Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Interesting comments about the battery, I saw it before the launch and it was huge compared to Pre. Given the size of the screen I guess it had to be, but it must have been about 2.5+ x larger than pre battery.

How do you like that big screen?

Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I got an EVO 4G on launch day last Friday. I gotta say Android is not really what it is hyped up to be.

In case anyone is debating switching, here are my gripes.

• The UI and how you interact with it just seems so half baked compared to WebOS. Android doesn't really use gestures much. It a lot of press the menu button, or press and hold items for secondary menus.
    • Android may have way more apps than WebOS; but trust me, the quality of apps for WebOS far surpasses that of Android.
    • WebOS is way better at multitasking. You can't control how long apps stay open for without downloading a task manager and killing them. And it's somewhat annoying to switch between them by holding the home button for a couple seconds and then tapping the icon.

I'll probably add more, but that is just what I thought of off the top of my head. It's probably not all Android's fault, I've had my Pre for a year; so I'm trained to WebOS. But it just seems like I have to completely change my way of thinking to use Android.

I'd much rather use WebOS and will probably return my EVO soon and reactivate my Pre. My biggest gripe with it was the battery life. Maybe I'll just pick up a spare battery and carry that around with me.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    They have Android running on iphone. Someone should hack web OS to run on HTC phones. With a screen that big, bottom of it could be utilized for the gesture area.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Interesting...I've read reviews that the EVO's battery is pretty bad too. Is your experience that it's better or worse than the Pre battery?
    Root + OverclockWidget = Insane Battery Life 40+ Hours - Android Forums
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    How do you like that big screen?
    The big screen is nice I must say. It feels weird to hold a Pre since it seems so small. But in the end, I think I would be happy with something between the Pre's 3.1" and the EVO's 4.3"
    the evo's battery was pretty horrible if you actually used it. The 4g radio in the phone is really spotty and would always bounce between bars and even revert back to 3g. Also since the android os likes to "multitask" in the background, opening all these useless apps for no apparent reason, the battery would drain quickly. I think the main problem for the battery drain is from the android os /apps and the 4g radio. I doubt the overclocking / underclock widget would do much for the battery life
    I got the Evo and i still have my pre and my wifes pixie activated. I do miss webos! that is the one thing that cant be replaced. Other than that, the evo is a way better phone all around. I have already rooted and added some changes to the ROM to my likings, including free wifi hotspot and overclocking, and the phone is growing on me more and more each day. Just think if you had to run the pre without preware. It would not be as fun as it is without it. This is the equivalent for rooting the android. It needs to be rooted in order to customize it to your liking. Battery so far is equal if not slightly better than the pre. processor is way faster obviously, screen size, 8mp camera + 1.3 mp camera on front is a nice perk.Internet browser is way faster than my pre ever was on 3g.( im still on 3g with the evo.) but i do miss the form factor of webos.
    To those that have made the jump to the evo, DONT use any task killers. It corrupts the files and causes it to run worse and worse over time. The android system will automatically kill any task if more memory is needed or if it is unused for a certain amount of time. Uninstall all task killer apps and you will see it runs better.
    To my Palm peeps, im still fidgeting with my Palm Pre and Pixi but my main phone will be the Evo until Palm, or HP releases an equivelent.Been with Palm phones off and on for over 5 years and i am just needing something new and faster for now, Palm takes too long and i get bored fast. Call me a traitor if you like but i do still love Webos, but its the Palm hardware i can do without. If anyone ever finds a way to flash my Evo with Webos, i, would be the happiest man in the world.
    I'm still using my Palm and still on this web site so i"ll see you all around still.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I got an EVO 4G on launch day last Friday. I gotta say Android is not really what it is hyped up to be.

In case anyone is debating switching, here are my gripes.

• The UI and how you interact with it just seems so half baked compared to WebOS. Android doesn't really use gestures much. It a lot of press the menu button, or press and hold items for secondary menus.
    • Android may have way more apps than WebOS; but trust me, the quality of apps for WebOS far surpasses that of Android.
    • WebOS is way better at multitasking. You can't control how long apps stay open for without downloading a task manager and killing them. And it's somewhat annoying to switch between them by holding the home button for a couple seconds and then tapping the icon.

I'll probably add more, but that is just what I thought of off the top of my head. It's probably not all Android's fault, I've had my Pre for a year; so I'm trained to WebOS. But it just seems like I have to completely change my way of thinking to use Android.

I'd much rather use WebOS and will probably return my EVO soon and reactivate my Pre. My biggest gripe with it was the battery life. Maybe I'll just pick up a spare battery and carry that around with me.
    I could not agree more and I am also on the fence. Will the FroYo (Android 2.2) upgrade help?
    Google unveils 10 huge improvements in 'FroYo,' Android 2.2 | Software News - Betanews

It doesn't sound like it will help with these issues that you've mentioned.
    I would add that copy and paste is really difficult.

I am not techie enough to think I can change my Rom and do all of that rooting stuff so I may go back to the Pre...I can't believe I am saying this! lol
    Well had my Pre since launch day, with no problems. NOW...one day after Mfg warranty, my power button gets stuck, so I take it into the Sprint store for repair. The people were nice and all, but the guy did a sorry job of the repair...in fact afterwards I looked and it and fixed it better myself.

I got to play with the Evo while waiting 30min. First impressions: YUCK!
    Here is a bit more detail so people don't go trolling about the YUCK!

1) OS - even with 1Ghz processor was as slow as the 500-600MHz WebOS, with 720-800MHz overclock Pre seemed faster.
    2) UI - too many buttons and menus to go through to get to where you wanted to be. Definitely not user friendly. If you want to test a device (in my case) give it to your spouse (if un-tech savy like mine) and see if they can use it. My wife can use my Pre, she couldn't the Evo. Also the clutter on the top bar and the lock screen is f-ugly, Plam hit the mark with the screen display.
    3) Hardware - Sturdy! a brick...literally. Solid and slim, not much slimmer then the Pre as most make it to be. Who in the he!! would ever want to carry that tablet in your pocket on on a belt clip...GEEZ! The screen is not half as nice as the Pre IMHO. But the feel is solid, just too big.
    4) Apps - didnt really mess with it as it is not my phone, but for what I use Palm as plenty of apps that work for me...minus productivity ware.
    5) Speed - Wifi is still better of course, loaded some stuff faster then the Pre, but not fast enough to warrant leaving WebOS.

Overall...GLAD I am sticking with Palm Pre WebOS. I sure hope they have a next version coming out soon. Only reason I haven't go the wife a Pre is the hardware sturdiness as she is roguh on phones, and can't get her a Pixi as we need Wifi for data in our house using the Airave. If Sprint ever gets a Pixi Plus she will have WebOS too.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx62391@yahoo.com View Post
    I got the Evo and i still have my pre and my wifes pixie activated. I do miss webos! that is the one thing that cant be replaced. Other than that, the evo is a way better phone all around. I have already rooted and added some changes to the ROM to my likings, including free wifi hotspot and overclocking, and the phone is growing on me more and more each day. Just think if you had to run the pre without preware. It would not be as fun as it is without it. This is the equivalent for rooting the android. It needs to be rooted in order to customize it to your liking. Battery so far is equal if not slightly better than the pre. processor is way faster obviously, screen size, 8mp camera + 1.3 mp camera on front is a nice perk.Internet browser is way faster than my pre ever was on 3g.( im still on 3g with the evo.) but i do miss the form factor of webos.
    To those that have made the jump to the evo, DONT use any task killers. It corrupts the files and causes it to run worse and worse over time. The android system will automatically kill any task if more memory is needed or if it is unused for a certain amount of time. Uninstall all task killer apps and you will see it runs better.
    To my Palm peeps, im still fidgeting with my Palm Pre and Pixi but my main phone will be the Evo until Palm, or HP releases an equivelent.Been with Palm phones off and on for over 5 years and i am just needing something new and faster for now, Palm takes too long and i get bored fast. Call me a traitor if you like but i do still love Webos, but its the Palm hardware i can do without. If anyone ever finds a way to flash my Evo with Webos, i, would be the happiest man in the world.
    I'm still using my Palm and still on this web site so i"ll see you all around still.
    OK, so I am a mid- to upper-intermediate techie...I have done a lot of customization with Preware...I am a 1st week (3 days after launch...same as with EVO) June 2009 Pre owner. Can you post a guide how to SAFELY ROOT (if there is such a thing), do changes to ROM, etc. in the manner that you did it? Many could use this info, I am sure...until Palm can give us the hardware we need to come back (although I may come back to the Pre anyway if I can't do the ROM/Rooting changes on the EVO).
    It's funny, how you guys talk about how great a UI WebOS is and how well the applications look and are built.. if that's what means the most to you then why do none of you have an iPhone?

As for multitasking, no phone truly multitasks, at least in the sense that you can on a desktop.

There really is no difference between Android and WebOS. Just because you swipe a card up and close it doesn't mean the application has fully closed. How do you think you receive notifications in the "background" on WebOS? Because applications continue to run in the background. Just like on Android, you have to make sure an application is setup to not run in the background.

Not to mention, the dreaded memory leaks found on WebOS. But that's a discussion for another time. To each their own. The Evo seems to be doing fairly well, considering it's sold out everywhere. And you know what's funny? I haven't seen a single advertisement on TV or elsewhere (other than a few internet ads).

Goes to show that marketing isn't everything.
    Last edited by barkerja; 06/09/2010 at 02:06 PM.
    Android's handling of multi-tasking make me feel I 'm using a Window mobile 6.
    Android is popular for no reason but it is free to the Manufacturer.
    To Google, they provide it free only for getting the new comers of googlemail registration or your privacy.

It is funny every basher of WebOS has never used WebOS and
    every WebOS switcher has tried Android and IphoneOS before they return to WebOS.

I guess this is the difference between objective and subjective
    Last edited by lawtony; 06/09/2010 at 02:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawtony View Post

It is funny every basher of WebOS has never used WebOS and
    every WebOS switcher has tried Android and IphoneOS before they return to WebOS.

I guess this is the difference between objective and subjective
    You don't think you're being a little bit hyperbolic? I'm not a WebOS basher in any way, I love the platform, but I'm not going back to WebOS unless Palm comes out with hardware at least comparable to the newest smartphones and is able to rid WebOS of a lot of its sluggishness. I used my Pre for a year, defended it as the best phone available, bought my wife a pixi, recommended it to everyone I know, but using the EVO is a better experience than using the Pre.
    @ barkerja

So you're suggesting iPhone UI is better? Granted I haven't used iOS4, so it could be a revelation, but the current iPhone OS UI isn't comparable to webOS. It's all tap, tap, tap. Ugly widgets (compare the Pandora app in both OS'), weird UI decisions (so tapping a combo box opens a sort of split screen thing at the bottom to use it - wth - first time I saw that it took me a while to realize what was happening, but I had used webOS before iPhone OS), modal notifications, even the little things such as can't see your wallpaper when the launcher is open.

I've had my Pre since November, my wife got her 3GS about 3 weeks ago, so you could say I'm just not used to it but seriously, why should I get used to an inferior OS when I learned to use a better one first? iOS4 better manage some of these UI problems (though they still don't seem to be interested in a gesture area, a webOS detail that I think trumps all).

And yes, webOS does do multi-tasking. I guess you haven't used it much, but it's fairly common for me at work to have Pandora running at the same time as Time Tracker, and Newsroom. It's usually on the Time Tracker card so I can switch between project tasks quickly (and that's helped me with my project tracking tremendously), and Pandora drops little notifications in the dashboard which allow me to thumbs up or thumbs down whichever song comes up... or I can go to the full app by doing the full swipe gesture (the one they call and advanced gesture in preferences) to skip it without thumbing it down if that's what I want, and I can sneak a peak at my RSS feeds every once in a while as well. No needing to hold down any button to choose from a menu, no hunting down task names or icons in a task bar, just very simple swipes. That IS multi-tasking on a mobile device.

I've also had Pandora running in my car at the same time as Sprint GPS, and done all sorts of other combinations as well. At first I thought multi-tasking wouldn't be a big deal, but now I wouldn't go back, and webOS has some tremendously well thought out tools to handle it. See, Android devices, iPhone devices, and the new Windows 7 devices don't seem to have a good handle on an efficient way to handle multi-tasking. Palm came up with a very simple, intuitive, and fun to use way to handle it. All those other devices can do as many OS revisions as they want, but they all have a basic design that isn't as good as webOS' is for handling multiple tasks. So, yea, webOS does have memory leak issues; they drive me batty. But its foundation, it's base ideas, are extremely well thought out and implemented; the OS just needs optimizing, which is simpler than a full rebuild. If Palm were to suddenly give up on the gesture area and go the way of iOS or Android, they could. If Apple or Google wanted to implement a gesture area and go the way of webOS they can't, unless they come up with a new device that fragments their market in a serious way.

Of course, right now we're at the position that Palm does need to show new hardware. I'd love to stay on webOS, but an overclocked Pre is a bit sluggish right now, in a year it'd be unbearable compared to other devices. I hope HP doesn't forget how many users they have on webOS phones now, because as I said, I believe webOS' foundation is the best thought out at this point. Unfortunately, it's also the current mobile OS with the weakest hardware.
    Can WebOS be ported into an Evo? Problem solved for all of us?

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVTech View Post
    Can WebOS be ported into an Evo? Problem solved for all of us?
    Wish I could mod this up 111^!11 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's funny, how you guys talk about how great a UI WebOS is and how well the applications look and are built.. if that's what means the most to you then why do none of you have an iPhone?

As for multitasking, no phone truly multitasks, at least in the sense that you can on a desktop.

There really is no difference between Android and WebOS. Just because you swipe a card up and close it doesn't mean the application has fully closed. How do you think you receive notifications in the "background" on WebOS? Because applications continue to run in the background. Just like on Android, you have to make sure an application is setup to not run in the background.

Not to mention, the dreaded memory leaks found on WebOS. But that's a discussion for another time. To each their own. The Evo seems to be doing fairly well, considering it's sold out everywhere. And you know what's funny? I haven't seen a single advertisement on TV or elsewhere (other than a few internet ads).

??? are you kidding?

a) I don't have an iPhone because I won't/can't use AT&T.

2) webOS sure does do true multi-tasking. Apps with notifications have an option to be enabled or disabled. If scheduled updates or notifications are turned off - it REALLY does close

D) Here is an example of useful and actual multi-tasking. I can scroll the list of "New Posts" in this forum. For any item that looks interesting, I gesture+tap to have it open in a new browser card. It continues to load while I return to the list and continue doing the same thing. I might have 5, 10, or 20 browser cards loading at the same time and open so that I can look through them without ever hitting the back button. Same works when I'm shopping and I want to check prices or inventory on line (happened at Home Depot last Sunday)...

and if you haven't seen any Evo ads... we know that you are watching dirty movies that don't have commercials. I have seen tons of Sprint ads for the Evo. The tag line is "what can you do with FIRST"...

full disclosure, there is a patch required to have the link open in a separate browser card... but it provides the same experience I would have on my desktop if I used the "open in new window" option when I right-click on a link in a browser...

Ps, extra credit to anyone that recognizes the movie reference in how I numbered my bullet points...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/09/2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Sprint has better plans, prices, and coverage than AT&T. So I choose my carrier first (Sprint) and then my phone second. If the iPhone was on Sprint, I would seriously consider getting it. But it's not, so the Pre is currently the next best thing.

What you are describing is running background services. Services and and the actual apps are two different things. This is the same in Android and WebOS in that the service runs irregardless of whether the actual app is open or not. Now for the actual app (screen, card, etc.), that closes on WebOS once you flick the card away. On Android, that continues running in the background as well, but in a somewhat limited state (assuming it was programmed properly). Once Android has run out of memory, it closes your least recently used app.

I have actually seen EVO television commercials played prominently on big, primetime, broadcast TV shows. I'm surprised you haven't seen it. .

With the TV and web advertisements, it is not significantly more than the Pre's launch marketing campaign; but it is bigger. Verizon has already done all the work of spending millions to get people to recognize Android and know what it is. Sprint is just mooching off of that.
    Android needs a whole remake if you ask me. Its not even close to webos. Its funny cause I hated the pre (hardware) and was looking to switch for so long. Then when I went to android I realized another pre was worth the risk lol. (webos)

Imagine the htc evo came out with webos on it... I feel like webos needs hardware that inspires that kind of publicity and catapults webos into the fight again. People just havent used webos and dont know about it. Palm needs a super phone thats so bad *** it creates that wow! factor.
    Maybe it's just me, but I find the Android UI to be very similar to the iPhone UI. Anyone else see it that way? Home button, returning to a starting point, etc...

Not necessarily bad. I'm sure that Android designers worked hard to copy Iphone where they could, and they worked even harder to avoid patent infringement...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast