Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I work as an Information Technology consultant and I am also a student. I have to stay current on varying technologies. In my personal life I hate to follow the crowd. That is why I have not hurded to the iPhone which I admit is a very nice phone; but I prefer the leading edge technologies and true innovation. Although it bites me sometimes, I do not have a problem with being a first adopter.

So, June 6, 2009, I was in line to get my Palm Pre. WebOS is awesome innovation to mobile operating systems. So, this year, I decided to keep my Palm Pre because I really dig WebOS. I was really excited about the HP buy of Palm; but recent news has been a little disconcerting. So, I decided to make the Pre my backup phone (as my Palm Treo 755p became when I got my Pre June 6, 2009). So, I upgraded my Treo to the HTC EVO 4G. So far, it has been a nice marriage of two technologies - WebOS and Android (w/HTC Sense).
    Recent news? I feel people should wait until the buy out goes through and HP/Palm will be allowed to speak freely on the future of Palm and smartphones. All we really have to go on right now is mostly rumors and speculation. The EVO is not going anywhere and the worst thing that can happen is you can get either it for less money or something better will be released.
    I have a moto droid in addition to my pre, but as it's turned out, the droid is the backup. A full featured shell, wireless charging, and Monopoly are worth more to me than what I consider the gimicky apps that you really never use but are impressive to demonstrate (google goggles comes to mind).

I liked the Incredible and the Evo - with the exception of Sense. Restricting the number of exchange calendars and drastically increasing time-to-market for updates can't begin to justify a marginally improved UI IMO.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I was very interested in the EVO. Until I actually tried it out. I was so underwhelmed and appreciated my Pre even more. WebOS is so much better than Android. I was more impressed with the HD2 with Windows 6.5. If we could get WebOS onto hardware like the EVO...that would be a phone I would pitch a tent about (if you know what I mean).
    Quote Originally Posted by short bus View Post
    I was very interested in the EVO. Until I actually tried it out. I was so underwhelmed and appreciated my Pre even more. WebOS is so much better than Android. I was more impressed with the HD2 with Windows 6.5. If we could get WebOS onto hardware like the EVO...that would be a phone I would pitch a tent about (if you know what I mean).
    I agree...everyone I talk to thinks I'm crazy when I tell them that WebOS is an amazing smartphone OS...it's very intuitive and makes everything feel almost 2nd nature

The droids are very fast, no doubt, but the pre's aren't exactly slow even at 500mhz

Like you said, if WebOS was offered on similar hardware to the EVO or Incredible it would make for one very impressive phone
    I returned my EVO also and happily went back to the Pre. WebOS is really hard to beat. The widgets on the EVO were really useful but with 5 widgets running after unlocking the phone it would lag a bit before refreshing, even with a 1ghz processor. I'm in a 4G city (Austin) but my house is on the outskirts of the 4^ area so the EVO would switch back and forth between 4G and 3G when that happened some times it would become completely unresponsive as it bounced back and forth between the 2 bands. I'm a 15 year It consult and should of known better , the Pre works for me, should of never switched. But I would like some new hardware..come on Palm , I'm waiting for you.
    My wife has the Hero and, while I appreciate the possibilities of Android, I see it as an unfinished or unpolished product. I am saddened by the lack of foothold that WebOS has, but I really do think it is going to be cannibalized for other things and that the Palm products, as we know and love them, are going to go away. Couple that with a very solid, industry-wide commitment to Android, and we may all be just tilting at windmills trying to stay on WebOS, regardless of how much better it is.

That said, I played with the EVO and was kind of impressed. Great speed, great functionality, fakes it's way through a great screen (only 16bit but my eye sight isn't that discerning so I can't really see much difference between it and the Pre for every day use). The combination of the minimized widgets on different home pages, and the task manager a la iPhone, gives a much more passable representation of "multi-tasking" than I had previously thought, and one I could live with.

For me, it's a matter of being on Pre number 10 (due next week. see my other posts for details), and no confidence that Pre number 10 will be the one to last. If it does, I will be happy. If it doesn't, I will ask for an Evo. Hopefully, it will last at least a month or two though, so I can see how the EVO hardware is holding up. Idiosyncrasies of performance, I can live with. Outright hardware failure, is what I would like to move away from.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Usually, I can't go more than a few months with a gadget before getting bored and moving on to something else. I have the tools I use for real productive work (i.e., my Tablet PC), but otherwise I like to play around with new things.

However, my Pre is now officially more than a year old and I've stuck with it, for two reasons, I think. First, webOS really is that good, even though it needs some things to fully flesh it out. Second, my Pre has become a real productivity tool for me--I won't get rid of it until the next generation webOS device comes out because I rely on it.

I've played with Android, and it's just not the same. Even though I could afford to get an Evo to play with, I just don't have the urge. And that's what's really amazed me about this platform.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    @wynand32.... I'm just like that too... I love toys. I love electronic toys and usually get bored with something a few months in and want to switch to the next 'greatest' device. But using the Pre and webOS has been different for me. I use this phone so much for everything and have come to love webOS over any other platform I've used that I don't see changing to another phone unless the next Palm phone is a really cool upgrade.

I've gone through the love/hate thing with the form factor when the device was in its early days (poor hardware), but the phone I have now is built solidly and it really is a good looking, sleek phone. I was setting up some equipment at Chicago Blues Fest on Thursday and one of my guys pulls out his iPhone to check to see we have our wifi network secured. His phone had a case on it, the screen was really dull looking, the whole device just looked bad. It was the same age and used as much as mine and he absolutely loved the Pre's look and screen color/clarity. My point being... it is simply a fantastic looking phone with a great form-factor for daily use.

I don't see getting another device unless it's webOS and a big step forward.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I agree that a Pre on better spec'd and more solid hardware would be awesome. That with "Droid" like marketing would make it a huge winner.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glbt View Post
    In my personal life I hate to follow the crowd. That is why I have not hurded to the iPhone which I admit is a very nice phone; but I prefer the leading edge technologies and true innovation.
    Just curious, but why do you assume that being popular automatically means it is less "'leading edge" or (groan) "innovative"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Just curious, but why do you assume that being popular automatically means it is less "'leading edge" or (groan) "innovative"?
    Popular doesn't mean much. Many hardly know how to user their phones beyond out of the box.

I was at a poker game a few friends had. This one guy had his iphone out the whole time obviously proud of it..complete with stupid looking case. Asked him if it was jailbroken and got this blank look from him. He had a few apps downloaded but was still using 3.0.

I mention..4.0 will be pretty cool with multitasking. Another blank look. I gave up.

At a recent party for the kiddo, my bro in law has a Hero. I ask him if he got 2.1 yet. I get a blank look from him. "no, its the google browser" Ok...

All this means really is you're not following any crowd :P
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Popular doesn't mean much. Many hardly know how to user their phones beyond out of the box.

I was at a poker game a few friends had. This one guy had his iphone out the whole time obviously proud of it..complete with stupid looking case. Asked him if it was jailbroken and got this blank look from him. He had a few apps downloaded but was still using 3.0.

I mention..4.0 will be pretty cool with multitasking. Another blank look. I gave up.

At a recent party for the kiddo, my bro in law has a Hero. I ask him if he got 2.1 yet. I get a blank look from him. "no, its the google browser" Ok...

All this means really is you're not following any crowd :P
    You are SO MUCH more smart than your poker buddy. you must pick up lots of chicks with your L337 skillz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You are SO MUCH more smart than your poker buddy. you must pick up lots of chicks with your L337 skillz.
    Dude, I'm married with a kid. L337 skillz are all i got left :P