Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sorry, I don't see the point. webOS is far superior, iPhone ecosystem is far superior.

Comparing OSs means comparing OSs, not comparing ecosystems. Comparing hardware is comparing hardware, not comparing "overall experience". Do you want a great iPhoneOS 4 sample? get these:

1. Open your Youtube app to search a video.
    2. It loads the lastest and so on.
    3. Start searching.
    4. A wifi notification pops up showing some closed networks that you can't use.
    5. Dismiss.
    6. You don't remember exactly where to find the video, so go back to find the keywords.
    7. (Let's forget that you need to go back to the launcher and navigate trought your apps to find the relevant one), because of the "amazing multitasking of iPhoneOS".
    8. The app opens.
    9. You got the keywords.
    10. Go back to the launcher, and navigate (again) to the youtube app. Now easier, because of the "amazing multitasking of iPhoneOS".
    11. It opens (again),
    12. and loads (again) the newest and lastests.
    13. Again, the ****ing wifi popup shows up.
    14. Dismiss.
    15. Start searching.
    16. You find the video.
    17. You watch the video.

1. You open a game.
    2. It loads (not exactly instantly, it tooks various seconds).
    3. You start playing.
    4. You remember something you must do (put here what you want).
    5. You exit the app (amazing multitasking, as we'll see further).
    6. Navigate through your apps to find the relevant one.
    7. Do the thing you need to do.
    8. Go back to the game easily because of the "amazing multitasking of iPhoneOS".
    9. The game needs to load again (because it saves state, not the entire game in memory, again various seconds for loading and some seconds more to set you in your previous status) because of the "amazing multitasking of iPhoneOS".
    10. Continue gaming.

Great, isn't it? Tell me how to do the exactly same things with a webOS phone, and wich one of both OSs gives you a better experience.

iPhone hardware has raised the bar? perfect. (Always has happened, and so previously to iPhone, you didn't noticed this?). webOS continues being far superior to iPhoneOS.

And, for me, webOS works 100% of the time. And don't tell me about bugs, and that ****: google a bit for iPad email attachments.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 06/11/2010 at 08:42 AM.
    I am glad you guys love your WebOS. To me, WebOS sucks because it's not complete IS, and yes it's the most buggy OS I've ever used. Honestly, HP with give up on smartmarket after they try alittle for an year or two, slowly phase away. Like I always say, Pre is a novelty item at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I am glad you guys love your WebOS. To me, WebOS sucks because it's not complete IS, and yes it's the most buggy OS I've ever used. Honestly, HP with give up on smartmarket after they try alittle for an year or two, slowly phase away. Like I always say, Pre is a novelty item at best.
    Ok, read the previous post and answer me, please.
    I've been a Pre owner for almost a full year and love it. My wife uses an LG "smartphone" that has limited internet capabilities. She enjoys playing games on my Pre but she's never expressed the desire to have one of her own (or even a Pixi).

The other day one of her friends showed her their new Evo 4G. It would show the current weather on the screen and, when you shook it, a virtual "wiper blade" swiped the screen. Now my wife wants an Evo 4G.

My wife is a busy lady with various activities that she's involved in and webOS features would be extremely beneficial to her, IMO. However, it took a wiper blade to impress her enough to want a more robust device. Let's face it, most smartphone buyers are hooked in by the simplest of things. That's what leads me to believe that Palm's biggest failure was their initial marketing push. They failed to catch people's attention.
    Last edited by semprini; 06/11/2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Sorry, I don't see the point. webOS is far superior, iPhone ecosystem is far superior.

Comparing OSs means comparing OSs, not comparing ecosystems. Comparing hardware is comparing hardware, not comparing "overall experience". Do you want a great iPhoneOS 4 sample? get these:

1. Open your Youtube app to search a video.
    2. It loads the lastest and so on.
    3. Start searching.
    4. A wifi notification pops up showing some closed networks that you can't use.
    5. Dismiss.
    6. You don't remember exactly where to find the video, so go back to find the keywords.
    7. (Let's forget that you need to go back to the launcher and navigate trought your apps to find the relevant one), because of the "amazing multitasking of iPhoneOS".
    8. The app opens.
    9. You got the keywords.
    10. Go back to the launcher, and navigate (again) to the youtube app. Now easier, because of the "amazing multitasking of iPhoneOS".
    11. It opens (again),
    12. and loads (again) the newest and lastests.
    13. Again, the ****ing wifi popup shows up.
    14. Dismiss.
    15. Start searching.
    16. You find the video.
    17. You watch the video.

1. You open a game.
    2. It loads (not exactly instantly, it tooks various seconds).
    3. You start playing.
    4. You remember something you must do (put here what you want).
    5. You exit the app (amazing multitasking, as we'll see further).
    6. Navigate through your apps to find the relevant one.
    7. Do the thing you need to do.
    8. Go back to the game easily because of the "amazing multitasking of iPhoneOS".
    9. The game needs to load again (because it saves state, not the entire game in memory, again various seconds for loading and some seconds more to set you in your previous status) because of the "amazing multitasking of iPhoneOS".
    10. Continue gaming.

Great, isn't it? Tell me how to do the exactly same things with a webOS phone, and wich one of both OSs gives you a better experience.

iPhone hardware has raised the bar? perfect. (Always has happened, and so previously to iPhone, you didn't noticed this?). webOS continues being far superior to iPhoneOS.

And, for me, webOS works 100% of the time. And don't tell me about bugs, and that ****: google a bit for iPad email attachments.
    You've never really used an iPhone, have you?

You would have never typed out an erroneous list like that, if you'd actually ever used one vs. reading blogs about why iPhones suck, or something. You sort of just revealed yourself as an apple-hater with no real experience save what you read on blogs by people who hate apple.

Basically, the scenarios you just described are completely wrong.

As someone who has used both, I can say they both have their strengths and weaknesses but your attempt at being a fan just reeks of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    However, it took a wiper blade to impress her enough to want a more robust device.
    You can show her Cute Screen Cleaner

Its a lot better than wipers ;-)
    Last edited by ukabu; 06/11/2010 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

You would have never typed out an erroneous list like that, if you'd actually ever used one vs. reading blogs about why iPhones suck, or something. You sort of just revealed yourself as an apple-hater with no real experience save what you read on blogs by people who hate apple.

As someone who has used both, I can say they both have their strengths and weaknesses but your attempt at being a fan just reeks of ignorance.
    I have an iPhone everyday at my side, so don't tell me what I know or don't know. If I'm so wrong, tell me where...

(note that I'm talking about iOS4, if not, then there are more steps)
    Last edited by deCorvett; 06/11/2010 at 11:42 AM.
  8.    #48  

finngirl... coming from you that is classic. you are a fan... an iphone fan. Almost Every post i have read from you lately on this site is either promoting the iphone or defending it. SO, with all do respect, I ask you this question. If the iphone is the superior phone of choice for you... why do you spend so much time posting on this site against those that are fans of pre. Its really getting old. I think i know why... you miss the passion WEBOS users have for their devices... and just like to stir it up. You like the drama contributers like you create. Its almost like your addicted to it. You bought a new phone and enjoy . Congratulations! please answer deCorvett. Are you sure your iphone is stock os and not Jailbroken?
    You posting on this thread is appropriate. its 90% of the others that are confusing. Fan...you are a fan . Iphone FAN . WEBOS hater. In my opinion, A webos fan has faith in the future of WEBOS because of it's potential. An Iphone fan is trying to kick those trying to climb up the mountain.. to keep their idea of "superiority" in tact. Seems like we have a lot of haters on this site . The one thing you rarely see anymore after HP announcement is the PALM will FAIL posts. your phone will be obsolete in xxx.. bull****. I think haters see WEBOS as a threat. They also see its potential. They dismiss ubiquitous computing model as the future of smartphones and do not comment on it. It is the future... With HP scale... it will be the standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    I've been a Pre owner for almost a full year and love it. My wife uses an LG "smartphone" that has limited internet capabilities. She enjoys playing games on my Pre but she's never expressed the desire to have one of her own (or even a Pixi).

The other day one of her friends showed her their new Evo 4G. It would show the current weather on the screen and, when you shook it, a virtual "wiper blade" swiped the screen. Now my wife wants an Evo 4G.

My wife is a busy lady with various activities that she's involved in and webOS features would be extremely beneficial to her, IMO. However, it took a wiper blade to impress her enough to want a more robust device. Let's face it, most smartphone buyers are hooked in by the simplest of things. That's what leads me to believe that Palm's biggest failure was their initial marketing push. They failed to catch people's attention.
    Sadly, that's what a lot of people uses to decide what to buy.
    I have an iPhone everyday at my side, so don't tell me what I know or don't know. If I'm so wrong, tell me where...

(note that I'm talking about iOS4, if not, then there are more steps)

Well then, you don't know how to use it well, if your scenarios are true.

Just like the Pre, I suppose there is a learning curve in figuring out how to do things most efficiently.

For example, you are only getting notifications for things you have told the phone YOU WANT notifications for.
    Well then, you don't know how to use it well, if your scenarios are true.

Just like the Pre, I suppose there is a learning curve in figuring out how to do things most efficiently.

For example, you are only getting notifications for things you have told the phone YOU WANT notifications for.
    Yeah, I figured that you'll come with the notifications thing. But that's not the entire scenario...
    (and if you disable wifi notifications, then you'll have to go to the wifi tool to connect to any wifi... very efficient too.)
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    finngirl... coming from you that is classic. you are a fan... an iphone fan. Almost Every post i have read from you lately on this site is either promoting the iphone or defending it. SO, with all do respect, I ask you this question. If the iphone is the superior phone of choice for you... why do you spend so much time posting on this site against those that are fans of pre. Its really getting old. I think i know why... you miss the passion WEBOS users have for their devices... and just like to stir it up. You like the drama contributers like you create. Its almost like your addicted to it. You bought a new phone and enjoy . Congratulations! please answer deCorvett. Are you sure your iphone is stock os and not Jailbroken?
    You posting on this thread is appropriate. its 90% of the others that are confusing. Fan...you are a fan . Iphone FAN . WEBOS hater. In my opinion, A webos fan has faith in the future of WEBOS because of it's potential. An Iphone fan is trying to kick those trying to climb up the mountain.. to keep their idea of "superiority" in tact. Seems like we have a lot of haters on this site . The one thing you rarely see anymore after HP announcement is the PALM will FAIL posts. your phone will be obsolete in xxx.. bull****. I think haters see WEBOS as a threat. They also see its potential. They dismiss ubiquitous computing model as the future of smartphones and do not comment on it. It is the future... With HP scale... it will be the standard.
    My friend, I know it makes it easier to classify everyone into a category.

But some of us have used Palm for a long, long time, and were very excited about the newest entry, and then subsequently disappointed. I am not unusual in that regard. I was launch day; were you?

I read and post here in X-platform chat for precisely the reason of the post upthread: sometimes I just read plain wrong information being passed around as true.

Because I consider it a calling, I correct it when I read it.

When palm makes a great phone again - which I think is unlikely with HP, unfortunately, because I have a lot of time invested in Palm over the last 15 years - I'll be cheering them on.

When they dumped the productivity and calendar features and their strength in the business market, that they'd let slide to RIM, to go chase gaming, and Flash, and the iphone, they lost me.

Why create a new phone that leaves your best CURRENT customers in the lurch?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    with all do respect, I ask you this question. If the iphone is the superior phone of choice for you... why do you spend so much time posting on this site against those that are fans of pre. Its really getting old. I think i know why... you miss the passion WEBOS users have for their devices...
    No offense, but couldn't the same question be asked of you? I've never understood why someone who declares "I will NEVER buy an Apple product" can put so much effort in discussing and (attempting to) discredit Apple products. To me, 12yr old girls fighting about Team Jacob vs Team Edward makes more sense because at least both parties are invested in the same product, but lets say you somehow prove WebOS is better than iOS. Now what? It doesn't speed up hardware upgrades. It doesn't improve OS sluggishness. It doesn't add the missing apps. It doesn't even mean anything to prospective buyers. It seems to only mean someting to those who have nothing else to talk about due to Palms lack of news and gameplan.

BTW. This "passion" you speak of isn't a WebOS exclusive.
    That's another story. Personally, I'm ok with the current implementation of PIM, and frankly prefer the Sinergy model instead of local sync (name it as you prefer). But I don't think you've found a much better option in iOS until a relative small time ago...

(What I'm not sure is if Palm in the last days of PalmOS had any strenght in the bussiness market)
    That's another story. Personally, I'm ok with the current implementation of PIM, and frankly prefer the Sinergy model instead of local sync (name it as you prefer). But I don't think you've found a much better option in iOS until a relative small time ago...

(What I'm not sure is if Palm in the last days of PalmOS had any strenght in the bussiness market)
    Well, they didn't; they ceded most of their position to RIM and the Blackberry.

They used to be on top, but things change. I get that.

But I really, really thought with WebOS they would gain a leg back up. it never occurred to me in a million years that the contacts and calendaring and notes would be missing features that had been in PalmOS for ten years. Considering their initial fans would likely be coming from PalmOS (much in the same way iPhone's fans came from iPod users), it was perplexing to have left these unfinished.

And then the clamor for Flash and games - I could have cared less about those two things - I just wanted the old business functions to work at least as well as they did with the Treo.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    But some of us have used Palm for a long, long time, and were very excited about the newest entry, and then subsequently disappointed. I am not unusual in that regard. I was launch day; were you?
    That's something people here are quick to ignore. The Pre was a new product with new fans, but many of us are decade+ year old Palm users. We bought Palm Pilots at ridiculous prices and followed in frustration as Palm went from creating an industry to making mistakes which led to their downfall.

We may be hard on Palm, but it's not out of anything other than tough love for a company that keeps burying itself deeper year after year. This company is better than the products it's given us the last few years.
  17.    #57  
    "My friend, I know it makes it easier to classify everyone into a category. "
    Wow... Friend. How endearing. Thank You. But we barely know each other. From what I a tell, we have little in common... So I dont mean to hurt your feelings, but friends we are not. Apparently your decisions on friends are as bad as your one with smartphones.

"But some of us have used Palm for a long, long time, and were very excited about the newest entry, and then subsequently disappointed. I am not unusual in that regard. I was launch day; were you? "
    [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Now its getting clearer for me. See, your research skills are lacking big time. Take a look at my precentral join date... 7/09. I was at launch with and bought two phones... one for my wife. I dragged her over from T-mobile and convinced her to dump her VIP plan of 10 yrs.. to join sprint and Pre. A simple look at my profile would show you that.[/COLOR]

"I read and post here in X-platform chat for precisely the reason of the post upthread: sometimes" I just read plain wrong information being passed around as true. "

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Because I consider it a calling, I correct it when I read it. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Wow... delusional as well. Let me tell you what i think it is... you are bored, love being involved in passionate discussions, and with users that are technical, not just buying iphones because they heard it was the coolest best thing out. I understand... apple users are lame. But let me clarify your calling. Hanging around forums you should have left long ago... avoiding responding to direct questions because your wrong and have been called out.
    [/COLOR]
    Great, please dazzle us with your factsnot your bull****. we are waiting... still

"My friend, I know it makes it easier to classify everyone into a category. "
    and here you contradict yourself....
    [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Fan is a classification... is it not?[/COLOR]

"When palm makes a great phone again - which I think is unlikely with HP, unfortunately, because I have a lot of time invested in Palm over the last 15 years - I'll be cheering them on."
    The last thing HP palm needs is cheerleaders once they are on top. They need supporters/believers when they are not. But i think you just explained to all of us what your true calling is.."cheerleader for winning team". Palm looked like a winner and stumbled... so you left them for that Stud of an Iphone. Now you spend everyday on these forums cheering for the winning team. Cheerleader - thats your calling.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Because they are still finalizing the purchase. because it makes no sense to announce news at the same time as evo, iphone. because.
    I took the day off today so i have the extra time today. I enjoy the debate.
    Bottom line.... many of us love webos. we support palm. thats why we spend time posting and debating the issues with others.... who are in the dark, gave up on webos because its not for them, or just not willing to get behind a good thing until its a success. Now, i am going to fire up my pre and watch some World cup for free and kick off my weekend. I appreciate all comments... truely. [/COLOR]
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    That's something people here are quick to ignore. The Pre was a new product with new fans, but many of us are decade+ year old Palm users. We bought Palm Pilots at ridiculous prices and followed in frustration as Palm went from creating an industry to making mistakes which led to their downfall.

We may be hard on Palm, but it's not out of anything other than tough love for a company that keeps burying itself deeper year after year. This company is better than the products it's given us the last few years.
    I understand there is a lot of frsutration from die hard palm users over the years. I cant speak for pre pre ;-) era. But I was sold on webos since day one and at launch... and a very proud webos user.
    Sometimes you have to fall down... several times, before you can reap the benifits of lessons learned, and become a great success. proven and true... many times... apple included. Stay strong, believe
  19.    #59  
    keep in mind that if the iPhone never existed, the smartphone market would be years behind what it is today. That's why Apple is still the market leader - they set the standard for the entire industry.Interesting point, makes me wonder what WebOS would have looked like if iOS never existed... Would they have had the current aesthetic regardless of being inspired by Apple or not..? Would WebOS have been the market leader in terms of UI innovation?
    Keep in mind... if palm never started the smartphone market... who knows if apple would have found the demand necessary, or the INSPIRATION, to get into it themselves.
    Palm, Innovators..... Apple , improvers. Palm Innovators again with WEBOS.
    Palm created the smartphone market... Apple improved on it. Facts,
    Palm patented the front facing camara in 2002.... what was apple building?
    come on guys... your making this too easy. its almost pathetic.
    Yes apple deserves respect.... but thats not what this discussion is about.

thanks for posting
    Last edited by clutch1222; 06/11/2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Correct qoutation
    "The last thing HP palm needs is cheerleaders once they are on top. They need supporters/believers when they are not. But i think you just explained to all of us what your true calling is.."cheerleader for winning team". Palm looked like a winner and stumbled... so you left them for that Stud of an Iphone. Now you spend everyday on these forums cheering for the winning team. Cheerleader - thats your calling."

This is not college football. This is a company in business for profits, responsible to shareholders.

They have to earn my business, not assume it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast