Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    like I said before, webos is the best and everbody knows it, no matter what they say. Just look how happy those other sites are when they steal a palm engineer.
    Last edited by laingman; 06/12/2010 at 06:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    like I said before, webos is the best and everbody knows it, no matter what they say. Just look how happy those other sites are when they steal a palm engineer.
    Not exactly. People are excited because they (Apple, Google) are grabbing the people responsible for the best aspects of WebOS and hopefully transferring those strengths to weaknesses (e.g. Bland UI of Android, horrible notifications of iOS) in their own offerings.

No one is going to lose it if, say, RIM grabs the WebOS API guy or the person responsible for the barebones and laggy native apps. It will be much easier for Google and Apple to address those weaknesses than it will be for HPalm to finish WebOS, get a vibrant developer community, get top notch hardware, and correct the many weaknesses they must deal with.
    One more person added to the "I miss WebOs" club. I bought an Evo 24 hours ago , and just couldn't do android. The hardware is very impressive, very very impressive but let's be real... Android is clunky and not very intuitive. This is not my first venture into Android, I've owned a G1 for a while, and at the time coming from an Iphone I thought it was great. Then came WebOS, and it's hard for me to use any other mobile operation system since. WebOS is GREAT !

Some of the google apps were really really cool, google nav kicks ***, but that's not enough for me.

Sold the EVO last night on craigslist ... I'm happier now, and my pocket is alot lighter.
    Wow, I don't know how you guys do it, going back to that laggy, small screened, squeaky keyboard, TMC screaming Pre. Don't get me wrong, I used to love my Pre, but that marriage is over. Not sure what you guys who returned the Evo find so much easier in WebOS compared to Android? You swipe back and forth to see the different homescreens, you hit the back button when you want to go back, you hit the menu button for more options, you hit the home button to go home, and you hit the search button to do a search. This is difficult how?
    I guess it's more fun to patch the hell out of a pre to get it to work half as good as anything else on the market. webOS users are hanging on by a very thin homebrew thread
    Would it be possible for this not to turn into a Pre defense force vs. Android defense force thread? I really don't want to close it, there is some interesting stuff in here.

That's not to say that we can't debate the relative merits of both, but let's try to recognize that different people have different needs and not everyone sees things the same way.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Got my wife a Evo on launch day. My first impression was that Android's ui sucks, even with sense. After using it daily for a week, I hate how android handles multitasking. The built in browser sucks and so do 3rd party ones.

I can only wish for webos on hardware like that.
    You have to get Dolphin HD2 . Released today for Android . Absolutley the best mobile browser I have ever use. Also released today was a new version of k-9 email and again one of the best email clients so far. Its very similar to snaperfish for palm os. And multi tasking is incredible as long as you got the rght apps. Task OS ( or multi task manager) allow you to hold down a button and go app to app. Out of the box Android has a terrible email client and junk browse and multitasking is clunky BUT there are so many apps that you can make Android work like webos and there all free. and the pre browser is not as good as the stock android browser but the pre email client is a little better then the stock email client. The only think the pre really does that android does not is throwing away cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    Got my wife a Evo on launch day. My first impression was that Android's ui sucks, even with sense. After using it daily for a week, I hate how android handles multitasking. The built in browser sucks and so do 3rd party ones.

Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/13/2010 at 12:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post

Not sure what you mean by the Pre's browser is better than what you find on Android... because that certainly isn't the case.

And to say that third-party browsers suck as well ... well at least you have the option of choice. Just sayin' ...
    How does the Evos browser suck? Enlighten me please? That thing is screaming fast, even 3G it loads up pages way faster than the Pre did. I did a little test and went to the Phonedog website from both phones. I had the Pre on Wifi and only used 3G on the Evo. Both browsers were open with the URL typed in and I hit the go button at the same time. The Evo won easily!

Also, posting in the forums from the Evo is a dream. As soon as you click on the text entry field for a reply or a new post it takes you to a dedicated typing field, just as if you were texting. From there you can see what you are writing. On the Pre, you had to scroll back and forth just to see if you typed everything correctly, a major pain!

The word wrap in the browser is great too, not that you really need it because the Evo screen is big enough that you can (or at least I can) read the entire text without zooming in. But once you do zoom in, the Evo's browser reformats the text quickly so you don't have to pan left to right.

All the sites that I tried that have flash videos included work fine....yes, even "Those" sites. Hulu of course does not work.

To say that the Pre browser is better is absolutely rediculous, I have used it a lot over the last year, and browsing on the Evo with the stock browser is a dream in comparison.
    Hey Evo guy's androidcentral.com check it out.
    you see this forum says "Other Devices" . this is not the Pre exclusive Section .
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/13/2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrazy88 View Post
    Hey Evo guy's androidcentral.com check it out.
    I am there too. But since this is cross platform chat, comparing the Pre to the Evo is a valid topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Wow, I don't know how you guys do it, going back to that laggy, small screened, squeaky keyboard, TMC screaming Pre. Don't get me wrong, I used to love my Pre, but that marriage is over. Not sure what you guys who returned the Evo find so much easier in WebOS compared to Android? You swipe back and forth to see the different homescreens, you hit the back button when you want to go back, you hit the menu button for more options, you hit the home button to go home, and you hit the search button to do a search. This is difficult how?
    Laggy? 800mhz kernal & use Preware to restart your java.
    TMC error? Restart your java.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I am there too. But since this is cross platform chat, comparing the Pre to the Evo is a valid topic.
    Very true Most enjoy hearing and learning about the differences (myself included).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Laggy? 800mhz kernal & use Preware to restart your java.
    TMC error? Restart your java.
    it shouldn't have to be this way
    I have never had a tmc error. I'm on sprint pre since launch. What are you guys doing to get these?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I have never had a tmc error. I'm on sprint pre since launch. What are you guys doing to get these?
    lol, you're acting like this is an unheard of issue. remember palm directly addressed the TMC issue as part of the last update, which at first seemed to make things better, but not really as most people have found out
    Last edited by kbritt31; 06/13/2010 at 03:56 PM.
    I get TMC every day . Got so annoying I wanted to throw my phone into a wall.
    Yes, and there's a similar thread there also.
    I like to hear from both perspectives.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast