Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    To even imagine the WebOS on iPhone hardware is to completely miss the point, IMO
    Agreed, but...
    I really wasn't suggesting WebOS on an actual iPhone.

Right now the WebOS phones available are just okay regarding the processor, screen size, overall quality of specs.

The new iPhone specs are Wow!

So looking at it from the standpoint of comparable specs.
    Not as a literal thought like running the WebOS on a iPhone.

It seems over and over in these forums people keep praising WebOS, and continue to express disappointment with the Build of the Device, and internal specs.

So I guess at this point I'm not sure if I'm trying to agree with the OP, or if I'm just talking off a thought that came to mind from the original post.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    "The last thing HP palm needs is cheerleaders once they are on top. They need supporters/believers when they are not. But i think you just explained to all of us what your true calling is.."cheerleader for winning team". Palm looked like a winner and stumbled... so you left them for that Stud of an Iphone. Now you spend everyday on these forums cheering for the winning team. Cheerleader - thats your calling."

This is not college football. This is a company in business for profits, responsible to shareholders.

They have to earn my business, not assume it.
    We.. said my man. Since when should consumers side behind a company. I have needs that are continually evolving. If a company can't match my needs I go to one that can.

Listen, i love Palm, i do.....but they aren't handling my needs anymore.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    We.. said my man. Since when should consumers side behind a company. I have needs that are continually evolving. If a company can't match my needs I go to one that can.

Listen, i love Palm, i do.....but they aren't handling my needs anymore.
    perfect... i can respect that... they are handling mine just ffine. My post is about why i think it handles it better than ios. but most of the ios supporters are not listing reasons why ios is better than webos... other thasn iphone hardware.
    My pre is handling my needs just fine. I will be watching world cup soccer for free on sprint tv at the airport.... im very satisfied to have carrier options. I am not jumping ship to another phone with another contract... when i believe in the next webos phone... and my current pre is working just fine.
    Thanks again hombre!
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    "The last thing HP palm needs is cheerleaders once they are on top. They need supporters/believers when they are not. But i think you just explained to all of us what your true calling is.."cheerleader for winning team". Palm looked like a winner and stumbled... so you left them for that Stud of an Iphone. Now you spend everyday on these forums cheering for the winning team. Cheerleader - thats your calling."

This is not college football. This is a company in business for profits, responsible to shareholders.

They have to earn my business, not assume it.
    Wow.. you managed to pick one thing to respond to with dignity... and once again... you contradict yourself.
    "When palm makes a great phone again - which I think is unlikely with HP, unfortunately, because I have a lot of time invested in Palm over the last 15 years - I'll be cheering them on."
    This is your quote is it not?
    Just because you have not seen my username around this iste and these forums does not mean i was not reading them. The frustration you may be getting from me towards you... is that i"ve been reading many, many posts from you ... and they are mostly supporting IPHONE. So, today you had your chance to enlighten us... because you used some pretty tough words :
    "You've never really used an iPhone, have you?
    You would have never typed out an erroneous list like that, if you'd actually ever used one vs. reading blogs about why iPhones suck, or something. You sort of just revealed yourself as an apple-hater with no real experience save what you read on blogs by people who hate apple.
    Basically, the scenarios you just described are completely wrong.
    As someone who has used both, I can say they both have their strengths and weaknesses but your attempt at being a fan just reeks of ignorance."

which the response was : deCorvett
    I have an iPhone everyday at my side, so don't tell me what I know or don't know. If I'm so wrong, tell me where...note that I'm talking about iOS4, if not, then there are more steps)
    Yeah, I figured that you'll come with the notifications thing. But that's not the entire scenario...
    (and if you disable wifi notifications, then you'll have to go to the wifi tool to connect to any wifi... very efficient too.)

We are still waiting for your enlightenment...
    Last edited by clutch1222; 06/11/2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: quote
    Clutch, I think you are asking me questions, and I will take a stab, but you really need to learn how to write sentences, use paragraphs and punctuations. You're close to illegible.

"This is your quote is it not?" What do you want to know? Of course its my quote. You quoted it. But I don't think that is your real question, so what is?

So, ask a question, and then give a paragraph break (maybe even number them) and ask another.

If you are going to be so demanding that people respond to you, you are going to have to take more care to communicate. Normally I just gloss over a big long block of text, especially in clown colors, all mushed together like that.
  6.    #66  
    thank you. I will take it into consideration
    now your a cheerleader and an expert on puntuation , sentence building, and avoiding questions and posting substance.

the only demand I make is that you try not to contridict yourself, if your going to post so your stance on ios... Back it up.
    I thought the mash up was artistic in a way...way to avoid again.
    say something relevant... Clear enough?
  7.    #67  
    well... This one seems to be wrapping up. I was hoping to get more feed back on ios4 being a more innovative os than webos. ios 3g to 3gs was not that innovative in the os dept. What i mostly read was the hardware intergration and whole experience is better at this stage of iphone release. I agree 100% . I heard a lot of good reasons why webos is more innovative and has potential to become the great mobile os we all hope it will.
    My main point was that we are expecting a new hardware release. The main reason for me being satisfied with my Pre is webos, and the anticipation of palms next phone. I hear a lot of complaining from pre users on this site about hardware , possibly jumping, already jumped and still chime in.... waiting..... for that great news about the next webos phone. I will be the first one to admit if the new phone(s) falls short... but i believe its going to change the game. If anyone wants to post substance on why they think IOS is better than webos.... I would love to hear about it. Thank You to all who contributed. I think it is a healthy debate.
    I think that those people who continually jump ship for new phones are technology addicts. They impulse buy the newest thing whenever it hits the market instead of being content with their initial purchase. Kinda silly to complain about palm hardware specs when the phone is almost a year and a half old. I love the Pre and webos. I keep trying to swipe on my iPad and get irritated having to hit buttons all the time to go back. I also miss the multitasking and it's ease of use. If Hp puts out a decent webos tablet, I'll be all over it.
  9. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    My opinions...

1. Yes, iOS is just now catching up to webOS in a few areas.

2. Despite the fact that I'm a webOS fan and would never buy an iPhone myself, I'm very impressed by iOS4 in many ways.

3. In favor of the OP... Yes you can too separate the os from the hardware, at least for discussion purposes. You can't do it if you're thinking about why a consumer will by a product of course, but that isn't what the OP brought up. There is no reason you can't separate them just for discussion's sake.

4. In favor of everyone else... OP you keep saying people are making hardware or experience arguments that they shouldn't. Would it be more to your liking if instead of a comment on the gpu, for example, I instead pointed out that iOS is written to use its gpu for everything while webOS still isn't? Is that an acceptable way to directly compare the operating systems to you?
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I think that those people who continually jump ship for new phones are technology addicts. They impulse buy the newest thing whenever it hits the market instead of being content with their initial purchase. Kinda silly to complain about palm hardware specs when the phone is almost a year and a half old. I love the Pre and webos. I keep trying to swipe on my iPad and get irritated having to hit buttons all the time to go back. I also miss the multitasking and it's ease of use. If Hp puts out a decent webos tablet, I'll be all over it.
    that is exactly how I feel when I try and use an iphone... Not as elegant. Not for me. The gesture is so hard to promote and market... Which makes me want to support and raise awareness about webos. The iphone experience is great... But it's missing the elegance of webos. So I will patiently wait for palm to regroup... And deliver apple quality with the webos experience. Thanks for sharing this post. It sums up why I , in my opinion, webos is better than ios.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    My opinions...

1. Yes, iOS is just now catching up to webOS in a few areas.

2. Despite the fact that I'm a webOS fan and would never buy an iPhone myself, I'm very impressed by iOS4 in many ways.

3. In favor of the OP... Yes you can too separate the os from the hardware, at least for discussion purposes. You can't do it if you're thinking about why a consumer will by a product of course, but that isn't what the OP brought up. There is no reason you can't separate them just for discussion's sake.

4. In favor of everyone else... OP you keep saying people are making hardware or experience arguments that they shouldn't. Would it be more to your liking if instead of a comment on the gpu, for example, I instead pointed out that "iOS is written to use its gpu for everything "while webOS still isn't? Is that an acceptable way to directly compare the operating systems to you?
    love your approach. Thank you for breaking it down....
    "iOS is written to use its gpu for everything " yes... and at the same time limiting everything else. My op is about ios has a good thing... and they are just keeping it the same, but added many features that webos had a year ago.
    Apple just wants to keep it controlled.... while palm/webos think outside the box and are more innovative . kind of makes you wonder why the head of the most successful division of apple ( ipod division) left apple to join palm, and devs etc followed... i think they had these ideas at board meetings... and mr. jobs shot them down - "control" think janet jackson ;-)
    so they left for palm and started this amazing new web OS. its innovative, outside the box approach... and both android and ios have taken strengths from it and incorporated them into their current os's. But WEBOS gets little recognition. i know that they all have learned from each other... but the the majority of the list of new ios4 features were taken from original webos at launch... a year ago. not very innovative. Great Body antenna and screen resolution!!!!!
    How many Chinese who committed suicide after 36 hr shifts at the new raised $160 a month salary did it take to build iphone/ipad? Not good for Apple's humane image. Many supported apple over evil Microsoft... now many have killed themselves after working at factories making apple products. thats a fact. I dont hate apple, I just dont buy into the culture... and can not justify the $$$ for the product... with limited/controlled options.
    For me , its about open source, culture, and attitude... less control, more embracing of innovative ideas!!! Palm/ WEBOS.
    What i really want to read is what IOS4 features impressed you? you did a great jjob of breaking it down... please do that for the ios4 featurs that impressed you.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    How many Chinese who committed suicide after 36 hr shifts at the new raised $160 a month salary did it take to build iphone/ipad? Not good for Apple's humane image. Many supported apple over evil Microsoft... now many have killed themselves after working at factories making apple products. thats a fact. I dont hate apple, I just dont buy into the culture... and can not justify the $$$ for the product... with limited/controlled options.
    Seriously? You're going there?! I'll tell you what, you got me. At first it seemed like you came in here with a thought provoking discussion, but the more you talk the clearer your intentions become. You didnt come here looking for an intelligent discussion, you came here looking for a podium.

In looking back at your posts then you mention several times how youre surprised that so few people agree with you. Well, your points aren't as concrete as you think, but they're also not too far off base. But the reason nobody speaks up to defend "who is more innovative" is because nobody really cares about such a trivial question. The "innovation" war was old in the Mac vs PC days and it's playground material now. Actual users don't care about who is first or who copied who. They care about which product has what they want RIGHT NOW. (And if you include Homebrew as an answer then you can't ignore Jailbreaking because they are both user community supported methods of circumventing the manufacturers default)

You speak of culture and attitude and freedom and (groan) innovation. But rather than trying to prove who copied who (which is pointless because everyone copies everyone) then how about answer the simple question. What is it that you can do on a Homebrewed Pre that you CAN'T do on a Jailbroken iPhone. Im sure there's a list of things that can and can't be done on both sides, but I'm curious as to what it is that YOU in particular find so limiting about a product you have no desire in buying, using or even learning about.
    Although this topic was an interesting thought, it has ran it's course.

<<closed>>
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234