Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bloomberg/Business Week says 320,000 EVO's sold on launch day.

There are 22,000 Sprint stores. We are told that "A" stores were allocated as many as 50 EVO's. We have also seen in the press estimates of 18 EVO's allocated on average.

Over at Android Central, there were countless people going on searches to find open wait-lists last week and then to find any EVO's left in stock by Friday morning. This morning, many are reporting that EVO's are still on wait lists. A big percentage were saying that the only way they can find EVO's is to call Sprint direct who seems to still have an endless supply.

The real allocations are anyone's guess at Sprint stores, 1,100 Best Buys, and 6,000 Radio Shacks. I was curious on Friday and called a handful of bigger BB, Sprint, etc. and found that everyone I called was sold out.

But let's say that it was only 10 EVO's sold per Sprint store and 5 each at BB and RS. That's 250,000 EVO's retail day 1. Business week added in the Sprint 800 number sales and got their 320,000 day one sales.

A year ago, the speculations were 6 Pre's per Sprint store in the first weekend were sold out plus 800 number sales. That is how they got the 120,000-150,000 estimated Pre's sold in the first weekend.

But Sprint said: "The total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was in line with the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined."

Which puts Bloomberg's estimate right in line and EVO a real contender with the 700k iPhone launch day and 600k launch day for iPad.

One other key element helping the EVO is that Sprint is doing little advertising. The EVO does not have to overcome the Pre's creepy-girl stigma. Better still the EVO was not given a name synonymous with Fairy.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/09/2010 at 09:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You might want to re-read that quote... it says that the number of EVO devices was 'in line' with the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined. They just messed up on how they were comparing.

What the quote says: Instinct sales + Pre sales = EVO sales totals (close to this number)

Thanks though!
    Quote Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
    Actually, I think the press release is trying to say: Instinct first three days sales + Pre first three day says = EVO launch day only sales.

Given both phones most likely sold out on their launch days might as well make what you posted correct. Why did I even post this?
    I am struggling to find a difference between your two posts.

It's like one of you is describing the engine of a car and the other is describing the vroom vroom thingy....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

milominderbiner -- Marketing 101. Palm failed. HTC succeeded.

Of course HTC is working off of the whole "Droid" marketing plan too -- even though that is specific to Verizon, people are equating "Droid" to "EVO" (since it is an Android device).

This is similar to the Windows vs OS/2. OS/2 was by far the superior operating system but IBM failed on marketing, it assumed everyone would flock to it because it was IBM. Bill Gates knew and succeeded in marketing an inferior product.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I just got the EVO yesterday and some features are great but honestly, I seriously miss WebOS. Cut and paste is very hard to use compared to the Pre and there is nothing like the Pre's multi-tasking. If you get the Evo you will see what I mean. My wife still has a Pre so I can continue to do comparisons and see how updates are going on the Pre. I will definitely come back to WebOS but would really like Palm to get their hardware butts in gear before I do so.
    I corrected the thread title to match what the press release said.

It did not say that EVO launch day sales equaled Pre Launch day sales.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I am struggling to find a difference between your two posts.

It's like one of you is describing the engine of a car and the other is describing the vroom vroom thingy....
    Haha... I claim the car I kinda thought we he restated was what I said in the first place. Guess I forgot to dot an 'i' somewhere.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Pre was in short supply for a week. Which was confirmed by SPRINT CFO. They could have done better had they stocked em well.

http://www.precentral.net/sprint-cfo...-well-we-hoped

What ever the reason Evo will be a mega hit. All things equal with other phones (including the "Retina" display iPhone 4) , Evo's screen is the sole reason for the sales. Period.

However Pre (WebOS) is still miles ahead in simple user interface. Apple realized it thus hiring few folks back from Palm.
    Total sales numbers of these two products may be chiefly influenced by the number of in-stock phones. Also to my memory the the EVO has been hyped more seriously than the Pre was, because it is not only a new phone but also launches "4G" handset service.

Also remember that with the Pre lots of people had to migrate to SEP plans and this was an impediment. That is why I stuck with my Treo 755P and m wife's centro. We just weren't ready to abandon our really affordable plan. With the Evo release many people were already on the Everything plans so the Evo just meant eating a $ 10 charge (which itself has lead to some controversy)

I purchased one (no 4G in my area). Oddly enough I carry two phones an EVO and a Verizon Pre+(work phone). The Evo is one powerful phone with more apps especially free ones and the GPS works well unlike the Pre. That said the Pre + has a better interface, I think the OS is just better. I had an Iphone, I like the Palm Web OS better.

I have had Palms since the 3com days and they always seem to have the best throught out OS but then wait too long to update it or the hardware that goes with it. They always seem to do something that shoots them selves. Like no WiFi in the Treo line till the Pro. no Micro SD in the Pre series etc.

I do remember that the Pre + setup with Google Calendar, Gmail, Contacts, Facebook and my employers Imap email was the smoothest process in my 25+ years as an IT professional. Best of any device EVER! The Evo is nice in operation but I did have to get help from sprint to get the contacts linked with facebook contacts and the email setup was not automatic like the Pre + was.

I hope HP can make a good go of it, and come this time next year we will be blown away by a game changing Web OS phone.
    it's three am and you must be lonely...
    Sprint clarified their remarks - the sales did NOT equal the combined 3 day total of the instinct and Pre - they now say it equaled 1 to 3 times Pre OR the Instinct, I think.

Saw the remarks in the NY Times or Wall Street Journal today.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    "The total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was in line with the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined."
    3 days of Pre and Intinct < 1 day of EVO sales

I only buy consumer products based on useless statistics such as "who sold more on launch".

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Won't someone start holding the media accountable for such obvious bias and conspiracy to help Android?
    ...it's just a phone, not a lifestyle or political movement
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

Quote Originally Posted by octoberorange View Post
    I only buy consumer products based on useless statistics such as "who sold more on launch".
    You'd be surprised at how many tech users use this line of thinking to buy products.

When a phone becomes a lifestyle al la the iPhone, that is when I platform takes off.

Sorry, I had my sarcasm font disabled. Please re-read with tongue in cheek for a similar effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossm812 View Post
    Comparing Apples to Oranges here... Apple is a manufacturer like palm and HTC... Sprint is a carrier- they in no way compete with apple- no if you mentioned AT&T here you may have an argument, but I don't believe sprint has much competition need there either.

As far as saying that the iPhone is only available on AT&T... in theory yes, but really no- anyone on T-Mo or other GSM carrier can get one that's already unlocked on ebay for a little bit of nothing and use it.
    Well, the major carriers are determined to align themselves so tightly with the manufacturer that they become the same thing in the minds of their customers:

AT&T = iPhone
    Verizon = Droid (they $200million on MotoDroid to prove it) 1st MotoDroid and now Incredible. Verizon doesn't want the iPhone.
    Sprint = Evo (emerging strategy - harder because it's still Android) Previosly tried with Palm and Blackberry, now trying again with Evo and 4G.

Each is trying to align with a specific killer brand and device. Those may change over time, but you will see each carrier pick one at a time to differentiate them from AT&T=iPhone.

At the present, Sprint is positioning themselves as Sprint=Evo=4G. Their ads barely mention Android. It's about Evo and 4G...

Each has signed up to the notion of a "flagship" phone and to promoting one at a time, rather than "look at how many similar devices we have to confuse you" that had been the strategy before iPhone. And it's working for VZ, because they have done well without the iPhone. It's working for Google as seen by Android now outselling iPhone...

...just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Well, the major carriers are determined to align themselves so tightly with the manufacturer that they become the same thing in the minds of their customers:

Verizon = Droid (they $200million on MotoDroid to prove it) 1st MotoDroid and now Incredible. Verizon doesn't want the iPhone.
    Waaaaaaaat?!
    ... it's just a phone, not a lifestyle or political movement
    I could say the same thing about the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Waaaaaaaat?!
    Just what I said. Verizon wants to become synonymous with Android the way AT&T is synonymous with iPhone... They spent several hundred million dollars on that strategy to launch MotoDroid, and they are now repeating it with HTC Incredible.

Notice their commercials are for DROID... and that they only promote one phone at the end... they didn't spend upwards of $200million without a specific plan.

Sprint gets caught between the VZ+Droid against AT&T+iPhone battle, and is trying to keep a 3rd front open with Sprint=4G+Evo.

Very simple to see, IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    You'd be surprised at how many tech users use this line of thinking to buy products.
    I believe it has a bearing on Developers also.
    They want to develop apps for the bigger seller.
    Just call me Berd.
    I do not understand why everyone keeps overlooking this from the corrected press release:

Launch day sales of HTC EVO 4G were six times greater than launch day sales of Samsung Instinct and nearly twice the launch day sales for Palm Pre.
    This seems very clear to me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast