Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPre View Post
    OK, so I am a mid- to upper-intermediate techie...I have done a lot of customization with Preware...I am a 1st week (3 days after launch...same as with EVO) June 2009 Pre owner. Can you post a guide how to SAFELY ROOT (if there is such a thing), do changes to ROM, etc. in the manner that you did it? Many could use this info, I am sure...until Palm can give us the hardware we need to come back (although I may come back to the Pre anyway if I can't do the ROM/Rooting changes on the EVO).
    Your questions are all answered here:
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/hack...ing-noobs.html
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Oh and I forgot to tell you guys. I did go to the Sprint store today to return the EVO and switch back to my Pre..... BOY DID I GET SOME LOOKS from the staff.

The first guy that was helping me was of course an Android fan. So he was all "why you want to return it." I responded with "I just wasn't that impressed with Android, WebOS is better in my opinion." He had never returned a phone before, so he asked someone else how to. She came over and was all like "what's wrong with your EVO? Why you wanna return it." I responded the same before. Then finally, a manager needed to approve the return, and he just kind of rolled his eyes that I'm returning the EVO to go back to my Pre.

But it's all returned now. Unfortunately, I have to wait 90 days for my upgrade eligibility to be reinstated.

Also, it was kind of depressing while waiting in the store. A teenage girl (probably like 17-18) came in with her mom. Went to the sales rep and said she wanted a phone she could browse the internet with, etc. And of course the rep shows her a blackberry, passes right over the Pre/Pixi, and shows her the android phones. I kind of wanted to say something something but I didn't. Like, the Pre was practically designed for teenage girls, it has a mirror on it for Christ's sake. That and a Blackberry would be way to businessy and android is too nerdy/technical for teenage girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Interesting comments about the battery, I saw it before the launch and it was huge compared to Pre. Given the size of the screen I guess it had to be, but it must have been about 2.5+ x larger than pre battery.

How do you like that big screen?
    FYI, the Evo battery is 1500mAh and the Pre battery is 1150mAh. Not even 50% bigger.

Early reports are that battery life on the Evo is no better with the 4G radio turned on (which is most places...)
    Actually to me Android is very close to WinMo. The apps may be powerful but lack any polish, same with the UI. I really want to try the Evo but I keep coming up with good reasons to keep my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpilot172 View Post
    Actually to me Android is very close to WinMo. The apps may be powerful but lack any polish, same with the UI. I really want to try the Evo but I keep coming up with good reasons to keep my Pre.
    I totally agree....I was totally thinking about it when I walked into the Sprint store...but then saw how big it was and the menus you have to click through. But like I mentioned in a previous post, the thing that discouraged me was that it seemed sluggish and screen wasn't crisp like the Pre's even with a bigger screen and faster processor.

sticking with the Pre.
    Currrent pre users since launch.

The "clunky" of android you people keep reporting are waaaay overblown but to each their own.

I love WebOS but android is real close to it in UI way...but if thats Pre's only plus over it, i'll take the sturdier phone, more support, better updates plus better battery over gesture.

Thats just me though! But if Palm gets their **** together next year i'll be back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Currrent pre users since launch.

The "clunky" of android you people keep reporting are waaaay overblown but to each their own.

I love WebOS but android is real close to it in UI way...but if thats Pre's only plus over it, i'll take the sturdier phone, more support, better updates plus better battery over gesture.

Thats just me though! But if Palm gets their **** together next year i'll be back.
    I agree. I loved webos but hated the hardware. I traded my pre for the Hero and gave it to my wife then i got the evo on launch day. I did this because u have to maintain the pre. Overclocked was great but over heated all the time. To much trouble to pass to my wife. I love the evo. Battery life for me is awsome. I only charge it once a day and use it alot. It is very responsive and fast. Webos is better then android. I will return to webos when palm and or hp gets there head out of there a@@ and backs it up with hardware. I can run pandra by blue tooth in the car and the evo does not overheat or shut off. The evo is great
    I've had 3 iphones (work pays for the iPhones) and kept going back to my Nokias. When ATT got the Pre, I almost didn't get it due to the ATTification. I relented and got it and all they took from me is Navigation-free on Nokia. I miss the Nokia but I must say the Pre has the best UI that I've ever used. The way it feels in my hand, the proportions are perfect for one handed operation. I used nearly a gig when I first got the Pre. Like others have said, it's so much fun to use I can't put it down. I've just about quit using my desktop.
    I tried an EVO the other day at BestBuy and it's huge! I would feel like everybody in the airport could look over my shoulder and read my emails. It almost feels like a mini-tablet.
    It feels that big to me.
    I love my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I'd much rather use WebOS and will probably return my EVO soon and reactivate my Pre. My biggest gripe with it was the battery life. Maybe I'll just pick up a spare battery and carry that around with me.
    On battery life. If you are sprint (or verizon?), and are in a poor coverage area (and even if you aren't), try switching from EVDO Hybrid Rev A to Rev 0. That fixed all of my battery drain issues. The cell radio chatting with A towers seems to kill things really quickly. Just type '##EVDO#' in the phone dialer.

No real drawback, unless you send a lot of pictures or videos with MMS or something. Download speed is a little slower than A, but perfectly acceptable, including streaming radio stations at 128Kbps.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's funny, how you guys talk about how great a UI WebOS is and how well the applications look and are built.. if that's what means the most to you then why do none of you have an iPhone?.
    Uhhh. Because the UI on the iphone sucks? Have you seen how it handles notifications? Messaging? Have you seen how click-the-icon-happy you have to be to use it? Oh yeah...you have to jailbreak it to do anything interesting with it, and even then you are a bit limited. WebOS is open to tinker with out of the box. My best example is the if-up scripts I wrote to automatically take care of certain things based on what network I am on (synching contacts to my soundbridge, only enabling ssh when on a trusted network, downloading the latest ad-blocking hosts file, etc). WebOS is the place to be for easy use and modification of the underlying OS. And the UI is intuitive, consistent, efficient, and fun to use. The iphone is none of that.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    You don't think you're being a little bit hyperbolic? I'm not a WebOS basher in any way, I love the platform, but I'm not going back to WebOS unless Palm comes out with hardware at least comparable to the newest smartphones and is able to rid WebOS of a lot of its sluggishness. I used my Pre for a year, defended it as the best phone available, bought my wife a pixi, recommended it to everyone I know, but using the EVO is a better experience than using the Pre.
    Egggggsssactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    Is the Pixi at all better than the Pre? Although, I don't understand what they were thinking when they made it have a smaller screen than the Pre...
    Whether the Pixi is "better" than the Pre is very subjective. I own a Pixi and I personally like it better because of the form factor. It may not be as fast as the Pre or have Wifi (I have the original model), but it works just fine for my needs. Very slim, lightweight, and fits in my front pocket nicely.

So far as the EVO and Android, my wife got a EVO on Monday and I played around with it a bit. I agree completely with the comments here regarding the Android OS. If I've never used WebOS I probably would be satisfied with Android, but after using WebOS there's no comparison.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    for multitasking, no phone truly multitasks, at least in the sense that you can on a desktop.

There really is no difference between Android and WebOS. Just because you swipe a card up and close it doesn't mean the application has fully closed. How do you think you receive notifications in the "background" on WebOS? Because applications continue to run in the background. Just like on Android, you have to make sure an application is setup to not run in the background
    sorry but as a dev I can say you don't know what your talking about, when a user closes (throws away) an app in webOS the application is entirely closed, no application can do anything longer than 60 seconds without showing some type of Visual indicator (a banner or dashboard), there is a "watchdog" that closes down any script running longer than 60seconds, the way notifications work is, the system will "wake" your application to check for data. So in short in webOS when you don't see a banner or card of an application, the application isn't running, unless it's doing it's "less than 60 second check".
    that certainly doesn't bode with my TMC errors with 1 card open and not even fixing after i close it.

Thank you Jstop.
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    Whether the Pixi is "better" than the Pre is very subjective. I own a Pixi and I personally like it better because of the form factor. It may not be as fast as the Pre or have Wifi (I have the original model), but it works just fine for my needs. Very slim, lightweight, and fits in my front pocket nicely.
    I saw it today at a Sprint store. I wasn't impressed. It's a smaller screen than what I already have to start with. On top of that it's bulkier since it's bigger but not that much thinner than what I have. It doesn't have wifi... ? odd.
    i also went to evo wife has pixi but i will be back once webos is on a much more powerful platform how i miss webos
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Well, my Evo battery lasts 2x as long as my Pre's battery.
    But I do miss gestures. That was just so simple and quick to use.

I wish there was a better way to multitask as well.

However, past the user interface comes widgets, customization, features, etc...
    Android has more features than iphone and webOS out of the box.
    Like the old saying goes, different strokes for different folks. I had my pre since launch day, but now it's laying around on my desk, the bigger battery stripped from it (given to a friend that still uses the Pre....actually, he is the ONLY friend that still uses his Pre and he is about to switch), and I don't miss it at all. I don't miss the creaky physical keyboard, I don't miss that stupid backwards swiping, which to me is an awkward maneuvers, seems much easier to just hit the button. I definitely don't miss the tiny screen or the TMC error (I got the Sprint version). Really, there is nothing I miss from the Pre, it feels like a toy phone compared to the Evo.
    Ouch, does your Z28 feel like a toy too? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    Ouch, does your Z28 feel like a toy too? lol
    Yep it does, because that's what it is. It's got a lot of work done to the engine and suspension and isn't quite as comfortable anymore.

But, back on topic, the smallness of the Pre together with its cheap hardware really does make it feel like a little to compared to the Evo, which can do without moving parts and really is solidly built. Yeah, the Evo is not perfect, sometimes an app does a force close, but as soon as you click on OK, the app restarts immediately and runs fine.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast