
    The touchstone back in the Pre and Pixi do not contain magnets. The only magnet in the phone is in the speaker. The magnets are in the touchstone and four small steel disks in the touchstone back align with the touchstone charging pad to tie them together. The phones should still be able to have a built-in magnetometer that would work while the phones were not connected to the touchstone.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  9. #9  
    Im not a homebrew guy but I was under the impression from reading some of the post that some ( not all) of the things you do in homebrew and the patches voids the warrenty. I knew the over clocking did and i thought there was a few things that they mentioned in the homebrew post that did. I am far from a homebrew expert ( i know little to nothing) so I appologize is I am incorrect.

    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Overclocking voids your warranty but would you care to explain what other homebrew options void your warranty, specifically stating which clauses of the warranty agreement they conflict with? Thank you.
  10. #10  
    Wow that's a pretty neat mod! Personally I would rather have a touchstone than a compass fwiw...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

    To say the least this is a A TREND I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT!! Customers modifying their EVO to work with the touchstone. I would think this would also COMPLETELY VOID your warranty! BTW the vid was not showing up when I went to this site.

    (Dear Mods, I hope this is the correct place for this posting, as always, thanks for all of the GREAT WORK for all of us)!

    Take care, Jay

    HTC EVO 4G hacked to work with Palm Touchstone

    By Marin Perez on Sunday, June 13th, 2010 at 11:32 AM PST

    [url= EVO 4G hacked to work with Palm Touchstone[/url]

    If you ditched your Palm (NSDQ: PALM) Pre for the EVO 4G and still have the Touchstone charger around, you may be able to some cool, if somewhat impractical, things. Thanks to a neat mod, you can now let your 4G handset use the wireless charger.

    There arenít too many details about the actual mod, but it doesnít seem like itís for the squeamish Ė youíre going to have to solder connections once the phone is open. Itís suppose to work pretty well and you can check out the full video at the end of this post. In an interview, the modder said there are a few drawbacks:

    * The 4 magnets around the coil render any compass apps completely useless.
    * The battery cover sticks up a little but as you saw in the YouTube video itís barely noticeable. I could probably make it fit better but I didnít want modify the internal plastics just in case I ever have to return the phone

    This is cool stuff here, as it shows that thereís plenty of ingenuity in the modding community. There should be a tutorial coming in a little bit, so weíll stay on top of this. Click after the jump for a full video of the EVO 4G getting it on with the Touchstone.
    do you own palm? Who cares! It's a hack people do things like that all the time.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Im not a homebrew guy but I was under the impression from reading some of the post that some ( not all) of the things you do in homebrew and the patches voids the warrenty. I knew the over clocking did and i thought there was a few things that they mentioned in the homebrew post that did. I am far from a homebrew expert ( i know little to nothing) so I appologize is I am incorrect.
    I am far from an expert myself. I think the general misconception comes from when people compare homebrew to jailbreaking, when it is in fact not that simple a comparison. To homebrew a pre or pixi you are utilizing the developer tools that palm has made available for the platform. As far as I'm aware there is nothing in my contract with my phone provider that suggests utilizing those tools voids my warranty.
  13. Spyral's Avatar
    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #13  
    I can see the OP being upset since this steals some deserved-thunder from the design of the Pre/Pixi. On the other hand, if everyone is modding devices to run on Touchstones, this means Palm got just another thing right that everyone wants to copy. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, even if it means competition.

    Being honest, my network of Touchstones is one of the few reasons I have not jumped to the EVO or iPhone yet.
  14. #14  
    +1
    That just shows how popular the Touchstone is. It was unique and can be a selling point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    I can see the OP being upset since this steals some deserved-thunder from the design of the Pre/Pixi. On the other hand, if everyone is modding devices to run on Touchstones, this means Palm got just another thing right that everyone wants to copy. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, even if it means competition.

    Being honest, my network of Touchstones is one of the few reasons I have not jumped to the EVO or iPhone yet.
  15. halcyonku's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #15  
    You are correct. The back of the Pre for the Touchstone does NOT contain magnets. This mod for the EVO should not affect the compass except when it is on the Touchstone. I am totally doing this.


    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    The touchstone back in the Pre and Pixi do not contain magnets. The only magnet in the phone is in the speaker. The magnets are in the touchstone and four small steel disks in the touchstone back align with the touchstone charging pad to tie them together. The phones should still be able to have a built-in magnetometer that would work while the phones were not connected to the touchstone.
  16. #16  
    Thats probally where I am mistaken. Confusing jail breaking with the homebrew stuff. Thank you for clearing that up.

    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I am far from an expert myself. I think the general misconception comes from when people compare homebrew to jailbreaking, when it is in fact not that simple a comparison. To homebrew a pre or pixi you are utilizing the developer tools that palm has made available for the platform. As far as I'm aware there is nothing in my contract with my phone provider that suggests utilizing those tools voids my warranty.
  17. #17  
    The way I look at it, the more attention Palm can get the better.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  18. #18  
    If Palm made Touchstones for other devices, they could take on PowerMat, which has terrible reviews.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    The touchstone back in the Pre and Pixi do not contain magnets. The only magnet in the phone is in the speaker. The magnets are in the touchstone and four small steel disks in the touchstone back align with the touchstone charging pad to tie them together. The phones should still be able to have a built-in magnetometer that would work while the phones were not connected to the touchstone.
    I popped out those discs in an (unsucessful) attempt to upgrade to a stronger TS grip.
    they most definitely were magnetic.
    they may have been magnetized by the TS magnets over time,but they most definitely clung to my computer case while out.

    I was thinking about this problem today (assuming they were magnets in the back.)
    they could put electromagnets in the back that turn on when it's near the TS. Otherwise, a simple plastic clipon attachment on the TS could hold a non-magnetized, but otherwise intact TS back.

    no matter what...touchstone charhing is just too cool. I couldn't imagine any smartpsone(with current battery tech) without such an elegant charging solution.
  20. #20  
    Only a nerd would care about this trivial crap
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions