Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 103
  1. #61  
    Android is general App launch has a choppy appearance when you scroll. At least from what i've noticed. Like its responsive, but it looks like its moving at a low frame rate.

    hard to explain.
  2. #62  
    You can see an example here:
  3. #63  
    Let me start off by saying I feel a lot of people haven't experienced the wonders of a jailbroken iPhone yet which is really hampering peoples opinions of it. True, it shouldn't require one to make use out of the phone but its there no less. But on to my review and outtake on the Evo and iPhone 4G (outtake only of the iPhone 4 since I haven't held one yet).

    First off the EVO 4G is a nice phone. I won't talk about all of the features because you guys already know. If you're on Sprint and you want to upgrade and an extra $10 a month isn't much to you go for it I say. But if you're like me and you've seen the new releases of Android twice a year and an even more frequent release of HTC devices you will be like "forget it". I really don't have a problem with the releases and upgrades, my problem lies within Android itself. Android is really supposed to be called Android Beta, when you think of Beta you think of unfinished software. Android will be in Beta until Android Zebra Cakes and that's a problem for me because it lets me know I won't see a complete OS until maybe around 2020. Android is an OS made for more than one device. It can't have specific features or that cohesiveness seen with iOS and the iPhone because google made it for multiple devices.

    iOS on the other hand is complete for the iDevices. Its always complete for the user, their betas are released to developers for testing only, Apple doesn't want its customers becoming guinea pigs for errors. I might come off as crazy but watch a Steve Jobs interview on D8 or his recent keynote. This guy really enjoys his products. He really wants them to have the best experience. Steve seems like a guy who would put a phone launch on hold before releasing some crap to a customer for a quick buck. I would much rather have a guy like this governing a phone for me rather than unknown people juggling together hardware and software from different parts of the world.

    When people say the iPhone 4 is somehow beneath the EVO it makes me wonder just how much they really know about gadgets. The iPhone 4's only flaw in my eyes is AT&T, Steve knows this, as well as every one of AT&T's customers. But don't you think its strange millions of people will stick with AT&T's flaws just to hold onto their iPhone. That has to say something.

    Regarding new features, FaceTime might be Wifi only to the less experienced customer but give that to a jailbroken customer and they will be doing it on 3G in no time. I'm not even concerned. There's an app that makes the iPhone think 3G is really wifi, problem solved. There's iMovies, you create a movie on your phone, from the engadget review the phone moves fast without lag, something my Pre does taking regular pictures and the EVO did multiple times at Radio Shack.

    Battery life has increased, the higher resolution with Retina Display, body structure antenna, multitasking done in a way to save battery life (but I still prefer the iPhone jailbroken WebOS Card way), A FRIGGIN GYROSCOPE!! ***! This alone is enough to drop your pants and let AT&T do its thing. I mean why wasn't this thought of before. There are many more but really...did the EVO even come close.

    I wanted to love the EVO, I forced my friend to come with me to look at the thing and she was disgusted by it. I didn't think it was too big but she did. The overall functionality wasn't as fluid as I wanted for a phone. It was faster than other Android devices I played with but it wasn't my cup of tea. I would have got it as an extra device to play with if it didn't require the $10 4G charge but woopdy-do. BTW, totally irrelevant but when I was talking to the CS rep at radio shack, you know she had the nerve to tell me the $10 charge was for the great features of the EVO and not the 4G, I was about to go at her but I said forget it.
  4. #64  
    I played with an iPhone for about 15 mins. prolly 2 - 3 years ago. Maybe it was just a 2g. I don't remember. I don't get out much. and I'm still using my Treo. I played with an EVO for about 15 mins today.
    With no more than that to go by, I favor the iphone OS.
    I know... not much to debate. But if I had to choose the one over the other, i'd choose an iPhone.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Better screen
    Better camera
    Far better batter life
    Far better selection of apps
    Better build (glass front and back)
    Better form factor (Try putting an EVO in a pocket)

    Nothing?
    Oh, this one is too easy...

    Better camera? Really? I know pure megapixel numbers mean nothing but do you own either of them?

    Batter? Oh, you mean battery life. You've had your iphone for how long now? Care to tell us how the battery life is working out so far?

    When are enough apps, well, enough? Do we need 40,000+ apps to be satisfied? How many apps does one need? Do we need 800 ifart apps? You're aware the vast majority of the apps go untouched, right? That holds true for Android apps as well.


    Glass? Please explain the superiority of glass on a mobile handset.


    Size is relative. I wouldn't expect it to fit in my daughters pocket but it fits fine in mine. Do you have an Evo? Oh, thats right, you don't, do you?
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by add309 View Post
    lol so palm news is sooooo slow that we have to compare iphone 4 and evo, lmao ok well heres what im thinking of this, iphone 4 is gonna blow everyone out of the water (theyre kinda famous for it), but wait a minute, the water is already looking pretty empty, oh wait thats right last week everyone jumped ship over to the evo, hmmmmmm and ever since this page has gone down in value, i know and im sorry but someone had to say it... they are two completely different phones so i find it hard to compare the two, although i did see steve jobs talking about how "innovative" this new iphone is, unfortunatly almost everything that he listed off as a new feature looked as if it was just stolen from other smartphones and jammed into one device, i got an ipod i dont need an iphone, what? video conferencing you say, well my evo handles that juuuusssssttt fine as well as fluent easy to use multi tasking which true may not be the same as webos but its everything i need in that respect, the evo is a superior phone running an inferior OS, however android has surprised me coming from webos, it runs very fluently with no hiccups that i have found yet, as for people saying the evo looks and feels cheap in person? maybe and just maybe you say a plastic shell of one and thought that was it, but i can tell you that this thing is durable! Not to mention that i went through 8 pre's in the course of one year due to crap hardware so i REALLY think this is the wrong place for dogging on competitors hardware, and as for the size to be completely honest i really do feel that the evo feels better in pocket than the pre, and theres not even a possibility of the oreo effect on it . . . i still love webos but they need a better hardware build, hopefully HP can turn that around but as of right now, the biggest and best smartphones of the year have been introduced and will both be out by the end of the month, palm still has made absolutely NO comments on anything new, that scares me... oh and one last thing, yes the evo not having a keyboard does suck, big time, however i have to admit the voice to text feature works absoultely perfectly. . . I wanna clarify that i do love webos and do not feel as if i need a scolding over this post, i just had to come out and say that the evo is by far amazing!

    I do believe this is the winner of the longest run-on sentence
  7. #67  
    Regarding EVO lag... it multitasks so you have to kill some programs sometimes. My guess is the ones you have tried at various stores do not have an App killer installed and likely have 20 apps running.

    I was thinking... you know what would be really cool is if the EVO could have a way to sort of swipe away open apps. Much like a hand of playing cards and being able to discard one you no longer want......
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    Let me start off by saying I feel a lot of people haven't experienced the wonders of a jailbroken iPhone yet which is really hampering peoples opinions of it. True, it shouldn't require one to make use out of the phone but its there no less. But on to my review and outtake on the Evo and iPhone 4G (outtake only of the iPhone 4 since I haven't held one yet).

    First off the EVO 4G is a nice phone. I won't talk about all of the features because you guys already know. If you're on Sprint and you want to upgrade and an extra $10 a month isn't much to you go for it I say. But if you're like me and you've seen the new releases of Android twice a year and an even more frequent release of HTC devices you will be like "forget it". I really don't have a problem with the releases and upgrades, my problem lies within Android itself. Android is really supposed to be called Android Beta, when you think of Beta you think of unfinished software. Android will be in Beta until Android Zebra Cakes and that's a problem for me because it lets me know I won't see a complete OS until maybe around 2020. Android is an OS made for more than one device. It can't have specific features or that cohesiveness seen with iOS and the iPhone because google made it for multiple devices.

    iOS on the other hand is complete for the iDevices. Its always complete for the user, their betas are released to developers for testing only, Apple doesn't want its customers becoming guinea pigs for errors. I might come off as crazy but watch a Steve Jobs interview on D8 or his recent keynote. This guy really enjoys his products. He really wants them to have the best experience. Steve seems like a guy who would put a phone launch on hold before releasing some crap to a customer for a quick buck. I would much rather have a guy like this governing a phone for me rather than unknown people juggling together hardware and software from different parts of the world.

    When people say the iPhone 4 is somehow beneath the EVO it makes me wonder just how much they really know about gadgets. The iPhone 4's only flaw in my eyes is AT&T, Steve knows this, as well as every one of AT&T's customers. But don't you think its strange millions of people will stick with AT&T's flaws just to hold onto their iPhone. That has to say something.

    Regarding new features, FaceTime might be Wifi only to the less experienced customer but give that to a jailbroken customer and they will be doing it on 3G in no time. I'm not even concerned. There's an app that makes the iPhone think 3G is really wifi, problem solved. There's iMovies, you create a movie on your phone, from the engadget review the phone moves fast without lag, something my Pre does taking regular pictures and the EVO did multiple times at Radio Shack.

    Battery life has increased, the higher resolution with Retina Display, body structure antenna, multitasking done in a way to save battery life (but I still prefer the iPhone jailbroken WebOS Card way), A FRIGGIN GYROSCOPE!! ***! This alone is enough to drop your pants and let AT&T do its thing. I mean why wasn't this thought of before. There are many more but really...did the EVO even come close.

    I wanted to love the EVO, I forced my friend to come with me to look at the thing and she was disgusted by it. I didn't think it was too big but she did. The overall functionality wasn't as fluid as I wanted for a phone. It was faster than other Android devices I played with but it wasn't my cup of tea. I would have got it as an extra device to play with if it didn't require the $10 4G charge but woopdy-do. BTW, totally irrelevant but when I was talking to the CS rep at radio shack, you know she had the nerve to tell me the $10 charge was for the great features of the EVO and not the 4G, I was about to go at her but I said forget it.
    All that's great, but it all adds up to "the same iPhone experience, but prettier, faster, more apps, etc."

    That's not good enough for me, and it's not good enough for a lot of people here.

    Don't get me wrong: There's plenty of irrational, zealous anti-iPhone sentiment in these forums that just kinda makes me shake my head. But if the iPhone experience - such as it is - isn't up to par for you, no amount of retina displays and gyroscopes will change that. It's the same tap, tap, tap, double-tap....ugh, crappy notifications" that it's been since...what...2007?

    Android and WebOS have spoiled me in that I like having my smartphone doing the work for me. I like having things pushed to me - notifications, unified messaging, weather, what have you. I like it pushed to me in an unobtrusive way. I want my device to be an active, multitasking conduit for these things.

    The iPhone is not that device. Without a notifications drawer at the bottom or shade at the top, it's really a do-things-one-at-a-time device, even with their recent bolt-on of a task switcher. With the crappy notifications, it works against me to get me the info I want in the way I want it. It was never meant to be that device, which is why the iOS is so awesome in so many other regards - design consistency, fluidity, responsiveness - and yet clunky with notifications and task switching.

    That is the iPhone's only flaw in my eyes. But that's a big flaw. Too big.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    All that's great, but it all adds up to "the same iPhone experience, but prettier, faster, more apps, etc."

    That's not good enough for me, and it's not good enough for a lot of people here.

    Don't get me wrong: There's plenty of irrational, zealous anti-iPhone sentiment in these forums that just kinda makes me shake my head. But if the iPhone experience - such as it is - isn't up to par for you, no amount of retina displays and gyroscopes will change that. It's the same tap, tap, tap, double-tap....ugh, crappy notifications" that it's been since...what...2007?

    Android and WebOS have spoiled me in that I like having my smartphone doing the work for me. I like having things pushed to me - notifications, unified messaging, weather, what have you. I like it pushed to me in an unobtrusive way. I want my device to be an active, multitasking conduit for these things.

    The iPhone is not that device. Without a notifications drawer at the bottom or shade at the top, it's really a do-things-one-at-a-time device, even with their recent bolt-on of a task switcher. With the crappy notifications, it works against me to get me the info I want in the way I want it. It was never meant to be that device, which is why the iOS is so awesome in so many other regards - design consistency, fluidity, responsiveness - and yet clunky with notifications and task switching.

    That is the iPhone's only flaw in my eyes. But that's a big flaw. Too big.
    Can't say i care for the flaws you mentioned either. But jailbreaking makes it less painful.

    There's flaws in every platform/device though. I find the notifications to be something i can overlook given what else it does.

    I do think Apple is aware of it and will improve this. Probably not til next year though. The voices wanting better notifications will only get louder as the list of what they wanted gets dwindled (things like multitasking).

    I can't comment on the task switching til i've used 4.0. I've been ok with jailbreak task switching.

    At least i won't be playing the flip flop game this year like i did with the palm pre and iphone last year. This year the choice seems more obvious. And more permanent since i've canceled my sprint lines.
  10. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The iPhone is not that device. Without a notifications drawer at the bottom or shade at the top, it's really a do-things-one-at-a-time device, even with their recent bolt-on of a task switcher. With the crappy notifications, it works against me to get me the info I want in the way I want it. It was never meant to be that device, which is why the iOS is so awesome in so many other regards - design consistency, fluidity, responsiveness - and yet clunky with notifications and task switching.

    That is the iPhone's only flaw in my eyes. But that's a big flaw. Too big.
    Well then, it's good Apple hired the guy who designed WebOS notifications back.

    PreCentral: Father of webOS notifications leaves for Apple
    "The man who "Invented the non-intrusive banner notification system used in webOS" and also did all sorts of other work for the OS, Rich Dellinger, is leaving Palm to return to his earlier employer, Apple, as a Senior User Interface Designer. "

    And with the guy who led the WebOS WebUI interface going to Android to streamline their UI then the competition is only going to get slicker.

    PreCentral: Matías Duarte leaving Palm for Google
    "As Palm’s Vice President of Human Interface and User Experience, Duarte and his team were responsible by-and-large for making webOS look and behave the way it looks and behave. "

    Some can argue that Palm doesn't need them anymore since they already perfected everything. But many will just roll their eyes after hearing that and wonder who else is running out the door to put their work on a product with a bigger audience.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Steve Jobs is like a Used Car Sales man he can sell you steaming pile of crap with apple logo on it.
    Fact: Verizon spent over 100 million dollars on an ad campaign exploiting the iPhone to create a buzz for it's product. The same product that kicked off the Android revolution.

    What does that tell us?

    That Motorola, Verizon, and Google, recognize Apple as the team to be beat...

    What else does it tell us?

    That Steve Jobs has inadvertenly helped sell more pieces of sh!t than you might realize...in the form of Android Handsets! Haha!

    Android: "The House that Apple built!"

    disclaimer: I'm an open unashamed Palm fanbyo but seeing as my team is not in the championship game this season...down w/ Android!
    Last edited by ethic3; 06/09/2010 at 10:39 AM.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I was thinking... you know what would be really cool is if the EVO could have a way to sort of swipe away open apps. Much like a hand of playing cards and being able to discard one you no longer want......
    No chance.
    If it happens, Apple will do it first.
  13. #73  
    iPhone UI is too limited. Still. Widgets on android is easily its biggest strength.

    Yeah sure iPhone probably has a more "cohesive" feel...but if that doesn't bother you, i think you'll get more useful uses out of a good android phone than the iPhone.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Well then, it's good Apple hired the guy who designed WebOS notifications back.

    PreCentral: Father of webOS notifica...aves for Apple
    "The man who "Invented the non-intrusive banner notification system used in webOS" and also did all sorts of other work for the OS, Rich Dellinger, is leaving Palm to return to his earlier employer, Apple, as a Senior User Interface Designer. "

    And with the guy who led the WebOS WebUI interface going to Android to streamline their UI then the competition is only going to get slicker.

    /PreCentral: Matías Duarte leaving Palm for Google
    "As Palm’s Vice President of Human Interface and User Experience, Duarte and his team were responsible by-and-large for making webOS look and behave the way it looks and behave. "

    Some can argue that Palm doesn't need them anymore since they already perfected everything. But many will just roll their eyes after hearing that and wonder who else is running out the door to put their work on a product with a bigger audience.
    That sounds awesome, but he was ex-Apple employee anyway, and I think any new notifications on iPhone will be a clunky bolt-on like their task switcher.

    No device can be great everything.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I was thinking... you know what would be really cool is if the EVO could have a way to sort of swipe away open apps. Much like a hand of playing cards and being able to discard one you no longer want......
    You can download TaskOS from the Market. Open it and swipe away whatever programs you want.
  16. add309's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd-Ball View Post
    I do believe this is the winner of the longest run-on sentence
    lol true, but every run on point i made was true
  17. add309's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Quick question, for those of you who own or have played with an Evo, did you notice any sluggishness when scrolling in the app launcher? I checked one out yesterday at a Sprint store and was quite surprised to see the choppiness. Could have been that the thing was in need of a reboot, but still - a little disconcerting.
    absolutely no choppiness, the display model probably had thousands of things being proccessed as it is a display model and how many people mess with it? with the free easy and quick use of taskiller everything gets free'd up, it runs smoother than silk, taskiller is basically equal to jstop, but easier to use
  18. #78  
    EVO is on Sprint. iPhone is on AT&T.
    EVO wins. Game over. No further discussion is necessary.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    All that's great, but it all adds up to "the same iPhone experience, but prettier, faster, more apps, etc."

    That's not good enough for me, and it's not good enough for a lot of people here.

    Don't get me wrong: There's plenty of irrational, zealous anti-iPhone sentiment in these forums that just kinda makes me shake my head. But if the iPhone experience - such as it is - isn't up to par for you, no amount of retina displays and gyroscopes will change that. It's the same tap, tap, tap, double-tap....ugh, crappy notifications" that it's been since...what...2007?

    Android and WebOS have spoiled me in that I like having my smartphone doing the work for me. I like having things pushed to me - notifications, unified messaging, weather, what have you. I like it pushed to me in an unobtrusive way. I want my device to be an active, multitasking conduit for these things.

    The iPhone is not that device. Without a notifications drawer at the bottom or shade at the top, it's really a do-things-one-at-a-time device, even with their recent bolt-on of a task switcher. With the crappy notifications, it works against me to get me the info I want in the way I want it. It was never meant to be that device, which is why the iOS is so awesome in so many other regards - design consistency, fluidity, responsiveness - and yet clunky with notifications and task switching.

    That is the iPhone's only flaw in my eyes. But that's a big flaw. Too big.
    That is true, for some odd reason everything else runs smooth but notifications. Hopefully Apple's newest addition Rich Dillinger can solve this. It doesn't even seem a year away but more like a quick update 4.1. Currently I have a jailbroken app running SBsettings, it can drop down over any app, in the lock screen, etc and display wifi controls, reset controls and more. The same could be done for the notifications.

    Even if Apple doesn't do it the Jailbreaking community needs to get on it. I believe they have a limited functioning one called GriP. I haven't tested it but I will later. But even so, I feel like once you jailbreak, install proswitcher, you can leave open sms's, phone logs, etc, and you can always just swipe up and over (WebOS Style; no buttons used!) to get to that app. You don't even need to go into it because proswitcher gives you an icon badge of how many new messages or missed calls are waiting for each app.

    Its not the greatest but even if you look at WebOS, it runs on slow hardware which makes the experience horrible. I put a lecture on my Pre the other day so I could keep busy with my phone and running the music player was too much for my Pre. It lagged, it took about 20 seconds to start to play the 2 hour lecture and that is uncool. Another incident happened with my Pre while I was mowing the lawn, I accidentally dropped it, and it turned off, took about 10 minutes literately to turn on. Now what if there was an emergency and I needed my phone right away, I'm fresh out of luck. It takes about 15-30 seconds to reset an iPhone.

    If you watch Steve Jobs on D8 he talks about products coming in packages...some items get added, some might get partially added, and some not at all. Notifications was one of those neglected but hopefully not for much longer.
  20. #80  

    Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions