Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Sprint just posted a News Release, and they "inadvertently erred in the comparison" that they sold 3x the number of EVOS than Pres

It was really the same number of EVOs sold as they sold Palm Pres

We originally reported that the total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was three times the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined. We inadvertently erred in the comparison. The total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was in line with the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined.

Sprint | News Release
    Hi all,

Well it seems that Sprint told us a major Lie!!! The EVO didn't sell as well as they stated, In fact, it sold the same as THE PRE & THE INSTINCT, COMBINE!

I am not surprised, b/c there are still a lot of areas, were the 4G system is not up and running!

Take care, Jay

Sprint Says It Overstated EVO Launch Day Sales
    By REUTERS June 9, 2010, Filed at 12:44 a.m. ET

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/...gewanted=print

NEW YORK/BANGALORE (Reuters) - Sprint Nextel Corp said on Tuesday it had inadvertently overstated the launch day sales of the much anticipated EVO 4G phone from HTC Corp, which is touted as a serious competitor to Apple's iPhone 4.

Sprint said on Tuesday the total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on the launch day was in line with the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined.

"We originally reported that the total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was three times the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined.

"We inadvertently erred in the comparison," Sprint said in a statement on Tuesday.

BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk said he was cutting his estimate for EVO sales in the first weekend to 150,000 from his prior estimate of 250,000 to 300,000.

"Furthermore, our calls to 20 plus stores today indicate that the phone is in short supply, so we do not expect that number to rise significantly in the first week of sales," Piecyk said.

The No. 3 U.S. wireless service provider said it sold six times more EVO phones on the launch date than it did Instinct phones from Samsung Electronics.

Sprint is hoping EVO will help it stem customer losses and give it a head start in selling 4G services. Its biggest rival, Verizon Wireless, a venture of Verizon Communications Inc and Vodafone Group Plc, plans to launch 4G services later this year.

(Reporting by Sinead Carew and Sakthi Prasad; Editing by Steve Orlofsky and Valerie Lee)
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    You might want to re-read that quote... it says that the number of EVO devices was 'in line' with the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined. They just messed up on how they were comparing.

What the quote says: Instinct sales + Pre sales = EVO sales totals (close to this number)

Thanks though!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Well it seems that Sprint told us a major Lie!!! The EVO didn't sell as well as they stated, In fact, it sold the same as THE PRE & THE INSTINCT, COMBINE!
    So if Sprint sells as many EVOs in one day as it took them to sell a combination of Pres and Instincts in three days...doesn't that mean the EVO outsold the Pre? By a huge margin?
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You might want to re-read that quote... it says that the number of EVO devices was 'in line' with the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined. They just messed up on how they were comparing.

What the quote says: Instinct sales + Pre sales = EVO sales totals (close to this number)

Thanks though!
    Actually, I think the press release is trying to say: Instinct first three days sales + Pre first three day says = EVO launch day only sales.

Given both phones most likely sold out on their launch days might as well make what you posted correct. Why did I even post this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I am not surprised, b/c there are still a lot of areas, were the 4G system is not up and running!

Take care, Jay

Sprint Says It Overstated EVO Launch Day Sales
    By REUTERS June 9, 2010, Filed at 12:44 a.m. ET

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/...gewanted=print

NEW YORK/BANGALORE (Reuters) - Sprint Nextel Corp said on Tuesday it had inadvertently overstated the launch day sales of the much anticipated EVO 4G phone from HTC Corp, which is touted as a serious competitor to Apple's iPhone 4.

Sprint said on Tuesday the total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on the launch day was in line with the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined.

"We originally reported that the total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was three times the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined.

"We inadvertently erred in the comparison," Sprint said in a statement on Tuesday.

BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk said he was cutting his estimate for EVO sales in the first weekend to 150,000 from his prior estimate of 250,000 to 300,000.

"Furthermore, our calls to 20 plus stores today indicate that the phone is in short supply, so we do not expect that number to rise significantly in the first week of sales," Piecyk said.

The No. 3 U.S. wireless service provider said it sold six times more EVO phones on the launch date than it did Instinct phones from Samsung Electronics.

Sprint is hoping EVO will help it stem customer losses and give it a head start in selling 4G services. Its biggest rival, Verizon Wireless, a venture of Verizon Communications Inc and Vodafone Group Plc, plans to launch 4G services later this year.

(Reporting by Sinead Carew and Sakthi Prasad; Editing by Steve Orlofsky and Valerie Lee)
    ........ Lollll
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    From the press release in the original post on this thread: "June 4, 2010 sales of HTC EVO 4G marked the largest quantity of a single phone sold in one day ever for Sprint the record was previously held by both Samsung InstinctTM and Palm PreTM. Launch day sales of HTC EVO 4G were six times greater than launch day sales of Samsung Instinct and nearly twice the launch day sales for Palm Pre. We continue to see sales of EVO 4G outpace sales of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre."

It's commonly believed that the Pre sold about 50,000 units on both Launch day and the first 3 days (having sold out the first weekend). This new info would peg launch day sales at 100K for EVO and a laughable 16K for Instinct (Sprint's record prior to Pre). 16K? That's like 2 minutes of sales for an iPhone!
    Hi all,

To me what it means is, that if you fudge your numbers once, you are a liar. I not just dislike liars, I also don't trust them. Therefore, until there is independent corroboration, I don't think I want to trust Sprint's figures on this subject!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    To me what it means is, that if you fudge your numbers once, you are a liar. I not just dislike liars, I also don't trust them.
    Evo didn't out sell the pre!
    ummmmm.....did YOU not "fudge" your thread title a bit?

lol
    No matter how you cut it, they sold more EVOs on the first day than they did Instincts or Pres (their previous flagship phones). Their point is that the EVO is hot, hot, hot...

I've spend some time over on Android Central and have seen many Pre owners who jumped at the EVO, I really wish we knew if that was truly because of the EVO itself, or the apparent lack of direction for Palm devices (as of right now the only thing Sprint Pre owners can possibly look forward to would be the possibility of a Pre+).

Palm may indeed announce a whizbang phone shortly, but there is NO guarantee that it will be on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    ummmmm.....did YOU not "fudge" your thread title a bit?

lol
    Sorry it was 3 am or so when I made the 1st posting. ooooopppppppss
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    ... Palm may indeed announce a whizbang phone shortly, but there is NO guarantee that it will be on Sprint.
    If Palm's next whizbang smartphone doesn't launch on Sprint, there is ZERO possibility that I will be getting it at all. As it stands, I am still seriously looking at the EVO. Even my Palm diehard wife is starting to consider the EVO as a possibility. The only thing that really held me back was the fact that my PC melted down last Wednesday and I needed to replace it prior to replacing my Pre. I figure the rush will pretty much be over in another week and I'll have some unbudgeted overtime money built up by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    If Palm's next whizbang smartphone doesn't launch on Sprint, there is ZERO possibility that I will be getting it at all. As it stands, I am still seriously looking at the EVO. Even my Palm diehard wife is starting to consider the EVO as a possibility. The only thing that really held me back was the fact that my PC melted down last Wednesday and I needed to replace it prior to replacing my Pre. I figure the rush will pretty much be over in another week and I'll have some unbudgeted overtime money built up by then.
    As much as I have been rooting for Palm here. I haven't been blind to the stumbles and misfires they have created. From design to now it's been nearly 2 years with this phone. And we still don't have a idea as to what the new Pre will look like or spec wise. Right now if they said that there would be a presser for the new Pre come September, not even the phone at this time. It would keep people from leaving in droves for the Evo or Iphone.

Throw us a bone here PALM. Give us reason to stay with ya now. All we have been hearing about are printers with WebOS and crickets on what smartphones are coming out if any. As of now I have a crack that goes from the usb connector (sans any door cover, THANKS PALM). To the beginning of the digitizer on the front. Even though it hasn't of yet crossed the digitizer. I can see the crack underneath it. It just hasn't broken on top. That EVO is callin to me. Palm where are you?
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Evo is selling quick, but the initial sales will cool of in two weeks after all the fans buy them. It is still yet to crack that enviable track record of iPhone , i.e. attracting folks from ATT and Verizon.

The iPhone 4 will again do that. However Apple cannot have cake walk. They had it with iPod, but mobile business is a different ball game.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Evo is selling quick, but the initial sales will cool of in two weeks after all the fans buy them. It is still yet to crack that enviable track record of iPhone , i.e. attracting folks from ATT and Verizon.

The iPhone 4 will again do that. However Apple cannot have cake walk. They had it with iPod, but mobile business is a different ball game.

Well, that is true -- the EVO will NEVER beat the iPhone by itself. But the difference is if you want an iPhone, you have ONE carrier and one phone to go to. With Android, you have multiple carriers, and sometimes multiple phones on a single carrier. So, when those are all grouped together that is where the Android market is saying they are coming out ahead of the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    It is still yet to crack that enviable track record of iPhone , i.e. attracting folks from ATT and Verizon.
    I'm not so sure. I personally know several long time iPhone users who are bored with the platform and giving serious consideration to switching to Sprint for the EVO. It probably helps that we live in a 4G city.

That said, I don't understand Sprint's propensity to release their flagship phone in close proximity to a new iPhone release. That's 3 years in a row that they've done that.
    • June 20, 2008: Samsung Instinct
    • July 11, 2008: iPhone 3G
    • June 6, 2009: Palm Pre
    • June 19, 2009: iPhone 3GS
    • June 4, 2010: HTC Evo 4G
    • June 24, 2010: iPhone 4

Wouldn't a release in March or April draw a *LOT* more people? Releasing so close to iPhone makes it easy to wait to see what Apple will release.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I'm not so sure. I personally know several long time iPhone users who are bored with the platform and giving serious consideration to switching to Sprint for the EVO. It probably helps that we live in a 4G city.

That said, I don't understand Sprint's propensity to release their flagship phone in close proximity to a new iPhone release. That's 3 years in a row that they've done that.
    • June 20, 2008: Samsung Instinct
    • July 11, 2008: iPhone 3G
    • June 6, 2009: Palm Pre
    • June 19, 2009: iPhone 3GS
    • June 4, 2010: HTC Evo 4G
    • June 24, 2010: iPhone 4

Wouldn't a release in March or April draw a *LOT* more people? Releasing so close to iPhone makes it easy to wait to see what Apple will release.
    They do that so people won't jump FROM Sprint at the next iPhone announcement... Look at all the people around here that give Palm that ultimatum that if they haven't heard anything by (pick one) Evo Launch/iPhone4/Aug31/whatever... This way Sprint users aren't left "wondering" the way Palm users seem to feel.

If Sprint was the top dog, they wouldn't have to play defense... But Apple is top dog...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    Sprint just posted a News Release, and they "inadvertently erred in the comparison" that they sold 3x the number of EVOS than Pres

It was really the same number of EVOs sold as they sold Palm Pres

Sprint | News Release
    Just another example of media bias... and you won't see this "correction" picked up in the New York Times. Oh no, giving a free pass on this little error. The press wouldn't be so generous to overlook this if it was an error by the CEO of HP, for example. Won't someone start holding the media accountable for such obvious bias and conspiracy to help Android?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Well, that is true -- the EVO will NEVER beat the iPhone by itself. But the difference is if you want an iPhone, you have ONE carrier and one phone to go to. With Android, you have multiple carriers, and sometimes multiple phones on a single carrier. So, when those are all grouped together that is where the Android market is saying they are coming out ahead of the iPhone.
    except in Canada where the iPhone 4 will it will be released on three different carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    They do that so people won't jump FROM Sprint at the next iPhone announcement... Look at all the people around here that give Palm that ultimatum that if they haven't heard anything by (pick one) Evo Launch/iPhone4/Aug31/whatever... This way Sprint users aren't left "wondering" the way Palm users seem to feel.

If Sprint was the top dog, they wouldn't have to play defense... But Apple is top dog...

Comparing Apples to Oranges here... Apple is a manufacturer like palm and HTC... Sprint is a carrier- they in no way compete with apple- no if you mentioned AT&T here you may have an argument, but I don't believe sprint has much competition need there either.

As far as saying that the iPhone is only available on AT&T... in theory yes, but really no- anyone on T-Mo or other GSM carrier can get one that's already unlocked on ebay for a little bit of nothing and use it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast