Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    There's either something wrong with his phone, he's in a very poor signal area, or he's full of crap. I'm getting 16-17 hours of moderate use out of my EVO daily. I don't worry about battery life at all until near bedtime.
    Yeah from what i read most people battery life is similar to other android devices or at the worst, better than the Pre's. Though there are random people who say they get 4 hours of battery life.

I think its user ignorance (having a widget that pings the internet constantly) or bad service area.
    btw engadget article about this very topic:

iPhone or EVO: which one should you get? -- Engadget
    The one with the BEST battery life! iPhone4 featurephone wins in a landslide victory!
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why the Evo has an edge over iPhone 4 IMO:

Android is still more open than iPhone OS. The screen is bigger although that makes the phone wider. But iPhone is staying at 3.5 and I think even the Incredible is 3.7 or 3.8. I don't get that line of thought on Apple's part to keep the screen the same size. You can still get a removable battery. No AT&T gimping your data.
    As usual, you seem to be right on the money. Let me add that the EVO also has a MicroSDHC slot. The thing that has always bugged me about the iPhone is the inability of the user to change the battery. At least with the Evo, if I'm out with the family, I can change the battery if I run out of juice. With the iPhone, I need to find an outlet.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    There's either something wrong with his phone, he's in a very poor signal area, or he's full of crap. I'm getting 16-17 hours of moderate use out of my EVO daily. I don't worry about battery life at all until near bedtime.
    Ditto. Even on days when I've watched a movie on the phone, played games, took pictures/video, as well as calls and emails, I still get 10 - 12 hours. I don't have a battery issue with the Evo.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Better screen
    Better camera
    Far better batter life
    Far better selection of apps
    Better build (glass front and back)
    Better form factor (Try putting an EVO in a pocket)

Nothing?
    Better screen- Higher res yes, but smaller, easier to use the onscreen keyboard on the Evo if you have bigger fingers.

Better camera- debateable, iPhone has better apps for manipulating the photos...for now.

Far better battery life- On one charge, probably. But the point is irrelevant if you carry a spare battery for the Evo. While it's not ideal, I NEVER have to worry about running out of power.

Better selection of apps- definately

Better build- very debateable. I've seen what happens to the glass when dropped from 4'. It's not pretty. The Evo is a solid device.

Better form factor (try putting an EVO in a pocket)- I put my EVO in my pocket everyday. Not an issue at all. I thought it would be before I got one. But it isn't.

The bottomline is that this competition is great for the consumers. IF Sprint had the iPhone, I probably would have taken a look. However, having played with the iPhone extensively, my choice still would likely be the EVO...for now.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post

Far better battery life- On one charge, probably. But the point is irrelevant if you carry a spare battery for the Evo. While it's not ideal, I NEVER have to worry about running out of power.
    You do realize that there are countless battery options on the iPhone right?

From AllThingsD (Peter = HTC CEO)
    12:22PM Question is about battery life.

Peter: We are using extreme modes, and the battery is a concern. What we're trying to do is -- the battery is removable, unlike the iPhone -- you can remove it and replace it. This is one area that we're really working on improving. I don't have a lot of good news.

Q: So I should sell my second phone and just buy a bunch of batteries?

Peter: Well, if you're just checking email your battery life should be okay...

Better build- very debateable. I've seen what happens to the glass when dropped from 4'. It's not pretty. The Evo is a solid device.
    Don't read this then: HTC Evo 4G problems pile up | VentureBeat

Don't try to remove the memory card:
    HTC Evo 4G Issues Linked To Horrid Design?

I had high hopes for the EVO, the Sprint calling plans are excellent. Unfortunately, I'll likely dump my Palm Pre and go with the iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    This is dead on: "MG Siegler irrationally loves the iPhone and it has become an important fashion accessory and self confidence crutch in his San Francisco hipster lifestyle. I'm pretty sure Apple could remove the iPhone's ability to make calls entirely and MG would still find a way to love it."
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by add309 View Post
    absolutely no choppiness, the display model probably had thousands of things being proccessed as it is a display model and how many people mess with it? with the free easy and quick use of taskiller everything gets free'd up, it runs smoother than silk, taskiller is basically equal to jstop, but easier to use
    Smoother than silk? Corduroy maybe. Ive now played with a total of 3 Evo's and they all are choppy when scrolling in the app launcher. In fact, I'd dare say the Pre is smoother when it comes to scrolling. On the last test I did, I even killed all the running apps first and it was just as choppy.
    With the news about the Evo being limited to 30fps, I'm thinking this might be my answer?

This is not a huge deal to me, but it is disappointing. I will still contend that I have not seen a recent smartphone that can scroll as smoothly as even a first generation (2G) iPhone, let alone a new iPhone.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    This is dead on: "MG Siegler irrationally loves the iPhone and it has become an important fashion accessory and self confidence crutch in his San Francisco hipster lifestyle. I'm pretty sure Apple could remove the iPhone's ability to make calls entirely and MG would still find a way to love it."
    But at the bottom line:

MG might be the most loyal Apple ****** in the world, but his review of the EVO was dead on.
    'nuff said
    User reviews and reports matter more to me than what bloggers say. But I always need to see for myself in the end. I get something and find I don't always agree with "official" reviewers. Also not always user reviews either. Sometimes you just have to see for yourself if something will work for you or not.

That said, I can't move carriers just for a phone that has reported problems. I need to do more waiting and seeing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Don't read this then: HTC Evo 4G problems pile up | VentureBeat

Don't try to remove the memory card:
    HTC Evo 4G Issues Linked To Horrid Design?
    I don't have to read it. I own the phone. I don't have any issues with it. As for the memory card, I've changed mine, no big deal. At least the EVO has one.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    User reviews and reports matter more to me than what bloggers say. But I always need to see for myself in the end. I get something and find I don't always agree with "official" reviewers. Also not always user reviews either. Sometimes you just have to see for yourself if something will work for you or not.
    I couldn't agree more. Had I listened to the bloggers, I never would have tried the Pre. In the end, the device has to work for the person who buys it. For me, I loved the flow of WebOS. However, I didn't like the battery life of the Pre, the fact that I couldn't delete facebook contacts, and the lack of apps. That's just me. I'm now enjoying my EVO experience. I've had no issues with build, battery, or software/OS. Will I switch phones again in the future? I'm absolutely sure I will.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Had I listened to the bloggers, I never would have tried the Pre. In the end, the device has to work for the person who buys it. For me, I loved the flow of WebOS. However, I didn't like the battery life of the Pre, the fact that I couldn't delete facebook contacts, and the lack of apps. That's just me. I'm now enjoying my EVO experience. I've had no issues with build, battery, or software/OS. Will I switch phones again in the future? I'm absolutely sure I will.
    Same here. These people are just trying to run a small time smear campaign on the evo. My experience with the phone has been nothing short of awesome, and I call BS on these so called expert reviews. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Smoother than silk? Corduroy maybe. Ive now played with a total of 3 Evo's and they all are choppy when scrolling in the app launcher. In fact, I'd dare say the Pre is smoother when it comes to scrolling. On the last test I did, I even killed all the running apps first and it was just as choppy.
    With the news about the Evo being limited to 30fps, I'm thinking this might be my answer?

This is not a huge deal to me, but it is disappointing. I will still contend that I have not seen a recent smartphone that can scroll as smoothly as even a first generation (2G) iPhone, let alone a new iPhone.
    Disappointing? Please. That's just nitpicking in my book. To top it though, a software update will correct the 30 fps situation. Wait, haven't palm and apple done this in the past as well to improve their interface/software? Yes I believe they have. Now does that mean their devices were unusable or "disappointing" before the updates and /or countless patches?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Disappointing? Please. That's just nitpicking in my book. To top it though, a software update will correct the 30 fps situation. Wait, haven't palm and apple done this in the past as well to improve their interface/software? Yes I believe they have. Now does that mean their devices were unusable or "disappointing" before the updates and /or countless patches?
    Oh, so you don't think it's disappointing that a brand new smartphone packing state of the art hardware can't accomplish something as (seemingly) basic as smooth scrolling when compared to a 3 year old iPhone 2G with relatively ancient hardware?
    I never said it was a reason to not buy the Evo, (in fact I will probably end up buying one myself) but is it really that unreasonable to be just a little disappointed by the lack of polish? It's not like HTC is a newcomer to this game.

I have a history of being disappointed by HTC devices, though in my case they were all windows mobile smartphones. I was really hoping that things had changed since those dark days, but the whole 30fps thing is eerily reminiscent of their lack of video drivers on a few of their WinMo devices. You're right though, it could definitely be fixed by a software update.
    Oh, so you don't think it's disappointing that a brand new smartphone packing state of the art hardware can't accomplish something as (seemingly) basic as smooth scrolling when compared to a 3 year old iPhone 2G with relatively ancient hardware?
    I never said it was a reason to not buy the Evo, (in fact I will probably end up buying one myself) but is it really that unreasonable to be just a little disappointed by the lack of polish? It's not like HTC is a newcomer to this game.
    S
    I have a history of being disappointed by HTC devices, though in my case they were all windows mobile smartphones. I was really hoping that things had changed since those dark days, but the whole 30fps thing is eerily reminiscent of their lack of video drivers on a few of their WinMo devices. You're right though, it could definitely be fixed by a software update.
    I don't have a beef with this phone. I think its an awesome experience. Honestly I expect future updates to further enhance the software performance. I'm too pleased with so many other aspects of this device to be even remotely upset about something like fps. All in good time.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I don't have a beef with this phone. I think its an awesome experience. Honestly I expect future updates to further enhance the software performance. I'm too pleased with so many other aspects of this device to be even remotely upset about something like fps. All in good time.
    So I assume you left a Pre for the Evo? I don't mean to derail this thread, but a quick sidebar:

I realize you're still in the honeymoon phase, but what are your honest feelings on the move? (things you like, things you don't like) A lot of buzz has been made over the battery life - how does it compare (on average) to the Pre?
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    So I assume you left a Pre for the Evo? I don't mean to derail this thread, but a quick sidebar:

I realize you're still in the honeymoon phase, but what are your honest feelings on the move? (things you like, things you don't like) A lot of buzz has been made over the battery life - how does it compare (on average) to the Pre?
    Honestly, there are always trade offs. I really liked the WebOS experience for the most part. Closing out programs on WebOS is much better than Android; a swipe and it's closed. It takes a few touches to the "back" button to get out of many Android apps. It's not really a big deal. It's just that WebOS was easier. I like the fact that I can decide for myself which contacts to keep or delete on the EVO (Facebook). I LOVE the screen size on the EVO. I didn't think I would like the on-screen keyboard as opposed to the one on the Pre, as I've had issues with the keyboard on the iPhone. However, the transition has been rather easy. I like being able to add memory to my device. I really think Palm missed the boat by not including a MicroSD slot.

BATTERY: If I use the EVO the same way I used my Pre, I easily get double the life on the battery. When I use the EVO more, and let me tell you it's hard not to, I can take my phone off the charger at 7:30am and still have 25-30% battery left at 10pm.

So far, the experience has been really good with the EVO. I would most certainly take a good long look at any new HP/Palm device in the future. That is, as long as they create a device that can do or surpass what other devices of that time offer. I might also switch back if HP creates a new Pad with WebOS to go along with a new phone. really can't see myself going back to the Pre at this point.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast