Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I got an EVO 4G on launch day last Friday. I gotta say Android is not really what it is hyped up to be.

In case anyone is debating switching, here are my gripes.

• The UI and how you interact with it just seems so half baked compared to WebOS. Android doesn't really use gestures much. It a lot of press the menu button, or press and hold items for secondary menus.
    • Android may have way more apps than WebOS; but trust me, the quality of apps for WebOS far surpasses that of Android.
    • WebOS is way better at multitasking. You can't control how long apps stay open for without downloading a task manager and killing them. And it's somewhat annoying to switch between them by holding the home button for a couple seconds and then tapping the icon.

I'll probably add more, but that is just what I thought of off the top of my head. It's probably not all Android's fault, I've had my Pre for a year; so I'm trained to WebOS. But it just seems like I have to completely change my way of thinking to use Android.

I'd much rather use WebOS and will probably return my EVO soon and reactivate my Pre. My biggest gripe with it was the battery life. Maybe I'll just pick up a spare battery and carry that around with me.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    You know this is the wrong web site to talk about palm, pre or webOS.....you really mucked up now.

I'm just joking!!!
    Interesting...I've read reviews that the EVO's battery is pretty bad too. Is your experience that it's better or worse than the Pre battery?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Interesting...I've read reviews that the EVO's battery is pretty bad too. Is your experience that it's better or worse than the Pre battery?
    Definitely better than my pre. I'm not in a 4G area, so I leave the 4G radio off; which might have something to do with it.

Generally, I can unplug my EVO in the morning, and it would probably last until the next morning or afternoon. If I unpluged my Pre in the morning, it would be dead by bedtime or earlier.
    Join the club. I went from pre to htc hero and back to pre. The hero was a far better phone but android is junk. I dont know why its so hyped up. Android is just blocks of menus and ugly. I've said everything you just said in earlier posts.

Android is for people who havent used webos yet. They simply dont know theres something better. Notifications, email, marketplace, texting app, pretty much everything was so much better and just fun to use on webos that I sold my htc hero on ebay and purchased another pre. Webos is just fun to use and looks nice and refined that I end up playing with the phone constantly. No matter how fast the android phone is or how big the screen its still just another android phone. I expect your the first of many to come back my friend.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    ^ Yeah you summarized my feelings exactly.

After using Android for a few days, I just keep asking myself, "really?" Like is this (Android) really what people are so excited about? Even with the HTC Sense, the UI still looks terrible next to WebOS.

But of course, WebOS doesn't have the multi-million dollar marketing campaign like Android does on Verizon, so nobody knows about it. So they just kind of scoff it off.
    hmm very intresting...ive only played with android for roughly 5 mins or so, and feel the exact same way. It's good to hear your honest opinions
    I have my Pre still and I miss WebOS, This phone just gets worse and worse to deal with, if it's not batt life it's temperature. If I go with anything else it's just going to be a disappointment vs. WebOS.
    Yep... I stuck with android for 2 weeks thinking it would grow on me but it didn't. I even purchased a bunch of junk android apps. Its definitely not even close to webos if you ask me. The only good thing was that my battery lasted forever but I didnt mess with the phone at all cause it was no fun so I dont think that counts. The pre i am always messing with all day. Im staying with webos forever now. lol.

I dont think the pre is the best phone at all but webos really makes up for it.
    Is the Pixi at all better than the Pre? Although, I don't understand what they were thinking when they made it have a smaller screen than the Pre...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I even purchased a bunch of junk android apps. Its definitely not even close to webos if you ask me. The only good thing was that my battery lasted forever but I didnt mess with the phone at all cause it was no fun so I dont think that counts.
    Same story with me. I loved Tweed, Scoop, Pack 'n' Track, and Digloo on WebOS. I got some equivalent Android apps of Twidroid, NewsRob, Mobile Package Tracker. But they weren't nearly as functional or "pretty" as their WebOS counterparts.

And I think the "using it less" could be why my EVO battery lasted longer. I have noticed that I spend about half the time on it compared to what I would on my Pre.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    Is the Pixi at all better than the Pre? Although, I don't understand what they were thinking when they made it have a smaller screen than the Pre...
    A little off topic, but I'm convinced that the Pixi was the phone Palm was working on first. But then it wasn't powerful enough to handle WebOS, so they designed the Pre. Then they released the Pre and gave themselves more time to optimize WebOS for the Pixi hardware.
    oh, ouch. Thanks for the info.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    oh, ouch. Thanks for the info.
    It's completely my own assumptions. But I guess it would coincide with the seemingly rushed hardware design of the Pre and lack of hardware testing. (breaking power buttons, oreo twisting, general flimsiness)
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    A little off topic, but I'm convinced that the Pixi was the phone Palm was working on first. But then it wasn't powerful enough to handle WebOS, so they designed the Pre. Then they released the Pre and gave themselves more time to optimize WebOS for the Pixi hardware.

well it could of been the pixie (which explains how quickly it came out) but we know for sure what ever it was it was with a resistive screen. they started designing the pres hardware 1 year before launch, or one year before ces.. Not sure.. Either way that explains ALOT..
    i feel like i should throw in my own palm pre / evo 4g story. I've been using the palm pre since august. I hated the slowness of the os, and the stupid orea effect i had. I was been dying to get my hands on the evo when i heard about it way back in february. My pre got the crash when closing slider issue and i got a refurbished one which had absolutely no problems with it. I bought the evo 4g off ebay after the google i/o event so i got to spend 2 weeks with it before the actual release date.

the phone was wayyy too big for my hands or maybe i was just use to the pre small form factor. i couldnt hold the phone with one hand without the fear of dropping it. Having widgets and all the android apps were cool for a bit, but in the end the android os was too stressful to use. And having to use a task killer just to close apps was extremely annoy considering on the pre all i had to do was slide the card away. Long story short, i'm going to sell the evo back on ebay. thank god i didn't sell my perfect pre yet :] I just overclocked it and preware / patched it back up and gave it a nice new high def wallpaper and it feels like a brand new phone to me!
    I like this thread
    I want whatever phone you guys are raving about
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    I want whatever phone you guys are raving about
    me too

oh wait ... i already do!

I LOVE MY PRE!

Thanks for sharing with us how much you missed WebOS after trying the Evo. I do get the whole 'better hardware' thing, but the way the phone works is #1 and how it looks is #2.

Fortunately for me, I am very happy with both of them on the Pre.
    So far it's mostly UI people are complaining about. This would include the switching of apps.

Didn't Google just purchase someone for this?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast